evangelion chronicles- "kinda" reviewed

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
defiate
Lilith

evangelion chronicles- "kinda" reviewed

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:36 am

hurray! the evamonkey forum is back online!

as one of the few readers of this site who actually lives in tokyo, i was able to get my hands on the first of the series "evangelion chronicles", a magazine priced at 590yen (tax incl. and cheaper than the reported 690yen for the first issue only) which comes to about $5.50 for 32 colored pages.

the pages are all hole-punched so you could stick it in your "evangelion chronicles" binder sold separately for approx. 1,550yen ($15); which is recommended since there'll be 30 issues and unless you're a hell of a housekeeper, you'll lose one or two and end up crying in a corner of your room.

as for the content, i would say it's surprisingly good for a blatant way of milking the eva cash cow (oh come on 30 issues and the binder will cost you a good $210.. not to mention shipping fees). there are many diagrams, new artwork, retouched artwork, and detailed explanations of the eva-world from a full strategy and tactic analysis of the sachiel battle (aka. 3rd angel) to the way tokyo-3 is operated and it's full history.

i've not read every single official article and canon given by gainax, but i'm pretty sure this is new stuff and as the last few issues are released, maybe reichu's theories will be proven (big fan of her work).

to the meat of this post: the pics.
i dont have a scanner so i just took pics of some pages. keep in mind that i'm a bad photographer.

the cover page as advertised

contents

Shinji

yes, they even have 2 full pages dedicated to the female operators of nerv. apparently gendo decided that apart from aoba and shigeru, all operators must be female and not ugly. they say he's a smart man.

details on the 3rd angel battle

new artwork regarding tokyo-3's function

pretty cool eh?

and of course, a page dedicated to eva products

if i feel like it, i'll translate some new information within the coming days. [/long post]

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:19 am

Ooooh. Pretty. :o

I want... I want...

If you see anything interesting, please bring it to our attention.

Are you intending collect the entire run of this?

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:37 am

im trying to do so but unfortunately i'm leaving tokyo in august to attend university in new york, which means i could only get the first 3, but im trying to get in contact with gainax to see if i could arrange an overseas subscription via snail mail.

if i succeed i'll make sure ill let the readers know (since you could probably do the same) but im willing to bet that a third party website would be more convenient (e.g. amazon.co.jp- books are not internationally restricted).

anyways im halfway through translating an article from the chronicle about the people who left the katsuragi expedition on sep. 12 2000. i got a full free day tomorrow so ill be posting quite a few translations. don't expect fancy/perfect translations like bochan bird's or reichu's... i'm still learning Japanese. :? you think i should include the original Japanese text with my translation just in case?

reagen
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby reagen » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:52 am

Cool....
I'm waiting for the translation.... :D
She Smell Like Angels Ought To Smell
The Perfect Woman, The Goddess...
Worth Killing For, Worth Dying For, Worth Going To Hell For....
------------------------------------------------------
I Can Only Love One Woman,
No Matter The Day, No Matter The Era
That Will Not Change...

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:48 am

Finally here it is... my first translation. Don't expect any MIND BLOWING revelations yet because like most good women, Gainax doesn't give it all out on the first date/volume. You do get tidbits of new and redundant inofrmation though.

***disclaimer: This is not a 100% direct, word-for-word translation of the original text. This translation was done without referring to the ADV translation of episode 21’.

Taken from the “Timeline Sheet” section of Evangelion Chronicle; volume 1, Page 01-14.

A.D. 2000, September 12th- Antarctica

Part of the Katsuragi Expedition returns home.

In Antarctica, the S2 Engine’s development proceeded smoothly owing to Dr. Katsuragi. Though it is only a hypothesis, if the S2 Engine is realized it will bring immeasurable benefits. To that end they must make the research fruitful as soon as possible or else...
Within the research team a feverish atmosphere made its presence and progress for the research was shown, but suddenly a group of people who joined the expedition returned to the motherland. They left Antarctica without letting anyone around them know, and didn’t plan on telling anyone why. Within this group, were Keel and Gendo. Although the two of them joined the expedition, they joined according to Seele’s plans.
“Scientists, they believe in themselves too much.”
“They’re self-righteous?”
“They’re too subjective; a group of people who can’t accurately grasp reality.”
“And they want (the) truth. What ironic people…”
The conversation between Keel and Gendo seems to forecast the tragedy that happened afterwards.

(Caption for the sketches of young Gendo and Keel.)
When Gendo and Keel were both young they joined the Katsuragi Expedition, but their goal was not the completion of the S2 Engine. Instead they established connections to a humanoid called “Adam”, who was sleeping under Antarctica.

***Original Japanese text***

A.D.2000 9月12日・南極

葛城調査隊の一部の人間が帰国

南極に渡った葛城博士によってS2機関の開発は順調に進められていた。仮説の階段とはいえ、S2機関が実現したとすれば、それがもたらす恩恵は計り知れないものになる。そのために一日も早く研究成果をものにしなければ・・・・・・。調査隊の間には熱病にも似た空気が満ち、研究は進展の度合いを見せていた。ところが突然、調査隊に参加した一部の人間が母国へ帰還してしまったのだ。彼らは周囲に知られることなく南極を後にし、誰にも帰国理由を話そうとはしなかった。そんな帰国者のなかにキールとゲンドウの姿があった。ふたりも調査隊に参加していたのだが、彼らはゼーレの計画のために行動していたのだ。「科学者ってぇのは、どうも自分の考えを信じ過ぎるからね」「独善的ですか」「思い込みが激し過ぎるんだよ。現実を的確に把握できない連中だからね」「そういう連中が真実を求めている。皮肉なものです・・・・・・」キールとゲンドウの会話は、この後に起こる惨劇を予測しているかのようだった。

(Caption for the sketches of young Gendo and Keel.)
まだ若いゲンドウとキールの両名も葛城調査隊に参加していた。だが彼らの目的はS2機関の完成ではなく、南極の地下に眠る「アダム」と呼ばれるヒト型成物に関係していた。

***Original Source***

More translations when I find something interesting.

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:55 am

The way Evangelion Chronicle is laid out is in a sense, pretty random. There are two or three pages and maybe a centerfold for each section (mechanic, character, timeline, tactics, installation, technology, extra) so the information given is quite broad, which is how I jumped from "the Katsuragi Expedition" to "Development of Tokyo-3"

The Development of Tokyo 3

Second Impact, the unprecedented disaster that occurred on the 13th of September, 2000, is said to have been caused by huge meteors that landed at tens of percents of the speed of light. The result of the disaster was that Earth’s axis became tilted, leading to abnormal weather throughout the world. Furthermore, in politically instable regions, disputes and tribal confrontations became apparent and all over the world disturbances of war arose. Japan was not able to escape from these effects and on September 20th of the same year, terrorists dropped an n2 bomb onto Old Tokyo (Tokyo-1/Former Tokyo). Due to the destruction of Old Tokyo, Matsumoto City of the Nagano Prefecture (Tokyo-2) was selected as the replacement capital of Japan. Incidentally, it was announced to the public that Tokyo-2 was only a temporary capital, and that there were plans underway to move all of the functions of the capital to Tokyo-3 in due time.

Simple Timeline/ Tokyo-3’s Developmental History

A.D.2000.9.13
.The Second Impact occurred
.Antarctica disappeared causing the sea level to rise by more than ten meters.
.Most of Old Tokyo is lost to the ocean.

.Terrorists dropped an n2 bomb onto Old Tokyo (Tokyo-1/Former Tokyo)
.Functions of the capital is lost

A.D.2001
.Plans to relocate the capital began
.Matsumoto City of the Nagano Prefecture was chosen as the new capital
.Construction of Tokyo-2 began

.“St. Valentine’s Temporary Peace Treaty” was signed
.The “(Japanese) Self Defence Force” was commissioned by the United Nations
.“Tactical Self Defence Force” was inaugurated

A.D.2003
.Tokyo-2 was completed

A.D.2005
.The Chairman of the United Nations started plans for Tokyo-3

A.D.2010
.The 7th Generation Super Computer Magi was activated
.Gehirn was dissolved
.United Nation’s Secret Organization NERV was inaugurated
.NERV sets its base in under Tokyo-3 (Geofront)

***Original Japanese text***

第3新東京市の成立

西暦2000年9月13日に発生した末曾有の大災害「セカンドインパクト」は、光速の数十%にも及ぶ速度で飛来した大質量隕石が南極大陸に衝突したために引き起こされたものと言われる。その結果、地球の地軸は傾き、世界的な異常気像が発生。さらに政情不安地域を中心に紛争や民族間の対立が表面化し、世界各地で戦乱が巻き起こってしまった。日本もその影響を免れることができず、同年9月20日、テロリストが旧東京にn2爆弾を投下。これにより旧東京は壊滅し、それに代わる新たな首都として長野県松本市(第2新東京市)が選出されたのだった。ちなみに表向きには第2新東京市は臨時首都であり、ゆくゆくは第3新東京市に首都機能を移管する計画は進められている。

簡易年表/第三新東京市 成立史

A.D.2000.9.13
.セカンドインパクト 発生
.南極消失により海面が十数m程度上昇
.旧東京の大半が海中に沈む。

.テロリストが旧東京にn2爆弾を投下
.首都機能が失われる

A.D.2001
.遷都計画が発動
.長野県松本市が新たな首都に選定される
.第2新東京市 建設開始

.バレンタイン休戦臨時条約 結締
.自衛隊が国連軍に委託される
.戦略自衛隊 発足

A.D.2003
.第2新東京市 完成

A.D.2005
.国連主導による第3新東京市開発計画が発動

A.D.2010
.第7代スーパーコンピュータ、MAGI初起動
.ゲヒルン解体
.国連非公開特務組織NERV発足
.NERV, 第3新東京市地下(ジオフロント)に居を構える

***Original Source***

[rant] So I just realized that with 30 issues planned, Gainax NEEDS to come up with new information... even if it means pulling it out their backsides. Take for example, the "character" section of Evangelion Chronicle- this issue we meet Shinji and the female operators of Nerv. Two characters per issue? That's not gona last till the last issue. Not even if it were 1 character per issue. There aren't 30 characters worth writing about in Evangelion, and obviously not 60. So what will happen?
No clue.
But I sure as hell don't want to read about NERV's Kitchen Staff and Hygiene Technicians (Read: Janitors).

That's not the only section- how about "Mechanics"? There are only 13 Evas and JA.... and I'm sure weapons will be covered in the "Technology" section. [/rant]

Next up- what Evangelion Chronicle has to say about Evangelions. (This is a loooong article so it might take anywhere from a day to half a week to get this done.)

Until then, please give me some feedback on my translation if you know any Japanese. Thanks! :D

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:39 am

It doesn't really make anything new (Except for Keel's and Gendo's little chat, I guess), but it's nice to see everything neat and organized, I suppose. Good job! ^_^
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:46 am

Haha thanks Legend, but not even Keel and Gendo's little chat is new. It was from the start of EP 21' (director's cut) hidden beneath a slew of background chatter. If you want a full transcript of it go to [url]www.evacommentary.org[/url]

I'm a little disappointed at Eva Chronicles too, but in retrospect it never promised to be full of new information (though it did promise to explain everything) and being great capitalizers, Gainax is sure to leave the best for the last. Never show everything at first.. eh?

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:57 am

Hehe. I wish I lived in Japan just so I could grab this. The production art is delicious for someone like me who has yet to buy any EVA books other than the manga. :P
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:54 pm

defiate wrote:Haha thanks Legend, but not even Keel and Gendo's little chat is new. It was from the start of EP 21' (director's cut) hidden beneath a slew of background chatter. If you want a full transcript of it go to [url]www.evacommentary.org[/url]

I'm a little disappointed at Eva Chronicles too, but in retrospect it never promised to be full of new information (though it did promise to explain everything) and being great capitalizers, Gainax is sure to leave the best for the last. Never show everything at first.. eh?

Oh, then I must of missed that. >_< Thank you for bringing it to moi's attention.
New Signature Policy

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:05 pm

defiate wrote:Haha thanks Legend, but not even Keel and Gendo's little chat is new. It was from the start of EP 21' (director's cut) hidden beneath a slew of background chatter. If you want a full transcript of it go to [url]www.evacommentary.org[/url]

Got it in Japanese for anyone who wants it, too. Keel and Gendo's interchange is quite easy to hear in DEATH, I noticed.

I'm a little disappointed at Eva Chronicles too, but in retrospect it never promised to be full of new information (though it did promise to explain everything)

The "NGE2 Classified Information" (that annoying thing I've been working on) was supposedly going to answer all of the big mysteries, but that was really nothing but a big, fat lie. ("Well, duh.") There is a LOT of preexisting material that they can recycle/rearrange for "Chronicle", and various other things they can do to fill up the pages (like going into excruciating detail on How Sachiel Got His Arse Handed To Himself), but explain everything? C'mon, we know Anno and his right-hand minions (like Tsurumaki and Masayuki) better than that. ;)

I'm quite disappointed in that Katsuragi Expedition bit. "Thanks for nothing, you sons of bitches!" I'll do my own sweep sometime just in case, though. (Second opinions are always good...) Still, real disappointing. I LUST for info on the Doc and that investigation like nobody's business.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was just being stupid and not noticing the actual tidbit that they seem to be spoonfeeding us in there. I hate when I do that.

Until then, please give me some feedback on my translation if you know any Japanese. Thanks!

It sounds dodgy in places (ah, I know that plight well); I can theoretically suggest some edits later. (The most immediate one is just a nitpicky singular vs. plural thing: Just one meteor, by all indications.)

don't expect fancy/perfect translations like bochan bird's or reichu's... i'm still learning Japanese.

To be perfectly honest, in terms of the "big picture", I do a lot of groping in the dark; but I've got no qualms about declaring my amateur status. bochan_bird, on the other hand, IS a professional -- but that doesn't mean he always makes the right decisions,

がんばってね!Keep em coming, time permitting.

Do you think there's any way for poor, unfortunate foreigners to subscribe to this thing, or do we have to pick up the issues individually?
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:31 pm

どうもありがとうございます for the feedback Reichu様!
I'm really having trouble trying to keep the translation coherent by ironing out the Engrish, and keeping the juicy content as it was.
You know what I mean :wink:
Just guessing the pronounciations of all the kanji when I typed up the Japanese text was hell... thank god i speak cantonese and they sound similar.

reichu wrote:Do you think there's any way for poor, unfortunate foreigners to subscribe to this thing, or do we have to pick up the issues individually?

I'm leaving Tokyo shortly, and I'm desperately trying to get an overseas subscription.. but as with all Japanese goodies it's hard to get it past the Pacific. This one seems especially so though, cause I've been searching amazon.co.jp and yesasia.com and none of them seem to offer Evangelion Chronicle at all. My next try would be with the publisher- Sony Magazines, and since they seem pretty international, I think I could get a subscription at the cost of my wallet and dignity.

If I succeed I'll make sure to tell everyone how to do it.

In the meantime, it might be costly and rare, but keep tabs on your local anime shop. I'm guessing $10 per issue and $20 for the pretty binder

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:43 pm

So when they say Chairman if the UN do they mean Keel or do they mean someone else?
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:48 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:So when they say Chairman if the UN do they mean Keel or do they mean someone else?

Depends on if SEELE is the driving force behind UN or not... Either way, I think that if Keel isn't the chairman of the UN, he's still more powerful than he is in political terms.
New Signature Policy

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:59 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:So when they say Chairman if the UN do they mean Keel or do they mean someone else?

I would presume not - Keel is not only a behind the scenes force in SEELE and naturally might not prefer to be seen as much as the Chairman would be. I'd think the Chairman would be a figurehead of sorts and Keel/SEELE would control ver and the UN. Besides, I doubt the UN is scurrying to make a German guy the head of the UN, considering they started both World Wars. Things like that tend to leave bad impressions.
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:12 pm

That or the UN discriminates against cyborgs! But than again why let a non-human be in charge of the government....of course that begs the question why is a non-human in charge of the Human Completion Project...
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:51 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:That or the UN discriminates against cyborgs! But than again why let a non-human be in charge of the government....of course that begs the question why is a non-human in charge of the Human Completion Project...

Keel is a human and isn't a cyborg. He just has prosthetics for his spine, an accident, maybe he prolonged his life? While I doubt the 'Wandering Jew' thing I can see him living a few centuries. Besides, SEELES isn't some kind of force destined to run Third Impact... They're as crucial to it as Gendo (Some can claim more, others can claim less). They ran the show, but they selfishly wanted to become God, and became obsessed with the idea after reading the Dead Sea Scrolls.
New Signature Policy

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:40 am

Actually the Red Cross Book says he's mechanical from the spine down, I'd say he's pretty much a machine at this point. I'd call that a cyborg not a human.
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:32 am

Okay so let's define cyborg before we decide whether poor Keel is cyborg or human.

Dictionary.com wrote:cy·borg
n.
A human who has certain physiological processes aided or controlled by mechanical or electronic devices.

So yes, Keel could be both human AND cyborg at the same time. To be honest it doesn't matter to me if a human or a cyborg ran the UN or SEELE as long as it has a human brain.

SEELE 08 wrote:Actually the Red Cross Book says he's mechanical from the spine down, I'd say he's pretty much a machine at this point.

Keel is pretty much fully mechanical and not just from the spine down. I'd compare him to a sack of skin filled with mechanical parts. Just look at the image when Keel get's tangified in EoE.

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:51 am

Any chance of this coming to the U.S. in English?
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”