Last Eva Manga Volume Features New Character

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Honestly, this Extra Stage makes me want to own U.S. Volume 14--assuming it'll be included! Too bad about the release date being pushed back after all. :sigh:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:37 pm

If some of the speculations on here are true & they somehow were carried into the final Rebuild entry it would make some of my few (very few) issues turn into positives.

Guess I'll have to check this forum for the next few days till scans & translations are up. :)

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:48 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:
Don't read if you're waiting for translation!  SPOILER: Show
    EXTRA STAGE: Summer of Eden
    *The setting is Kyoto in 1998.
    *The story of Yui Ikari meeting Gendo Rokubungi in college is from one female's perspective.
    *The girl is also Professor Fuyutsuki's student. She entered at 16 years old, skipping 2 grades to enter.
    *The girl's studying aboard from England as a special research student.
    *She received glasses as good will from Yui.
    *Yui gave her a twin tails hairstyle.
    *(The girl) refers to Yui as "Yui-sensei" and Gendo as "Gendo-kun".
    *The girl's name is "Mari Makinami".

:bigeyes: :cringe: :bigeyes:

...Welp.

Eva Fan goes onto say how this ties into Eva: Q with Mari knowing "Rei's original" (Yui) and referring to Gendo with "-kun". So he lists a theory that Mari is of the same generation as Shinji's parents:

*The "Curse of Eva" makes it hard to understand characters' real ages.
    *Fuyutsuki's photo from the old days has a glasses-wearing woman in Mari's likeness photographed.
    *She knows the original (Yui), hence her remark to tentative Rei Ayanami.
    *Calling Gendo Ikari as "Gendo-kun".
    *Eva's "Backdoor Code" is known, because she's an Eva researcher.
    *She sings old popular songs from the Showa era because she was born in the Showa era.

:scanners_head:

BUT he then mentions the point how Yui's original surname in NGE was "Ikari" while in NTE it's "Ayanami", so the manga and NTE aren't necessarily linked. And how it's for now, back to waiting for Eva: FINAL.

Either Mari really is a slider, or this is an extra stage that's just for the fun of it! :lol:

:gendo_kimura:

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Interesting.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

garfy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby garfy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:44 pm

I personally liked the extra stage, the story ended fine, so I didn't want anything extra.
A flashback is just perfect for this, obviously, this raises a timeline problem. My thoughts are:

SPOILER: Show
Liked to know how Yui met Gendo, and how Gendo was treated at the campus.
I really loved the scene were Mari tells Yui how much she admires her, and Yui gift her glasses.

In part, I don't totally know for sure if Mari is in love with Gendo, or just sad/jealous at him for how Yui looks after him (probably the latter).

Mari having 16 at that point makes no sense, but since the story made an opening for loops and alternative worlds, maybe that was the original Mari, who just happen to be in a different time in the Rebuild loop.

Since this opens a new world of Mari x Yui, it will be interesting to pay more attention to Mari and Rei, I expect to see something related to this in the last movie.
No signature

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:10 am

The thing about Mari is that she is older than 2I, which is really fucking weird considering the only people capable of piloting Eva are the Children born after it. I'm thinking some weird ass time travel shit is involved.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:45 am

Well...

Using the Haruhi example, isn't that what being a slider is all about? :wink:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:04 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Well...

Using the Haruhi example, isn't that what being a slider is all about? :wink:

Kinda, but that would mean she's not from the Manga Universe either considering she's still older than 2I. I have so many ideas running through my head, I can't just pick one thing I like.

Maybe she originates from a Universe that came before ANIMA? I mean she's a little kid there so it would be logical. Why would she be sliding though? It can't be as simple as her trying to help Shinji and Asuka across the timeloops.
[/spoiler]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:14 am

Are people forgetting the
Makinami Series?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:17 am

^
Mari has her own series? :bigeyes:

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:38 am

Seriously???:cringe:

Sadamanga it's just an independent work, that is how it began, that is how it ended. This chapter only tells us that Mari exists in the continuity, just that. It's feels shoehanded because it was made with Rebuild in mind, because it doesn'd anything to the manga story. The same way Sadamanga gave us Kaji's background, which can be accepted because it doesn´t clash with Anno's canon. This new info just confirms what everybody suspected. A hint, that is all. Who knows what happened for her after 1998, but you can be sure it's not rebuild.

IMO, dimension/time traveler theories are..... :facepalm: i cannot wait to see a Delorean :lol: I supose if supporters are taking even Anima in account they'll do the same with Petit Eva. Or SD deserves less respect than chibi Neko Mari??
Last edited by Jäeger on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:41 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:
The thing about Mari is that she is older than 2I, which is really fucking weird considering the only people capable of piloting Eva are the Children born after it. I'm thinking some weird ass time travel shit is involved.
Hasn't it already been established that this doesn't hold in Rebuild anyway? One of many things that can no longer be assumed...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:52 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
Hasn't it already been established that this doesn't hold in Rebuild anyway? One of many things that can no longer be assumed...

It seems

So logical that all that theories about time and space travelling astonish me. Sadamanga it's an independent work, that's all. It just has gave us a shoehanded hint about Mari's origins. It works in the manga (despite not adding anything), it works for rebuild confirming what we suspected. That's all. No way to link both worlds.

Made hundreds of time before in other media and franchises

Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:54 am

I'm just kinda surprised that everyone here needs a debate about how this "fits" with the existing pieces of Evangelion and the ever-shifting nature of "canon." It's a cool story and gives us another angle on a character we already know. If it affects the Rebuilds, cool! If not, why get bothered by it?

Personally, I love it. I hope it applies to the Rebuild films if Mari turns out to be significantly older than even the aged-up Asuka. It gives us an interesting angle on the child soldier/woman-out-of-time characterization that Mari exudes.
AVATAR: Zer0 from Borderlands 2.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:37 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:

That wasn't stated anywhere in the series or the manga, and even if it was, as pwhodges noted,
Rebuild works on a different set of rules, everyone being able to pilot another Eva was already proof of that.

Another detail, unless Mari in the manga uses lenses, she doesn't have any problem with her view, while the Rebuild version can't see shit without them (see when she lands on Shinji in 2.0 and is frantically searching for her glasses)

And to finish, some timeline notes: the chapter take place in 1998, meaning three years before Shinji's birth, and seven years before the Contact Experiment (as Shinji was four when it happened), so assuming that Yui was 27 at the time of the CE as in the series, that means that in the chapter she's 20 years old, and Gendo being 11 years older than Yui (48 at the time of NGE, minus 10 years makes 38 at the time of the CE), that means he's 31 years old in the chapter.
No wonder everyone look at him weirdly, not often do you see an university student in his thirties!

And for the lulz, at the time of the main story of the manga, Mari is supposed to be 33, four years older than Misato. Aaaaaaaand assuming (also for the lulz) that her background in Rebuild is the same than in the mange, that means that by the time of Q, she's 47 years old, meaning barely one year younger than Gendo pre-timeskip!
And now I just put Asuka x Gendo in you mind. :evillaugh:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:59 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:

It never held any water. People assumed you had to be born after 2I to pilot, or to have been in your mother's womb when 2I happened, or other silly things, but that's never been the case. It was always about your familial relationship with the Eva's resident soul. If Yui's father was were still alive he probably could have piloted just as easily as Shinji could have.

In the ENT series . . . who knows? The rules aren't established, and it's possible Anno hasn't even bothered to work them out.

And for once, I agree with Tines -- Ayanami series is a thing, so why not Makinami series? That would explain a lot, actually.
Last edited by Bagheera on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

artesox
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby artesox » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:00 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
Another detail, unless Mari in the manga uses lenses, she doesn't have any problem with her view, while the Rebuild version can't see shit without them (see when she lands on Shinji in 2.0 and is frantically searching for her glasses)

She does uses lenses, she just needed the glasses because she lost them in the mess Yui made. There is a translation here Link

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:20 am

View Original Postartesox wrote:
She does uses lenses, she just needed the glasses because she lost them in the mess Yui made. There is a translation here Link

Thanks for the information! :thumbsup:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:25 am

Sadamoto watched too much Yuri Yuri.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:54 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Thanks for the information! :thumbsup:

I assume that tumbler is just saying Mari is confirmed gay because that's what he/she has decided himself/herself.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”