What anime are you watching right now? May07-Feb10

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

alabaster wrote:Has anyone here seen Samurai Champloo or Samurai 7? Are they good?
Champloo is kickass. Samurai 7 isn't all that great. It's actually one of the only examples I can name where adding giant robots hurts the result. I'd recommend watching Kurosawa's original Seven Samurai followed by Ninja Scroll and Sword of the Stranger instead. :lol:

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:45 am

Instead of Samurai 7, better to watch Kurosawa's Shichinin no Samurai. 3 hours of B&W awesomeness.

I'm watching lots of shit right now. Without counting shows that are just being aired, those I'm following on another PC and those I just started (still haven't seen the first ep), right now I'm following:

Bamboo Blade (rewatch): Might be a club animu, almost full girl cast with sum moe and shit, but somehow I ended up loving this show. And I'm (not) alone in this, as I remember the first season of Tentai Senshi Sunred when they did an episode in hommage of this series.

City Hunter 2: I liked the first season. And while it's kind of a repetitive series, it's from times where there were no cell phones, when men used to go picking up girls instead of harem type of shows... and I like the chara. I started with this franchise when I saw Angel Heart and remembered at some point I had seen at least one City Hunter OVA.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (rewatch): One of the most awesome and epic series of all times. Heil Kaiser Reinhardt!

Himitsu the Revelation: Somewhat shoujo-ish, anime about a method to extract images from dead people's brains used for crime solving. Interesting.

Kidou Senshi Gundam (the original): Because Zeonic-Corps finished subbing this series in its original form. And while its designs are kinda... well, old; the series in itself with chara development and all is fucking awesome. It really came as a surprise. I had never wanted to watch the Gundam franchise because of all the different series there are about it. But now, at least the original one, I'm loving it.

Mei Ou Project Zeorymer: Because I read here that Eva based stuffs on it, and well, it has a lot of common points with Eva.

Mirai Shounen Conan: One of the most awesome old series I've ever seen. From 1978 and still much better produced than many modern ones. Miyazaki at his best.

Mouryou no Hako: I had dropped this one but just picked it up again. Still haven't seen it.

Saki: Because I heard so much about it. I know nothing about Mah Jongh yet I still enjoy this, same as I enjoyed Shion no Ou without having a clue about shougi.

Tentai Senshi Sunred 2: A true hero.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:53 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Himitsu the Revelation: Somewhat shoujo-ish
which is code for "includes pretty boy character who is probably flaming" ... hmm and I see that a few more episodes have been subbed since I last checked.

Mouryou no Hako: I had dropped this one but just picked it up again. Still haven't seen it.
Best series of last year. Pity the last episode hasn't been subbed.

Saki: Because I heard so much about it. I know nothing about Mah Jongh
Unlike Akagi, which tried to talk you through the game a bit, all you really need to know for Saki is that hax level is correlated with Kinsey score.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby MatrixRefugee » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:37 pm

Currently watching "Those Who Hunt Elves", which is screamingly funny (though I've been doing "Hey, It's That Voice..." while watching it, since a few Evangelion dub VAs turn up in it: Kurt Stoll, aka Kensuke, had a small part in the first episode, and then I caught myself saying, "Why did I just hear TV series!Fuyutsuki in this crowd of villagers?" Turned it out to be Guil Lunde doing spear-carrier duty)
Last edited by MatrixRefugee on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Just finished Monster.

My god. It was perfect. The last few episodes are probably some of the best episodes in anime that I've ever seen. Everything tied together. Everything.

10/10.

alabaster
Lilith

Postby alabaster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:41 pm

schismatics wrote:Just finished Monster.

My god. It was perfect. The last few episodes are probably some of the best episodes in anime that I've ever seen. Everything tied together. Everything.

10/10.

Oooh, I'm excited to get my Monster Box Set 1 next week (only the first 15 episodes). Boy, is that show ever going to be drawn out for me.

Looks like Champloo is a winner! :toothy:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Alabaster

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:45 pm

alabaster wrote:Boy, is that show ever going to be drawn out for me.

It's soooo worth it. I usually dislike watching anything over 26 episodes but Monster actually makes good use of 74 episodes.

Looks like Champloo is a winner! :toothy:

Good choice. ^_^

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:53 pm

schismatics wrote:
It's soooo worth it. I usually dislike watching anything over 26 episodes but Monster actually makes good use of 74 episodes.

is it better than Eva?

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:00 pm

LeoXiao wrote:is it better than Eva?

It's on the same level as Eva.

Watch it. You won't regret it.

alabaster
Lilith

Postby alabaster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:54 pm

I'm okay with 74 episodes if the show is good (and from all I've heard, Monster is great) but the boxsets are probably going to come out every 3 or 4 months, so I'll have to wait a long time to get the next 15 episodes. I hate that!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Alabaster

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:55 pm

schismatics wrote:

It's on the same level as Eva.

Watch it. You won't regret it.

I did. It's like my favorite anime probably.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:22 pm

Yes.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:24 pm

ZapX wrote:

Yes.

I agree.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:06 pm

ZapX wrote:

Yes.

Everything is better than Eva. Anno, that fucking troll.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:22 am

BrikHaus wrote:
ZapX wrote:

Yes.

Everything is better than Eva. Anno, that fucking troll.

Your posts aren't. Neither is the "what little girl do you want to be" thread.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:40 am

I am likely the last person who recently came out of their lonely cavern to have watched Gurren Lagann.

SPOILER: Show
Kamina dies too soon. RIP Aniki. So was he Simon's actual biological brother or just spiritually?
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:50 am

Uriel Septim VII wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Kamina dies too soon. RIP Aniki. So was he Simon's actual biological brother or just spiritually?

TTGL  SPOILER: Show
They're not actually, biological brothers. But Kamina is someone Simon really looks up to, as if he were an older brother.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:04 am

Sachi wrote:
TTGL  SPOILER: Show
They're not actually, biological brothers. But Kamina is someone Simon really looks up to, as if he were an older brother.

With the size of their village, one can probably deduce that they're at least cousins.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:30 am

"Aniki" is usually used in the equivalent of "bro", as in a close male friend.

When he remembers that Simon's parents died from a cave in, he doesn't refer to them as his parents.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:28 pm

backseatjesus wrote:
BrikHaus wrote:Everything is better than Eva.
Your posts aren't.

Clearly you haven't read 200 Proof or the EGF X-Mas Special.

They both have Ornette, and as we all know, anything with Ornette > anything without Ornette. Evangelion does not have Ornette.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Old Stickies”