[MANGA] [NGE] New Manga Stage Thread

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:09 pm

The last chapter of Sadamoto's manga, which started even before the very first episode of the NGE aired in Japan in '95.

SPOILER: Show
A gigantic cop-out ending. Which isn't too surprising, since many things that were in the TV series were copped out of earlier, too.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:30 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I just see all the ships holed below the waterline.

You know the drill, it's the same as EoE's ending, as long as they're both around it'll count as LAS ending for some, because of fate and shit.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:33 pm

"Yeah, I'll try my best. It's up to me to find the path I want to take. The way forward might not be straight, it might twist and turn. It might rain, and the wind might blow. But the sun will still shine on the road ahead. My future unfolds forever ahead of me. "
―Ikari Shinji

Ehe. Ehehe. Heh. Ah, fuck.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:34 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I dunno....I thought it was commonly accepted that Rei being killed off is somewhat essential to any Eva related storyline. You can't have an ending where Miss Ayanami hasn't been disposed off. They might as well gone with the "it was all a dream" approach for the manga, too.

:lol:

Manga was the banner cause of Rei fans (of shipper disposition) on this board and elsewhere just like ending of 2.22 untill Q came and pulled the carpet under THAT. Now the strongest, most likely bastion of potential rei-shinji rabu rabu bullshit ending went down.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I just see all the ships holed below the waterline.

Of course I don't use the winning terminology in context of Eva unironically but given how manga got long since derailed by being shitty Rei fan fix fic I didn't expect this sort of outcome in the least. Just goes to show just how badly Sadamoto mishandled the whole manga...but of course at this point complaining about Sadamoto's handling of Rei and especially after what goes on in his take on EoE is kind of meaningless.

Of course Shinji ending up "with" Asuka instead of Rei doesn't mean jackshit in the manga given Sadamoto dropped pretty much all motifs and symbolism going on.

Shame about the great art getting wasted on this.

View Original Postmarumaruko wrote:What myth? I study film.

Allow me to be almost impressed by this. Not.

The same old retarded idea about EoE being some sort of revenge on fans or hate letter to otaku or whatever you have it has been debunked to degree it can be many times in the past.

Is NGE and EoE critical of anime fandom and otaku? Yes. However it's a long, long way from having that quality to film being big "Fuck You Otaku".

Your interpretation of EoE is as trite and onedimensional as it is old and unoriginal. Combine such reading with praising manga adaptation that has in general spent its time dumbing shit down, missing the point and by now finally almost entirely nullifying Eva's core theme and I can't help raising eyebrows, curiously amused by it all.
Last edited by Xard on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexanderSoryuu
Banned

Postby AlexanderSoryuu » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:16 pm

View Original PostWrite wrote:Excuse the ignorance, but can someone explain to me what this is? I saw it stickied in /a/.
It's as /a/ told you, Asuka has won the Mangagelion. She has won because she's the best.

hahaha I'm just fucking you sadamoto got sick of seeing our dicks in his mail all the time so he gave in and pandered to us for a change, /a/sukafags have won again and so the story ends.

Manga was the banner cause of Rei fans (of shipper disposition) on this board and elsewhere just like ending of 2.22 untill Q came and pulled the carpet under THAT. Now the strongest, most likely bastion of potential rei-shinji rabu rabu bullshit ending went down.

I like you, m8. :smokin:

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby SimplyMason0 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:35 pm

View Original PostWrite wrote:Excuse the ignorance, but can someone explain to me what this is? I saw it stickied in /a/.

The Mods are probably having a field day. I remember seeing some KensukeXAsuka debates in that thread.

I think the ending is clear that none of them won and everyone has their memories wiped and time resets. Its like in Butterfly Effect. I'm just disappointed on how fanfic like the ending is. Say what you want about the rest of the manga, I'm not expecting Anno but it just seems like a huge cop out. The ending just gives implications that never happened. Asuka was just Shinji's friend, nothing serious. If anything Asuka was an even bigger Kajifag.

If there were more implications on the Asuka and Shinji having a bigger relationship then it would feel so bad. I still don't get why the time travel thing exist.

AlexanderSoryuu
Banned

Postby AlexanderSoryuu » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:45 pm

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:I think the ending is clear that none of them won and everyone has their memories wiped and time resets. Its like in Butterfly Effect.

Don't take me the wrong way, but why do people insist that no memories = NO LOVE. It's obvious that the relationship(s) is possible, and that even though the road might be shit, there's sun at the end, the one that didn't exist before. ( THAT LIGHT IS Asuka'S BLUSHING SHE BLUSHED SHE FAKKEN BLUSHED M8 )

Basically, we all know how shitty their relationship originally was. And now, of all the characters who could appear, Asuka did. You could argue and say 'yeah lol Asuka is liek the default luv interest' and while it would be a legit argument, it also further proves that the ending could be read as a potential 'Angelic Days'.

All in all, I like the ending because it could have been worse. It could have been an EoE copypaste which I expected, despite the rumors that it'd be different. Even if it ended with Gendo giving Shinji the D in the middle of nowhere, I'd still like it because it's not just EoE copypaste. Ship tease is a huge plus for me, what can I say, I'm just a man. :shifty:

Deyno
Adam

Postby Deyno » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:00 pm

do you have de translation of last stage?
Evangelion en Espanol

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:05 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:"Yeah, I'll try my best. It's up to me to find the path I want to take. The way forward might not be straight, it might twist and turn. It might rain, and the wind might blow. But the sun will still shine on the road ahead. My future unfolds forever ahead of me. "
―Ikari Shinji

Ehe. Ehehe. Heh. Ah, fuck.

Those delicious tears.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:13 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Meh, I'll compensate my initial "disappointment" with the manga with the theatrical movies. Here's hoping Final will make up for this mess.

I wouldn't count on it.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:42 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:I wouldn't count on it.

You're probably right. While I can't say I "hate" how it ended, no doubt it's left me just a bit pissy, frustrated and SMH.

:irked:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:58 pm

I've never had a strong opinion of the manga one way or the other, but one impression I always got from it was that Sadamoto must have seen it as a chore given the combination of how long he took to make it (there's no way it's because he kept agonizing over how to proceed) and how little it really deviates from the anime. This ending fits into that narrative I have perceived. It feels thrown-together.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Reading these details (and since we only know these details based on a translated script and pictures of a few single panels out of context, I'm witholding complete judgement. Remember the untrue plot points of 3.0 we heard about in the first few hours), I feel conflicted on the ending. If I met Sadamoto, I don't know if I would shake his hand or punch him in the face (I'd probably do both). I don't find it a bad ending, but I do find it unoriginal since the whole world reset idea has been going around in the fan community since 1.0. If I had never seen the TV series & EoE, I would probably think it's an okay ending. I think that I might need more time to think about this, perhaps see a complete scanlation of the chapter or even my own copy of volume 14 when it is released stateside.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby SimplyMason0 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:00 pm

View Original PostAlexanderSoryuu wrote:Don't take me the wrong way, but why do people insist that no memories = NO LOVE. It's obvious that the relationship(s) is possible, and that even though the road might be shit, there's sun at the end, the one that didn't exist before. ( THAT LIGHT IS Asuka'S BLUSHING SHE BLUSHED SHE FAKKEN BLUSHED M8 )

With time resetting, I think the relationship will be a lot easier with their pasts being okay now. Even Shinji had a much more opening with Asuka but Shinji doesn't even like her that way because he doesn't have the wimpyness from the anime.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:24 pm

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:With time resetting, I think the relationship will be a lot easier with their pasts being okay now. Even Shinji had a much more opening with Asuka but Shinji doesn't even like her that way because he doesn't have the wimpyness from the anime.

TIME DIDN'T RESET. Fuck, people, I know you read the spoilers, at least act like you paid attention! See that MPE? That tells you time didn't reset. False/altered memories, yes. Time reset, no.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:29 pm

You know, the last few panels reminded me of a little fic that Strike Fiss wrote nearly 13 years ago.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Shippers gonna ship, ha ha.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dima » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:39 am

I like the ending.Seems for at least one time the things will close on a positive note.I had feeling it was going this way though.Pretty sure Sadamoto wanted it to end since the beggining of the making of manga.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

JB2448
Embryo

Postby JB2448 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:31 am

This is actually the first time I'm 100% personally okay (I've always been satisfied with how it ends, note) with how an official telling of Evangelion has ended. It feels just complete enough, neither being too contrite nor too superfluous.

To all of the people who are saying that he rushed the ending, I think he's had the ending written down for a long time, actually. Do I have a lick of evidence, even anecdotal, to support that? Not at all. It just seems like something that was decided on awhile back.
Do a barrel roll!

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:45 am

I have waited for more than a dozen years (yeah, literally), so I would just do it - even though I don't spend much time in EGF now, but when it comes to milestone moment about Eva I guess I would still put my view here.

One thing I am sure is that my view about this ending would have been vastly different if I read it at different points in the past. Some people here say it is a cop-out. Some say Sadamoto does not understand Evangelion. To be honest, I may have said the same thing if I saw this ending, say, 13 or 14 years ago. But things change, and views, preference, understanding and thinking can also shift as you walk on the path of your life adding all the experience you have with your life (not least all the manga and anime you see over the years). I think this is what has happened to Anno, and I am sure there is also the same for Sadamoto. There are many who say the new movies are not Evangelion - so are they saying they know Evangelion more than Anno does? At the end, Evangelion is a product of team creation. It had a lot of Anno's input but it also has much input from Sadamoto. I don't see why you can pick just the parts you like and declare it is Evangelion and trash the other parts saying they are not Evangelion or the creators don't get Evangelion.

Anyway, one faith I have always kept with Sadamoto is my belief that he cares about his characters the same way that a reader like me cares about them. You can argue Anno also cares about his characters when he tortures and kills them, and I won't argue with you - I would just say it is not what I'd call "care". The manga ending profusely and profoundly rewards my faith in him on this regard, and basically after all these years of faithfully following the manga (something I have been doing with real investment as I actually buy the manga) I find that at the end it is what I really care. And to add on top of that, I love how he avoids the usual cliche of complete reset or time loop (so popular these days with VN or VN influenced manga/anime), and how he makes a point of going his way of depicting a new world that is very different from the different endings we have seen so far, from TV Ending, EoE to the new movies or Anima or even Re:Take. The cut to Misato's pendant on Shinji's bag is a nice touch too.

BUT OF COURSE, THE ONE BIG REASON WHY I WOULD GIVE MY TWO-THUMBS UP IS THE LAS ENDING !!! :tongue: :love: I always think that Sadamoto ships LAS and I am more than happy to see that I get it right after all. I can easily imagine Shinji getting admitted to the school after the exam and in the first day of school bumps into Asuka, who also took the exam (or got a free pass to enter it perhaps because of her good results) and now goes to the same school Shinji goes. And of course Kensuke will also be there too. Yeah, it may look like the start of a slice-of-life love comedy that is banal, generic, cliche, whatever you name it, but given what they went through, I would say that a banal slice-of-life comedy is precisely what they deserve. And the same can be said about me who went through it together with these characters all through these EIGHTEEN YEARS.

BTW, I saw some posters here criticizing the lack of explanation of where people who were killed before Instrumentality started went. To me it is not really much of an issue, as I interpret the absence of all these people to mean that only those humans who were "complemented" (by turning into LCL etc), not those who were killed before it, would come back to life at the end. And to reconstruct this world that desired by Shinji, this new world starts with new memory for all people, so now Shinji has an aunt, and he starts by not knowing other people like Kensuke or Asuka (although fate will still bring them together). So Misato, Ritsuko, Gendou, Rei, Kaworu.. All gone. This is my interpretation. If you want to interpret this grimly that Shinji is trapped in Instrumentality -- well I am not here to argue with you as I can see this is also a valid interpretation, just not the interpretation I would take up.

Here are a few more cuts from the last stage. Enjoy, my friends.

Last edited by symbv on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”