[MANGA] Sadamoto=Lazy??

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dennis
Embryo

Sadamoto=Lazy??

•      
  •      

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:24 am

OK, this has been a hot topic on the ML for awhile, but I want a new perspective. Our friend Sadamoto Yoshiyuki has not published a new Evangelion manga stage in months. This bothers me for the fact that, I want it and I want it now. Di you see a future for the Evangelion franchise in the manga world?

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:53 am

Well, I think he hasn't made one in a while because of the effort he puts into his work. I've only read one of the manga volumes and flipped through the others, but I could see that those drawings are of a very high standard. Now, he can't just make quality over night, it takes time and a man needs to rest every now and again. Also, if you were doing the Evangelion manga series for as long as he has, then maybe he'd like to take a break from Eva. I mean, c'mon, the guy has done TONS of Eva art. Artists need variety, man.

And yes, I do see a future for the Eva manga. It provides some else's take on the story. Also, there's nothing wrong with more Evangelion, is there?
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:07 am

Drawing the same thing day in and day out for 10 years would grate on anyone's nerves. Some people just weren't meant to be serial manga artists. I believe Sadamoto is one of them. He's a truly talented artist, but what an serial manga artist needs is patience and diligence. Sadamoto in my opinion doesn't have a strong sense of either of these virtues. I can understand why, but he's got the finish line in sight, the best thing he can do is to just work his ass off for a year and be done with it.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:04 pm

I just like lookin' at da pretty pictures. o_o

Actually, I don't think Sadamoto's lazy, but just like what was said in the posts before me, everyone deserves a break every now and then, including him. I think he realizes how well the manga version of Eva is doing, so I don't think he's going to stop working on it, but I just don't think he has the ability to crank out a new volume every two months like most other artists.

BTW, I'm new here. Hi!
Close your eyes and listen hard

chocomanji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby chocomanji » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:44 pm

Being an artist in general is very time-consuming. Why do you think I never finish anything?? >P Sadamoto is a brilliant artist, but he’s known for his character designs and single masterpieces. Filling in hundreds of manga panels are quite a bit different. Plus, as EM stated, drawing the same stuff over and over is going to be painful at times. I tend to redesign my characters almost every time I draw them b/c of this fact. x_x

So I don’t think Sadamoto’s being lazy, he’s probably just doing what he knows he’s capable of without being prey to the “artist going insane syndrome.” Believe me, most artists go crazy for this very reason. :shock:

Plus, I think he knows that his fans are willing to wait, even if it also drives them crazy in the process.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:55 pm

I think that is why he takes his time, he has a loyal audiance, and knows they will wait. His work is high quality and definitely puts a lot of effort into it, so he takes his time. Good way to prevent a burn out and just stop altogether as well.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:49 am

Well, word is out on the Eva mailing list. Sadamoto has now skipped for 7 straight months.

I mean, what the hell? Is this insane or is it just me?

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:55 pm

How far into is he again? I haven't been paying that much attention. I just hope he does something to make it up for us after this long :D
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:18 pm

Volume 9 ends right as Unit 0 is infected by Armisael.

Talk about a cliff hanger.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:22 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Volume 9 ends right as Unit 0 is infected by Armisael.

Talk about a cliff hanger.

Ah, at one of the most climatic parts of the series too :P I'm one who holds the opinion that Gainax made 2 major errors near the end of the series (in addition to eps 25&26 of course), mostly due to their wasting of so much time earlier in the series on Angel battles/strategy. The first was Rei's death, with her coming back so quickly after it, destroying all emotional impact. The second was Kaworu, overdoing the relationship between him and Shinji so much after only about 10 minutes of episode time. Here's hoping these things are fixed in the manga, Sadamoto doesn't have to worry about only having 2 episodes to fit all those things in like with the series. If he corrects those 2 major flaws, I'm more than willing to overlook any long wait for them.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:12 pm

Word is out, Sadamoto has now skipped for 8 straight months.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:24 pm

Is it possable that he's taking a break for a year ? Is he sick? Did Anno smack him around or something ?

These are things i've been wondering for about the last year is this guy droping the project?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:09 pm

I'll let you know when I find out.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:13 pm

Any word on when WE get v.9?
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

the-artist-known-as-chris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:04 pm

Sadamoto sure is no Akira Toriyama when it comes to putting out manga.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:04 pm

Viz consistantly put out a new volume each summer, volumes 6-8 were realeased during the last several summers. You're going to be waiting for that next volum for at least another 8-10 months.

As for Akira Toriyama.... I'm not much for Dragon Ball, but I gotta give that guy a standing ovation, he is so damned dedicated to that comic. If only Sadamoto had his work ethic, we could have gotten all twelve volumes and been done with the manga by now.

Manga Volume 4 commentary by Sadamoto is now available. It speaks of his poor work ethic.

http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_sadamoto05.php

mike
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mike » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:51 pm

Has Sadamoto completely skipped out on his duties or has he been working on other projects these last 8 months?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:21 pm

Since his work on .hack//SIGN, the only thing I know of that he has been involved in is the Gunbuster 2 OAV series. Apparently he's been working on that. Aside from that, I don't know. I'm not a Sadamoto fanboy.

lifevirusforte
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lifevirusforte » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:05 pm

I do hope that Sadamoto does finish this work, and it doesn't get canned. I'd really like to see how he deals with a lot of stuff that happeneds after the 16th angel. Since the manga is so different in the series, seeing his view on it would be interesting.

I personally want to see the 17th angel be handled. Since Kaworu has had more time, and more contact with Shinji it would be very interesting. I think his take on Eps 25 & 26 will turn out way way different.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:41 pm

I was just reminded about the gap between volumes 4 and 5 which was about a year. So Sadamoto has been known to take unnecessarily long breaks from the manga. Someone also pointed out that the tenth anniversary of the manga is coming up in the spring, perhaps we can expect new issues thereabouts. Only time will tell. As of now, Bochan_Bird keeps posting "No new issue" each month, and he should know before anyone if the manga has been canned. So I guess only time will tell.

Keep your fingers crossed. And read Girlfriend of Steel 2 while you're waiting.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”