Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:23 pm

I mentioned Sailor Moon stuff back here (maybe it threw people off because I wrote "SM"??): http://forum.evageeks.org/post/766582/Bluray-release-TV-original-movies-Summer-2015/#766582

At the very least, assuming there's a Stateside release, I'd want them to fix the screwups by Mangle's EoE (Lilith/Adam screwup, mistranslation or forgetting important lines by Shinji and Asuka) since ADV's Platinum translation is pretty damn good.

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely happy that the news is a bluray release like I speculated (when NGE was recently re-placed back on the Eva homepage--since originally that site was for the Renewal release, way before the Rebuilds), but I'm also a little nervous if it'll be done right or not.

Also, I am worried about the price for the Japanese release (whether or not we get something stateside). Japanese imports are pricey (explanation here for those who missed it), and previous NGE + Death/EoE (DVD) Renewal boxsets roughly cost anywhere from $250 to $350. :faint: So yeah. (Sauce: http://svenge.pcriot.com/evasite/jprenew/jprenew.htm )
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:28 pm

I keep forgetting Manga Ent had an English dub. I’m not sure how I could have, since it gave us the marvelous gift of Gangtah Hyuga.

But yeah, D&R and EoE at least should be re-dubbed.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:45 pm

D'oh, I forgot this in my previous post. Getting the original Death and OA 21-24 will be exciting, but how won't it be a copy/paste ala https://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_22_OA_vs._DC like on Platinum or Renewal and still look good? :huh: The same footage was copy/pasted into OA from DC, just minus the new cuts (to put another way: "NOTE: As usual for the Renewal OA episodes, very little of the actual OA footage remains intact; in most cases, it is replaced with the revised DC equivalents (exceptions will be noted below).")

Of course, Rebirth proper is way different from 25', too (mainly audio).

I'm sure they know what they're doing and Anno has the copyright all to his studio for a reason (Eva's his baby) but still.

Edit: Hah! I forgot about this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4418149#4418149 ( http://svenge.pcriot.com/evasite/jpvhs/KIVA261.htm and http://svenge.pcriot.com/evasite/jpvhs/KIVA311.htm for the unaware.)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:58 pm

Something tells me the Japanese BD is gonna be a great black & red boxset that will look perfect right next to my Japanese imports of the first 3 Rebuilds. Gonna have to buy!

As for a redub - personally I don't care cause I'd probably never listen to it even once - but if Funimation wanted to unify this new era of Evangelion with the same cast across the TV series & all the films I imagine it wouldn't take long to do new dubs for NGE & EOE.

Man. I love being an Evangelion fan!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Hell, I'd buy it even if it doesn't get an English release. I'll put that future degree in Japanese language to good use! :lol:

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Psst, Funimation....the ball is in your court now. Do you want my money or don't you?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Since i already own evangelion and my wallet is already going to be running dry i don't think i will import this time..........so might either have to wait for english or pirate (Yar har fiddle dee dee).
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:33 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Also, I am worried about the price for the Japanese release (whether or not we get something stateside). Japanese imports are pricey (explanation here for those who missed it), and previous NGE + Death/EoE (DVD) Renewal boxsets roughly cost anywhere from $250 to $350. :faint: So yeah. (Sauce: http://svenge.pcriot.com/evasite/jprenew/jprenew.htm )

Here's the approximate cost in US dollars for the following Japanese box sets, based on then-current exchange rates:

2000/1 pre-Renewal "Second Impact Box" parts 1-3: $190 each ($570 total)
2003 "Monolith" Renewal box set - $350
2007 "NTV" Renewal box set - $300
2007 "Thinpack" Renewal box set - $250

Of course there's been 7 years of inflation and the JPY/USD exchange rate has fluctuated quite a bit since the last major Evangelion box set release, so there's only so much the past can inform current pricing speculation.

That said, my prediction is that the Blu-ray box will be similarly priced (in terms of nominal JPY) to the 2003 Renewal DVD boxset at ¥45,000 (or $380 currently) with the "Archives of Evangelion" DVD box priced at about ¥30,000 (or $255 currently).
Last edited by svenge on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:35 pm

For all of the content that we'd be getting in the collection, I'd say that amount of money would be worth it.

TonyTH
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TonyTH » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:48 pm

I know Khara is being a pain in the ass about the translation for Rebuild 3.33, buuuut ADV worked really close with Gainax to make the translation as good as the could. Say what you will about the dub, and I'm sure there are a couple botches in translation in the Platinum set, but it was mostly done fairly well. So if they want to redub it, all they would need to do really is get the scripts(Or I guess transcribe them if they don't exist anymore) from the ADV dub and they'd probably have a much easier time.

I wouldn't mind a redub all together. I'd prefer having both tracks on there, like Akira. But I'll take either if just for the remastered footage.

Hyped as you all are. Hope we hear something for stateside at some point.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Well, can't say I'm waaay excited... Specially if it's another product we'll never see this side of the world, I'll have to wait and see how stuff unfolds in the coming months before flippin'...

I'd really like to put some chips in the "new NGE dub", but I won't... Seems like too much to do, and the "you can have my fanmoney" justification doesn't really seem to work on most companies... Or at least that's my perception... Maybe I'm too pessimistic about it, but don't take me wrong! If the best case scenario turns out true I know on what I'll be using my scholarship cash on :lol:

Also, From what medium exactly can a 1995 Tv series be ported into BR-HD?
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:30 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Also, From what medium exactly can a 1995 Tv series be ported into BR-HD?

Considering that Evangelion was a cel-drawn anime, the original negatives can be scanned like any other motion picture. Even 16mm film has enough image detail for a 2K resolution master.

Ironically it's actually much worse for digitally-created TV series that came out just a few years later (beginning in about 2000 and up to the latter part of that decade when anime rendered in high definition became more common). Since they were originally rendered in 480p, there's absolutely nothing that can be done for them on Blu-ray other than a mere upscale.
Last edited by svenge on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:31 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Also, From what medium exactly can a 1995 Tv series be ported into BR-HD?

It won't be on the 16:9 scale that HD is typically on, because NGE was shot with 16 mm film and therefore cannot achieve the correct aspect ratio for 16:9, however if they do a brand new HD telecine from teh original film stocks, it will still bump up the quality because they won't have to use video as an intermediate. Look how good the Nadia blu-ray footage looks compared to the original release.

EoE in HD is what I'm REALLY pumped for.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:34 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:
EoE in HD is what I'm REALLY pumped for.

Watching THAT scene in HD :um:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:36 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Watching THAT scene in HD :um:

That's what my hand will look like after I watch instrumentality in HD.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:36 pm

Well, derp. :doh: I didn't skim the whole thread yet, but folks are aware there's gonna be 2 sets, right? I didn't realize the On Air box was separate (and DVD only) from the Bluray box!

That said, I'm just gonna get the Bluray (most likely stateside), of course. Need something to go along with my NTE blurays!

Here's the breakdown:

Quick translation wrote:Neon Genesis Evangelion Bluray Box

Neon Genesis Evangelion - HD Master

All 26 TV Episodes + Video Version (DC 21'-24').

Evangelion - Death & Rebirth - HD Master

Death (1st Cut) + Rebirth.

The End of Evangelion - HD Master

Revival of Evangelion - HD Master

Death(True)^2 and The End of Evangelion.

DVD Box Archives of Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion - TV air version

All 26 TV Episodes. (The first cut of the version that aired on TV.)

Evangelion Death and Rebirth - TV air version

Death(True) (1st Cut) + Rebirth.

Hope that helps for folks that were brainfarting like yours truly. :sweatdrop:

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:37 pm

"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:38 pm

The question is why would anyone by the Archive set at this point?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Because goddammit, we are Evangelion fans and can masturbate in HD as much as we want.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Why wait when you can just jack off in your hand and make a gif with your iphone. That's how crisp it will look.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”