Dark Horse to translate Shinji Ikari Raising Project

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
V
Banned

Dark Horse to translate Shinji Ikari Raising Project

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:34 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-04/dark-horse-gets-eva-shinji-ikari-raising-project-manga

Dark Horse is going to produce and release the English translation of "Shinji Ikari Raising Project", that is, Osamu Takahashi's manga based on the video game spinoff
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:41 pm

I would be more happy that ISRP manga is being translated if it had an actual plot in later chapters instead of just...well, fan service. >_< (As well as actual Rei instead of RiAO).

That's awesome news though. Thanks, V! :asuka_thumbsup:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:31 am

you're a fan of this?

Fanservice at the end? Meaning what exactly?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:43 pm

I've been reading some chapters of it but it could be better executed with things.

V wrote:Fanservice at the end? Meaning what exactly?

There's nothing but fanservice in the later chapters (usually Rei or Asuka) and no actual plot.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:58 pm

"In the last chapters"? You mean in those chapters since chapter... 1?

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:43 am

Yay!

I think I'm gonna be banned from the AT-Translations board over this actually though...

Not only did I suck as an editor for them, I also kinda stated that everyone who doesn't buy it, or is unhappy at this news, is a thief and a douchebag.

Also, Dark Horse will get this out much faster than AT-T was anyway, lol.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Lleonard Pler
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lleonard Pler » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:15 pm

The spanish translation is already out in Spain. I've just started reading it. At least it looks way better than the dreadful "Angelic Days". :toothy:

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:57 am

I thought it would be interesting to release Ikari Shinji Ikusei Keikaku. I would like it to be a fun book, and specifically, I'd like it to be a venue for Evangelion fan art and letters the way "Misato's Fan Service Center" was back in the day.

--C.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:18 pm

Carl Horn wrote:I thought it would be interesting to release Ikari Shinji Ikusei Keikaku. I would like it to be a fun book, and specifically, I'd like it to be a venue for Evangelion fan art and letters the way "Misato's Fan Service Center" was back in the day.

--C.

....You're Carl Gustav Horn from the Sadamoto manga release? But that was from Viz, this is being done by Dark Horse?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:47 pm

Carl Horn wrote:a venue for Evangelion fan art and letters

And there was me thinking that in the internet age, the comic book letters page had died long ago (except for Bendis' tomfoolery in Powers).

V wrote:But that was from Viz, this is being done by Dark Horse?

People do move around within the industry. You're not stuck with one company until old age, you know.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:53 pm

Different companies, different books, same editor ^_^

--C.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:15 pm

Carl Horn wrote:I'd like it to be a venue for Evangelion fan art and letters the way "Misato's Fan Service Center" was back in the day.
Might one of those arts be my cake that I posted pictures of in the fan section? ;_; 'Twas my pride and joy before 3I came (it got eaten).

EDIT: Aaaaand, my site appears to be down for the first time ever. It's probably Carl's doing out of spite for my shameless attempt to get my work into the mainstream.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Sure! Maybe I'm being a little premature in bringing all this up, since Vol. 1 won't appear in stores until late spring of next year, but we'll probably start production on it before long. I'll try to set up a dedicated e-mail address soon where people can send in their fan art and letters. To paraphrase Abraham Simpson, "We did it all the time in the '90s!"

--C.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Is this going to be right-to-left or left-to-right?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:55 pm

BobBQ wrote:Is this going to be right-to-left or left-to-right?
Dark Horse is going for a unique compromise: it will be read right-to-right. This innovative middle ground should satisfy everyone.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Right-to-left, although it would be fun to experiment with alternate formats, like printing it on a harisen you could open up and then whack people with, or deliberately not gluing the spine, so the pages fall randomly to the ground and you cast your future from the pattern.

--C.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Carl Horn wrote:Sure! Maybe I'm being a little premature in bringing all this up, since Vol. 1 won't appear in stores until late spring of next year, but we'll probably start production on it before long. I'll try to set up a dedicated e-mail address soon where people can send in their fan art and letters. To paraphrase Abraham Simpson, "We did it all the time in the '90s!"

--C.

Vol 1 is tentatively scheduled for release "late spring" of next year?

well that should work out well; probably get a bump from the release of Rebuild of Eva 2.0

well there are 5 volumes in all: what is the tentative release schedule for each? Like one every six months, one a year? Or are we looking at a more....Sadamoto's manga release timetable here? :)

To be honest I'm personally not into any of the non-canon stuff (Sadamoto's manga was a separate continuity unto itself but was still close) I mean I'm not THAT into the alternate reality stuff, but I still think its cool to see officially-licensed stuff for fans to have fun with :)

Question: due to the impossibility of creating a "happy alternate world in which Yui was never lost in a contact experiment" that retains Rei Ayanami's original backstory, in SIRP Rei's backstory is totally rewritten and she's introduced as "a distant cousin from Yui's side of the family"......now, there would be some cries of "incest!" over this by the immature (there were some accusations of this with real-Rei too, but I mean she's a clone of his mother and has the soul of Lilith so....yeah)

but; well when I was reading through a translation of "Elfen Lied" and Yuka unambiguously says "I'm your cousin" to Kouta (and several chapters later they're making out) the translator I read saw fit to put an asterisk into a dialogue balloon and leave a corresponding note at the bottom of the page, explaining that relationships even between first cousins are actually fairly common in Japan, as well as in Europe, and its actually the USA thats the odd one out for being squeemish about that (something about seen as okay because it helps retain bloodline purity amongst the noblity and stuff).

Long story short, if Alternate Rei is introduced in SIRP as "Shinji's cousin from Yui's side", will you leave some note or something, just as there was in the translation of Elfen Lied I saw, saying "this is a common thing in many anime series because Japan doesn't really consider even 1st degree cousin relationships to be incest"

or something?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:14 pm

V wrote:
Carl Horn wrote:Sure! Maybe I'm being a little premature in bringing all this up, since Vol. 1 won't appear in stores until late spring of next year, but we'll probably start production on it before long. I'll try to set up a dedicated e-mail address soon where people can send in their fan art and letters. To paraphrase Abraham Simpson, "We did it all the time in the '90s!"

--C.

Vol 1 is tentatively scheduled for release "late spring" of next year?

well that should work out well; probably get a bump from the release of Rebuild of Eva 2.0

well there are 5 volumes in all: what is the tentative release schedule for each? Like one every six months, one a year? Or are we looking at a more....Sadamoto's manga release timetable here? :)

Question: due to the impossibility of creating a "happy alternate world in which Yui was never lost in a contact experiment" that retains Rei Ayanami's original backstory, in SIRP Rei's backstory is totally rewritten and she's introduced as "a distant cousin from Yui's side of the family"......now, there would be some cries of "incest!" over this by the immature (there were some accusations of this with real-Rei too, but I mean she's a clone of his mother and has the soul of Lilith so....yeah)

Long story short, if Alternate Rei is introduced in SIRP as "Shinji's cousin from Yui's side", will you leave some note or something, just as there was in the translation of Elfen Lied I saw, saying "this is a common thing in many anime series because Japan doesn't really consider even 1st degree cousin relationships to be incest"

or something?

It's my understanding that the first five volumes (it's still going in Shonen Ace magazine) will be released within a shorter time period than that--say, within the space of eighteen months. As for Rei's relationship in the manga, a "distant cousin" isn't usually thought of as being a first cousin (since by definition, a first cousin is a "close" cousin). As far as I'm aware, in those U.S. states which have restrictions on relations between cousins (not all of them do), these restrictions only apply to first cousins, not those more distantly related. For example, Rudy Giuliani's first wife, Regina Peruggi, was also his second cousin.

So the incest issue doesn't really arise in law, even for American readers. Now, people may still make fun of you if you're attracted to such a "legal" relative, but heck, Shinji's used to people making fun of him.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:21 pm

V wrote:"this is a common thing in many anime series because pretty much nowhere but the USA do they consider 1st degree cousin relationships to be incest"

Fixed.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
V wrote:"this is a common thing in many anime series because pretty much nowhere but the USA do they consider 1st degree cousin relationships to be incest"

Fixed.

No, never broken; see where I say "are actually fairly common in Japan, as well as in Europe, and its actually the USA thats the odd one out for being squeemish about that (something about seen as okay because it helps retain bloodline purity amongst the noblity and stuff). " -- Carl just didn't quote that paragraph

but heck, Shinji's used to people making fun of him.

Haha, even in "crazy Alternate perfect happy world" Shinji gets made fun of :)

Oh its ongoing on Shonen Ace?

do they have a rough guess as to how many total volumes there will eventually be? (i.e. Sadamoto said he'd ultimately have 12 volumes, of which 11 were finished)
Who is "Codename V"?....

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”