[MANGA] [NGE] New Manga Stage Thread

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:57 am

Currently uploading and soon to be available somewhere questionable near you

2 sanic 4 u

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:03 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Reincarnations but with a Shinji that just so happens to also have Misato's pendant in his possession?
Nah~

Because reincarnation related magic/ future!Misato/Symbolism.
At best, he's a descendant of present!Shinji, but there's no real need to read that much into it; mostly a confirmation that shit still had effects.

The ppl talk about the EVA series like they're stonehenge/ easter island statues; It would take quite some time for them to be forgotten, but if time resetted and they just stayed where they were, they wouldn't be old, and people wouldn't talk like they had been there for a time ("relic", "scientists studied them"), they'd say something closer to, "they just appeared".
It just seems a logical follow-up from what Yui said, and certainly makes more sense than a reset, considering no one said anything about reset, that it wouldn't fit the themes, Shinji's speech ("...even if I find out that the pain wasn't worth it after all..." He seemed to have less expextations than his anime counterpart, ans still went back) and the vincinity of Tokyo-3 is no longer a crater.

Reincarnations.

(Which tells us very little about the original, since there was never an implication of that sort of thing;)

The whole Asuka thing was basically Yo/sup, I think Shinji and Kensuke have way more of a chance to get back to their previous relationship, since they'll be going to the same school XD
If you wanted to imply romance, wouldn't you have *both* parties having a feeling of Deja vu?
The purpose of the scene is just to show us that ppl other than Shinji are around in the future, and hey, Asuka seems fairly happy, so rejoice about that?

Also, look at the crowd! I think I spotted Keel, Ritsuko and bloody Midori... or just ppl vaguely similar to them.
Last edited by Kendrix on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:37 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Irrelevant because other examples most likely don't employ a magical Ctrl+Z. But that does touch on an interesting tangent that occurred to me earlier; the wants/needs and just desserts of the characters in-setting versus that of the reader/audience's expectations.
If you call it irrelevant then you are dismissing most of the fable stories as well as a lot of daily human moments when someone pack on your back and say "you have been through this quite tough, you deserve a real good and relaxing time now."
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AsukaShinn
Embryo

Postby AsukaShinn » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:20 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Image

Currently uploading and soon to be available somewhere questionable near you

2 sanic 4 u

wow, cool bro, can you PM me the link after you uploaded it?

Btw i'm a new member here, nice to meet you guys :D
Newbie Evangelion fans!

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:33 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Image

I'm sure the ending of the manga has left some hardcore Reifags with a case of major butthurt......Me included.

:hahaha:

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:45 am

Well, not really no.
Rei did what she wanted to do and seemed quite happy while doing it.
I think she resolved quite nicely in the manga, felt right.

Sad? Yes.
Butthurt? Heck no.

Also the monologue in the train of the last chapter is very similar to the one in the very first page of the NGE manga.

And the bag is exactly the same as the one in the very last page of the NGE manga.

I think it's implied that everything just repeats yet again

inb4 Mari is LAS lovechild from Manga Repeatverse

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:55 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I think it's implied that everything just repeats yet again

Between the MPE and the fact that Shinji's going for HS entrance exams how can that work? Doesn't the fossilized MPE suggest that everything's done and the cast gets a chance at living a normal life now?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:00 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Between the MPE and the fact that Shinji's going for HS entrance exams how can that work? Doesn't the fossilized MPE suggest that everything's done and the cast gets a chance at living a normal life now?

Beats me, to be honest
I still don't understand most of the backstory to eva mind you

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:07 am

Probably just an ordinary echo/book end.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:18 am

^
Yeah.

Also
Most users ever online was 98 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:17 pm

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:24 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:^
Yeah.

Also

Sorry, it changed back to
Most users ever online was 97 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:10 am

for some reason. Again. :sniffle:

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:25 am

My fault. Sorry. :hahaha:
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:26 am

Hahahaha, nice sticky on /a/.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:29 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Anyone planning on translating this interview?
Take too much time to translate but I can give you the main points in the interview (which is the second half and I presume the first half is in the previous issue):

- 18 years is a long time to complete a manga. They still remembered the characters using phone card to make calls in TV and Sadamoto still recall people asking him about buying cellphone when vol.2 of the manga was out. At first he got a PHS but later had to switch to a proper cellphone for better connection, particularly with Anno because of the work on Eva.

- Sadamoto really wanted to put snow at the end of Eva, even asking Anno to put it in EoE, since he thought that it would be a good change for a series that always took place in deep summer. And finally he put this idea which he had kept for >15 years into the manga at Stage 94, and lest just the snow would look boring he put the snowing scene with the broken giant Rei. Also he said that he alwyas wanted the last stage to take place with snow on ground.

- Tsurumaki commented on the manga ending being quite different from the TV and move endings, but Sadamoto said that in this case of "media mix", it is very important to keep a "sense of distance" between the manga and the original anime, meaning it must not be too close to the original BUT also not too far from it.

- Tsurumaki said he particularly loves the extra coverage of Kaji in the manga, to the point that he wouldn't mind having one full volume of manga covering Kaji. He is glad that unlike the time constraint in anime, manga has more flexibility when it comes to space for character development.

- Tsurumaki said he likes the "classic way" that Sadamoto ends the manga properly without going for any outlandish or mindblowing approach. Sadamoto said he is not sure if people would think of it as "Evangelion like" but he drew it with his own interpretation of Evangelion. And he admitted that he left some questions unanswered in the manga. For that Tsurumaki commented that in terms of what the characters are thinking Sadamoto has paid close attention in depicting that.

- Tsurumaki said that he was impressed by the balanced depiction of Gendou that allows different interpretations of his character and personality and Sadamoto said it is quite a challenge to do that. Basically his idea is to show him in bad light but still occasionally reveals his other aspects that allow people to see why Yui would become attracted by him. He also considers how to make him look cool by staying determined and focused even though he is thought to be on the wrong side by other people.

- On Fuyutsuki: Sadamoto joked that he looks like a bad guy in the manga. He also considers him as the character he finds most difficult to understand. In order to work for so long and so close to Gendou he must have his own motivation. At first he was not sure what that should be, but later he came up with the idea that the root of the motivation for both Gendou and Fuyutsuki would be "infatuation with Yui". And so it becomes "the story began with Yui's self-indulgence and it also ends with that".

- At a point Sadamoto really felt quite frustrated with drawing the manga because he found himself to be the only person still working on Eva while every other person started working on something else. This is particularly the case at around vol.5 of the manga as the EoE movie was released at that time. As he recalled, vol.5 is still way in the first half of the TV series, which means it would be a long long time before he could finish the manga...He even once regretted not drawing it at much faster pace so that the whole manga would end in 3 to 4 volumes. But later he came to the conclusion that he could work on other things and only came to the Eva manga as a side project, which helped him to sustain the interest and motivation to continue, until finally seeing the end of it now.

- Interesting Sadamoto said his intention was to end the manga in volume 13 because 13 sounds like a cool number (in western religion sense lol) but at the end from the balance and pacing point of view he concluded that an extra volume is needed after all.

- Tsurumaki asked how satisfied Sadamoto is with the ending of manga. He said he is already very satisfied with this experience of "bringing Eva to an end". While the main staff working on the TV series or the movies already have that experience, he is glad that finally he can also claim to have this experience. Tsurumaki then asked him if he felt any sense of loss or regret. Sadamoto said although he could always talk about how things could have been done better or how he failed to achieve this or that, he is also happy to be back in a position where he is not attached to anything.

- At the end Sadamoto mentioned briefly another manga "Archaic Smile" about Buddhist sculpture that was suspended back in 2008 as the writer (Sadamoto is responsible for drawing) has yet to continue the story.

PHEW!!! I ended up translating most of the talk and writing a long summary instead. Anyway, here you go!
Last edited by symbv on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:30 am

Is it wrong that I'll be expecting a comic from Chaz sooner or later about this?
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks symbv, couldn't have read that by myself even if my life depended on it

Also
Most users ever online was 108 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Manga end breaks the record!

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:42 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:PHEW!!! I ended up translating most of the talk and writing a long summary instead. Anyway, here you go!

Thanks!
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:43 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Manga end breaks the record!
Nope, Q scored more than three times that.

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:46 am

Then why does it always reset?
I don't get it

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:49 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Manga end breaks the record!
for 2013 I suppose...
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”