Netflix English Dub Discussion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Netflix English Dub Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:22 am

Wouldn't it be easier to just have both dubs available?

pearisdriving
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pearisdriving » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:28 am

If they could get ADV one without wading the legal swamp the original dub is in they may have just kept it in the first place. It was probably less money, time and effort to just make a new cheap one with a small studio.

Evangelion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:13 am

View Original Postpearisdriving wrote:Or just hates the original's VAs guts on an almost personal level according to post history.
This dub is very bland and straight up horrible in some scenes. I find the old dub to be pretty bad as well but this one seems somehow more phoned in like the VAs just didn't care. In the old one you can fell some passion even if the execution was bad to mediocre. In this one the VAs are just "imma go to work read some stuff out loud and call it a day" most of the time. Voices don't match all that well but that's 90% of dubs anyway. Some of the acting is relatively decent(especially for the supporting characters). Yui somehow sounds more lethargic and disinterested than Rei. I think the actress forgot she needs to mimic the characters' expressions when doing voices.
The good part seems to be that some of the unnecessary liberties ADV took are not here anymore.

After watching 8 episodes, I'll admit that there are some parts of the new dub that I really enjoyed. There are some parts where I think the new cast is great, but like I mentioned in my previous post some parts also sound bland. Yes, we're talking about comparing the two English dubs here. I'll watch more when my head is all cleared up. It could improve in later episodes, so we'll see.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:24 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Has anyone listened to the new Asuka?

Asuka sounds like a younger, less shrill version of Grant's Asuka. She's voiced by Stephanie McKeon. She doesn't have the same dynamic range as Grant but I think the voice is very fitting for Asuka's age (which was always a relatively small problem I had with Grant) and captures some of the playfulness that was missing from the older English dubs. She also doesn't sprinkle her dialogue with German phrases. I've only heard the Unit 02 start-up sequence so far.

I think the overall voice cast is really good with one or two exceptions, mostly Hyuga. His voice is high pitched and there are times where it sounds like it's either been artificially pitched up or sped up. Not sure what's with that. Still trying to digest Kaworu. He's voiced (uncredited) by Clifford Chapin and now that I know that I can't unhear Cabba. :lol: I think he's better than the old ADV VAs, especially Ayres, but not as good as Jewell.

I've been jumping around a bit but there are some interesting translation and pronunciation choices. Like Shinji is "The Third Children" and they try a more German pronunciation for Seele and Nerv.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:27 am

Only watched the first two episodes and skipped ahead to Asuka's introduction. It really hit and miss, the Cast sounds... mediocre. But there a lot of dialog changes that I liked. referring to the Pilots as 1st, 2nd, 3rd Children as in the OG Japanese. Kaji being more fucking subtle when asking Shinji if he and Misato slept together.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:36 am

As revealed in the General Discussion Thread, Netflix cut Fly Me To The Moon out of the episodes themselves as well. Not just the end credits.
Regardless of who is giving the performances, the feel of Misato and Kaji's big moment in Episode 15 plays out differently when it's no longer set to music but rather to the sounds of insects.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:04 am

I'm skimming through ep 12 just to hear what most characters sound like. Maybe I'm more used to dubs than others here (maybe not, I don't know) but this is 1000% better than ADV in my book. It sounds like it's actually done by professionals for god's sake.

That said, obviously the Japanese dub is better and is my default recommendation to anyone watching it. And removing Fly Me to the Moon is sacrilege! :facepalm:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:21 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:And removing Fly Me to the Moon is sacrilege! :facepalm:

Putting no effort to replace it with something interesting is the sacrilege to me. Even just using a different song from the soundtrack in every episode would've been something.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 am

I watched it and no offence to the new VA's as they are just trying to put bread on the table, it just didn't land for me and I've seen a lot of complaints about the younger sounding voices and the context not feeling right and them removing love from Kaworu's line and changing it to like, will cause backlash as some people will view that as the gay/bi subtext being cut out.

I also found myself struggling with this same issue in Asuka's voice over in EOE as taking out the German swearing and changing her line of Mama to Mommy takes away from the battle scene in a big way in my view. I have also heard a rumour that Rei's gender has been made ambiguous but I really need to conform this so I'll re-edit this when I can confirm this as to me it sounds like such a weird scripting choice and her VA and Kaji's are the ones I have yet to hear.

Please note if you liked this thats all good I'm not saying people shouldn't watch it, I'm purely saying for me it just didn't land and I prefer the ADV oringal dubs.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:54 am

I think the new Misato is fantastic. After getting used to all the voices sounding different it wasn't so bad but not without some pretty glaring issues, like some of them sounding like kids (Hyuga).

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:10 am

Full disclosure, I am a nearly 100% sub watcher, but I do watch dubs occasionally when with a certain friend or two of mine who watch dubs. I am not a big fan of this one though. Shinji just sounds very off to me in particular. Also, I got a warning on Twitter for saying "She" because their preferred pronouns are they/them so be careful. I only have a few followers so people must be searching for the mistake. I find so many dubs in recent years flat and lifeless. Whenever there's a new anime I like I watch an episode or two of the dub to see how it would play out to someone if I introduced them to the dub and I can't think of the last one I enjoyed that much. It's kind of weird to me that anime is bigger than ever and the performances are much worse in my opinion. I was switching back and forth between dub and sub watching the 90's OVA of 8man the other day and both were fine besides some weird music edits, but I guess Evangelion has that problem too! I am interested in hearing Asuka, I just watched the first episode last night so far. I'll probably keep switching between dub and sub based on how busy I am at home this weekend.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Netflix Genesis Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:43 am

Well, judging by that, I kind of miss Amanda Wynn Lee and Mangle Entertainment. And you guys thought ADV was bad?

Netflix:

"He's the third children"

SMH

And Fly Me to The Moon is gone..

Basically, and the Evangelion subreddit will vindicate this line of thinking, we're Naoko and the new dub is Rei I.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:26 am

Not a fan of the new dub, the old one is better.. never thought I'd say that about the original dub ever in my life

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:29 am

I only had a chance to flit around to certain scenes before work this morning, and while I'm they fixed the exploding tomato noises and translation errors in EoE, I feel the overall quality of the dub is just bored, dry and passionless. When Shinji attacked Zeruel in Central Dogma I nearly kicked my TV it was so bad. The ADV dub isn't perfect, but my lord at least they inflected in their deliveries.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:32 am

Yeah nope. Fuck this.

Was not worth waiting several month for, Shinji and Misato especially made me want to tear my eardrums out.

Amanda is gonna have a field day with this one for sure.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:36 am

View Original Postxtr00kvltcorex wrote:I only had a chance to flit around to certain scenes before work this morning, and while I'm they fixed the exploding tomato noises and translation errors in EoE, I feel the overall quality of the dub is just bored, dry and passionless. When Shinji attacked Zeruel in Central Dogma I nearly kicked my TV it was so bad. The ADV dub isn't perfect, but my lord at least they inflected in their deliveries.

I felt that in the EOE scene when Asuka's building to scream I don't want to die, Tiffany's version really builds then blows up, but clearly netflix just weren't pushing that from the new VA which is there fault not hers but it means her whole delivery just feels really flat in my view and the lighter younger voice just adds to the frustration because I really can't feel the anger in it and Asuka is meant to be an edgy pissed off character hence to me the deeper tone works as it carries that better.

Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:46 am

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:Amanda is gonna have a field day with this one for sure.

Wasn't Amanda responsible for the splat sounds in EoE though. I kid.

The overall quality of the dub is just so flat. "Get in the f***kin robot" has become "climb into the open, flat Sprite can that we've left out all day...if you want."

Asuka sounded like someone imitating Tiffany Grant.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Ikarus Onesun
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ikarus Onesun » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:42 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I've been jumping around a bit but there are some interesting translation and pronunciation choices. Like Shinji is "The Third Children" and they try a more German pronunciation for Seele and Nerv.

And most of the VAs butcher the pronunciations of these. I'm not sure why the directors of the English dub insisted on the German pronunciations of NERV and SEELE and then failed to correct the VAs when they pronounced them wrong.

NERV should sound like "nairf." I'm hearing variations of "nairv" and "nerf."

SEELE is even worse - nobody get this right. It should be "ZAY-le," but I've heard "ZEE-le," "ZAY-lay," and "SAY-le."

Yui's VA pronounces GEHIRN as "GEH-heen," when the proper pronunciation is closer to "ge-HEERN." That's actually a tough word for a non-native German speaker, so points for trying, I guess.

(Hats off to Allison Keith though, who nails the pronunciation of WILLE in the Rebuild films.)

All in all, if the VO cast can't actually say the German words properly, then it would have been much better to just stick with the Americanized pronunciations that most NGE fans are already familiar with (and are much easier to say) IMO.

Cheers,
IO

P.S. Why is "Fuyutsuki" suddenly so hard to pronounce? :rolleyes:

Ikarus Onesun
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ikarus Onesun » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:47 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I think the new Misato is fantastic. After getting used to all the voices sounding different it wasn't so bad but not without some pretty glaring issues, like some of them sounding like kids (Hyuga).

Hyuga sounds like he should be hanging out with Kensuke Aida at Otakon.

Cheers,
IO

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:32 pm

And also, Kaworu apparently only "likes" Shnji now :hmph:
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"