Manga to release Renewal versions of D&R and EoE (hah!)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:13 pm

I have D&R and EoE from Manga, and I ordered the Japanese Renewal versions off play-asia just earlier today. Totally worth it.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Yeah, but I forgot to mention-- I bought my copies of D&R and EoE like, 2 months ago. :?

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:33 pm

Bout time, is all I have to say.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:28 pm

Did it turn out that the rerelease of Death and Rebirth & EOE wasn't Renewal, but just the release of what they already did? (kimochi warui; whatever, that can be translated various ways so I don't quite care about that as much when I first watched Manga's EoE release. But Misato's line about the Angels and Lilith SHOULD be fixed! :evil:

Why couldn't ADV have gotten a hold of the movies too? Would their translation/etc have been even worse than Mangle's?

(...I ask all this since I eventually want to buy this boxset. I wonder how that mousepad looks?)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:38 pm

If ADV sicced Shoko Ono on the movies, odds are the subtitles would be quite good.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Darius
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:11 pm

Cool! I'm happy to hear of the new releases...But err...Whats gonna be different that the past releases?Ad wasn't there something else caled Renewal? I actually almost bought EoE like yesterday..(not from a store..from amazon)

Oh and..whats better, full screen or widescreen?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:27 pm

Darius wrote:Cool! I'm happy to hear of the new releases...But err...Whats gonna be different that the past releases?Ad wasn't there something else caled Renewal? I actually almost bought EoE like yesterday..(not from a store..from amazon)

If you don't know what "Renewal" is, do a search for "renewal remastered" or suchlike.

Oh and..whats better, full screen or widescreen?

Google knows all. (Remember. It's your friend.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:31 pm

Possibly stupid question: does this mean the Death & Rebirth/EoE boxset Manga released http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009S4J5K/ref=sr_11_1/104-7657074-8858302?ie=UTF8 ISN'T Renewal? (wouldn't surprise me...)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:40 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Possibly stupid question: does this mean the Death & Rebirth/EoE boxset Manga released http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009S4J5K/ref=sr_11_1/104-7657074-8858302?ie=UTF8 ISN'T Renewal? (wouldn't surprise me...)

Most definitely not!
http://www.tesuji.org/images/renewal_rocks_manga_sucks-text.jpg

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:53 pm

Wow, that really sucks. >_< Thanks for letting me know!

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:08 pm

Darius wrote:Oh and..whats better, full screen or widescreen?

That all depends as to what aspect ratio it was shot at.

The Evangelion TV series, for example, whas shot for a full screen aspect ratio (4:3) whilst Death was made for at and aspect ratio of 1.85:2, which makes the image wider. Since Death was mostly footage from the TV series, however, to make the TV footage fit, they cut off the top and the bottom of the image, making it so we lost some of the picture.

However, most "fullscreen" tapes are movies orginally shot at an aspect ratio of 1.85, which means some of the image is cut off.

However, for the footage from End of Eva in the full op, to make the 1.85:1 footage fit with the 4:3 TV series footage, they squeezed the image together.

Also, my theory. At Anime Boston 2006 I asked Dave Williams if there were talks with Mangle about releasing the Renewal cuts of the movies. His response was "I can neither confirm nor deny", which I take to mean, "yes, but we can't legally announce it yet" or something similar. Manga has stated they will be releasing the Renewal cuts, and ADV has pushed back the release of the 10th anniversary edition boxed set, and they still haven't announced what everything in it will be yet...
Interesting I think...

MrPhil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrPhil » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:15 pm

Rejoice! Anamorphic EOE with English subs at last! (even if they do just reuse the shitty mistranslated ones from last time again. "I'm so fucked up" and Lilith being born of Adam indeed Amanda Wynn/Jason Lee :roll:)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:26 pm

Personally, I'd think that if they ARE re-releasing this as the Renewal versions, then prehaps they'll be a brand-new sub as well as dub track? (Hell, according to the extras on one of the Platinum DVDS, ADV went back to fix any screwed up lines or anything that didn't fit, soo... Though why make Shinji say "bullshit" because of the fact he'd never acutally say that is beyond me... :roll: Same with Rei being "vulgar" in the 26 possible world. Not funny. just badly OOC. >_<
Eitherway, there had better be some decent extras, or at least whatever was offered on the Japanese Renewal versions. When I rented EoE I was shocked that it barely had anything on it, espeically after reading some old news about Mangle trying to get all these great things on it. Liars. :roll:
From what I understand, translation-wise "I'm so fucked up" and "How Disgusting" do make sense (as it all depends on how you translate it), I just really hope they'll have the deceny to fix Misato's line about Adam and Lilith or I'll be pissed! :evil:

Question, as my mind's reaching a blank: In the movie, when SEELE mentions "Lilith's only offspring", did they reference JUST Eva Unit 01. or did it imply ALL the Evas are from Lilith?
I'm just wondering because I think according to Wiki it says Eva Unit 01 is from Lilith while the other Evas (00, 02, etc) come from Adam, that right there confuses me to no end... Why wouldn't the Eva Units be from the same Angel to begin with? :?

Manga, use the same "pretty" cover the Japanese Movies DVD boxset used or I'll kill you all!!! :x /End rant (I'm feeling a little crazy at the moment. Pay no mind and just smile & nod.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:58 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Eitherway, there had better be some decent extras, or at least whatever was offered on the Japanese Renewal versions.

Aside from the scripts and some trailers, pretty much nothing.

Manga, use the same "pretty" cover the Japanese Movies DVD boxset used or I'll kill you all!!!

I think the Feature Film cover Sadamoto did is one of his worst.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

MrPhil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrPhil » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:03 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Question, as my mind's reaching a blank: In the movie, when SEELE mentions "Lilith's only offspring", did they reference JUST Eva Unit 01. or did it imply ALL the Evas are from Lilith?
I'm just wondering because I think according to Wiki it says Eva Unit 01 is from Lilith while the other Evas (00, 02, etc) come from Adam, that right there confuses me to no end... Why wouldn't the Eva Units be from the same Angel to begin with? :?
It's just one of the many fan theories from over the years - there is no official definitive answer.

EDIT: This thread is very enlightening - still just fan theories though:-
http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135644

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:52 am

MrPhil wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
It's just one of the many fan theories from over the years - there is no official definitive answer.

EDIT: This thread is very enlightening - still just fan theories though:-
http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135644

I thought it was pretty well-established that Eva-01 was the only one to come from Lilith, the rest were clones of Adam. This is why Unit 01 is treated differently than all the others, why it is central to instrumentality where as the others aren't. Hmmm....
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:38 pm

bp32 wrote:I thought it was pretty well-established that Eva-01 was the only one to come from Lilith, the rest were clones of Adam. This is why Unit 01 is treated differently than all the others, why it is central to instrumentality where as the others aren't. Hmmm....

"Coming from Lilith" and being a "clone of Adam" aren't mutually exclusive.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:34 am

Reichu wrote:
bp32 wrote:I thought it was pretty well-established that Eva-01 was the only one to come from Lilith, the rest were clones of Adam. This is why Unit 01 is treated differently than all the others, why it is central to instrumentality where as the others aren't. Hmmm....

"Coming from Lilith" and being a "clone of Adam" aren't mutually exclusive.

True, and I see where you are going, but that would mean that the only reason for the obsession with Unit 01 was that it held the soul of Yui? It had no significance re:instrumentality?
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:33 am

According to the hypothesis, EVA-01 is a normal Eva (of Adam's genes) born of Lilith's flesh -- i.e., a surrogate daughter. Hence, this bodily tie to Lilith is what allows her to act as a substitute in the 3I ceremony.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:43 pm

Reichu wrote:According to the hypothesis, EVA-01 is a normal Eva (of Adam's genes) born of Lilith's flesh -- i.e., a surrogate daughter. Hence, this bodily tie to Lilith is what allows her to act as a substitute in the 3I ceremony.

Right, which would make Unit 01 "Lilith's only offspring", albeit in a roundabout way.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”