[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:58 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I think they're slightly taller than the Revo/RD scale, Squiggy.

If they were to scale, I'd buy them in a heartbeat - As the Koto kit is probably the best Eva-01 out there bar the RAH (too big and expensive) and RD (OOP, hard to get and painful after-market prices).

Yeah. I'm gonna try and get the RD incarnations of every Eva that has one (Units 01, 02, 03 and 01 Awakening- I already have 00) with the Revoltechs for the ones that don't have RDs (04, 05, 06 etc- I have 08 Alpha and paint aside I love it).

That said, although they're not in scale with RDs or Revos, I've heard the Soul of Chogokin SPEC figures are brilliant (They do a Rebuild version of 01) although for NGE 01 you should get XS-01R, not XS-01, which had some problems with its legs and neck, which the renewal figure fixed. The Bandai model kits are cool too, but the vinyl sleeve does limit arm articulation (though it does give a seamless look). The old SoCs aren't the best articulated but look awesome and are sturdy as hell. Dat candy purple... The Kaiyodo XEBEC figures look great but can't pose for shit and fall apart super easy (although the EoE 02 and MP Eva pre-Revos are supposed to be great, as they're very different from the XEBECs and actually better than the Revos, barring the fragility).
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Gojimatt
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gojimatt » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:07 am

Hmm, Revoltech unit 08b and the mark nine are in the sale over on hobby search, bit surprised by that.
'Do not try to escape earthlings or you'll force us to kill you!'

Karex_Usyrion
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Karex_Usyrion » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:06 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:That might be that then, the photos are very bright, especially the second one, maybe a photo in an less bright environment would produce better pictures.

This is at night, no sunlight, final pic ever. I'm not going to apologize for my AAA Wunder post in this thread because it is an admin's fault it got in here: more of what's wrong with this forum these days. It really should have gone to the main AAA Wunder thread or have its own. I am sorry though since it doesn't belong here with Eva figures and the comments I made are out of reach for this audience. It's ok if you want your packaged 7 inch figures but that's not modelling, Evangelion never had any figures worth even calling models, I know - I did all the Bandai including the supposed `perfect grade'. Evangelion's own fault way I see it giving franchise to Bandai, Kotobukiya with their own properties, you think they are going to make competitor products better than theirs? Different categories or even league and there was I mentioning $4000 USD mechas that stand 31 inches tall along with 1/350 Yamato...nevermind. I'm not often called uninitiated but it was mentioned that there are Qabalah clues indicating the source of the color scheme for the AAA Wunder: namely, an association with Tiphareth :
Color in Atziluth: Clear rose-pink
Briah: Yellow
Yetzirah: Rich salmon-pink
Assiah: Golden Amber

Disregard if gibberish to you please. I mentioned before there was certain intellect at least back around EoE but now there's too many adultchildren watching Evangelion only as a cartoon.

Also happened to see that the same user at difference with the colors posted elsewhere that his monitor has color issues, forgot to mention that I guess.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:38 pm

My wrong colorspace issue doesn't affect my browser.

But even if it was, the shades you've chosen are so far off from the source (and also relative to each other) that it's blatantly obvious.

I hearby demand a formal apology from you for something you do in your own free time for enjoyment. I will judge you over the internets if it is not recieved in a timely manner.

EDIT: Just because, pictures of the original sculptor's painted sample:
http://mrd-3d.com/anime/wunder.html
http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-2753.html
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

tootiredtoriot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tootiredtoriot » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:12 pm

I'd be mad if I had put together a model to sell off to fans and then the fans expressed no interest in purchasing an interpretation greatly different to that of the source material.
well that's good for you then

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Anyway it doesn't change the fact that the proportions of the model are off : the Eva hangars are too big, and everything from the reactor to the tail is too small(the heliport is supposed to be able to fit two curled up Evas, here it looks like it could just barely make fit the remaining head and torso of Unit 02 at the end of the movie.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Karex_Usyrion
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Karex_Usyrion » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:20 am

So which one is it going to be? The booklet or onscreen? Booklet is different. Keep switching for your convenience.

View Original Posttootiredtoriot wrote:I'd be mad if I had put together a model to sell off to fans and then the fans expressed no interest in purchasing an interpretation greatly different to that of the source material.

Comments from tootired: zero dollars and two cents. Replying back it sold already over a week ago: Priceless.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Anyway it doesn't change the fact that the proportions of the model are off : the Eva hangars are too big, and everything from the reactor to the tail is too small(the heliport is supposed to be able to fit two curled up Evas, here it looks like it could just barely make fit the remaining head and torso of Unit 02 at the end of the movie.

The reactor? Really? What are you calling the reactor? What does the reactor do ElMariachi? Does it have some plutonium? There's something called perspective...are you using a ruler or just being bold to see if you're right? Helipad is correctly proportional despite your perception. Length of the tail is few inches off, but it's really better judgment from the makers of the cast because shaped resin would be too fragile if it tapered that much while it still needs a separate end cap. Anyways, take it up with mrd-3d customer service or otherwise browse up some new Kotobukiya Eva figures and keep them laughing all the way to the bank.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:26 am

Both the booklet and the on-screen show how ridiculously off your colors are. Pointing out the slight difference between them does nothing to help your case. It just shows you're unwilling to admit your claim for accuracy is downright insane.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:40 am

View Original PostKarex_Usyrion wrote:I'm not going to apologize for my AAA Wunder post in this thread because it is an admin's fault it got in here: more of what's wrong with this forum these days.

Is it a physical bit of merchandise depicting something from the series and/or films requiring assembly and painting? Then yes, this is exactly where it belongs. Deal with it.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:55 am

@ Karex_Usyrion : I was talking about the exhaustion pipes, not the reactor, sorry.

But the helipad is still too small : even in other photography of the kit taken from above, meaning without plays on the perspective, it's clear that the heliport is too small to fit an Eva on it, and much less two, while the movie showed us that it was possible. Compare the size of the heliport with the two Eva hangars.

The back helm is also too small.

I understand that the tail had to be shortened because it would be too fragile otherwise, but scaling the rest of the rear of the ship with it was a mistake from the creator.

A shame because otherwise it's an excellent work. (Eva hangars being slightly too bulky aside)
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:35 pm

You know, I fancy putting together and painting a garage kit of one of the Eva girls (or boys for that matter, but they're probably rare as fuck). Anyone know where I could find a decent "paint-it-yourself" kit of Rei or Asuka in their plugsuit that isn't an ecchi figure for a reasonable price? I don't mind doing a bit of cleanup work with flash or small air bubbles (I do 40K so I'm used to converting and remodeling figures) but obviously if the sculpt just sucks that won't do.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:27 pm

First question that needs to be asked is whether you have any qualms about buying recasts. Those are cheap and aplenty because whole businesses exist to supply the foreigner demand that the Japanese market does not address.
The original, licensed kits are ususally produced in relatively small numbers due to it being a labor-intensive process, they're sold mostly at events because that's how the small-time sculptors get the IP holder's permission. Because it's very much a niche market it's harder to find original kits. In the west you're basically stuck looking through online forum for-sale sections. Buying from Japan it could be hard to navigate the sites without knowing the language. Most won't ship internationally and you need to use proxy services that charge all sorts of fees. There are some gaijin-friendly places like Mandarake (Click for search results of Eva kits) but things come and go very quickly and the selection can be limited. All of the above is why recasters prosper. Most people would rather get something quick and cheap and not really care they're paying bootleggers who profit from other people's IP and small-time sculptor's work.

Over the years the story I keep hears is that the absolute best way to stock up on original kits is just plan a trip to Japan and raid all the second-hand stores. Awesome vacation and great chances of finding the rarities you've always wanted.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:05 pm

As much as I'd love to visit Japan and go on a treasure trawl through the model stores of Akibahara, at present that isn't possible. Whilst I'd prefer to get an original, and would always buy one if possible, I am willing to resort to recasts simply due to the rarity of original pieces (especially outside Japan). Bootlegging does irk me, and if I can find an original figure for a non-stupid price on Mandarake I'll get it, but when you're dealing with rare kits I'd rather get a recast than not get one at all. The thing that worries me the most about recasts is the quality, as I know that recasts can be absolutely dire (as in, whole pieces warped beyond repair or missing entirely).

TL;DR: I'd rather have a decent recast than not have one at all.

Looked on the link you posted to Mandarake, I've found a few items that look interesting by a variety of manufacturers:

- Some 1/6 scale PVC/sofubi figures by a company called Tsukuda Hobby. I don't know anything about them, but a google search on their other stuff shows their sculpts to be rather...derpy. Their stuff is cheap though.

- A 1/7 scale resin Asuka Test Suit fig by a company called EBO. They seem to do very good stuff, including an action figure. More expensive than the other stuff though, also warns that it may be broken.

- Some old SEGA figures. No real info on them- I didn't even know Sega did models. Probably avoiding.

- A Mana Kirishima figure by, of all companies, Kotobukiya. Unfortunately it looks pretty terrible, which is odd as Kotobukiya's stuff is usually superb.

I'd say the EBO fig looks the best, but it's also the most expensive, and I don't want to screw up a good figure.

Any recommendations from the results you found?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:16 pm

sofubi = soft vinyl = hollow cast kits that are a much bitter headache than solid cast resin. Didn't consider those creeping in when I linked the search results.

As for recommendations....well it's gonna be on your shelf and you're the one that has to be motivated to work on it so I can't even begin to guess what's up your alley

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:27 pm

I'm mostly after a non-ecchi model of Rei or Asuka in their plugsuit. I was going to go for an alternative plugsuit colour scheme just to make them stand out a little (introduce some white to Asuka's suit, maybe some blue to Rei's, or go nuts and change the colours altogether). That aside I'm not hugely picky, my only real criteria are:

- Not massive (no bigger than 1/6).

- Decent sculpting (not asking for H.R. Giger levels of detail, just that it looks good and the face doesn't look like it got hit with a Megaton Hammer).

- Not so intricate/high-end that a minor fuckup could ruin a hugely expensive kit beyond all repair.

- Non-ecchi (and preferably not one of those stupid cut-off buttsuits that are so well known).
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Well, out of the fairly limited Mandarake search results, plus your criteria there's the very cheap kotobukiya kit:

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1075588.html
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-579225.html

Which looks like this:
SPOILER: Show

And there's the K.Piero kit
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-400321.html

Which looks like this:

EDIT: Also missed this Teh Rei, a bit more stylized
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-441541.html

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Hmm. The Kotobukiya kit doesn't look bad, although the K.Piero kit looks better. Might take a gander through E2406 to see what else there is before committing to anything though.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:19 pm

And talking about Wunders...

Bough myself one ^_^
It's the Ichiban Kuji by Banpresto

It obviously has many more details than the Bandai one

They're about the same size:
But the tai is very short:

Not the best one, but it was only 4 bucks so :tongue:
Photoshop will do the rest :lol:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:43 am

To be fair, the Wunder's tail in the movie is so long that the only way to make a figure out of it is either to shorten it or to make it in a single block instead of the ribcage pattern in the movie.

I'm sure that the only reason that thing didn't crumbled under it's own weight prior to receiving EVA-01 was because it was almost completely submerged, after that AT Field magic Hax did the rest!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:59 am

How big are the aforementioned Banpresto and Bandai Wunders?

Also, where can I nab myself the garage kit Karex is posting about?
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”