Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:18 pm

I'm getting this when playing the BD. :|
http://i.imgur.com/CqgUU4a.png
Does anyone know how to fix this?
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:14 pm

AACS = BD copy protection.
Decoding for it is built into fancy ass and paid players like PowerDVD and whatever.

Simple players like VLC and MPC are usually denied access. Separate programs exist to remove AACS and allow you full access to the media you paid for, which in my opinion is a better value than just a paid player. I'd recommend AnyDVD HD for removing those silly anti-consumer barriers.

Going back to the Death quality thingi, I'm starting to think that the Death and Rebirth transfer might be from a theatrical print, while the Death True^2 is the better handled original master. When you look at the TV footage in both, the Death True stuff looks to be pretty similar in colors and contrast to the TV series. Maybe a bit washed out, blown up and cropped, but still looking pretty normal. Death and Rebirth on the other hand has has maxed out saturation and contrast, as well as significantly more film jitter and grain. Here's my guess as to what happened:
-Death and Rebirth is shoved out into theatres.
-The staff then chop up the negatives so that they can make Air and Death True to be released later, this becomes the final resting place of those original negative bits.
-When they go back and want to release Death and Rebirth on home media they aren't going to take those negatives and recut them yet again so they go for a theatrical print, of which there must be hundreds of copies.

I'm basing this on that given the jitter (jitter of negatives on top of jitter of film print) and color/contrast issues (something that either got intentionally overdone for theatrical prints or was incompetently done). To me the contrast looks to be inherent to the film and not something done later digitally. Death and Rebirth also has a metric ton of scratches not present in Death True.

For some reason screenshotcompare is refusing to accept my files but thankfull someone else has been doing comparisons:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/142865/

EDIT: oh it finally worked, here's and egregious example of Death and Rebirth contrast murder:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/142866
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:54 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Going back to the Death quality thingi, I'm starting to think that the Death and Rebirth transfer might be from a theatrical print, while the Death True^2 is the better handled original master.

The official product listing does state the following:

Evangelion.co.jp wrote:『新世紀エヴァンゲリオン劇場版 シト新生』は劇場公開当時のプリントフィルムからのテレシネとなり、オリジナルマスターに起因するノイズ等が発生する箇所がございます。あらかじめご了承ください
"Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth" becomes a telecine from the print film at the time theatrical release, there is a place where noise or the like due to the original master occurs.

So it certainly looks like that they used a telecine of a release print for the original D&R used on Blu-ray disc #6. It would make sense that a telecine would have to be used in lieu of materials closer to the source, as Revival of Evangelion (which includes the [True]² version of Death as well as EoE) has been the "version of record" of the movies ever since the Theatrical Edition VHS/LD box sets were put out back in December 1998. This rationale was taken to its logical extent in the 2003 Renewal DVD release, which even eschewed Rebirth in favor of only having Revival on DVD, albeit split across two discs.

And since the components of The End of Evangelion weren't changed between its original theatrical release in July 1997 and the March 1998 "Revival of Evangelion" re-release, that would explain why the same encode was used for both Discs #7 (The End of Evangelion) and #8 (Revival of Evangelion). As the original theatrical version of EoE was incorporated unchanged into Revival (i.e. the "version of record"), there would be no variations that would require going back to release prints for re-acquisition.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:28 pm

Whoops, forgot to RTFM. -o-;

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:31 pm

Could I ask one of you fine folks with the BDs to please grab a high-res cap of these Eva heads for me?
SPOILER: Show

I'd really appreciate it. ^_^
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:13 pm

So what's the fuckup in the boxes that they offer disc exchanges?

http://www.starchild.co.jp/eva-box.html

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:27 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:So what's the fuckup in the boxes that they offer disc exchanges?

http://www.starchild.co.jp/eva-box.html

Here it is in broken English.

Evangelion NEON GENESIS EVANGELION Blu-ray BOX and,
Apology and Notice of Evangelion TV broadcast version ARCHIVES OF EVANGELION DVD BOX
Dear You Thanks for choosing your patronage to our products.
This time, we have launched in August 26, 2015 from our company "Evangelion NEON GENESIS EVANGELION Blu-ray BOX" (Item Number: KIXA-90501 ~ 90510 / following BD-BOX) in the DISC 9 and, "New Genesis Evangelion TV broadcast version ARCHIVES OF EVANGELION DVD BOX ": the part of the video that has been recorded in the DISC 8 (trade number KIBA-92191 ~ 92198 / following DVD BOX) in, was there an error.

<Relevant>
● BD-BOX DISC 9 video Benefits
Episode 25, "Air" (video format version) and,
26th Episode eye-catching part of the "sincerity, Kimi to" (video format version)

<False>
The [false] THE END OF EVANGELION → [positive] NEON GENESIS EVANGELION

● DVD BOX DISC 8
"Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth" TV broadcast version of "EVANGELION: DEATH (TRUE)" within,
6 seconds in playing time 41 minutes 58 seconds to 42 minutes 04 seconds (* become a time in the playback machine, there is some error depending on the model.)

<False>
Technical mistake occurs in the working process, we have become a video contents of another cut to the right of the screen upper part of the place are mixed.

Since I will exchange the disk after master modification, very trouble .. is handy item to the following address (For BD-BOX and DISC 9 only, DISC 8 only with respect to DVD BOX) Please return the fees cash on delivery received so thank you. (There is no problem with the other disk and package ※)
It performs the arrival as soon as disk verification, will be delivered promptly to contact at hand as soon as the disc manufacturing after master modification.
That I will apologize for any inconvenience to customers that I was purchased, I apologize.

September 24, 2015 / King Records Co., Ltd.

Record
[Your return method]
● Upon actual your return, ①BD-BOX DISC 9, ②DVD BOX DISC 8, or ③ both DISC only (case, other DISC leaving at hand), please return.
● rear back, please use the "courier" or "Yu-Pack" remain of sending record.
● postage please send so it will be borne by our company in the "cash on delivery treatment".
● To send a modified disk, thank you so you do not forget the enclosed memo like that had you fill out and along with the disk that if you return, "your name, postal code, address, telephone number, and disk replacement."

[BD-BOX DISC 9 / DVD BOX DISC 8 your return address]
Yubinbango112-0013, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo Otowa 1-2-3 King Records Co., Ltd. Telephone Center (thank you to each of the engagement)
①EVA BD-BOX DISC9 exchange clerk / ②EVA DVD BOX DISC8 exchange clerk / ③EVA B9 & D8 exchange engagement
TEL: 03-5940-7500 (Hours / Mon-Fri: 10:00 to 17:00)

Or more
© Copyright King Record.Co., Ltd. All Right Reserved.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:54 pm

I can't make heads or tails out of that. Something's wrong with the discs? What? I sincerely hope not, since my copies are 3,000 miles away from me and I won't be able to send them back for a while. Not sure if I want to trust my family to do it for me, either. Could somebody with sufficient Japanese knowledge hop on this and figure out what the deal is?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:25 pm

BD Box: They messed up the eyecatches for the video version of EoE (Disc 9). They say "End of Evangelion" when they should say "Neon Genesis Evangelion".

Archive Box: Disc 8, Death (True). Something is up with six seconds of footage between approx. 41m58s to 42m04s. I'd need more context to make total sense of the error's description. Something about content from a different cut (i.e., shot) getting mixed into the upper-right corner of the screen? Maybe someone could check it out and see what they're talking about.
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:45 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:BD Box: They messed up the eyecatches for the video version of EoE (Disc 9). They say "End of Evangelion" when they should say "Neon Genesis Evangelion".

You were able to get that from the incoherent mess I posted? I gave up after reading it twice!

:hahaha:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:05 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:BD Box: They messed up the eyecatches for the video version of EoE (Disc 9). They say "End of Evangelion" when they should say "Neon Genesis Evangelion".

Archive Box: Disc 8, Death (True). Something is up with six seconds of footage between approx. 41m58s to 42m04s. I'd need context to total sense of the error's description. Something about content from a different cut (i.e., shot) getting mixed into the upper-right corner of the screen? Maybe someone could check it out and see what they're talking about.

Well, shit. I guess I'll have to figure out how to get the proper discs.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:18 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:You were able to get that from the incoherent mess I posted?

No, I got it from the Japanese original. :tongue:

If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll try to decipher the instructions for getting a replacement later.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:38 pm

Hm. I'll have to look at my BD set tomorrow. I'll also have to decide if it's worth replacing all 10 discs for. (Unless, of course, they're only gonna ship a replacement 9th disc. Then I'd be totally cool with that.)

My heart says I should, because I want what I was promised. At the same time, I'm never really gonna watch the non-Theatrical/Revival editions. (Though, I guess I should never say never. :tongue: )

Riotgear
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Riotgear » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:52 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Archive Box: Disc 8, Death (True). Something is up with six seconds of footage between approx. 41m58s to 42m04s. I'd need more context to make total sense of the error's description. Something about content from a different cut (i.e., shot) getting mixed into the upper-right corner of the screen? Maybe someone could check it out and see what they're talking about.

Here we go. It's pretty funny, actually.

Last edited by Riotgear on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:00 am

Do you think it's possible replacing discs for people living outside Japan? Or is this replacement available just for people in Japan?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:10 am

I plan to find out. As I read the broken English, they will replace the disks (once available) on receipt of the bad disks only. But I don't imagine there's any easy way to implement their offer of free (COD) shipping back to them from round the world.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:16 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I don't imagine there's any easy way to implement their offer of free (COD) shipping back to them from round the world.

That's my fear, too

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:02 am

Yeah, my BD Disc 9 copy also has the wrong title cards for the LD version of EoE. I'm thinking I should get that fixed. And if it's shipping we're worried about, I've always done the cheapest, ship-it-in-a-month method. Works for my budget. I'll just need to provide the e-mail with the receipt when the time comes, right?

Also, this seems to validate my waiting until purchasing the Archival DVD version. Speaking of which,

View Original PostRiotgear wrote:Here we go. It's pretty funny, actually.

How on Earth did that happen? Was someone making an AMV and accidentally get his footage mixed up with official release footage? That doesn't appear like a mistake that can be done through remastering of the film itself. That looks like someone left a digital matte mask over a video as it was over-layed on another video.

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:14 am

I've bought bdbox and dvdbox from amazon jp.
They wrote me back this, after my email:

Hello,

I am truly sorry to hear about the problem you experienced with this order.

In regard to this problem, as they informed it in the website, we kindly ask you to contact the manufacture to get their support.

You can reach キングレコード(King Record) at the following number.

-----------------------
Phone:+81 3-5940-7500(international call from other countries)
Business Hours: 10:00-17:00 (JST)
-----------------------

Since your item is currently out of Japan, I would recommend you to contact the manufacturer before you return the items.

If you have any further question, please contact us at anytime.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:37 pm

For those not willing to call, I found a customer service form here: https://cnt.kingrecords.co.jp/customer/cs/cs_form.html
It's in Japanese, but the fields are like this:

Name (required): [Put your name here, obviously]
Phonetic Name (required): [It says to use hirigana, but I used katakana. I assume you could also duplicate your name here.]
Email Address (required): [Put your email address here, obviously]
Phone Number (required): [Go ahead and put it here. Hopefully if you filled the rest of this out in English, then they may have an English speaking representative call you.
Fax Number: [Who still uses fax?]
Mailing Address (required): [If you used a forwarding service, put the address in here. If not, troll them and put their own address in. Here's how, "112" in first box, "0013" in second box, select "東京都" from the drop down box (should be 13th option), and paste "文京区音羽1-2-3" in the final box.]
Sex: [Yes please :tongue: , nah first option is "male", second is "female"]
Message (required): "The press release in regards to item numbers KIXA-90501~90510 and KIBA-92191~92198 only give replacement instructions for domestic customers. I am an international customer and the product was NOT shipped to the above address. [RETAILER] informed me to contact Starchild Records directly to obtain replacement discs. How will Starchild Records be replacing the discs for international customers? Please correspond in English." [Or you can type your own.]

Hit the first button to submit. You will be taken to a preview page. Press the first button to submit again.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”