Why do we hate Angelic Days Again?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:22 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Robots can't be mecha, by definition.

How do I Real Robot and Super Robot genre.

Robot is synonymous with mecha in many ways, being technical out the ass won't stop that.

Enough of this! Back to the topic!
Last edited by Tankred on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:24 pm

A robot is entirely mechanical, and relies soley on AI. If there are biological components, a pilot, and/or a remote control, it isn't a robot. Mecha have to have pilots to be considered mecha.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:28 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:A robot is entirely mechanical, and relies soley on AI. If there are biological components, a pilot, and/or a remote control, it isn't a robot. Mecha have to have pilots to be considered mecha.

Not sure if trolling or...

Did you even look up the stuff I typed? Actually, did you even read what I typed?

I don't need a lecture when I go on a board dedicated to the stuff, thank you.
Last edited by Tankred on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:A robot is entirely mechanical, and relies soley on AI. If there are biological components, a pilot, and/or a remote control, it isn't a robot. Mecha have to have pilots to be considered mecha.

Well, in Japan the humanoid robots in the film "A.I." are called mecha. So the seperation is not really that distinct.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:22 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:^ On what definition do you base when you say robots are not mecha???

Harem for the poor?
Triangles are not harem - this is what I stress repeatedly.

Hmm? The story is actually quite shoujo (the author is a shoujo manga artist so not surprising here) with multiple triangles dragging on and on. I don't see how it tends to be like a harem anime. Perhaps there is some "harem anime" you have in mind?

Well I only read the first volume of it and dropped it after that. But from what I remember it was mostly just Shinji being boring and uninteresting and the girls fighting over him which is a lot like what tends to happen in harem anime which I have seen and then some evangelions showed up in a way that I remember being rather forced. It's been a couple years since I read it and am in no hurry to go back and check out if I am remembering things correctly.

But yeah the shojo that I tend to like are some magical girl anime , or more character driven stuff like kare kano or utena. So if this sort of thing is common in Shojo, its probably the part that I stay away from.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Stikuru
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stikuru » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:24 am

Off topic robot reply:
SPOILER: Show

From my very limited exposure to the term "mecha", I was under the impression it is slang, and the shortened version of mechanism. I could find no definition of "mecha" that says they have to have a pilot or remote control.

Actually, the only thing I could find for it was from the websters online dictionary.

"Mecha (derived from mechanism) is a term used in science fiction, anime, and manga, to identify a large robot; or in the original Japanese definition, machinery in general."

So according to their definition at least, robots can be mecha.

But I bet you could find a million different definitions of it online that all say different things, so really it is up to the individual to figure out which one they choose to use until a time comes when everyone is standardized.

//On topic
I personally have only read a few Angelic Days manga, just the ones I could find at my library (not in order, just the ones they had at the time) but I thought it was alright. I like Shinji Ikari Raising better but I'm interested enough to read the rest later on at some point.

Borders was the closest book store to my house, but since it's gone now I've been in a transitional phase of buying all my books and manga online, so it might be a while until I finish all of Angelic Days.

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:29 am

Just finished volume 2 (they are coming in the mail in order) and I have to say, I really like this. Shinji really stands on his own and makes a compelling case for his life as a relatively normal teenager: it would still be Eva and would still be interesting, it just wouldn't be iconic. Also: more Kaworu. Anything that can give me more insight into Evangelion's resident badass gets a thumbs up.
AVATAR: Zer0 from Borderlands 2.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:31 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:from what I remember it was mostly just Shinji being boring and uninteresting and the girls fighting over him which is a lot like what tends to happen in harem anime which I have seen

I think it is more like the girls are trying to get on good terms with Shinji, but if we talk about harem it would have to be the girls who develop romantic feeling towards the one guy, and I think in Angelic Days there are only two, Asuka and Rei, who are like that.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:06 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:I know this is probably a totally outlandish idea, but you could try not posting trollbait in the first place if you don't want Bagheera to call you out on it.

It wasn't a trollbait, esselfortium. I just can't like a manga that is basically a LAS shipfest, it's one of my reasons for "hating" it, why shouldn't I say it? Should I have added that it's the wrong pairing to me, like I clarified before? It's pretty much implicit that it's my opinion, I suppose.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:57 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:It wasn't a trollbait, esselfortium. I just can't like a manga that is basically a LAS shipfest, it's one of my reasons for "hating" it, why shouldn't I say it? Should I have added that it's the wrong pairing to me, like I clarified before? It's pretty much implicit that it's my opinion, I suppose.

Pretty much, yeah. There are lots of ways to say that without making it out to be a simple statement of fact.

Remember, this is a written medium. It's very easy to misread intent if you speak overly casually, and this is particularly true if you're not speaking in your native tongue.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:07 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:particularly true if you're not speaking in your native tongue.

[sarcasm]I'm so sorry about that[/sarcasm] but I already know that my English sucks, you could try to keep that in consideration when reading my posts. Anyway I already said before that it was my opinion, I see no reason to discuss this argument any further; usually I always insert many "im(h)o", "I think", "I suppose" and so on, I forgot to do so this time, my bad but I think that forum's posts about similar arguments are always opinions, I doubt that anyone here thinks that he/she's holding an absolute truth.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:57 pm

Hyper Shinchan and Bagheera: Deep breaths, count to ten, think before you post.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:18 pm

I never hated it, I found it to be alright. I just hated how bad the art can be sometimes since I remember some of the faces would be missing.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:53 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:I never hated it, I found it to be alright. I just hated how bad the art can be sometimes since I remember some of the faces would be missing.

The art can get really bad at some point. Sometimes I have to look twice to figure out if that's supposed to be Shinji in any given panel.

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Angelic Days is essentially a fanwankers dream, drawn out like a typical high school anime drama. It provides an outlet for those predisposed towards thinking of better lives for tragic characters.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:33 am

View Original PostIronfoot wrote:Angelic Days is essentially a fanwankers dream, drawn out like a typical high school anime drama. It provides an outlet for those predisposed towards thinking of better lives for tragic characters.

Yes. It serves those fans who take pleasure in seeing the characters with normal psychological states and higher levels of self esteem than normal, featured in everyday environments. I suppose it pleases fans who enjoy happy and light hearted versions of eva. WAFF fans, in short.
But having said that, I do not have a problem with Angelic Days. I actually like it, and I have not seen any evidence that large amounts of the eva fan community think too differently from me. I have had no experience with hate for it.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:04 am

View Original PostIronfoot wrote:Angelic Days is essentially a fanwankers dream, drawn out like a typical high school anime drama. It provides an outlet for those predisposed towards thinking of better lives for tragic characters.

I love the original series and even End of Evangelion, but is it really so wrong for me to want to see them happy? If I want to see the real Evangelion, I'll go watch it. But you make it sound like a crime to want to see them just deal with life and not constantly grapple with their very sanity. And I would argue that while it does play out like a typical high school drama, the fact that it's Evangelion ads another layer to everything said.

Seeing Yui and Rei interact in Volume 6 was amazing. Rei's discussion of love with Ritsuko also stands out as a great moment. Comparatively, the Asuka/Shinji resolution and Misato/Kaji stuff was weak. But I don't regret reading or buying. And the art dramatically improved by the end.

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:46 am

View Original PostONIAgent150 wrote:I love the original series and even End of Evangelion, but is it really so wrong for me to want to see them happy? If I want to see the real Evangelion, I'll go watch it. But you make it sound like a crime to want to see them just deal with life and not constantly grapple with their very sanity. And I would argue that while it does play out like a typical high school drama, the fact that it's Evangelion ads another layer to everything said.

Seeing Yui and Rei interact in Volume 6 was amazing. Rei's discussion of love with Ritsuko also stands out as a great moment. Comparatively, the Asuka/Shinji resolution and Misato/Kaji stuff was weak. But I don't regret reading or buying. And the art dramatically improved by the end.

I guess I was a little harsh.

The problem stems in our very nature: we want to see others happy, and when we see characters as tragic as the ones in Evangelion, it's only natural to think of a better world from them. That's one of the core reasons why the Eva franchise is so large today IMO. You have stuff like Angelic Days which helps to satisfy that longing many fans of the series have, to make a better world for these characters. Our natural ability to think the best of others overlaps with anime characters.

But that's also exactly where the problem arises. The characters of Evangelion cannot be changed: they are static representations of concepts that only become real in your own mind. Is it OK for me to write this? You could just leave the page, but that would just maintain the dream world we surround ourselves in. Static concepts acting and transforming in our imaginations, fueled by our desire for a better life.

And Angelic Days is merely fuel for that fire. However, I do apologize for my opinion...it's rather disheartening for fantasy worlds, and I do not wish to ruin your happiness further.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:30 am

Sounds fine to me, and the fact that it is officially sanctioned, not just another doujin, shows that creators of Evangelion recognized such need and yearning. Another important fact to note that it is not just any fanwankers dream, but a shoujo styled approach one, which gives it a particularly feminine viewpoint to the Evangelion characters and their relationship set in a high school setting. Is it typical? It depends on which high school anime drama you have in mind.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:11 pm

View Original PostIronfoot wrote:I guess I was a little harsh.

The problem stems in our very nature: we want to see others happy, and when we see characters as tragic as the ones in Evangelion, it's only natural to think of a better world from them. That's one of the core reasons why the Eva franchise is so large today IMO. You have stuff like Angelic Days which helps to satisfy that longing many fans of the series have, to make a better world for these characters. Our natural ability to think the best of others overlaps with anime characters.

But that's also exactly where the problem arises. The characters of Evangelion cannot be changed: they are static representations of concepts that only become real in your own mind. Is it OK for me to write this? You could just leave the page, but that would just maintain the dream world we surround ourselves in. Static concepts acting and transforming in our imaginations, fueled by our desire for a better life.

And Angelic Days is merely fuel for that fire. However, I do apologize for my opinion...it's rather disheartening for fantasy worlds, and I do not wish to ruin your happiness further.

No no, that's a well-reasoned response. Thank you for your opinion. I suppose it is in my nature to want to see them happy. Especially since things show no signs of getting any better in Rebuild. But I know that Angelic Days is only a temporary reprieve. The characters sometimes do show those flaws that they have in the main series in Angelic Days, but only in brief hints. They are idealized versions of the characters.

On the other hand, Angelic Days is still a touch darker than Shinji Ikari Raising Project. At least Gendo is still Gendo in Angelic Days.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”