Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:35 am

View Original PostDima wrote:If the footage from the ending is a preview for the BD then it looks really bad.

Honestly it doesn't look any better than any version out there.

Pls don't be true.....

He said that the footage wasn't HD... It's also a rip from a broadcast stream which means there's more compression and artefacts than the high bitrate of Blu-Ray.

Everybody calm down!

The Blu-Rays are almost out, the technicians working on the transfers would have to be absolutely negligent with the telecine machine to get bad results. From the interview posted it doesn't sound like they applied any noise reduction and they had many good sources for the color correction. The Blu-Rays are going to be at least good if not great.

Also from the Death footage they at the very end of the clip it looked like a very good transfer. Very clear, that at least is much better than anything out there (the footage of Death starts at around 1:41:00).

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:46 am

Just a reminder that videophiles should use PMs if they're going to pore over significant chunks rather than targeted fair-use level excerpts.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:03 pm

View Original Postshinhito wrote:He said that the footage wasn't HD... It's also a rip from a broadcast stream which means there's more compression and artefacts than the high bitrate of Blu-Ray.

Everybody calm down!

Still the footage didn't looked crisp, upscaled neither had better better colors.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:22 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Still the footage didn't looked crisp, upscaled neither had better better colors.

Right, the footage also had abundant frame blending, and the frame rate was all over the place. We also don't know what the source material was for that broadcast. For all we know that station just took older Evangelion episodes they had laying around and were just showing the episode to drum up hype for Evangelion in general.

The Death footage looked decent, and had great colors and decent detail for being an SD broadcast. There was even some nice looking grain. Not too sharp and it didn't look like noise reduction had been applied.

The only way we would get a decent preview of the quality of the Blu-ray is if King Records/Khara themselves (or another similar distribution company/group) provided screengrabs or clips of footage. Or if there was an accidental leak and someone uploads the Blu-rays. But it seems like those scenarios are very slim, so we'll just have to patiently wait until August 26th.

It's only 5 days away.

Everyone take deep, calm, soothing breaths. It is almost time...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:05 pm

I didn't yet check if these are accessible to us gaijin, but something cool to pass the time:

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:38 am

So i was looking the official site of Eva and i noticed something strange. Here is what i am talking about

[url]https://twitter.com/eva_fan/status/634300510003068928[/url]

If you click on the screen you can see right at the bottom the name ''KAWORU.0.1''. Unless i am mistaken this is the first time we are seeing such name. I don't think it is random because every other word in this pic has to do with the original series.

I know i shouldn't post this here but i am not sure where should i post it. If the mods think this is something worthy to discuss maybe they can split my post otherwise i will make a new thread.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

AdmiralDerp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AdmiralDerp » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:45 am

View Original PostDima wrote:So i was looking the official site of Eva and i noticed something strange. Here is what i am talking about

[url]https://twitter.com/eva_fan/status/634300510003068928[/url]

If you click on the screen you can see right at the bottom the name ''KAWORU.0.1''. Unless i am mistaken this is the first time we are seeing such name. I don't think it is random because every other word in this pic has to do with the original series.

I know i shouldn't post this here but i am not sure where should i post it. If the mods think this is something worthy to discuss maybe they can split my post otherwise i will make a new thread.

It's from EoE.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:51 am

Yep you are right. Funny thing is that before posting it i thought maybe this had something to do with the MP Evas but for some strange reason i thought the name was ''Kaworu Dummy System'' and not ''Kaworu 0.1''.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:16 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Thank you so much shinhito for the scans and Blue Three for the translation!

Can't believe I forgot to do this earlier! Totally seconded. You guys are great. :kawaii:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:20 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Can't believe I forgot to do this earlier! Totally seconded. You guys are great. :kawaii:

Oh you are too sweet. It was just $12 and about an hour of my time.

You know it's you mods/admins who the real heroes!

:clap:
He then played every song from 1993. The crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfully.
Your eyelashes tickled my neck, with every nervous blink. And it was perfect, until the telephone started ringing

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:32 am

Heh, that would be former mod/admin in my case. -o-; (I have yet to recover from my fall from grace...)

The overall lack of information has been really odd, considering how massive the promotion for the Renewal DVDs was. Gotta say I'm looking forward to everyone's reviews on the sets. I can't justify ordering them now, but, if the word is good enough, hopefully within the next few months. *offers blood sacrifice to money gods and prays for the continued strength of USD*
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:20 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Heh, that would be former mod/admin in my case. -o-; (I have yet to recover from my fall from grace...)

Oh well, then I take it all back! Go put a sock in it Reichu!!

:lol: Jay kay!

I took a break from EvaGeeks for a bit and didn't realize that you were no longer an anointed one!

But the big question is what color is Rei's hair going to be in this Blu-Ray boxed set. I am hoping for Green since we know her Blue hair is supposed to represent real life people with Green hair.
He then played every song from 1993. The crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfully.
Your eyelashes tickled my neck, with every nervous blink. And it was perfect, until the telephone started ringing

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:34 am

I'm going to start a cut-by-cut BD / Renewal / Archives comparison to expand our existing OA vs DC pages as soon as the boxes arrive here.
I wonder if I could automate the process of taking screenshots from the BDs using my existing Renewal screenshots as a reference and some image processing library (OpenCV?). That would be cool.

Now, if only I could get my hands on a copy of GDVD-006/KIBA-6 for the ultimate Archives / OA / DC / Renewal OA / Renewal DC / BD 21-24 comparison...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:53 am

Ooh, a comparison's exactly what I'm hoping for. Can't wait!

Would be cool if I could also nab the BDs a few months from now, but with so many things going on, I really might have to wait until U.S. releases....
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:07 pm

View Original PostBlue Three wrote:Sure does sound like they got a team that cares for the show. Then again I guess you could make everything sound good. I'll believe it when I see it. This is really just an extended ad.

This fact is more than mere marketing, surely:
View Original PostBlue Three wrote:Work on Eva took about ten times as long as on other series.
It would seem they were actually trying.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Blue Three
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Three » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:32 pm

The simple fact that they're putting out a DVD box set with not just the same content but something entirely different than what's on the Blu-rays (and which is actually something that fans want to see yet didn't even ask for) kinda shows they're being pretty thorough.

It's funny really. Being a fan of a lot of older Japanese movies (mostly 60s), one can't help but notice that the market doesn't really seem to care about preservation. The best versions/prints of a lot of films (and these are not just niche flicks but real classics) are produced not in Japan, but in either the US or UK. In some rare cases certain films won't even be readily available or will have been released most recently when the DVD format was still pretty new. Yet labels like Criterion or Masters of Cinema do outstanding jobs with restoring these pictures for current formats. It kinda hurts to see how much Japan is behind in that regard. Then again, yes... the demand just isn't there.

When it comes to anime though, it's a totally different picture. Pretty much the entire Gundam catalogue has by now been released on Blu-ray with exceptional picture all around. Sunrise has been doing an amazing job there. The Ghibli films look stunning. Same goes for many other titles.

Priorities...

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:48 am

View Original Postath wrote:I'm going to start a cut-by-cut BD / Renewal / Archives comparison to expand our existing OA vs DC pages as soon as the boxes arrive here.
I wonder if I could automate the process of taking screenshots from the BDs using my existing Renewal screenshots as a reference and some image processing library (OpenCV?). That would be cool.

Now, if only I could get my hands on a copy of GDVD-006/KIBA-6 for the ultimate Archives / OA / DC / Renewal OA / Renewal DC / BD 21-24 comparison...

Don't know where you're located, but Amazon Japan has a 3rd-party seller (セレクトショップ_Bluesdale 専用在庫で迅速にお届けします ) selling a copy for JPY 580 via Amazon's warehouses, so it can be shipped overseas directly without having to use a proxy shipper.

I'm in the USA, so for me it would be ¥580 + ¥1200 for DHL shipping for a total of ¥1780 (or about US $15). Shipping costs would obviously vary by destination, but are listed here.

Note that the sellers for the two ¥579 copies don't ship overseas, so that's why I skipped them.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:19 am

Some new articles and an info thingy were posted about the upcoming release (I think that's what they are, anyway.)

[url]http://www.tohotheater.jp/theater/076/info/event/evangelion-shinjyuku.html[/url]

[url]http://route2015.evastore.jp/interview/05/[/url]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:21 am

My copies shipped today. I am so deliriously happy! Now I just gotta find a way to play 'em . . .
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:56 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:My copies shipped today. I am so deliriously happy! Now I just gotta find a way to play 'em . . .

Could you let us know what retailer you purchased them from? Inquiring minds want to know!

:lol:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”