[NEWS] Neon Genesis Evangelion coming to Netflix Spring 2019

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
xwait
Embryo

Re: [NEWS] Neon Genesis Evangelion coming to Netflix Spring 2019

Postby xwait » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:44 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:"Nèo-" means "nuovo", it's the same information that gets conveyed (= a New Tokyo).

In Italian, "neo" means this thing https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo

In AKIRA Japanese script we've "NeoTokyo": ネオ東京 = NEO TOKYO (it must reamin "Neo Tokyo" in a foreigun dub)
In EVANGELION Japanese script we've 東京市 = SHIN TOKYO (it must translated in a foreigun dub)
If you know the alphabet, you'll understand that is not the same thing, even if they sound similar to your personal taste and your nostalcig habit.

Even HERE they don't talk about "neo". While HERE we find the correct "New Tokyo-3 City".

View Original PostJoseki wrote:redub everything (NGE, EoE, Rebuild and the upcoming Shin Eva) with the same voice actors.

It's a joke? Italian Shinji born *41* years ago while Shinji is *14* :facepalm:
(Kensuke is now 44 years old and Toji 50 :uhh: )

xwait
Embryo

Postby xwait » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:56 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I think that the extended episodes are Anno’s preferred edition anyway

In original Japanese LD and DVD edition, we didn't have aired version but *only* the home video version.
The reason is simple: even today, every anime is finalized and readjusted for the home video edition, that is the original and final one.
The aired version of 21-24 episode were simply erased by Anno & co. and were inserted later as cash cow to justify every new home video edition :irked:

In that first original Japanese release we had also episode 25' and 26' in their home video edit, with this order: 21'-22'-23'-24'-25-25'-26-26' (this is the correct way to watch Evangelion originally wanted by GAiNAX): https://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episod ... Evangelion

The *real* loss is about Video Edition of episoded 25' and 26' :|
Btw, in the last Japanese BD release, we can find 25' and 26' home video edition.

(with the Renewal, we also lost the original Japanese dub... replaced with a new edited one :facepalm: )

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Netflix Rights and Redub

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:55 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:So Netflixs have the ADV rights to Evangelion and the EOE and death and rebirth movie but they want to do a redub (With out the original cast)

Unlike the original Japanese video and audio, which belongs to Khara to license out, the ADV dub is still stuck in licensing limbo. Also, although the series dub is loved by many, it does suffer from changes of cast (especially if, as I presume, the DC episodes are used); and the Death/EoE dub (not ADV) has serious errors as well as more cast changes. Hence the need for a new dub.

I hate the automatic presumption that something cannot be done as well now as it was twenty years ago; it's insulting to people currently working in the business. And are people who are now twenty years older than when they did it last time round really a good match to dub 14yo children?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:05 pm

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:I guess with this re-dubbing of eva; that means Netflix will only have the dub and not the sub version.

Why would you think that? For Piano no mori (currently being produced by Gaina and streamed by Netflix), for instance, Netflix provides 20 sub languages, eight of which also have a dub which you can choose or not to taste.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby KRandMJ » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:37 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Why would you think that? For Piano no mori (currently being produced by Gaina and streamed by Netflix), for instance, Netflix provides 20 sub languages, eight of which also have a dub which you can choose or not to taste.

Can I do this for all anime on Netflix? can i make castlevania in japaneese for example or something? how do i do that?

I heard that this Redubbing is being done because of an error between the BluRay and Old audio. Idk if thats true; but if it is then that means Netflix is going to stream the BluRay version. Its probably gonna look choppy during streaming.

Will they include directors cut episodes?
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Re: Netflix Rights and Redub

Postby cyharding » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:42 pm

And we should remind ourselves that Spencer, Grant, & Keith will likely still have their roles in the final Rebuild movie when the time comes.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I hate the automatic presumption that something cannot be done as well now as it was twenty years ago; it's insulting to people currently working in the business. And are people who are now twenty years older than when they did it last time round really a good match to dub 14yo children?

This is just my opinion, but while I'm no fan of the dub, I thought Grant's performace improved with time. With the DC episodes, I can tell the difference between lines she recorded in 1996 and lines she did in 2002, which were an improvement to me.

This Netflix thing seems to be a big deal to people.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:12 pm

Since it seems like Khara's behind Netflix streaming NGE, and NGE's not a Netflix Original anime/cartoon/TV series (where only English/Whatever is available), I'd think that Studio Khara would want the original Japanese audio/translation alongside each dubbed language. Gotta pump the fans up for 2020's Shin Eva!

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ It’ll be interesting to see how Netflix deals with the extended episodes versus the originally aired episodes

I don't own the Japanese DVD/Bluray Box myself, but I thought the DC episodes are treated as default with the OA episodes placed afterwards? And the On Air episodes are the focus of the DVD Archives Box, aren't they? (Though it's not the original animations etc, but the Renewal version, huh?)

On that note: When NGE aired on Adult Swim in 2005, which set of episodes aired, OA or DC? I only caught Episode 3 on it, so :lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:01 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:The sooner we can purge Evangelion of Spike Spencer

I actually thought his performance in the movies was great.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:24 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:On that note: When NGE aired on Adult Swim in 2005, which set of episodes aired, OA or DC? I only caught Episode 3 on it, so :lol:

I only saw episode 23 but it was the DC version. Armisael and Unit 00 turned into a giant Rei before exploding.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:40 am

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:I heard that this Redubbing is being done because of an error between the BluRay and Old audio.

The existing dub fits alongside the blurays just fine.

The reasons for a new dub are several: rights issues; significant errors; multiple cast changes in the present dubs (when DC episodes and the films are included). And maybe we could add policy to that.

As for the DC episodes, they were made to replace the former versions - it is only somewhat perverse marketing decisions that led to us having the OA episodes presented alongside them in some editions. I would presume Netflix will only stream the DC episodes.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:07 am

View Original Postxwait wrote:In Italian, "neo" means this thing https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo

I'm italian, I know pretty well what neo- means.

http://www.treccani.it/vocabolario/neo/

View Original Postxwait wrote:It's a joke? Italian Shinji born *41* years ago while Shinji is *14* :facepalm:
(Kensuke is now 44 years old and Toji 50 :uhh: )

And Akira Ishida is a 51 years old man dubbing a 14 years old kid. Miyamura is 45 years old and she dubs a 14 years old kid, and so on with all the cast.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The existing dub fits alongside the blurays just fine.

Can confirm this, I have an "homemade" mix of JPN BD video and DVD localized audio and it's fine, no issues there.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:54 am

@ Joseki and xwait, another issue with localization, especially those of names and phrases used in Japanese science-ficion, is that the Japanese studio often insists that the localizer of the anime use specific words regardless of how much sense they make in the localizer's language. During ADV's correspondence with Gainax in the mid-90's, Gainax was pretty firm on using the word "children" when referencing the Eva pilots even if it was the singular use of the word, since that's how the show proper in Japan used the English language itself to refer to these individuals. (Rei isn't called the "First Child" in the English translations, but the Japanese used the English term "First Children" in their own Japanese dub.) ADV eventually convinced Gainax that the term "First Children" sounded grammatically stupid in English, and that everything would flow better if they had used the term "First Child" instead, but it took several e-mail going back and forth with the Japanese crew assuming for a while that their aesthetic was being undercut but the American translators. Gainax also wanted ADV to call the 使徒 (shito) "Angels" in the English dub, rather than calling them "Messengers," which it what the word 使徒 (shito) more accurately translates into. Gainax could have also been the ones to insist on the "Neo Tokyo" retitling for the English dub as well.

In the end, it doesn't matter what you think actually sounds more natural to your native tongue, it just matters what the Japanese thinks sounds cooler in your native tongue.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:32 am

Twitter and the Eva sub are in a real uproar over the original cast possibly not returning. (:|

But the thing is, haven't we already had a near total recast since the original ADV dub? Are there any actors from that dub who still voice their characters besides Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant and Allison Keith-Shipp? This is a question for people who are more in the know about VAs than I am.

I'm pretty sure that as of 3.0, Rei, Kaworu, Yui, Gendo, Fuyutsuki, Keel, Kaji, Maya, Hyuuga, Aoba, Ritsuko, Toji, Kensuke and Hikari have all been replaced, and a couple of those had already been replaced by End/DC. What was the reaction to Funimations casting originally? Because I like several of those new actors better than the first.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:53 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Twitter and the Eva sub are in a real uproar over the original cast possibly not returning. (:|

But the thing is, haven't we already had a near total recast since the original ADV dub? Are there any actors from that dub who still voice their characters besides Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant and Allison Keith-Shipp? This is a question for people who are more in the know about VAs than I am.

I'm pretty sure that as of 3.0, Rei, Kaworu, Yui, Gendo, Fuyutsuki, Keel, Kaji, Maya, Hyuuga, Aoba, Ritsuko, Toji, Kensuke and Hikari have all been replaced, and a couple of those had already been replaced by End/DC. What was the reaction to Funimations casting originally? Because I like several of those new actors better than the first.

I think the silent majority actually like the idea of it being redubbed,or don't care either way. The massive reddit thread on the subject has people in favour of the new dub upvoted by a wide margin. As I said before, I want wholesale changes so there's a new way to watch a show I've seen at least 5 times now.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:20 am

^That's reassuring. I understand people being unhappy when a familiar cast changes and I'm not saying that reaction is wrong by itself, but I do think it's early for people to get bent out of shape when we don't have any cast or even a studio announcement. Hopefully whoever they do end up casting doesn't get harassed by asshole fans on social media. It seems like way too many fandoms are quick to turn into a mob and launch harassment campaigns these days.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:32 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote: Hopefully whoever they do end up casting doesn't get harassed by asshole fans on social media. It seems like way too many fandoms are quick to turn into a mob and launch harassment campaigns these days.

This is something that does concern me. I know a few people have said that they won't be watching Eva on Netflix if it is redubbed which I think is a shame, it sends out a message that new VAs shouldn't try or shouldn't go for these roles because the fanbase will just reject them in this sort of situation. I think if it is redubbed with a new cast, in a way it'll be a shame if the original cast weren't even invited back to try and audition (Apparantly in this situation, according to a VA friend of mine normally a old cast will be invited back), but if it is a new cast we should get behind them and support them.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:53 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:In the end, it doesn't matter what you think actually sounds more natural to your native tongue, it just matters what the Japanese thinks sounds cooler in your native tongue.

Yeah this is true. The most recent case is Jojo part 5 with the Japanese licensor changing stand names for the west. :facepalm:
Last edited by Joseki on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:27 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I only saw episode 23 but it was the DC version. Armisael and Unit 00 turned into a giant Rei before exploding.

Ahh, interesting stuff. (Thanks for the reply!) That, in my mind, implies the Director Cut episodes take precedence, so to speak.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:24 pm

^ Yeah, I never saw the show on Adult Swim. Both versions were on the Blu-ray, but I forget which was listed first. I’ll have to check.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I understand people being unhappy when a familiar cast changes and I'm not saying that reaction is wrong by itself, but I do think it's early for people to get bent out of shape when we don't have any cast or even a studio announcement. Hopefully whoever they do end up casting doesn't get harassed by asshole fans on social media. It seems like way too many fandoms are quick to turn into a mob and launch harassment campaigns these days.

Well, a lot of people see it as an "affront" to what they think shouldn't be changed. In this case, I still don't see the issue with re dubbing the show. As much as I love the original dub, there's nothing wrong with some changes to better translate the original scripts, and what's wrong with changing voice actors?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”