Evangelion ANIMA (general)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Riotgear
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Riotgear » Tue May 31, 2011 6:35 am

Stryker:
Rei III (Trois) looks like normal, though her hair sometimes looks a bit lighter or brighter in Anima's artwork. I think both of these (1, 2) are Rei Trois.
Chapters with character page art feat. Trois: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Rei IV (Quatre) is easy to identify due to her silver hair.
Chapters with character page art feat. Quatre: 1 | 2

Rei V (Cinq) is also easy to identify due to her shorter hair which is often colored in a more purple shade than normal (though yes, Six has also been depicted with the same shade of hair color). Cinq, being mentioned as the one to have 'evolved' the furthest, seems to look more cheerful most of the time.
Chapters with character page art feat. Cinq: 1

Chapter with art of Quatre and Cinq together: 1

Rei VI (Six) is obviously the young child body.
Chapters with character page art feat. Six: 1 | 2 | 3

Some of that is just my guesses, but the Anima Visual Book does confirm some of those artworks as those iterations of Rei.

TMBounty Hunter: Do the GNN pages still appear in Dengeki Hobby? I always liked seeing those, being a merch whore and all. Perhaps you decided not to scan them - if so, I understand. You're already doing us a huge favor scanning what you do.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Tue May 31, 2011 9:43 am

View Original PostRiotgear wrote:Chapter with art of Quatre and Cinq together: 1

:scanners_head:

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue May 31, 2011 10:11 am

View Original PostRiotgear wrote:Stryker:
TMBounty Hunter: Do the GNN pages still appear in Dengeki Hobby? I always liked seeing those, being a merch whore and all. Perhaps you decided not to scan them - if so, I understand. You're already doing us a huge favor scanning what you do.

Yes it's still there I just got lazy :P

I've been MIA these past few interesting days because of a con but now I'm back and I've already talked to symbv over PMs. It's a lovely thing he's doing so everyone make sure not to kill this thread :D

One question I have for the masses though is how do you want to go about this? I didn't want to jump straight at symbv demanding full chapter translations because that might be just evil. What I have proposed to him though is doing Chapter summaries. The info from the Japanese wiki is pretty awesome, but personally I would prefere chapter summaries in order because that gives more context for the information and also progression of things. But that's just me.

Do you guys want to get the nippon wiki transfered over first since it would be quicker and easier?
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Tue May 31, 2011 10:17 am

Or we just check if Gainax has plan for an english version.
Japanese tweet?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 31, 2011 12:08 pm

Gainax HAS no Twitter, you're thinking of Studio Khara. If ANIMA wasn't released in Novel-form in Japan, only in a magazine, I doubt they're release it in a novel within the States. They could, but...

And for the last time, because it's still not getting through to people (Reading the thread is not a hard concept):

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:For any folks wondering about ANIMA being seen stateside, this is an answer I received from Carl Horn:

Carl Horn wrote:I have heard of Anima, but in my experience, light novels pose more of a financial risk to publish--they cost more to translate (because they have more text), and they tend not to be as popular as manga, even for the same series. For example, Dark Horse published both the Blood+ manga and the light novels. The manga was quite successful, so you might expect the novels to have been as well. But in fact, they lost money. So while I wouldn't say "no" to doing it, I would have to give it very careful consideration.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 31, 2011 12:35 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Gainax HAS no Twitter, you're thinking of Studio Khara. If ANIMA wasn't released in Novel-form in Japan, only in a magazine, I doubt they're release it in a novel within the States. They could, but...

And for the last time, because it's still not getting through to people (Reading the thread is not a hard concept):

The thing to do is just lean on/sweet talk Symbv (and you and Reichu and #-kun and anyone else who can be pressed into service) until he translates it all. :lol:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 31, 2011 12:37 pm

Would be nice, but I already mentioned in my case it's not happening any time soon. :tongue:

Mainly because of this:

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Although raws are available, and have been posted in this thread, the very literary style of the Japanese text is enough to make it impenetrable to scanlation groups more used to the simpler language of shonen or hentai manga.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Tue May 31, 2011 2:11 pm

:coffee: Uhu, lemme translate....

I have heard of Anima, but in my experience, light novels pose more of a financial risk to publish--We cannot use our fanservice trick here. So while I wouldn't say "no" to doing it, I would have to give it very careful consideration.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Tue May 31, 2011 3:01 pm

@Someone: Looking at the images Anima has so far brought to the table, I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue May 31, 2011 8:03 pm

View Original PostRiotgear wrote:WoT

Damn, Rei III is still the hottest.

And I thought Rei in grey hair would be damn sexy.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:20 am

View Original PostBiQ wrote:@Someone: Looking at the images Anima has so far brought to the table, I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Ah of course! They Gainax'd a novel. I must NOT underestimate them.
:ninja:

But are they *in* the actual novel? That might be importing trouble...

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:09 am

I've been monitoring this thread for quite a while. I think a summary for each chapter would be good.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:54 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:06 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:If you've been monitoring this thread, then you would know that this is very hard and time consuming work for the translators. And you don't even ask 'please'! You just come in and go 'I think it would be good if you gimme gimme gimme.'

What?! Did you even read what I said properly!?. I said it would be good. Did I DEMAND it? No. Jesus Christ.

I know it would be very hard and time consuming for translators, I was voicing my opinion on TMBounty Hunter's preference.

EDIT: Sorry if I seemed hostile, just how I reacted.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:21 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:One question I have for the masses though is how do you want to go about this? I didn't want to jump straight at symbv demanding full chapter translations because that might be just evil. What I have proposed to him though is doing Chapter summaries. The info from the Japanese wiki is pretty awesome, but personally I would prefere chapter summaries in order because that gives more context for the information and also progression of things. But that's just me.

Translation from Japanese wiki is the quickest way to bring everyone who does not read Japanese to a certain level of understanding the world in Eva Anima :wink: It is faster for me too because it does not take me much time to translate the text on the fly. Writing summary requires me to read the whole thing and then think what to summarize... And then there is the part in me that am not sure how much people like to read spoiler chapter summary....

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:For any folks wondering about ANIMA being seen stateside, this is an answer I received from Carl Horn:

"I have heard of Anima, but in my experience, light novels pose more of a financial risk to publish--they cost more to translate (because they have more text), and they tend not to be as popular as manga, even for the same series."

The logic is the reverse in Japan. WITHOUT the translation cost but WITH the animation cost to consider, the balance is decisively in light novel's favor. Light novel cost much less to write (whereas anime is a very capital intensive endeavor -- with an intricate labor element as well) and the unit price of the final product is also much lower -- light novels always sell many times in volume more than the anime that is based on them. And while the most popular manga outsells light novels many times, the popular light novels in Japan easily beat the standard popular manga in terms of sales (they always feature in the top ranks of bestseller lists).

======

Back to translation of the Japanese wiki for ANIMA (someone please update them in the evageeks wiki, thanks)

洞木ヒカリ
第3新東京市立第壱高等学校に通う17歳の少女。本作ではシンジが級長となっているため、「委員長」とは呼ばれない。
各国のロンギヌススフィア攻撃失敗の巻き添えで姉のコダマを失う。その後ユーロ軍によって薬物洗脳処置を施され、EVA・EUROII・ウルトビーズのパイロットとしてネルフジャパンの前に立ちはだかる。
洗脳解除後は自由の身となる選択肢もあったが、ウルトビーズの中にある魂の存在(ヒカリ本人はアスカの母の魂の残滓と予想している)が気がかりとなっており、洗脳等の処置を施されずに「協力者」としてユーロ軍に属している。
トウジとは相変わらずだが、3年間の間にキスをする関係にまで発展している。

HIKARI HORAKI
A young girl of 17 attending the First High School of Neo Tokyo 3. Since here Shinji is the class representative, she is not called "I-in-cho" (chair person).
She got involved when she lost Kodama, her elder sister, in the failed attacks by global countries against Longinus Sphere. After that she was brainwashed with drug by Euro Army and sent to confront Nerv Japan as the pilot of EVA ERUOII Heurtebize. (symbv: See? Hikari really got to pilot an EVA!!!)
Later when she was released from brainwash, she could have chosen the path to become entirely free, but she noticed the existence of soul inside Heurtebize (Hikari thought that it is the remnant of the soul of Asuka's mother) and she decided to stay within Euro Army as a "collaborator" without any brainwash treatment.
Her relationship with Touji has not changed much, although over 3 years they have reached the stage of having shared kisses.

鈴原トウジ
第3新東京市立第壱高等学校に通う17歳の少年。ネルフジャパンにてEVAのテスト機材の試験に協力。失った左手足に自身の細胞から培養した手足を移植する予定だったが、移植直前に第13使徒バルディエルの復活兆候が見られたため、機械式の義肢を移植している。後にチルドレンとのコミュニケーション能力を評価されて指令代理に就任。

TOUJI SUZUHARA
A young boy of 17 attending the First High School of Neo Tokyo 3. He assisted in the experiments over EVA test machine parts in Nerv Japan. Although there was a plan to graft the left arm and left leg onto his body with limbs grown from his body cells, just before the surgery signs of the renewed activities by the 13th Angel Bardiel was detected and so he got mechanic prosthetic limbs installed instead. Later he became the deputy commander because his communication ability with the Children was highly valued.

相田ケンスケ
第3新東京市立第壱高等学校に通う17歳の少年。EVAのパイロットに選ばれなかった無念さから、ネルフジャパン情報部のエージェントに志願。加持と共にゼーレの動向を調査している。

KENSUKE AIDA
A young boy of 17 attending the First High School of Neo Tokyo 3. While he was deeply mortified by not being chosen as an EVA pilot, he joined Nerv Japan as an agent in its Intelligence Department. He worked with Kaji to investigate any activities of Seele.

Keep feedback coming. I plan to translate the part of Fuyutsuki and Kaji next...
Last edited by symbv on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:34 am

This....novel.....
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:09 am

OK, now it is Kaji and Fuyutsuki's turn.

(contains spoiler in the novel)

加持リョウジ
ネルフジャパン防諜部所属。ゼーレから量産機の侵攻計画を盗み、ネルフ本部へリークするなど、補完計画阻止の陰の立役者とも言える。ケンスケと共にゼーレの動向を追うが、ケンスケの失策からゼーレの罠にはまり、思考を上書きされゼーレに取り込まれてしまう。
本作がTV版の世界から分岐を始めたのは量産型エヴァンゲリオン戦からなので本来はすでに死亡しているはずで、序盤でシンジが彼の畑を引き継いだことや髪型を模していることなどから死亡しているものとして描かれていたものと思われるが、後に(特に説明もなく)本編に登場した。

RYOUJI Kaji
Worked under counter-intelligence department of Nerv Japan. He could be described as the main factor behind the scene that stopped the Instrumentality Project, through works like stealing the invasion plan of the MPEs from Seele and leaked it to Nerv HQ. He worked with Kensuke later to track the move of Seele but due to miscalculation by Kensuke he fell into Seele's trap. His thinking was overwritten and he was taken away by Seele.
Since this work split from the Eva TV world at the point of the battle against the MPEs, it was assumed that he was already dead before this work begins, and at the beginning of the novel Shinji was also seen to take over his field and imitated his hairstyle so it looked as if he was already dead. However, later (without much explanation) he appeared in the novel.

冬月コウゾウ
人類補完計画に密接に関わった人物として懲役刑を受けていたが、病気療養のため監視付きを条件に釈放される。その後は京都で形而上生物学の研究を再開していたが、ネルフジャパンに復帰。

Kouzou Fuyutsuki
As a person who had close relation with Human Instrumentality Project, he received a prison sentence. Because of medical reason he was released on parole with condition of being placed under surveillance. After that he restarted the research on metabiology in Kyoto and returned to Nerv Japan.

Again, any feed back is very welcome!
Last edited by symbv on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:07 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:23 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Kensuke, you officially now will always be absolutely and forever useless.

I'm no longer shipping you with Rei. .. ... .... for at least three weeks. :kensuke_sad:

Wait, which Rei?

Poor Lilith. Her soul's all gone to pieces.

I thought the idea of pairing Kensuke up with Kaji was pretty brilliant. Not too fond of the whole brainwashing gig, though; seems like it claimed both Hikari and Kensuke at the least.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:27 am

Kensuke has four Reis to choose from. :lol:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”