Evangelion Cardass Masters Card Game

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Evangelion Cardass Masters Card Game

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:43 pm

(I did a search on this and came up with nothing.)

Having long ago since read those two translation M did for Evaotaku, cursorily got the better of me and I decided to find out some more information about the Evangelion Cardass Masters Card Game.

The only thing I found when searching on EML are those translations M did, as well as information about a few interesting tidbits, such as one card that confirms Rei IS Lilith and states (paraphrased) Rei has Lilith's soul and Yui's body.

The one piece of info that really made me go WTF was this:

Fan on EML who posted the below pic wrote:The card seems to be named "H-11lv", and the title is the english translation for "Saseida orette". To those familiar with the Japanese version of the show, this line will bring to memory the famous hospital scene in Air, and the "I'm the lowest" or "I'm f*cked up" translation. However, while the context is that one, the image is quite different.
What we see is the aftermath of Third Impact, like in the ending sequence, there is Shinji standing (dressed in his school uniform), his hand, palm up, in front of him, and he's looking at (and casting his shadow upon) an unconscious Asuka, laying of the ground in an unconscious-but-also-inviting-and-somewhat-surrendering pose, her home attire messed up so that all what was visible of her in the original scene is there for Shinji and the viewer to see.

The scan clearly connects the first and final scene of EoE together; so I guess it implies there IS obviously a connection in I NEED YOU in terms of Shinji's getting off (*sob sob* His head falls between her boobies zomg), but more in terms of Shinji's guilt since Asuka doesn't care about that? And what is he holding? Is it Misato's cross or his *ahem* come from Air's opening?

Doing a quick glance, it appears the Moonspeak on here is the one that has this translated text:

"In the sea of LCL, Shinji wished for a world with other people. He desired to meet them again, even if it meant he would be hurt and betrayed. And just as he had hoped/wanted, Asuka was present in the new world. Only Asuka was there beside him. The girl whom he had hurt, and who had been hurt by him. But even so, she was the one he had hoped/wished for...."

The card, like all other info minus EYED's lyrics fails to mention it took her awhile to get there. ^^;

Anyway, the only reason I'm bringing all of this up is because I'm wondering if there any sites out there that have more information on these cards (*cough* FGC! *cough*), since they do seem to be canonical and given the ok by GAINAX? Or are such things (RCB, this, Renewal booklets) simply not reliable because we now have the Classified Information to go by? Image
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:59 pm

I'd say they are more reliable because they were produced closer to the time the films were produced. Classified Information is a bunch of retconned crap. But I'd say any actual English language discussion sites about them are pretty scarce.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:16 pm

Since I hope&think&wish FGC* is going to one day be THE place to really know about everything Eva (And I can't forget about EM.com* and MDwigs' site* in terms of resources! ^_^; ), I'd hope the FGC members would be able to put at least something together about that since the Card Game info does seem pretty rare or at least not translated because its apparently a hell of a lot of cards.

Wow. That was like the worst. sentence. ever. ^^;

*No offense to these sites, but imo: EvaOtaku, EML and that misinformed Ikari Gendo FAQs all just suck. Either their information hasn't been updated so its correct based on what we CURRENTLY know about the series, or the people give off a holier-than-thou/we don't take kindly to n00bs attitude (which is why I don't post at EML often). ...Sorry, that was probably out of place, but it is just my opinion.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:25 pm

Brik, if you're referring to the FAR being retconned, the NGE Bible proves that they were thought of from the beginning and were originally intended to be in the anime. Whether or not they were decanonized by the time the Angels were no longer Apostolios (until CI came out) is up for debate, however.

That card is rather interesting. As for Stardust's question, erm... can't he be holding both? <_< Like I said before, I need to stop having ideas.

EDIT: Also, this is probably (almost definitely) an error, but the light sources for Shinji's and Asuka's shadows on that card are completely different.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:47 pm

I think I partely died seeing this thread. Thanks for fuel my nightmares, SSD.
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:46 am

I have scans of the cards (LQ). As well as the rulesheet for the card game.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:13 pm

Scans aren't allowed up on this forum for the most part, huh? >_<

....Would you be willing to upload some onto your site? :mrgreen: (And what's LQ mean?)

I don't see how that pic can fuel nightmares (well...kinda). Not an A/S fan, then, I take it?

And NAW-kun, I need to stop having ideas, too: Hey, Shinji needs to do something while he's alone; perhaps that's partly why he went nuts, not just because of prolonged isolation. O_o; ...Though typing that last sentence out brought to mind that scene one from Exorcist, despite the fact Shinji's a guy, and okay I'll stop here. *coughs* No I've never seen the movie, I just know about that.

We need MOAR info! Brik makes a good point that since these cards were released the time of Death/EoE, it's probably pretty accurate.
...Are there any cards that go into Rei III/Lilith being the Girl on the Street (01)/Hovering above LCL Sea(26')--namely, just why the hell she's there either time--and being the Rei we see in Shinji's Personal Hell (the train motif)??

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Stardust, I've never seen Exorcist either, so I don't know what you're talking about. The only things I really know about it are what I've seen in parodies such as Scary Movie 2 and that episode of Dinosaurs.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:00 pm

I was alluding to that fact that there's some scene where a possessed girl starts masturbating with a crucifix; my lame attempt at a joke to your response. :P

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:25 am

Good find!

LQ would mean low-quality, as opposed to the term "HQ-scan".

Looks like jizz to me.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:49 am

BrikHaus wrote: Classified Information is a bunch of retconned crap.
Not to take this thread OT, but if you have anything in particular in mind wherein the CI actually contradicts the series or movies, we're all ears.

It should be obvious by now that the extraterrestrial origin of Adam and Lilith, the FAR, etc, etc, were contemplated from the very beginning by Anno et al.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:09 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:
BrikHaus wrote: Classified Information is a bunch of retconned crap.
Not to take this thread OT, but if you have anything in particular in mind wherein the CI actually contradicts the series or movies, we're all ears.

That's funny, I don't see anything in my original post where I said the CI contradicts the series/movies. Please tell me where you got that from, I'm all ears.

wikipedia definition of retcon wrote:Some retcons do not directly contradict previously established facts, but "fill in" missing background details, usually to support current plot points. This was the sense in which Thomas used "retroactive continuity", as a purely additive process that did not "undo" any previous work

This is what I meant when I said retcon.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:51 pm

Well, since you called it crap, I assumed you meant there was something objectionable about the CI, like introducing contradictions or inconsistencies into the story, silly me.
So, let's get this straight, you hate the CI despite its apparent consistency with the series canon... :roll:

a purely additive process that did not "undo" any previous work
That describes the entire NPC quite nicely as well, btw.

Oh well, as is your wont, you put out some bait, and I bit.
My bad...

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:42 pm

Reviving an old thread due to some major confusion between different types of Evangelion cards. In general, the Evangelion line of Carddass cards is a huge disorganized clusterfuck, so I think it'll help to clarify what the trading card game really is.

The game is simply known as "Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Card Game." Starter and booster packs are sold under the "Carddass Masters G" name, as well as the name above. Some information and pictures can be found here.

The picture that SSD posted is actually from the game, however it has been photoshopped. It is actually a Level 2 Consummation card, but the top portion of the card has been blacked out. It should say "Comsummation" on the top with "LV 2" on the right. More about Consummation cards and what they do can be found here.

An actual, unedited original card looks like this:

In the English translation of the game, the small paragraph on the bottom is edited over on each card, leaving just the card attributes and the line translation (the text in the black box on the bottom). Sorry for the poor quality, but the English translated cards are very lossy.

This should help clear up some confusion, including what was discovered in this thread between a mismatch between different types of cards released under the same Carddass Masters line.

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:50 am

So there is an english translation of this card game.

Interesting.

Sasori_Zero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sasori_Zero » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:24 am

Grimmjow wrote:So there is an english translation of this card game.

Interesting.

And here's the game (all the cards, card list and rulebook(in .PDF format).) for the viewing pleasure and intruige of Eva fans:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H9U8761U

Enjoy

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:37 pm

^I try to download it, and some reason the files where not working. I seen these cards before, and they look fun.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:42 pm

I wouldn't put too much thought into the content of the cards. Carddas games does lots of license mish mashing of mecha shows with lot of odd results. They are never really faithful or realistic in matching the series.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:56 am

"Consummation", huh? Wonder how they got that translation... The Japanese is Hokan, so the proper translation would be Instrumentality.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:53 am

A non fan of the series probably did the translation for someone with some literal errors.

I worked with Bandai on the english version of the Gundam War CCG couple years ago, and the translators Bandai used had very little knowledge of Gundam, nor were they the best at english, so the translations they provided us with were literal or rough sounding to fans. I had to do lot of editing to try to fix things up.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”