Last Eva Manga Volume Features New Character

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:40 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
Lol at the image of Shinji! :lol:

Again? Seriously? Have a heart people! :facepalm:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:04 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Again? Seriously? Have a heart people! :facepalm:

He's a cartoon character, man, not a real person. Take it easy.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:28 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Again? Seriously? Have a heart people! :facepalm:

Chill. Out.
Seriously.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:32 am

SPOILER: Show
And in one go Mari being called "four-eyed favorite" and "problem child" suddenly make sense.

Spoiler tags marked. -Staff

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:05 pm

What Mary Sue?! Seriously where in that chapter You-Know-You (btw, the current politic is to put the identity of the character in spoilers) acted like a Mary Sue?

Mari arrived in the university by skipping two years, okay, that's still less impressive than Asuka who got a degree at freaking 14. Then she get to meet Yui and is baffled by how much of a dork she's, but in the end is still admiring of that woman that's far more intelligent than her.

And that's it, nothing more, nothing less.
It didn't turned out that Mari was the true mastermind behind Yui's plan of deification, or that Mari influenced the plot in any way. It's just a story revealing that 20 years ago, Yui met a smart girl called Mari and they became friend, and that's it.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:42 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:This chapter seemed to really do nothing but tease fans about the implications of [...] and provide fanservice for interesting, yet utterly plot unimportant moments.

It was a free extra alongside a completed story. What more did you expect of it?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:49 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It was a free extra alongside a completed story. What more did you expect of it?

I wasn't really expecting anything. The hyperbolic nature of my post was supposed to make fun of that.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:57 pm

There's no universal rule that determines how what you see in the show and other official material defines the fanon -- there are people who deny NanoFate despite the fact that they share a bed, adopt a child together, and the support material drops very heavy hints.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

skulkidcachi90
Adam

split-merge Extra Stage

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:34 pm

Start of a split/merge from the Volume 14 thread. - SSD

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Oh yeah, about that aspect, I was meaning to reply yesterday!

Extra Stage--Seriously  SPOILER: Show
A native Japanese Twitter friend told me that Manga Version Mari's admiration for Yui could possibly be some feelings of love. She seems a little jealous of Gendo.

The thing that messed me up (seriously! :sweatdrop: ) with straight-up calling it "love" is because there are so many different forms: Unrequited, Crushes/infatuations, romantic, love for a family member, etc etc. Having read the English scanlation (Japanese raws anywhere??), for sure, Mari has a mixture of teenage crush and admiration for Yui--because she's only 16, calling it love (which my mind goes to the sense of "real deal love") just feels like a misnomer to me. Hope that finally clarifies this discussion on my end! :lol:

Like anything else in Eva, it's probably a combination of things: Mari could partly be crushing and admiring Yui (like anime/manga Asuka towards Kaji) because her own family life is screwed up. Or maybe it happened naturally if she's as "well adjusted" as her NTE counterpart (lulz). Who knows, for sure--since all this is part of the manga canon only, anyway. heh.

seriously what is the Problem of
Mari being Lesbian for Yui

The Argentinian Version of the Manga said than
Mari have an Romantic Love for Yui

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Nothing's "the problem" with it per say. It was more:

Extra Stage  SPOILER: Show
Not having the original Japanese scans--or native language context--at our disposal, it was hard to tell if the context of manga-Mari liking Yui was a teenage crush (Asuka to Kaji), or simply junior-to-senior admiration (Maya towards Ritsuko, but romance too). Eva being Eva, it's clearly a mix of both.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:27 am

View Original Postskulkidcachi90 wrote:seriously what is the Problem of
Mari being Lesbian for Yui

The Argentinian Version of the Manga said than
Mari have an Romantic Love for Yui

There is no problem. The thing it's that too many people are obssesed about
Mari being lesbian
that they don't even understand the Japanese context. Thad kind of admiration has been portrayed in thousands of mangas before, blushes included.

Please don't forget spoiler tags! - Staff
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

garfy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby garfy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:11 pm

I did the translation for argentine version, and choosed "te quiero" to express that scene.
In english you have "i love you", both for deep romantic feeling, and for attachment to relatives or friends. In Japanese you have the eternal dilemma of "suki desu", and that's what Mari says. It can be romantic, it can be physical, it can be deep or just an "i don't dislike it".
There's nothing on the scene that could imply physical attraction, I totally discard Mari being lesbian. It's a more affectionate "I love you", something that came from admiration, but not something so deep as to mean giving herself wholly to Yui, as it could be if she said "aishiteiru".
In fact, I think it's the classic senpai-admiration thing, like Maya's, just that Maya's is more dependable, and Mari's aware that she can't get closer to Yui and suffers for it.

I think it's more an issue of admiration, rivalry and pride. Since you can feel Mari is suffering, and being ashamed (when she says "you knew that I liked you, right?"). Like the chat on the bench, Yui is for Mari someone she can't beat, she's supposed to be the enemy, yet, Mari likes her (from admiration), and hates herself for that. Going to England triggers some feelings in her. "okay, you're better than me, yet you're staying here? for him?", Mari doesn't like the idea of "winning" (going to england) without properly beating her enemy, -sort of thing.
"you have so much potential more than me, yet you're sticking with that man?"-ish of feeling is what I sensed when Mari and Gendou passed each other, and her final words finally accepting Mari's happiness.
I also liked when Yui calls her pretty, and Mari says "please don't do that". She's suffering. Like "don't be kind to me, I need to say goodbye to you, don't make it harder".

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:
Not having the original Japanese scans--or native language context--at our disposal, it was hard to tell if the context of manga-Mari liking Yui was a teenage crush (Asuka to Kaji), or simply junior-to-senior admiration (Maya towards Ritsuko, but romance too). Eva being Eva, it's clearly a mix of both.

I can write you the original script, just place them on any scan (starting from where yui finds her glasses):

Yui: なくして困ってたのよ
Yui: どうして   あなたのカバンに…
Mari: 憎らしいんですよ
Mari: 先輩
Mari: きれいでかわいい所も
Mari: 頭脳明晰な所も
Mari: 優しすぎる所も
Mari: ちょっと抜けてる所なんかも
Mari: すべてが
Mari: 憎らしい

Mari: あたしの気持ちに気づいても
Mari: そうやって態度が変わらない所も
Mari: わかっちゃったんでしょ
Mari: あたしが
Mari: あなたを   好きってこと

Yui: 座って
Yui: 髪の毛
Yui: 直してあげる

Mari: ごめんなさい
Mari: 憎らしいなんて言って
Mari: あたし
Mari: 留学するんです   来月からイギリスに

Yui: そう…
Yui: メガネ
Yui: 欲しいんならあげるわよ
Yui: あなたには度が合わないと思うけど

Yui: ふふ
Yui: できた
Yui: かわいい
Mari: やめて下さい

Yui: 女子高生みたい
Mari: 当たり前でしょ
Mari: 16歳なんだから
Mari: 先輩
Mari: あたし
Mari: ゲンドウくんとの幸せを願ってますよ

Mari: 遠い空の向こうから
Yui: うん…
Yui: ありがとう
Yui: 真希波…   マリさん
No signature

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:47 pm

This thread's had a good number of days to cool down, so let's try this again--with the bickering purged. (Apologies if civil posts were misfired in the process.)

If people can't talk about their point of view without defaulting into RAGE mode; best to not bother posting at all.

Remember to SPOILER TAG for people waiting on the Extra Stage in their respective countries!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Volume 14 finally purchased yesterday

After reading again, I think the same : Sadamoto is a shitty writer. 3rd Impact feels rushed and it has no sense if you haven't watched EOE. It feels like a bad copy of the original. And Kaji's apparition to Asuka..... :facepalm: It came to mind what I thought the first time : Sadamoto you asshole, you just have fucked up the character in two pictures. It's fine to have a POV different than Anno's and a different story, but deal with people critics because some choices are stupid.

By the way, I liked the extra stage, a lot. I expected Mari being Shinji and Asuka's classmate but Sadamoto chose to be their mothers??? classmate. oH, I forgot, in Spain her words are "I like you"
[/quote]
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:10 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Volume 14 finally purchased yesterday

After reading again, I think the same : Sadamoto is a shitty writer. 3rd Impact feels rushed and it has no sense if you haven't watched EOE. It feels like a bad copy of the original. And Kaji's apparition to Asuka..... :facepalm: It came to mind what I thought the first time : Sadamoto you asshole, you just have fucked up the character in two pictures. It's fine to have a POV different than Anno's and a different story, but deal with people critics because some choices are stupid.

By the way, I liked the extra stage, a lot. I expected Mari being Shinji and Asuka's classmate but Sadamoto chose to be their mothers??? classmate. oH, I forgot, in Spain her words are "I like you"
[/quote]

Yea Sadamoto way to wreck Asuka in Manga. It shows no character development on her part.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:21 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Volume 14 finally purchased yesterday

[/quote]

So in the Spanish Version Mari say "Yo te quiero" and not "yo te amo".
In the Argentine Version say "yo te Quiero" and that in my country is like an "I love you"

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Yui/Mari?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:24 pm

^That is a ship i can get behind
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:09 pm

View Original Postskulkidcachi90 wrote:
So in the Spanish Version Mari say "Yo te quiero" and not "yo te amo".
In the Argentine Version say "yo te Quiero" and that in my country is like an "I love you"

Nopes

in the Spanish Version Mari say "Me gustas" and not "yo te amo".

Which feels less.....dramatical

View Original PostSicarius IV wrote:
Yea Sadamoto way to wreck Asuka in Manga. It shows no character development on her part.

She begins as a spoiled brat, she ends as a spolied brat. NGE : her infatuation is a cover, Sadamanga : a fucking real and childish crush, despite the hints he somehow feels attracted to the main character too. Ridiculous. Her mother would have been the perfect choice.
Last edited by Jäeger on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Regarding translations, unless they were approved by Japan in the sense, they either got notes for lines that could translate differently or asked for clarification, it's just the translator making a guess like we are.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”