Rebuild's Operatic pieces as a soundtrack to Paradise Lost

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Angel of Will
Sachiel
Sachiel

Rebuild's Operatic pieces as a soundtrack to Paradise Lost

•      
  •      

Postby Angel of Will » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:53 pm

(This topic is concerning the origin/meaning behind much of Rebuild's English soundtrack, so I put it here. Otherwise, it might be switched to Completely and Utterly Off-topic, or alternatively, Off-the-Wall Theories.)

I was thinking the other day what kind of music would work well as a soundtrack to a Paradise Lost animated feature (as an Illustration student, I enjoy visually bringing stories I read to life in my imagination.) This thought experiment was most put to work in the following passage, when God arms his son and sends him to expel Satan and his army of rebel angels:

"Go then, thou Mightiest, in they Father's might.
Ascend my chariot. Guide the rapid wheels
That shake heaven's basis. Bring forth all my war,
My bow and thunder. My almighty arms
Gird on, and sword upon thy puissant thigh.
Pursue these sons of darkness, drive them out
From all heaven's bounds into the utter deep.
There let them learn, as likes them, to despise
God, and Messiah, his anointed King."

After seriously considering 4Kid's Winged Dragon of Ra theme among some more classical sinister&epic themes, my mind turned to 3.0's "Ultimate Solder". Well now, I finally played it and liked the sound, but I was reminded that all of the operatic pieces of Rebuild were not particularly about Evangelion, and so curious to fully remember, looked up the lyrics to all of them. Through this, a hypothesis dawned on me that theses songs were specifically written with Paradise Lost in mind.

"Dark defender...

Engines on, feel the noise
Feel the heat, power surge
In the air, soaring in
To the skies, Sentinel

Nothing compares
Power with grace and beauty on high

Up in the clouds
Hear the majestic thunder rain down

Watcher of all sheltering from all danger
We perceive there could be metal machine
Guardian of our right to harmony that we seek."

On the other hand, Betrayal could be written for Lucifer, and Ultimate Soldier as well.

I am weary that Confirmation Bias is at play. But I might still be right! Opinions from people who are also familiar with Paradise Lost are bid.
Last edited by Angel of Will on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Reality exists in a place unknown, and dreams exist within reality. And Truth lies in your heart."

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:22 pm

To me, it seems that the principal piece in the 3.0 soundtrack is the piece which plays as Shinji and Kaworu descend to Central-Dogma (It's the same piece throughout)

Return to ash Lyrics  SPOILER: Show

Time stands still as battle worn
Beneath your feet the blood runs cold
No one moves
Death,wasteland, razed to the ground, gone, perished what life there was
And ghostly in the darkness, there cast a shadow, mirroring madness
Echoes the work of the devil
The death and destruction
The symbol of hades
The heat and the hatred
The breakdown of life
Leaves us sorrow and strife
And we all will return to the ash

I'm not familiar with Paradise Lost beyond it's reputation. I'd be surprised if there was a direct connection, but since I believe the 3.0 soundtrack was produced in London, there might be influences from the british musical tradition here.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Angel of Will
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Angel of Will » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:30 pm

'Return to Ash' is a phrase used often in the latter end Paradise Lost, to signify Man's punishment for sinning.

There was also an act when Michael brought Adam to a vision to show the future repercussions of his sin. I think one of them was a razed battle-field showing the after-math of war.
"Reality exists in a place unknown, and dreams exist within reality. And Truth lies in your heart."

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”