[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:58 pm

Is it just me, or do the human RAHs have disturbingly thin legs? It works well on Black Rock Shooter (who is meant to be unnerving and utterly inhuman anyway) but on poor Asuka it looks like she's been starved.

Anyway, no pics I'm afraid because my only camera is the crappy thing installed on my PS Vita, but I've just been to Saturday's HyperJapan and picked up a bunch of stuff! Yay! :asuka_happy: :yui_grin:

I picked up 3 Eva figures, the figures in question being...

1: Revoltech Fraulein Asuka Langley Soryhu.

Whilst I was considering getting the Figma off Amazon, they had this little beauty for only £25, so I thought "heck, why not?". I'm not disappointed.

She has a really, really nice finish. The plugsuit is the smooth glossy finish that looks just perfect, and I particularly love the airbrushing work on the hair. One thing I noticed was how much effort had been put into keeping a relatively unbroken feminine form-her shoulders and hips, for example, are done with cut joints and well-hidden Revoltech joints, avoiding obvious joints that would break up her body shape (although her ankes are plain and simple Revoltech joints, which I can forgive as ankle joints are always bitches to do well). Unfortunately her legs are rather unposable due to this, and moving her legs or her arms too far reveals unsightly gaps. They are also easy to pull off, although they are just as easy to put back on.

However, there is something I absolutely love about this figure. It has a certain very dainty and pretty feel to it, reminding me more of a doll than an action figure. She can get some really cute poses and look very natural in them-I like to have her relaxing with her feet in the air, hugging her doll.

Rather bizarrely she comes with a pallet rifle, which doesn't make a great deal of sense. However, it works fine with Revoltech Evangelion figures (more on that later) so no complaints. I would have liked a few different faces (or rather heads) and more hands, but she's quite a cheap figure so it's no biggie. Her doll is very well done, with a good sculpt and a great paintjob. It even has a jointed neck!

The only thing I will say is an outright failure is the stand. It looks absolutely lovely, being a neat little square plinth with her name on it with a very subdued rod with a clasp on the end, attached by Revoltech joints. The clasp fits around her waist perfectly, however the rod is way too long and thus she can't use it without floating off the ground. Worse still, because of her immobile ginger mop you can't put the clasp around her head or neck, which is a shame as it's the perfect height and would offer a good amount of support. I find that Tamashii Stages work much better with her, so when I need to give her a supporting stand I use those.

Overall, I'm really glad I bought her. She's adorable, reasonably poseable and well made. Considering she was made around 2007 she has really stood the test of time.

2: Revoltech Fraulein Rei Ayanami (Bandage Version).

I decided I couldn't have an Asuka without a Rei, and whilst they didn't have the standard version they did have the bandaged version, so I picked her up.

A fairly similar story to Asuka really. Exactly the same articulation (with the exception of one wrist due to the plaster cast on her arm) and equally good build quality. She has the same doll-like feel to her that Asuka has, although I must admit that the bandages make her look quite creepy.

She comes with a purple Lance of Longinus (once again compatible with Revoltech Evangelions and, at a stretch, Robot Damashii Evas) which comes in 2 parts. It feels nicely made, but due to its sheer length and thinness it is probably quite fragile. Handle with care. She also comes with 2 heads; a "normal" version and an "eyes closed" version (presumably or when she's taking a nap).

One nice thing about her is that due to her short bob cut, the stand can support her by the neck and is therefore not totally useless. Hooray!

Once again, a good purchase. Would have preferred the standard version, but a good purchase nonetheless.

I don't know if I'll get the Figma versions of them. Possibly, as both Figmas are in different attire to my Frauleins.

3: Revoltech Evangelion Evolution Unit 08 Alpha.

Well, this one is a mixed bag.

On the one hand, the articulation and build quality is great. Any pose you want, she can pull off. Not quite as good as the RD, but close. Also the joints are wonderfully tight, whereas my RD Unit 00 had slightly loose ball joints which required superglue. I really like the headsculpt and the use of translucent plastic for the eyes.

The accessories are great too. She comes with her re-entry shield, a sniper rifle (I don't know if it's a variant of the positron rifle), the grapple gun for Unit 02, which you can give to 08 if you want, the matching shoulder pylon for 02, and a tonne of hands. Also, the hands are capable of holding the pallet rifle and Lance of Longinus that came with Rei and Asuka. Yay!

The stand is odd. It's a sturdy plastic frame with a bent rod and 2 Revoltech joints, although it can be reduced depending on how you want to pose her. It also has a peg on the base if you want to support her without any actual stand. I like it, but I would have preferred a Figma/Tamashii Stage style base.

My only gripe with the figure is the paint. It is honestly the worst paint I have seen in a high-end action figure. It looks nice, and I actually quite like the glossy finish, and it's nicely applied, but the fpr some reason it's slightly tacky. As a result, this figure gets dirty really quickly. You can clean it off, but the gloss will rub off, leaving it very, very slightly more matte. The dirt is super noticeable thanks to the bright pink. It's also potentially more prone to chipping. I'm considering spraying the figure with matte varnish to protect it, maybe applying gloss back over the top afterwards. It's a shame, because this is a great figure, but this paint is absolutely dreadful. If anyone has any solutions as to how to protect the poor girl from further woes, please do tell me. I have been able to scrub off the dirt witha toothbrush, but it does dull the shine a little (which arguably helps the figure a little)

All in all, great figure, horrible paint. I'd say pick it up if you can, but be mindful of the paint. If you're the type who displays figures in spotless glass cases then it shuldn't be a problem, but if you like to play with your figures then be very careful with her-maybe give her a varnish spray. Fortunately she more or less disassembles into her component parts, so spraying her should be a doddle.

I also got a Black Gold Saw Figma, but she isn't an Eva figure so I shan't go into detail other than she's great. :lol:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

unit450
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby unit450 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:04 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I keep forgetting to ask this:

Anyone have the plugsuit RAH figures? How limiting is the rubber/fabric to the range of motion and how stiff are the joints?

The pleather they use on the plugsuit RAHs isn't real limiting for regular poses someone might think of for the Eva pilots. Think the two that might frustrate is Shinji and Asuka, the suits seem a little thicker than the ones on Rei, Mari, and Kaworu. Though in my experience the let-down limits are the back of the heel on my Asuka can't keep to the back of the thigh, and the waist articulation is limited by the suit for tilting forward/backward; though side to seen can be seen.

The joints are firm on mine, though I'll say I only bring the two down from the shelf for posing/messing around with every 2-3 months lately. Still I'm not worrying something is gonna snap off on the two I have with me. Think the most stiff ones are the swivels for the thighs.

Here are some pics I retook of my Asuka to try and show what the body can keep posed, hope it helps:
SPOILER: Show

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/9gey.jpg/]Image[/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/gntn.jpg/]Image[/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/v5bm.jpg/]Image[/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22/jqq1.jpg/]Image[/URL]

This one just for fun.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/uq1p.jpg/]Image[/URL]

-Edit- For TMBounty_Hunter's post after this, how about something rated G for family friendly instead?
The wait for my RAH Eva Unit-00 just got easier, thanks for the photo suggestion though(will keep it for later)!
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/xdqg.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Last edited by unit450 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rei used Smile.
Shinji, Asuk-You know what? EVERYTHING in existence fainted. Even the Fire Hydrant...
Rei defeated Seele!?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks for the info and pics unit450! That answered the questions I had. :D

PS: The just for fun pic should have been Asuka groping Eva-02
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:01 pm

@unit450:That was sooo cute :lol:

Cute enough to....
Does someone has an Asuka with and angry or happy/angry face that would be kind enough to provide a pic? :hint-hint:

My Eva 13 is at customs, finally, after all the delay she caused :irked:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:15 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:

The new money maker...

:woohoo:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:54 am

Has anyone else got the old Microman Rei and Asuka figures? They seem to be the only poseable versions of the girls in their school uniforms besides the absolutely colossal RAH figures. They look very poseable, but I have heard that Microman figures are very fragile.

Incidentally, they're made by Takara, one of the companies behind Transformers.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:25 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I think it's more of glaive than a lance.

It also used the Heat Lance.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:44 pm

Oh THAT thing.

I keep forgetting about it.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:41 am

More photos of Eva-13 Revo pl0x.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:12 am

I have just received my Eva 13 figure, but it has so many issues that I don't even know where to begin. I'll make a detailed post with pictures a bit later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I am very disappointed in that figure. First, I don't like how shiny it is. On the pictures I post, Eva-01 being mat looks so much better. Some people like it, some other don't. I clearly don't like it.

This figure has so many quality control issues. First, I find it really, really hard to make it stand on both its feet without using the support. The hands pegs are also flat, as a results the hands can fall off easily.

But the worst part is the torso.

4 arms torso: the hole for the peg to connect it to the lower part of the body is too wide. So if I turn the figure upside down, the torso will just fall off.

2 arms torso: the hole for the peg is just too thin. It's physically impossible to peg it to the lower half of the body. I tried everything, the hole is just too small. Also, on that part of the body (and unlike the 4 arms version), the shoulders varnish looks like it hasn't dried. As a result it's very stick, and ends up looking mat because of all the finger prints that stay on it.

So I end up with a figure I can't really articulate without everything falling off here and there, and which doesn't look particularly good for the price I paid. I'm not sure I will keep my preorders of the next figures. In any way, I really won't recommend this figure, it has way too many quality issues coming from a company who used to make excellent figure such has the hokuto no ken ones. Maybe the licence is too expensive and they're trying to save costs, but it's really not worth the price.

edit: It's irritating, the forum won't let me post these pictures, so I'll just copy paste the links instead:

http://uppix.net/b18qI5.jpg
http://uppix.net/6LK6YT.jpg
http://uppix.net/zX5JuS.jpg
http://uppix.net/mavvHP.jpg

edit 2: After some efforts I've finally been able to mount the 2 arms torso. I didn't think it would be possible, but it works. As to why both torso don't have the same holes...

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:15 pm

^ Just got mine and you're right... It has many torso issues, but I didn't have that much problem assembling it...
That and a couple paint mishaps, but nothing serious...
And can't complain about the glossy finish, I like it, but it is kinda sticky...

Editing the video review...

Done! You can see it here

Theron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Theron » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:03 pm

It looks to be a sorta hit or miss with revoltechs lately. My Eva 13 is great except for a little paint mishap on the left arm and a very very tight fit for the revo peg in both torsos.

I think it's just a luck of the draw type of thing. You can either get a ridiculously good one, an alright one, or a horrible one. Revos are just like that, unfortunately.

I'd say go for it if you want the only poseable Eva 13 out there (and it looks like it's gonna be the only one for quite some time). It's all up to if you want to chance it with "Revo Luck" xD
WHERE IS MY UNIT 13 BANDAI

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:46 pm

I recall someone mentioning that the Spears of Evangelion 13 are an inch longer... Not true...

A comparison:

From left to right: Revo #26FS, MP Evangelion (repainted by me); Revo #118, MP Eva re-run; LE EvaEvo Unit 04 and Evangelion 13's

Also, week post with some Eva 13...

Theron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Theron » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:43 pm

The guy who thought 13's was longer was me xD I only have the Fraulien Rei, and was always under the assumption that they used her spear sculpt for the others. I stand corrected :lol:

What's everyones thought on the possibility of a RAH NEO/Koto kit of Eva 13? I'm sure Koto can do it, I'm just trying to figure out how RAH NEO would tackle the two arms/four arms dealio.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:46 pm

View Original PostTheron wrote:The guy who thought 13's was longer was me xD I only have the Fraulien Rei, and was always under the assumption that they used her spear sculpt for the others. I stand corrected :lol:

What's everyones thought on the possibility of a RAH NEO/Koto kit of Eva 13? I'm sure Koto can do it, I'm just trying to figure out how RAH NEO would tackle the two arms/four arms dealio.

Probably by releasing 2 separate figures, 1 with 2 arms and the other with 4 arms.

Also, speaking of Lances, am I the only one who thought the choice to put a purple Lance with the bandaged Fraulein Rei was a bit odd? The Lance was never purple in the show-even the replica Lances that the Mass Production Evangelions carry were grey.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Theron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Theron » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:59 pm

I suppose I can see Medicom making the two-arm version of 13 regular release, with 4 arms being an exclusive or some other stuff like that. Hopefully not, cause I want both versions xD

unit450
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby unit450 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Got my RAH Eva Unit-00 today! A few pics of the box for now, think I'll save opening it for later in the morning.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/8c06.jpg/]Image[/URL]

-Edit- Just adding in a tray pic, though will mention it's a bare bones exclusive. Not really a deal breaker for me since I hardly ever used the N2 Missile/bandage parts with my RD Eva-00, and it would've just jacked up the price at that scale.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/d9g7.jpg/]Image[/URL]

View Original PostTheron wrote:What's everyone's thoughts on the possibility of a RAH Neo/Koto kit of Eva 13? I'm sure Koto can do it, I'm just trying to figure out how RAH Neo would tackle the two arms/four arms dealio.

Koto I can see making a Eva 13, although a long time from now; maybe announcing it late in the fall if were lucky?
Medicom I can see them taking a shot at a RAH Neo for Eva 13 as well, but I think it'd be the two-armed version just; as well as an floor/web exclusive for the next Winter WonFes. Think we'd have to cross our fingers they design it so that you can switch out parts, from a set of add-ons you can buy separately.
Last edited by unit450 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rei used Smile.
Shinji, Asuk-You know what? EVERYTHING in existence fainted. Even the Fire Hydrant...
Rei defeated Seele!?

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:42 pm

View Original Postunit450 wrote:Got my RAH Eva Unit-00 today! A few pics of the box for now, think I'll save opening it for later in the morning.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/8c06.jpg/][/URL]

LOVE THE Unit-00

I got my RAY Eva Unit-01 last Thursday, ironically enough :)

Here are some of the pictures:

Now for a actual rating...

PROS
Figure is very accurate, and downright GORGEOUS.
Very flexible - you get full articulation in pretty much every major joint... fingers being the only real thing you don't get motion in... understandably.
Abdomen is like a bean-bag, not a single joint, but has fluid movement.
Colored well, very vibrant. Full color through out... even the little entry plug (which I didn't get a picture of)
Packaging was superb. Every little piece has a home location making it very easy to store and swap. Double boxed, and locked in place with plastic overlays on BOTH inserts.

CONS
While there are very few, some still exist-
The arms and hands don't fit as tight into the sockets as I would like them too... Getting it into the crouched gun-stance position was a pain right in the ass... I'd adjust the right hand, get it into position, then move the left arm and it would pop off... then, I'd get the left arm set, and the right HAND would pop off. I almost went Berserk, pun fully intended.
While the stand is substantial, the positioning pole allows for too much movement. It is incapable of holding even 50% of the weight of the figure... I was originally going to shoot for the running position, and this just wasn't happening. Perhaps my pole was a little worn out (again, puns), but I felt like it should have had something to lock it in place a little better. The stand could even distribute the weight, if the pole was better.

That's about it :3

If anyone has any follow up concerns, I'd LOVE to answer them.
Randomly, I bought it on amazon for roughly $280. I probably could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, but, I got it overnight with Amazon Prime... love dat.

So yeah, any comments or concerns, get at me :)[/img]

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:07 am

I looked at the prices of unit 00 and 01 on ebay, and I almost lost my eyes when looking at them.

It ranges between 400 and 900$...

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:30 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:I looked at the prices of unit 00 and 01 on ebay, and I almost lost my eyes when looking at them.

It ranges between 400 and 900$...

When I got it on Amazon, it said there were 14 left in stock...
I wasn't going to risk the chance of losing the price of $280 because I knew Ebay would be the next option at $400 and up.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”