Brazilian master's thesis on Eva

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Brazilian master's thesis on Eva

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:35 pm

or

Man-Machine Interface in Japanese Culture: Hybridization between technological and human body through animation Neon Genesis Evangelion

http://oatd.org/oatd/record?record=oai%5C:biblio.pucsp.br%5C:14147

Abstract (this be the only English in it)
The topic of this dissertation is the man-machine relation in Japanese culture. As this is a very broad topic, the primary goal of this study was to analyze the animated series Neon Genesis Evangelion demonstrating how it shows the hybridization of human beings and machines in order to propose a reflection on the uses of new technologies in modern society. Although this object of study is part of the so-called otaku culture - that marks the production of Japanese pop since 1980, the main hypothesis of the research is that the construction of these hybrid bodies always existed in Japanese culture and that, contrary to what many Western authors state, for the Japanese this does not constitute a post-human condition. In Japanese tradition, various forms of puppet theater established no clear distinction between the body of the puppeteer and the body of the doll. In methodological terms, the proposal was to analyze the language of the animated series Neon Genesis Evangelion, demonstrating how it shows the hybridization of human and machine without suggesting, however, that this type of relationship originates in modern Japan. It is hoped that this study will contribute to the field of communication both in the sense of clarifying certain aspects of Japanese pop culture as well as in the discussions regarding the interface between the human body and technology.

Purchase for R$ 30,13: http://www.editoracrv.com.br/?f=produto_detalhes&pid=4045

or download it: http://www.sapientia.pucsp.br//tde_busca/arquivo.php?codArquivo=16172
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:25 pm

I can't read Portuguese, otherwise I might have decided to add that to my list of PhD paper reviews as a lark. Still, it's interesting that he picked up Evangelion for that particular topic: the go-to anime for it would have been Ghost in the Shell, and even the Gundam franchise with its newtypes and psycommu technology might have been better suited to the subject matter.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:21 am

I was wondering why I couldn't copy text from this PDF into Google Translate - it's blocked by the security setting.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Restriktion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Restriktion » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:46 am

I suggest we start a petition. If there's a serious attempt at launching a Lance of Longinus to the moon, this can also be translated into english.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:10 pm

I heard about this from the guy who runs the evangelionbr and evageekboy profiles on Instagram. Guess he's not on here.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:23 pm

I didn't read the whole thing but it's pretty obvious the author is a fan of NGE that wanted an excuse to write about it, nevertheless he did a good job finding a theme and elaborating upon his thesis. The basic idea is that Japanese culture has a different view on the man-machine hybridization hypothesis in that they don't consider it to be a post-human condition but a human condition, whatever the hell this means (I think it's a bit superficial when it comes to explaining this). He cites the karakuri ningyo, a type of automated doll produced in Japan since the 17th century, as evidence that "robots" have been a part of the Japanese culture for a long time, and then uses anime to further exemplify this. The Japanese puppet theater is mentioned as an example of the amalgamation between man and "machine", and the shintoistic belief that inanimate objects can have souls is used to explain the differing views of the Japanese when it comes to man-machine hybridization.

Evangelion comes into all of this as an example of two different processes of man-machine hybridization, the Evas themselves, for being organic beings with mechanical constraints, and the synchronization process between the pilots and the Evas.

There is a similar work cited as a source but I didn't read that one.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”