Confusion on Evangelion DVD releases

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
kimmy_roberts
Embryo

Confusion on Evangelion DVD releases

•      
  •      

Postby kimmy_roberts » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could simply post a list of how many versions of the series were released and what years (including different versions of boxsets, e.g. thinpack and tin box of the platinum edition or platinum edition dvds sold seperately.) Any additional information, i.e. differences between releases would also be helpful. I am only interested in DVD releases.

Any releases specific to different countries (e.g. the itallian platinum http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QMqJT9Bb56I) would also be amazing. But I am unsure as to how likely it will be to be able to collect that much specific information.

I have already read countless threads on people reccommending the Platinum boxset but I do not want a reccomendation, just a simple list please. It will resolve a lot of confusion in my head.

It's the series that I currently am interested in, however, any lists on the versions of the film releases would also be very helpful.

Thank you kindly to anyone who can help x

P.S. any further news on whether this "Platinum Holiday Edition" actually exists?

and has this been released??
http://www.furuanimepanikku.com/2008/06/25/this-has-got-to-be-the-most-stylish-evangelion-boxset-ever/
Kimmy

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:30 pm

there are basically two versions released internationally (outside Japan) by ADV

the original VHS tape version was the "Perfect" version

This has been utterly supplanted by the "Platinum" version (which I believe was released in 2003.

The problem is that the TV show was running low on money so for the last few episodes what they did was they weren't able to make some scenes they wanted to (they weren't "cut for time"; they wanted to make them but had no money)

Thus, episodes 21, 22, 23, and 24 have special long versions called the "Director's Cut" episodes

the *Platinum* DVDs are the ones that have the Director's Cut in them. They also have improvement in visual quality, sound, etc.

Here's where it gets complicated:

They wanted to make an "alternate ending finale movie" called "End of Evangelion" but it took a year and a half to make.

Fans were getting impatient with the delays.

So, what they did was several months early, release "Death & Rebirth"

D&R is basically just a clip show recapping the series ("Death") and then the first half of End of Evangelion ("Rebirth")

actually, the idea was that the "Director's Cut" scenes were first produced for Death & Rebirth, inserted into clip show sections that they never actually appeared in in the first place (that is, when showing "events from episode 21" they showed NEW scenes)..........however, this was done KNOWING that they would cut out thse new scenes and put them into a future DVD release, spliced into the appropriate episode.

So "Rebirth" is just the first third or so of End of Eva, with slightly rushed animation quality.

Here's the complex part: "Death and Rebirth" got re-edited twice

When they first aired Death&Rebirth on TV in Japan, they edited out all the new "Director's Cut" scenes, resulting in "Death(true)".....there is absolutely no reason to see this version and I'm pretty sure it was never even released on DVD; it was just aired on TV once. The only reason we mention it is because it explains why the next edit is called "2"....

the second edit is called Death(true)²

Death(true)² and End of Evangelion itself were released in one DVD box set called "Revival of Evangelion", but that's just how they boxed it

Death(true)² still leaves out the Director's Cut scenes, BUT....well the problem is the original "Death" was basically just a clip show, with a few Director's Cut scenes, BUT it has one or two scenes that were NEVER put into the Director's Cut:
1-there's a still picture of Gendo in episode 24, showing his un-gloved hand, revealing that he has fused the embryo-Adam with his own hand (explaining why he touches Rei in End of Eva)
2-there are several....probably "not real" scenes of the children playing musical instruments; this is a metaphor for "Instrumentality" and not actually part of the story (you can really skip that)

"Death(true)" removed ALL the extra scenes, but Death(true)² *restored* the shot of Gendo's hand fused with Adam (and the other stuff) because this wasn't put into the later "Director's Cut" episodes.

*****The final, official one-box set for the entire saga in its final form, is "Renewal of Evangelion"; Renewal is the original episodes 1-26, including the Director's Cut versions of episodes 21'-24' (with the extra footage spliced back in).....and also including "Revival of Evangelion" in the box (Death(true)² and End of Evangelion)

****many of these DVD releases *completely replaced* earlier versions; the final DVD sets had more extra scenes than any earlier one (there is absolutely no reason to get "Perfect" anymore, get Platinum)

So what should you get? Platinum DVD version of episodes 1-26 (this will include the Director's Cut of episodes 21-24), and then separately buy "End of Evangelion"

***DO NOT waste 2 hours of your life watching "Death&Rebirth"; it's just a clip show. Just be aware that there is a one-shot pic in it of Gendo's hand fused with Adam.

The "thin packs" and such are just repackagings of the DVD releases; literally just a new box, the DVDs are the same. The thin packs and such are just that sometimes they sell individual episodes and people are willing to actually buy them, so they keep making them.

As for the upcoming "Platinum Holiday release" you may have heard of, we heard about that too: it's literally just a re-release of the Platinum set, being released during the holidays. they didn't even bother to make new box art.

Why are you interested in the Italian version? is that where you are?

***They didn't release the "Renewal of Evangelion" box set outside of Japan. Because it contains a LOT of bonus extra features and scripts and such. What ADV released, the "Platinum DVD set", IS pretty much the same as Renewal....in that it has all of the same scenes. But they didn't include any of the extras like production art and scripts, and further, the DVD quality is slightly not as good as the Japanese version in terms of audio and visual; they're still alright, it's just not quite as good technically (if you were paying an equal amount for each, order internationally to get Renewal from Japan; but as it would cost like $20 more to order the Renewal set from Japan, just stick with the local Platinum version; you would only notice that the technical quality is a lot better in a side-by-side comparison.

I hope this helps.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

kimmy_roberts
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kimmy_roberts » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:01 pm

Thank you very much for your help!

In response to your question, I don't live in Italy, I live in the UK... I was just interested in the booklets provided in that boxset.

I already have the Platinum tin boxset, however, after lending it to a friend a few of the discs were scratched and I wanted to buy a new set. I was curious as to whether or not it would be advantageous to buy a different set or not.

So, there were the original VHS tapes and then the platinum DVD sets? There weren't any other DVD sets before the platinum?

Thank you again =)
Kimmy

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:03 pm

In response to your question, I don't live in Italy, I live in the UK... I was just interested in the booklets provided in that boxset.

Those booklets were scanned and are floating around online

in answer to your question, I am unsure if "Perfect" ever had a DVD release, nonetheless, "Platinum" has been the version they make since 2003ish, and since 2003 its just been literally just changing the packaging; Platinum is it.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:08 pm

In the UK, DVD-wise we've had the following:-

NGE Death and Rebirth (2002) - exactly as V said, a clip show and the first part of EoE.

NGE Collection (2003)- no extra scenes here. Bad quality and even worse subs, including the infamous 'lyrics to Cruel Angel's Thesis changed so people can sing along in English' debacle;

End of Evangelion (2003) - what it sounds like.

NGE Directors Cut (2004) - Released as 2 seperate DVDs ('Resurrection' and 'Genesis Reborn'), these covered the final few episodes and included all the 'new' added scenes, including the one with Gendo's hand.

Death and Rebirth/End of Evangelion 3 disc set (2005)- The 2 films boxed up together (so you end up with the first bit of 'Air' [ep. 25'] twice!) I'm not sure which version of Death this is.

NGE Platinum (2005-6)- these covered the whole series and incorporated the Directors Cuts additions. They also updated all of the episodes' subtitles to be more adequate and less stupid. Each of these DVDs included the little booklets with extra information.

NGE Premium Box set (2006) - see below

NGE Ultimate Tin Box collection (2008) - I don't know what the difference is between these 2 sets. If I were a gambling person, I'd put money on them both being essentially the platinum version discs, with different packaging and different extras.

So that's the history of the UK DVD releases.
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:14 am

American DVD releases
Neon Genesis Evangelion (DVD 1) 2000-05-16
Neon Genesis Evangelion (DVD 2) 2000-11-21
Neon Genesis Evangelion (DVD 3) 2001-01-23
Neon Genesis Evangelion (DVD 4) 2001-02-13
Neon Genesis Evangelion (DVD 5) 2001-03-27
Neon Genesis Evangelion (DVD 6) 2001-04-17
Neon Genesis Evangelion (DVD 7) 2001-05-29
Neon Genesis Evangelion (DVD 8) 2001-06-26
Neon Genesis Evangelion [Perfect Collection Box Set] 2002-04-09

Neon Genesis Evangelion Death & Rebirth 2002-07-30
Neon Genesis Evangelion The End of Evangelion 2002-09-24 (Buy this)
Neon Genesis Evangelion box set - Death & Rebirth / The End of Evangelion 2003-11-18

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Director's Cut: Resurrection 2004-01-13
(replaces DVD 7)
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Genesis Reborn DVD (DVD) 2004-03-09
(replaces DVD 8)

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Edition (DVD 1) 2004-07-27
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Edition w/box (DVD 1) 2004-07-27
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Edition (DVD 2) 2004-09-21
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Edition (DVD 3) 2004-11-16
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Edition (DVD 4) 2004-12-28
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Edition (DVD 5) 2005-02-08
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Edition (DVD 6) 2005-03-15
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Edition (DVD 7) 2005-04-19

Neon Genesis Evangelion Movie Box Set (DVD) 2005-07-26 (Came with a mouse pad, and a couple other things like that. Movies were a repackage of the previous release. No new transfer, no new subtitles, no new extras)

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Complete Collection (Thinpak) 2005-11-22
Neon Genesis Evangelion - 10th Anniversary Set (never released, planned for 2006-08-22)
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Perfect Collection (Tin) 2007-11-27
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Complete Collection Holiday Edition 2008-11-18

I believe the Tin and the Holiday Edition both have the same extras as the Original Platinum release, which are pretty stupid things like a tour of Tiffany Grant's "Asuka Room". They lack, however, the booklets that came with the original Platinum release, as does the Thinpak. I collected the original release individually. Personally, I like having the physical booklets, but it's up to you to decide what matters more to you. I think the booklets are the extra that's the most worthwhile.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:33 pm

NGE Collection (2003)- no extra scenes here. Bad quality and even worse subs, including the infamous 'lyrics to Cruel Angel's Thesis changed so people can sing along in English' debacle;

oh wow....the UK made an English-language version of Cruel Angel's Thesis?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:09 pm

The song itself was unchanged. The lyrics presented in the subtitles were rewritten "so people can sing along in English". This is a problem with Collection in general, not a UK-specific edition of it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

kimmy_roberts
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kimmy_roberts » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:46 pm

Thank you everyone for your help! =)
Kimmy

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:38 pm

I found the Platinum Holiday Edition at a local CD/DVD shop. Considered buying it for about ten seconds, but changed my mind, partly because of budgeting, mostly because I have no idea which version of the DVDs to lay down cash for. Any suggestions?
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:57 pm

Platinum in whichever form is cheapest; EoE wherever you can find it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”