Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AdmiralDerp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AdmiralDerp » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:09 pm

View Original Postshinhito wrote:I just watched them through a VPN. You're not missing much. It's only in 480p although the End of Eva clip looks pretty nice!

EDIT: Here are some screencaps for prosperity sake...

Here's a comparison of your screencaps downscaled to the SD resolution with ones I took from my DVD copy (KIBA-1009/10). I went frame by frame, so they should be an exact match. It's not a really fair example though since the web stream isn't exactly high quality, but it's something.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/138956

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:37 pm

There's really no point using and encode of an encode of an encode of a broadcast to judge the product....

Want actually potentially useful info? Anyone have that September Newtype yet? Mine still hasn't shipped because apparently Japan was on holiday for half a week.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:56 pm

Well, at least whenever the BD (and DVD) boxes ship, people will be taking boatloads of comparison pics...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:09 pm

I still have the Manga Ent and Renewal releases of EoE. It's be neat to see an evoltuion of restoration in that film.

Also, we probably need to screencap all of those flashing images in Kom Susser Tod again in HD. Because why not?

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:57 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I still have the Manga Ent and Renewal releases of EoE. It's be neat to see an evoltuion of restoration in that film.

Also, we probably need to screencap all of those flashing images in Kom Susser Tod again in HD. Because why not?

Oh god my friend and I spent ages looking through that scene :lol:

Arturokun951
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Arturokun951 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:19 am

If choose to get the set later when I have the money will it be completely sold out and no longer restock?

Adaminator1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adaminator1 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:37 am

View Original PostArturokun951 wrote:If choose to get the set later when I have the money will it be completely sold out and no longer restock?

Who do you think Khara is, Disney?

It'll sell out, it's Eva. But they'll probably re-stock it. I don't know how this works over there, but it would be nuts for them to not keep such a release in production for a while. That isn't to say it COULDN'T happen. But I'd say it'd be pretty unlikely for it to be out for good after the first (or second) print.
Last edited by Adaminator1 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I finally put something here!

Arturokun951
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Arturokun951 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:58 am

View Original PostAdaminator1 wrote:Who do you think Khara is, Disney?

I am new here and forgive me for being ignorant, I'm just not familiar with the availabilities in Japan, That's not to say that I assumed they do things as Disney would but I just wasn't sure how long the supplies will last for this particular set.

Adaminator1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adaminator1 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:00 am

View Original PostArturokun951 wrote:I am new here and forgive me for being ignorant, I'm just not familiar with the availabilities in Japan, That's not to say that I assumed they do things as Disney would but I just wasn't sure how long the supplies will last for this particular set.

I figure it'll get reprinted. I'm about as knowledgeable as you are, since I don't import sets form Japan, but Eva's too popular for it to not be reprinted at least a few times. I just made the Disney comment because I can't think of any companies who actually do that outside of them in particular.

Arturokun951
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Arturokun951 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:09 am

View Original PostAdaminator1 wrote:I figure it'll get reprinted. I'm about as knowledgeable as you are, since I don't import sets form Japan, but Eva's too popular for it to not be reprinted at least a few times. I just made the Disney comment because I can't think of any companies who actually do that outside of them in particular.

Well that's a relief for the mean time I know I should wait for a U.S. released (if It happens) but I want to support studio khara and I like how the sets look especially For the DVD set(prefer the red color). Planning on getting both. Since I've been done DVD ages ago this will be an exception to my Eva collection.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:48 am

View Original PostArturokun951 wrote:If choose to get the set later when I have the money will it be completely sold out and no longer restock?

Actually, that's quite possible.

Back in June 2003 when the "Renewal" set came out, it was sold out relatively soon afterwards. However there were also single-volume releases (which are still in print to this day) announced well in advance and sold soon after the box went on sale, so the only thing that couldn't be easily bought after the box went OOP was the 11th bonus disc. Below is the schedule of the 2003 DVD releases that was announced in December 2002:

Mar 26, 2003: "01 Test-Type" (a disc with just Episode 1 to show the A/V improvement in "Renewal")
Jun 25, 2003: Renewal box set w/ 11th bonus disc
Jul 21, 2003: Volumes 1 & 2
Aug 27, 2003: Volumes 3 & 4
Sep 26, 2003: Volumes 5 & 6
Oct 22, 2003: Volumes 7 & 8
Nov 27, 2003: The Feature Film (i.e. "Revival of Evangelion" in a 2-DVD package)

Eventually there were re-releases of the 11-disc Renewal box set (both a reprinting of the full 2003 box with the fancy "monolith" box and booklets, and a price-reduced "07 Edition" thinpak box with just the discs themselves) but it took a full 4 years (August 2007) for those to happen.

All that said, Khara / King Records have to date made absolutely no announcement regarding any future single-disc Blu-ray releases. As such, it is somewhat plausible that the 2015 Blu-ray box and/or the "Archives of Evangelion" DVD box may be in print indefinitely. But I wouldn't postpone buying either one if at all possible. It's always 100% harder for foreigners to buy Japanese media on the secondary market as compared to standard retailers like Amazon Japan and CDJapan.

Arturokun951
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Arturokun951 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:38 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote:All that said, Khara / King Records have to date made absolutely no announcement regarding any future single-disc Blu-ray releases. As such, it is somewhat plausible that the 2015 Blu-ray box and/or the "Archives of Evangelion" DVD box may be in print indefinitely. But I wouldn't postpone buying either one if at all possible. It's always 100% harder for foreigners to buy Japanese media on the secondary market as compared to standard retailers like Amazon Japan and CDJapan.

well guess i'll just have open up a credit card :facepalm: not going to take any chances :uhh:

TheDrmcvey
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TheDrmcvey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:21 am

View Original PostArturokun951 wrote:well guess i'll just have open up a credit card :facepalm: not going to take any chances :uhh:

Pierce that wallet with your drill!!!! :devil:
Eva Rebirth

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:53 pm

I've heard from a reliable source that there already plans for rips, but I just hope whenever a Stateside release gets here, the DVD and BD boxes will remain as untouched as possible. (You hear me, Funi/VIZ/etc?)

By the way, svenge, I wanted to read up on your site about the BD/DVD box info you added, but the account's been suspended??

shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:19 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I've heard from a reliable source that there already plans for rips, but I just hope whenever a Stateside release gets here, the DVD and BD boxes will remain as untouched as possible. (You hear me, Funi/VIZ/etc?)

By the way, svenge, I wanted to read up on your site about the BD/DVD box info you added, but the account's been suspended??

Oh good, because I plunked down the ridiculous $250 or so on the Blu-ray Box from Amazon.co.jp but honestly I would like to see the content from the Archives Box but I don't really want to spend another $150 or so on SD discs just for curiosity, ya know? I feel like I'm already supporting whomever it is (Gainax/khara/King Records) quite a bit with that $250 already.

And yeah, svenge I hope everythings okay! I love your site! Such an excellent resource!

GoatJesus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoatJesus » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:44 pm

I sincerely hope when it comes state side (if ever,) Khara will produce their own subtitles for it. They obviously have someone competent who's been working on Animator Expo and I'm really sick of people calling me out with using the original manga ent. subs (which apparently aren't accurate...)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:07 pm

View Original PostGoatJesus wrote:They obviously have someone competent who's been working on Animator Expo

Isn't it just Dan Kanemitsu that translates all things Khara-related? (Animator Expo, Eva New Movie Edition, etc...) But yeah, I preferred the A2000A Renewal Fansubs to Manga Entertainment's for sure. Manga's had tons of errors, despite supposedly (Old rumors, or actually true??) just using the translation by Bochan_bird/M.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:13 pm

View Original PostGoatJesus wrote:They obviously have someone competent who's been working on Animator Expo

Competent, yes-- but it could be better, since there's some nuance in several shorts that I feel could have been captured better in the subtitles without translating the dialogue too literally. Competency is okay, but I would rather exchange it for excellence.

Adaminator1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adaminator1 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:29 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:Actually, that's quite possible.

Back in June 2003 when the "Renewal" set came out, it was sold out relatively soon afterwards. However there were also single-volume releases (which are still in print to this day) announced well in advance and sold soon after the box went on sale, so the only thing that couldn't be easily bought after the box went OOP was the 11th bonus disc. Below is the schedule of the 2003 DVD releases that was announced in December 2002:

Mar 26, 2003: "01 Test-Type" (a disc with just Episode 1 to show the A/V improvement in "Renewal")
Jun 25, 2003: Renewal box set w/ 11th bonus disc
Jul 21, 2003: Volumes 1 & 2
Aug 27, 2003: Volumes 3 & 4
Sep 26, 2003: Volumes 5 & 6
Oct 22, 2003: Volumes 7 & 8
Nov 27, 2003: The Feature Film (i.e. "Revival of Evangelion" in a 2-DVD package)

Eventually there were re-releases of the 11-disc Renewal box set (both a reprinting of the full 2003 box with the fancy "monolith" box and booklets, and a price-reduced "07 Edition" thinpak box with just the discs themselves) but it took a full 4 years (August 2007) for those to happen.

All that said, Khara / King Records have to date made absolutely no announcement regarding any future single-disc Blu-ray releases. As such, it is somewhat plausible that the 2015 Blu-ray box and/or the "Archives of Evangelion" DVD box may be in print indefinitely. But I wouldn't postpone buying either one if at all possible. It's always 100% harder for foreigners to buy Japanese media on the secondary market as compared to standard retailers like Amazon Japan and CDJapan.

I concede my earlier posts, then!

However! It's 2015. The landscape has changed, and since Khara is it's own company now instead of just being a part of Gainax, I'd imagine the situations aren't comparable. It would be a really bad financial move to not keep this in print for a few years to give Khara more funds for it's productions. For those reasons, I'd presume they'd keep it out for a longer time.

Are the Rebuild BD's still in print? Have they ever been out of print for a long period of time?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:30 am

I'm unemployed, I have no space for any new stuff, and I don't have a BD drive anyway. The timing on these box sets couldn't be much worse for me. Sucks being a hardcore fan of 15 years and knowing that the right decision is to totally forget about owning the shiny new thing for the foreseeable future.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”