Platinum Edition

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:54 pm

Oh definetely, remastered video and sound is nothing to scoff at, but it just sucks for the people who've bought the series already. Especially those who've tapes, then the DVDs, and now this.

I think I have website with a picture comparison, I'll try to dig around for it.
Edit: Oop, nevamind x:
Last edited by Super Mega Ultra Deluxe on Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:57 pm

http://evamonkey.com/renewal/

The split comparison screen shots just don't do it justice, you have to see it split screen and animated. You can REALLY see the frame jitter that way.

Asterix
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asterix » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:16 am

Asterix wrote:Does anybody know if it's going to be a cardboardish box like the Perfect Collection one, or a laser-engraved limited edition set like the first run of Paul Champagne ones? Cause I may just get it if it's a metal one, in part just to say I have both metal boxes...

As I more than likely answer my own question, for those that were wondering:

[url]http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/w3EWesxL892-UEgVUw/browse/item/63428/4/0/0[/url]

The metal box cost slightly under $50. Since this is the box and the first DVD for $30, I think it's a fairly safe bet that it's a cardboard one similar to that of the Perfect Collection.

Which, when you think about it, isn't all that "Perfect" anymore... :?
"why is it when an eva gets free will, the first thing it does is eat its own?"
"...tastes like chicken?"

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:58 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:I can't wait to see what else was altered.

Perhaps they fixed some of those bloopers.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:15 pm

Doubtful. They didn't do anything about the Nerv manual Shinji had before Misato gave it to him.

They didn't really alter that much. Apparently they changed little bits of background dialogue, put in more FX, for instance when the N2 Bomb goes off in the first episode, and you see Misato and Shinji sticking out of the car on its side, you can actually hear little bits of debris hitting and bouncing off the car. It may just be that you could't hear it in the previous audio, but its very distinct in the Renewal edition.

Crazyman42
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Crazyman42 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:29 pm

I vote for a decent Dub.

Deus Void
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Deus Void » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:56 pm

Anyone know what kind of release schedule these will be following? I notice that on [url]http://videoeta.com/[/url], they have a boxset listed for December, '05, though I'm willing to bet that's a slug date.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:18 pm

Deus Void wrote:Anyone know what kind of release schedule these will be following? I notice that on [url]http://videoeta.com/[/url], they have a boxset listed for December, '05, though I'm willing to bet that's a slug date.

December 05? They're nuts. It will likely be like the original DVD release (which annoyed me quite a lot since I was seeing it for the first time then), one every 2 months. We can all hope they do it quicker than that though, like every 6 or 4 weeks.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Deus Void
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Deus Void » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:31 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure that date was a place holder, but I don't the December 05 is crazy, if they're going for a 6-disc release this time around, that would put them at a year getting them out if they go every other month, and the boxset would be about 5 months after that. IF the date is correct, but I'm not going to bet on it.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:46 pm

It's a seven disc release.
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm

ADV is pretty consistant with getting stuff out in a timely fasion, I expect them to get one out each month.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:09 pm

Not really super, gigantic news, but something to think about.

In my July Newtype DVD, they had a trailer for the Platinum DVD. There were a few clips in there (more specifically, one of Asuka speaking, and one of Shinji speaking), and the English voices were different. However, there were two more clips of them speaking, and the English voices were the same. Unless the other two clips were just ones they took from the old version, it sorta looks as if they re-dubbed the series with new English VAs.

I'm a fan of the dubbed version, so this sorta may affect whether or not I shell out the $30-something bucks for the first DVD. It probably won't matter to anyone else, but this was just a little thought I had.
Close your eyes and listen hard

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:23 pm

Well, maybe you should give the Japanese track a chance ;)

Lord Tyreal
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lord Tyreal » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:28 pm

I be getting that sh*t cant wait just sold my old collection to pay for the new collection!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:42 pm

According to the Eva Mailing List, the Platinum Vol 1 DVD was sold at Anime Expo. So it is officially a finished product.

And yes, ADV is re-dubbing the show. This means they get a new audio for better 5.1 mixing, and they don't have to pay any royalties to any of the old voice actors.

People were even re-casted during the initial dub. If you check the credits, there were 3 different Toujis. And in the 18th episode when Touji is thinking about the time he punched Shinji in the 3rd episode the audio is different. By re-dubbing it, they didn't have to pay royalties to the original VA for re-using his recording.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:48 pm

Heh, I'll have to buy the boxed set when it comes out. Helllllllloooooooo Christmas gift a few years down the road :D :D
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:42 pm

Not an actual cast list, but most likely what it will be, given the DC and other factors:

Returning VAs:

Spike Spencer: Shinji Ikari
Tiffany Grant: Asuka Langley Sohryu
Amanda Winn Lee: Rei Ayanami (uncertain, she doesn't work for ADV currently, but she reprised for the DC)
Allison Keith: Misato Katsuragi
Sue Ulu: Ritsuko Akagi
Guil Lunde: Kouzou Fuyutsuki
Matt Greenfield: Makota Hyuga
Carol Amerson: Hikari Horaki
Rick Peeples: Chairman Kihl
Aaron Krohn: Ryohji Kaji
Laura Chapman: Naoko Akagi
Kim Sevier: Yui Ikari

New VAs:

Greg Ayres: Kaworu Nagisa
John Swasey: Gendo Ikari
Monica Rial: Maya Ibuki
Vic Mignogna: Shigeru Aoba

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:12 pm

Aw man, the first Gendou VA was perfect. :(
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:30 pm

I like Tristan MacAvery as Gendo, but the new guy isn't so bad either, I actually kinda like his portrayal.

But you won't find Tristan doing Gendo for ADV, he has a biting distaste for the company. Its quite funny actually.

http://www.kylehebert.com/tristan_macavery_interview.htm

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:34 pm

Asuka pregnant at the end of EoE? Well there's a new one...
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”