Netflix Release General Discussion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Netflix Release General Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:44 pm

There were some members of the community and online personalities who were adamant how HUGE DEAL this was and started to blow things out of proportions. That when NGE became available on Netflix it was going to be a pop culture game-changer and there would be rEVAlution and things would never be the same again.

I always felt that wasn't going to be the case because most of the people who were going to watch NGE on Netflix had already formed attachments to Evangelion before through various means and that the people who were experiencing it fresh were going to binge it, engage with it for the moment, argue about small nuances and then move on to the next "big deal".

Some people will discover it on Netflix over the years. But the times of game changers are pretty much over.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:12 am

Even outstanding new titles like Yuasa's Devilman Crybaby only last a few months nowadays and there's plenty to discuss with that as well. There's just way too much anime getting released now that the only things to become "classics" the past few years are long running shonen stuff.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:51 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:the people who were experiencing it fresh were going to binge it, engage with it for the moment, argue about small nuances and then move on to the next "big deal".

I don't see how that follows. People before saw Evangelion through various means and fell in love with it. I don't see why people who see it now for the first time wouldn't be able to fall in love with it.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Have watched almost all of the European Spanish dub of Eva.
It is not horrible, not even really bad (it's...ok), but it does so much wrong.
They again gave Gendo a line when we don't hear him in Japanese (exchange with Ritsuko).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:53 pm

They DID WHAT!?
Again!?
Jesus Christ... :facepalm:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 am

Yes, and I was in disbelief when I saw/heard it lol.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:09 am

I have skewed through all the 10 pages of discussion but didn't see anyone discussing the infamous line from Air, where Misato explains to Shinji where are the Angels from that was wrong in the ancient Manga subs which were used by so many fans throughout the years...

Dan dropped the ball and implied Adam came from Lilith:

Code: Select all

"Like Adam, we humans also come\Nfrom the source of life called Lilith.We're the 18th Angel."

Ironically enough, the new English DUB got the line right:

Listen carefully to what I'm about to say next, Shinji, We humans came from a source of life  called Lilith, which is also like Adam."

What a mouthful in the beginning of the sentence to a thing is not even said in Japanese. Misato only says "Shinji-kun", nothing related to "pay attention".

The inverse thing happens in Portuguese. The sub explicity says:

"Ouça bem, Shinji. A humanidade também veio de uma fonte de vida chamada Lilith, que é parecida com Adão."

Literally:

"Listen well, Shinji, Humanity also came from a source of life called Lilith, which is similar to Adam".

The last line "which is similar to Adam", refers to "Adamu to onaji" and in several scripts is transposed to the end of the sentence whereas in Japanese it is in the beginning, out of order.

The Brazillian Dub however, got it wrong stating that Adam came from Lilith.

"Shinji, preste bem a atenção. A Humanidade descendeu de um ser chamado Lilith, e Adão também veio dele."

Literally: "Shinji, pay attention very well. Humanity descended from a being called Lilith, and Adam also came from him".

A weird choice of the male gender to specify Lilith with "him", a known female entity. While "being": "Ser" is a male word in portuguese, the word "source": "fonte", is female and would ha been a much better choice for the line.

Spanish is also a mess, the Latin Spanish gets its wrong:

"Como Adán, los humanos también vinimos de la fuente de vida llamada Lilith."

Whereas the European Spanish gets it right:

"Shinji, escúchame con atención, nosotros venimos de la fuente de la vida llamada Lilith, similar a Adán."

The Portugal's Portuguese is inferior in terms of translation from what I could tell overall, the same line is wrong in EoE:

"Shinji, ouve-me com atenção. Tal como o Adam, nós, os humanos, também viemos de uma entidade chamada Lilith."

Literally:

"Shinji, hear me with attention. Like Adam, we, humans, also came from an entity called Lilith"

French also gets it wrong:

Comme Adam, notre humanité est née la source de vie nommée "Lilith".

"Like Adam, we humanity were born from the source of life called Lilith".

Whereas Italian gets it right:

Noi umani discendiamo dalla fonte di vita chiamata Lilith che è simile ad Adam.

"We humans descended from the source of life called Lillith which is similar to Adam."

My French and Italian are not good enough to transliterate what they are saying in each Dub.

I can understand the confusion coming from the original Japanese, my limited understanding of the language also gets uncertain to what the "Adamu to Onaji" inserted out of order in the middle of the sentence is refering too. It certainly seems ambiguous to me specially because Japanese has a different typical Subject->Object order in its structure.

I also find interesting many languages put the "similar to adam" at the end of the sentence.

I didn't like the new Brazilian dub, by the way. But I was already expecting that because I have a very strong attachment to the original 90's dub. The accuracy is better but the acting is worse. They kept the same guy for Shinji, but back in 1997 he was around 15 years old, now he is over 30 and tries to make an artificially childish voice much worse than his initial take on Shinji.

I was initially excited when I saw the subs where translated by a Native Japanese speaker, "Mie Ishii", she has a pos-graduation on translation from the most important university in south America which is in my city. However she has a very awkward Portuguese even though she was born in Brazil. Her choice of wording is unnatural and she killed it all by puting memes and millennial expressions in her translation. I prefer more septic accurate translations than too much localization.

Here it is an article in a local website criticizing her choice of memes:

https://www.omelete.com.br/netflix/evan ... da-netflix
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999
-----------------------------------------------------

MistaL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MistaL » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 am

THEY PUT OUT AN UNFINISHED VERSION OF THE SUBS HOLY SHIT I CAN'T FUCKING BREATHE

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:53 am

Seems like Netflix and/or VSI have been somewhat lax on their end. I doubt Dan or Khara made the decision not to translate most of the on-screen text, for instance. It is probably also their fault that Fly Me To The Moon has not been licenced, supposedly it only cost 1000 dollars... per yer.

I should mention, everything I and some other folks have gathered for the article surrounding the new subs indicate this is nothing compared to the ADV subs.

↑ 19.0 19.1 Matt Greenfield (ADV director) paints a rather chaotic picture in his DVD audio commentary for Episode 1. He says that, while he would send his ADR scripts to Japan via one licensor, they would then get re-routed through four other licensors until they reached Gainax, eventually coming back with some delay, with corrections of varying size and consistency. He even says that some errors by the translator "somehow went through a half-dozen hands and never got caught" until after the VHS release, or that the feedback would be outdated and inconsistent, telling them to change lines and fix mistakes that had already been amended before.

MistaL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MistaL » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:09 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Seems like Netflix and/or VSI have been somewhat lax on their end. I doubt Dan or Khara made the decision not to translate most of the on-screen text, for instance. It is probably also their fault that Fly Me To The Moon has not been licenced, supposedly it only cost 1000 dollars... per yer.

I should mention, everything I and some other folks have gathered for the article surrounding the new subs indicate this is nothing compared to the ADV subs.

This notion of most of the onscreen text not being translated is kinda false. Somebody on Twitter posted a title card that wasn't translated falsely believing it was important text like that during Instrumentality and everyone ran with it, but much of the text beyond the title cards actually is translated. The signs subs for the dub strangely have more onscreen text translated than the full subs do (even having both the Japanese and English title cards translated for the last few episodes), but pretty much all the important onscreen text seems to be translated across both.

PinkAF
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PinkAF » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:30 am

Long time lurker here!

Anyone have any thoughts on the translation of the lake scene in Ep. 24. They seem to be translating “Adam’s body” to “Adam’s resurrected flesh” during the exchange that causes the infamous plot hole. I believe it was Monk Ed who originally suggested that translation in the giant fanwank thread, and I have to say, in that context, while it doesn’t obliterate the plot hole, it makes it a lot easier to swallow...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:01 pm

The phrase in question is 再生された肉体, saisei sareta nikutai. "Saisei sareta" means "resurrected", "revived", etc., and "nikutai" means "the body" or "the flesh" (in opposition/contrast to the soul or mind, which is how it's used in the scene). The Platinum subs have it as "resurrected body", and in the context of the scene "body" and "flesh" refer to the exact same thing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

PinkAF
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PinkAF » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:43 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The phrase in question is 再生された肉体, saisei sareta nikutai. "Saisei sareta" means "resurrected", "revived", etc., and "nikutai" means "the body" or "the flesh" (in opposition/contrast to the soul or mind, which is how it's used in the scene). The Platinum subs have it as "resurrected body", and in the context of the scene "body" and "flesh" refer to the exact same thing.

Personally, I prefer the use of flesh vs body, because it just makes it seem to me that only a part of Adam is within Gendo, as theorized on the Kaworu’s Agenda page of the Wiki. So even though they refer to the exact same thing, the translation choice just works better for my personal tastes in digesting this big plot hole.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:14 am

I don't see any difference, to be perfectly honest. It doesn't matter which word you use. The thing being referred to is still IN CONTRAST TO ADAM'S SOUL, and Kaworu says that Gendo is "like me" for possessing it. They're plainly talking about Adam's physical rather than spiritual aspect. Gendo and Kaworu are alike because they each possess PART of Adam.

"Flesh" also has the potential to trip people up since it doesn't have to refer to a body in its entirety. You say you prefer it this way, but this way is not the intended meaning at all, thus "body" was actually better for avoiding confusion. The issues with Kaworu's behavior being inexplicable are an intrinsic part of the work and you're not going to avoid them by doing alchemy with a thesaurus.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

MistaL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MistaL » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:35 pm

View Original PostMistaL wrote:This notion of most of the onscreen text not being translated is kinda false.

After looking at episode 6 again, I take this back.

ErikTande
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ErikTande » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:17 am

Pretty annoying grammar error in the subtitles:

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:05 am

In my honest opinion on the entirety of it, I know there were some translations changes compared to the original (one I can name of the top of my head is the infamous "it means, I love you" scene from Episode 24.) But I think as a newcomer the sub is overall fine, though I would say if you want the raw original, I guess gets the cheaper DVDs Volumes or expensive Blu-Ray of the series (though I DO NOT know if they change any of the dialogue in these for sure, though I would assume that these versions would leave the dialogue unchanged for directorial or fan reasons.)

...I didn't watch the Netflix Dub. :| I put it down after watching the first episode of it and then I found out the ADV Dub exists, which is A LOT better in terms of being accurate to the original translations, heck, they even got Kaworu saying "I love you" and everything. It gets better over time as I have been told, and I've seen it for sure. Don't watch the Netflix one, it's just...boring to me, I like the cheesy nature of the ADV Dub and Shinji sounds much more boyish compared to the Netflix dub.

I also got information about some of the mistranslations from the internet online though, so basically there were certain parts the viewer would have to reinterpret to get the full meaning out of some of the dialogue (again, Episode 24, it's the pinnacle, iconic example of what people should and should not do with translations.)
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:16 am

View Original Post天使 | Nyo | 天使 wrote:the ADV Dub exists, which is A LOT better in terms of being accurate to the original translations,

Why is it a good thing that it's "accurate to the original translations"? What does "original" even mean? There are three different sets of subtitles that ADV produced for the show; only the most recent of those -- Platinum -- is any good in terms of accuracy. The dub was created side by side with ADV's original VHS ("Genesis") subtitles and is riddled with all sorts of unnecessary inaccuracies. The Netflix dub is more accurate in every way, both in terms of fidelity to the original (as in, Japanese) script and fidelity to the original character performances.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:54 pm

View Original Post天使 | Nyo | 天使 wrote:...I didn't watch the Netflix Dub. :| I put it down after watching the first episode of it and then I found out the ADV Dub exists, which is A LOT better in terms of being accurate to the original translations, heck, they even got Kaworu saying "I love you" and everything. It gets better over time as I have been told, and I've seen it for sure. Don't watch the Netflix one, it's just...boring to me, I like the cheesy nature of the ADV Dub and Shinji sounds much more boyish compared to the Netflix dub.

I completely agree, and I quite like the extra sprinkling of German in Asuka's dialogue. It really helps to sell that aspect of her character. And I really liked Sue Ulu's performance, her voice makes Ritsuko sound a lot warmer a person than she might otherwise be and that makes it all the more shocking when it's revealed just how messed up she really is. The Netflix dub might be more technically accurate but it's about as appealing a performance as a dead fish.
Kindness is optional, the evil goatee is mandatory.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:08 pm

View Original Post天使 | Nyo | 天使 wrote:Don't watch the Netflix one, it's just...boring to me, I like the cheesy nature of the ADV Dub and Shinji sounds much more boyish compared to the Netflix dub.

This is similar to my impressions, except i mostly went off various clips and yeah it's a pass for me too. It actually gave me a mild appreciation for ADV's take in retrospect (even when taking into account of obvious pitfalls).

It was not worth the wait.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”