Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:18 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Doesn't Sentai have bad luck releasing shows? I read a lot about defected dvd/blu, audio issues and
recalls from them.

I only have two Sentai Filmworks Blu-ray releases (Angel Beats and Nadia), and I haven't watched through them all just yet. I can’t say from personal experience that their DVD/BD discs are poorly made, but the discs I’ve played so far have no technical issues.

I do know, however, that Janice Williams is the disc coordinator for both Sentai Filmworks releases and ADV’s past releases on both DVD and Blu-ray. If there is an issue from Sentai Filmworks disc releases, then it’s coming (in part, anyway) from the same folks who brought you U.S. Nadia and NGE DVDs to begin with. (Or, at least it’s coming from one of the manufacturers they selected to construct and mass-print the discs.)

EDIT: Janice Williams is also the media coordinator for Maiden Japan releases. I have their Patlabor OVAs and Season 1 of the show. I’ve had no technical issues with those either. If there is a technical issue unique to a percentage of Sentai Filmworks discs, then it could just be through which ever company they’ve selected for mass-prodction of the discs.

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:54 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:will a dvd duplicate counterpart be released for these sets or will it JUST be blu ray?

None announced and my guess is no, there already exists a remastered DVD set, unless they'll do a re-release.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:38 pm

View Original Postvito wrote:None announced and my guess is no, there already exists a remastered DVD set, unless they'll do a re-release.

And remeber that improving Renewal's quality would be a very difficult task
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:55 pm

View Original Postvito wrote:None announced and my guess is no, there already exists a remastered DVD set, unless they'll do a re-release.

but i don't think EOE has gotten a proper remastered widespread dvd edtion has it?
it was not apart of the platinum collection.
:sniffle:

the cheapest EOE is on amazon is $139 dollars :cringe:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:12 pm

EoE was part of the Japanese Renewal set; it was only the English-speaking countries that have lost out, because a different company had the licence (at least, both French and Italian releases based on it have appeared in the past few years - I have the Italian one).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:18 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I have the Italian one.

...the one which includes the infamous "MAGOKORO WO KINI NI" DVD label? :lol:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:34 pm

No; mine's correct (the DVD directories are dated Nov 2009, so presumably it was released sometime in 2010).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm

I own the ltd. edition platinum holiday special, and it's worked just fine for me. This set, though, will make a nice addition to my animu collection.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:24 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Now, I would absolutely love for NGE to be picked up by one of ADV’s other companies, because they at at least spend their time making a better product.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Noone in the west, especially Funi can be trusted not to fuck it up even if Japan gives them good masters.

But.. Funi dub good.. ADV dub bad..

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:25 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:No; mine's correct (the DVD directories are dated Nov 2009, so presumably it was released sometime in 2010).

The very first edition even had the "DEATH (TRUE)^2" / "MAGOKORO WO KINI NI" labels switched around! Fortunately, they released a replacement shortly after.

Fun fact: if you take a look at the DVD authoring info, you'll see that it was authored by our own mp3dom! He also worked on Dynit's Rebuild releases (and, I believe, on their Platinum release). Feel free to ask him any technical question on the original masters or the encoding process.

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:34 am

Put spike spencer's end of the series rant on these please
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:05 pm

View Original PostEvangelionGodMode wrote:Put spike spencer's end of the series rant on these please

It's the Japanese release. I swear half this thread is wanking over the shitty dub and who will release the set for 50 cents in US, possible all crammed on a single disc.

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Butthurt much^
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:00 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Funimation ... always cheap out on the number of discs, cram as many episodes on each one as they can and the video quality suffers.

Funimation will put 8-9 episodes per 50gb blu-ray disc. This is an amount the media can handle. It is not inappropriate for them to do this. Video quality does not necessarily suffer from this as long as the encoding is done properly. Could you cite some specific examples of how their 8-9 episodes per disc has yielded subpar products?

Their Cowboy Bebop BD release has only half the bitrate of the Japanese discs.

You can't comment on Funi's Cowboy Bebop release. It isn't even out yet. Just because it's half the bitrate doesn't mean it will look like shit. Funi's release will be progressive while the Japanese release was interlaced. The Japanese release may not be better just because they had less episodes on each disc.

The one and only hope for a good quality release of Eva is straight from Japan. Noone in the west, especially Funi can be trusted not to fuck it up even if Japan gives them good masters.

Now you are saying that Japanese releases are the best just because they come from Japan. There are companies that put out excellent work in the West. Nozomi is a prime example. Sure, they do not do blu-ray releases, but if they did, they would probably put out something excellent.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The only reason why I stated that Funi should probably get the show is simply because they have a better chance at keeping the release rights to the show for the longest.

Funi has the most cashflow, so it is most likely they would get it. Another licensor could surprise us, though.

Now, I would absolutely love for NGE to be picked up by one of ADV’s other companies, because they at at least spend their time making a better product. And if they can prove that they’re better at keeping an honest business running and therefore maintaining the rights to whatever show they pick up, then they should also get NGE.

At its height, ADV did certainly put out some detailed, quality releases. Their Excel Saga release was one of the industry's finest. Sentai, however, is not ADV in its heyday. Sentai typically rushes releases out the door as quickly as possible. I have read that several of their releases contained typos or mistranslations. They are also experimenting with putting 12 episodes on a blu-ray disc, which is considered more than the media can handle while maintaining good quality. Now, Sentai did finally put out a premium edition of Highschool of the Dead, their all-time best seller on blu-ray. If they got Evangelion, they would most likely do a premium edition, and one would hope they would spend more time into doing it well. However, given their release history, there is no indication they would do so.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:14 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Funimation will put 8-9 episodes per 50gb blu-ray disc. This is an amount the media can handle.

What the media can handle depends entirely on the material. Some require more bitrate, some less. You can easily shove 50 episodes of a super clean and simple show on a disc.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:It is not inappropriate for them to do this. Video quality does not necessarily suffer from this as long as the encoding is done properly.

"as long as"

Japan encodes anime like Hollywood encodes their movies: 35+Mbps video bitrate regardless of whether the material needs it or not. This usually results in 7.5-8GB per 25min episode. Even in the archive releases of many-episode shows you'll be hard pressed to find more than 6 episodes per disc in Japan. That is what you need for uncompromising quality. Most Japanese companies take care of their anime (VAP is an exception, they spam shitty SD master upscales) and give you the best release possible. The west on the other hand is 100% about cutting corners and costs and fuck them for that.

If you want examples of how western releases usually look worse than Japan look through the various videophile forums. I've given up on the western market long ago so can't be arsed to give examples.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:You can't comment on Funi's Cowboy Bebop release. It isn't even out yet.

Sure we can. We know Japanese release had 7 discs but Funi will only have 4. We know the UK release which is already out was only 4 discs and has only half the bitrate. We also know from basic math that given the running time and the maximum capacity of discs that Funi can not possibly match the bitrate of the Japanese release. In the end the fact remains there is no valid reason for the to reencode anything.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Just because it's half the bitrate doesn't mean it will look like shit.

In Bebop's case, probably not because it's is an extremely clean 35mm anime. You also get lots of leeway with clean digital anime. But grainy 16mm anime (like Eva TV) requires shitloads of bitrate and is extremely sensitive if you start reducing it.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Funi's release will be progressive while the Japanese release was interlaced.

The reason the Japanese Bebop release is 1080i is because the show is a mixture of traditional animation done at 24fps and also CGI and various computer effects that were done in interlaced video at 30fps. This is absolute not a problem for 1080i because on playback every field will be sorted as is required. Forcefully reencoding the whole thing to 1080p might cause issues and in the end a useless endeavor since 1080i works perfectly fine.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Now you are saying that Japanese releases are the best just because they come from Japan.

Japan has the source material, which is what you need to do any proper remastering. With the exception of Funi getting the DBZ film and doing their own, horrible "remastering" everyone else in the West gets whatever Japan gives them already in digital form. There is no reason to fuck around with a master you're already given that has been released as such elsewhere. If you're an encoder for a company in the west and think you can "fix" things then you're an anus. The only people who have the right to define how the anime looks are the original staff.

My personal position is paying for the best quality and paying as few middlemen as possible. If I buy directly from Japan more of my money goes to the actual creative team and not some unrelated people that started a business of purely making money off of other people's work.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:38 pm

I'm not too concerned about NGE. Worst case scenario, we still have our Platinum discs, which are more than adequate. It's an ancient series held together with scotch tape, it doesn't demand a high def transfer.

The real news? EOE IS GETTING REMASTERED! That is where it's at. Everything else is just gravy. Funi (or whoever)'s only real responsibility is porting that over. EoE cries for an adequate North American release, NGE does not.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:01 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:EoE was part of the Japanese Renewal set; it was only the English-speaking countries that have lost out, because a different company had the licence (at least, both French and Italian releases based on it have appeared in the past few years - I have the Italian one).

You can add Spain to the list

Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:25 am

So the upcoming Newtype issue that promised Eva stuff will indeed be about the BD box

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3468.html

EDIT: So this it he 2nd cover that Takeshi Honda does of an Eva girl with an Eva weapon. WHAT COULD IT MEAN!?
Last edited by TMBounty_Hunter on Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:25 am

Asshat :P

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:31 am

It's common sense to not bother rehosting a pic when someone else had :P

I'm mildly annoyed with HLJ. They used to carry Newtype magazines since forever. Apperently starting from 2015 they won't. I have stuff in their private warehouse waiting to ship and I could have easily thrown in this issue with it if they didn't stop carrying them :\

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”