Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Eh at this point i might just reorder the boxes in October and then send the defective ones back at that time

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:22 pm

How on earth was that image transfer problem not caught before now? It's so glaring you'd think that they would have caught it before releasing the set.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:26 pm

The simple answer is that noone really cares about the DVD Archive box :hahaha:
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:53 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:LaserDisc

The best home media format when it comes to cover art because damn those things were HUEG.

Should have known this, since I watched the original Star Wars trilogy on LDs when I saw it for the first time!

So it's just one version of EoE that had the messed-up eyecatch, and it's just the Archive version of Death with the bad splice? That's much more bearable.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:09 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Should have known this, since I watched the original Star Wars trilogy on LDs when I saw it for the first time!

So it's just one version of EoE that had the messed-up eyecatch, and it's just the Archive version of Death with the bad splice? That's much more bearable.

It's still annoying, though. Do I care all that much about an eyecatch, or about one particular version of Death? No, I don't. But I want my Blu-Rays and archives to be perfect, damn it. And now, by the looks of it, I'm gonna have to return my (opened) copies to the seller, accept whatever loss is assigned to that, and then buy a corrected set once it comes out (or, alternatively, keep the flawed copies as a collector's item and buy the fixed copies when they're released). It's an incredible hassle, and a huge expense, either way, and I'm not happy about it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:13 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's still annoying, though. Do I care all that much about an eyecatch, or about one particular version of Death? No, I don't. But I want my Blu-Rays and archives to be perfect, damn it. And now, by the looks of it, I'm gonna have to return my (opened) copies to the seller, accept whatever loss is assigned to that, and then buy a corrected set once it comes out (or, alternatively, keep the flawed copies as a collector's item and buy the fixed copies when they're released). It's an incredible hassle, and a huge expense, either way, and I'm not happy about it.

I care about death(true) but i think the same as you, Bagheera.

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:18 pm

I definitely agree, because even small errors or errors that only occur in one instance are still just that--errors--and it's not pleasant to have something that's billed as being perfect (or in the case of the archives, perhaps it's more accurate to call it "pristine) end up with any errors at all. It's especially a shame since, being importers, we don't have nearly the level of ease when it comes to getting this corrected.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:36 pm

Oh, I agree by all means! Of course I want to own a collection and have it be actually as intended. However, for errors that do not impact the majority of the content that I care about watching, this is a relatively small blip. I think I'll keep them, though-- collector's items and all that. A piece of Evangelion history!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Well, I've just spent the evening merging bochan_bird's translation of the EoE screenplay (and a bit of the screenplay re-translation from the commentary e.g. “SEMPAI ♥ SEMPAI ♥ SEMPAI ♥”) into the timings in the .ass file that squall.leonhart put up a week or so back; spot-checking, it seems to have come out OK.

Now I have a decent video and subtitle stream, time to schedule a proper rewatch.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:02 pm

I'm somewhat of two minds about the box set errors.

On one hand I really don't care about Death(True) DVD as it's very close in terms of content to (True)², and really the original theatrical version of Death from the BD set is the only novel version of it worth noting. Also the eyecatch discrepancy on the "Genesis version" of EoE is rather trivial especially since I probably would never choose to watch that version when Revival is on the same box set. That, and I already have the original 1999 R2J DVD (Volume 7) for that version if I absolutely needed to see that particular eyecatch again.

On the other hand, I paid a total of $360 for both sets and I'd just as soon have it be perfect. Decisions, decisions...

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:27 pm

^ Me too, really. Though, I've never owned an LD disc or player, so that tips the scales every so slightly in me possibly thinking about maybe caring about it every so slightly more than one who would have owned the LDs.

Maybe I just need to buy some LDs and a player, just for the heck of it.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:27 pm

Is there even any word they're going to fix the error on the DVDs? At moment, only the Blu-ray release seems to be the subject of focus.

panaino
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby panaino » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:00 am

Was chatting with an AmazonJP customer rep regarding the BD Box issue.

Was offered a refund or replacement (once Khara puts out the new pressing in October supposedly).

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:29 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Is there even any word they're going to fix the error on the DVDs? At moment, only the Blu-ray release seems to be the subject of focus.

The original message speaks of which disk in each set to send back for replacement in due course.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:05 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I really doubt Stateside release would even contain the LD version of EoE to begin with. Heck, it probably won't even contain the Theatrical edition. It will probably just be the Revival edition.

I feel silly for having to ask this since I own the LD EoE, but what are the differences between it and other releases, if any? I don't actually have anything to watch LD on...I just buy them because they look so nice :lol:

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:02 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:On the other hand, I paid a total of $360 for both sets and I'd just as soon have it be perfect. Decisions, decisions...

Since the recall program is limited to Japan, you are going to set yourself up for a lot of extra cost to exchange the disc and get 4 seconds of video fixed. I would say it's not worth it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:26 pm

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:I feel silly for having to ask this since I own the LD EoE, but what are the differences between it and other releases, if any? I don't actually have anything to watch LD on...I just buy them because they look so nice :lol:

Assuming that you have the LD boxset of the Theatrical Edition (KILA-9401) from December 1998, its version of EoE is the standard one that carried over to all future releases including Revival of Evangelion.

However, there was another version of the film released on Laserdisc in two parts in August (Genesis 0:13) and September 1998 (Genesis 0:14) which is officially called the "Video Format Edition", but is often called the "Genesis Version" by English-speaking fans due to its origins in the TV series LDs. Since it came out 3 months before the Theatrical Edition box, very early VHS fansubs were based on it.

This comparison page outlines the differences between the two versions. The comparison page was originally made long before the Blu-ray box set was announced and thus uses the 1999 and 2003 DVDs as its source, but is still valid for your purposes.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:16 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Since the recall program is limited to Japan, you are going to set yourself up for a lot of extra cost to exchange the disc and get 4 seconds of video fixed. I would say it's not worth it.

You've convinced me. Though, I'll probably wait until sometime next ear before buying the Archive DVD set, just to be sure I don't get a mangled Death.

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:14 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Going back to the Death quality thingi, I'm starting to think that the Death and Rebirth transfer might be from a theatrical print, while the Death True^2 is the better handled original master. When you look at the TV footage in both, the Death True stuff looks to be pretty similar in colors and contrast to the TV series.

Yes, I've confirmed that. I've been pixel peeping Death and the original episodes and found that Death actually has TWO LAYERS OF FILM GRAIN ARTIFACTS. If you can find a big enough film speck on one of the Tv episodes, you will likely find it again on the Death film if it is the exact same frame. Tough I'm in the suspicion not all episodes were cut from the same film source in the case of Death. I failed to find specks from the Episode 19 berserk scene on the Death cut scene. The image looks very different, Episode 19 looks more dull and Digitally denoised, ufortunately.
But on Non-DC episode 23, I could locate several dust specks on both death and the episode from disc 5.

Now, Death true may have better black detail, but it has more white clipping and in several scenes it looks slightly less sharp than Original Death. I also am not 100% convinced original Death was mastered in 35mm at all.

Also, some episodes have been severely DNR, while others retains much more grain. Notably 8 is by far the most DNR, things looks a smudgefeast. 19 is also pretty bad. Episode 26 seens like it doesn't have ANY DNR whatsoever, episode 3 and 4 also looks pretty damn noisy.

And color/exposure wise, the best episode IMO is episode 12.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Not getting excited until they confirm they're actually remastering it properly and not simply dumping the old ass HDCAM tapes onto the discs.

EDIT: I bet this will be the reason Newtype is getting an Eva cover and feature story this month.

As long as groups could get their hands on the 1080i master from the broadcast .ts, there may be still hope of getting a decent version of episode 16.

Speaking of episode 19, I wonder how far I can enter in details here, but I've been pretty annoyed with color inconsistencies on some episodes, specially episode 19. I spent over 12 hours color correcting it for my own personal taste.

I usually prefer accepting the color mastering choice of photography directors, I've come to accept the Yellow tint of episodes 1-2 and further inconsistencies, but episode 19 just look hideous.

If ss are allowed, I can post some original and color corrected screen caps versions of my episode 19 around here.

I managed to get translations for the Anno phone talk about Love & Pop and I was looking for translations of the making of for the LA sequences on EoE, anyone got interested in translating it?
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999
-----------------------------------------------------

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:56 pm

FINALLY got my copy! Boy, did it get here fast! I ordered this Tuesday and it arrived today. I saw bits of Death & Rebirth, EOE and some of the first episodes and it was beautiful.

:asuka_sad:

The quality is absolutely amazing although the Stereo track seems to have a bizarre echo effect. There also times where I have to raise the volume in my television just to hear the dialogue or its drowned out by the music and sometimes vice versa (the music is drowned out by the dialogue). Maybe it's my TV settings?

I had been agonizing over this set because I feared it go OOP but that hasn't been the case......yet. With Jo (Evangelion 1.0) coming next week, I will have the entire Japanese home video collection of Evangelion in my inventory.

:rei_hissyfit:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”