GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:45 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Question: might a second Covid wave delay this release further? I have to wonder if Khara would prefer everyone to watch Shin first, by a window of 6 months or so, and then buy NGE again, so if the former is delayed again, they might insist on pushing the Blureis back as well.

I'm not sure what kind of social distancing measures GKids has already been taking with their home video releases this year (one of them was Weathering With You in the Limited Edition 4K Blu-ray set), but whatever they've been doing so far was probably already taken into account when they initially announced the Evangelion BD set.

It's also worth remembering that GKids only announced the year in which they were going to release Eva. Even if the exact release date was internally planned for a Summer release, it could be pushed back as far as December 31st, 2021 and they still wouldn't have to amend their initial announcement.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:14 pm

No date for GKids Neon Genesis boxset but some updates I saw from checking the forum at Bluray.com:

1. One member said a company that handles theatrical & home video releases in Spain - Selecta Vision - in a recent sharing of little tidbits of information revealed the video release of EVANGELION TV was going to be "After the Summer".
My Spanish is very rusty so I can't be much help but this link is to the post on the Spanish forum.

http://www.mundodvd.com/blu-ray-anime-hd-33801/603/#post4620957

In middle of post is: EVANGELION TV para despues de verano. La edicion incluira libreto.
(EVANGELION TV for after summer. The edition will include a booklet.)

Possibly the discs will release world over at the same time so maybe the release will be later in the year? Just sharing.

2. Another member pointed out, like I've been saying (I read the forum, don't have an account so it's not me, Lol) that Funimation's rights to Eva 2.22 are out of print. It's not available on the Funimation site or on RightStuff.com. Of interest is another poster said this:

1.11 was released in March 2010, went OOP last year. 2.22 was released in March 2011, may be going OOP now. 3.33 was planned for February 2014, didn't hit until February 2016 because Khara. If the licenses are 5 years + another 5 after renewal, then 3.33 would expire in 2024, but it could also potentially go this year.

I don't see a scenario where Khara renewed 3.0 with Funimation for another 5 years. If they had certainly the first two would have been in the negotiations as well. Since the US BD for 3.33 was released on Feb 2, 2016 I think there may be a very good chance the rights for 3.33 may have already expired or will do so this year.

Soooooo GKids?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:41 pm

1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 have dubs to be remade from scratch in the US/UK (khara wants damnatio memoriae of the previous voice actors and scripts) and 3.33 is currently an outdated product anyway.

Without even touching the question mark of Prime Video, I think the next logical step for the franchise is a box set of the final cut of the Rebuild project in a couple of years. We had to wait 2 years for NGE to hit home video after debuting on streaming.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:54 pm

I can imagine Khara demanding a brand new dub for the Rebuild movies, leaving the Funimation cast out in the cold. Which means eventually, GKids might be putting out a Rebuild set with the VSI cast. But that's getting ahead of things. They haven't even put out the TV series yet and there's been no announcement that they have the rights to the Rebuild movies.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:18 pm

I don't like dubs being "lost" - like I'd love the ADV and Netflix dub in the GKIDs set. And if NTE films go to GKIDS, I also hope they include the mediocre funimation dub on the disc just for completion.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:09 pm

Seems pretty clear to me that Khara wants to erase ADV and Funi, yeah. Too many bad experiences with these American fan companies.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:04 am

Bluray.com forum pointed out that Evangelion 3.33 is now Out of Stock on Funimation's online store and Rightstuf has no copies of the Bluray either but does have some DVD copies left. Amazon US is also out but expecting to have it in stock on March 22 and that might be the last of it. I checked and as of right now that is all true.

Seems all but officially confirmed that Funimation is out of the Evangelion game.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:48 am

That’s both unsettling and exciting.

Unsettling because Funi was the only place left for physical Eva media.

Exciting because that hopefully means that GKIDS is gonna pick up NTE soon enough for a relatively timely Shin Eva theatrical exhibition in the US.

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:05 pm

Maybe some Announcement of sorts would be made at AnimeJapan Online this year.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:07 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Seems all but officially confirmed that Funimation is out of the Evangelion game.
I love me some tinfoil hat drama, but I wonder if Khara pulled it by force after Gen Fukunaga was being a bitch about Netflix getting NGE or if the news NTE wouldn't be renewed came to them around that time too :mari_ahaha:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:39 pm

There was no way Funimation was gonna get Evangelion again after the fiasco with the Eva Q release. Gen Fukunaga bitching did him no good, and his promise to show “love” towards the TV series after the butchering they gave NTE was hilarious.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:31 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:and his promise to show “love” towards the TV series after the butchering they gave NTE was hilarious.

Question: how exactly did Funi "butcher" the Rebuilds? I mean, the removal of the rainbow effect in the credits has been mentioned already, but that's not even important at all. I do admit that the original 3.0 dub might have sucked, but I haven't heard any of it so I can't tell you anything there. Nothing else about Funi's dubs really bothered me though.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:38 pm

The reason why the Q dvds took so long to be released is because their initial script was so awful that khara took command and had them do the whole thing from scratch
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:05 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:The reason why the Q dvds took so long to be released is because their initial script was so awful that khara took command and had them do the whole thing from scratch

If only they'd do that for the LatAm dub... That thing was horrible :facepalm:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:31 pm

Justin Sevakis who runs MediOCD, a post house that commonly does work in anime and regularly does work for Anime Limited(All the Anime), the British company that is handling distribution of Eva in the UK, put out this vague tweet:

There's a lot of angsty robot shows but only a few are worthy of being CERTAIN Angsty Robot shows.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:05 pm

But doesn't blu-rays for the UK market work on a different system than ones for the US? Isn't the British one called PALS and the US one NTSC or something similar? He could not be working on the US version at all. I'm sorry if I got it wrong. I am trying to remember off the top of my head.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

heavyR
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby heavyR » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:50 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:But doesn't blu-rays for the UK market work on a different system than ones for the US? Isn't the British one called PALS and the US one NTSC or something similar? He could not be working on the US version at all. I'm sorry if I got it wrong. I am trying to remember off the top of my head.

I’m not 100% certain but I believe during the modern era there is a unified standard across the globe.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:00 am

The different systems still exist, but even 20 years ago, the then-current TV+DVD player combinations were capable of handling PAL from UK DVDs and NTSC from Japanese ones (both region 2) equally well. The big difference is that the two standards have different frame rates, leading to an effective 4% difference in playback speed. This is normally imperceptible, except when you try to mix and match (e.g. when muxing the VOB files from my PAL Rebuild DVDs with the 1080p YouTube I needed to stretch the timings by a factor 1.0428)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:32 am

The PAL/NTSC difference basically applies to DVDs only - Blu-rays do not use either system for their main contents.

Those systems are linked to the old analogue broadcasting standards, which is why they differ for different countries. The vertical resolution is 480 for NTSC DVDs, and 576 for PAL DVDs, and the frame rate is fixed at 30fps or 25fps respectively. Most DVDs are encoded these days without interlace (i.e. 480p or 576p), but curiously the Blu-ray standard only specifies those resolutions with interlace (480i or 576i), so extras are often better ripped from DVDs than BDs.

Film is made at 24fps, so has to be modified for encoding onto DVDs - either by repeating some frames (NTSC) or by simply playing faster (PAL). This is why US and UK releases of films often have different lengths. Also, most commonly the audio is not properly converted for PAL, but simply sped up so that it plays a little higher in pitch as well! This also means that you may need to find different subtitle files.

Blu-ray can use the original frame rate of the material, so does not have the same problem. The standard resolution is 1080p, but some BDs of sports are recorded at 720p in order to be able to double the frame rate (typically to 60fps) for smoother action. (Note that 4k disks, although called Blu-ray, are not compatible with non-4k Blu-ray players.)

For a long time DVD players outside the US have handled PAL and NTSC equally, as region-free DVDs are always NTSC. However, certainly until recently, a large proportion of US DVD players could still not handle PAL, simply because they had no need to.

There are additional complications which I have glossed over...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:31 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I do admit that the original 3.0 dub might have sucked, but I haven't heard any of it so I can't tell you anything there.

Well, from all I could find, there is this compilation video which mixes the blu ray dvd scenes proper with the audio of the OG 3.0 dub: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2wj9e6

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”