What anime are you watching right now? May07-Feb10

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:24 pm

I'm re-watching the last few episodes of DBZ from the DVD.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:43 pm

I've almost finished watching Mobile Suit Gundam.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:55 pm

I've been rewatching the entirety of NGE for the first time in a couple years, from the Platinum box I ordered last week. Watched through episodes 1 through 15 so far.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:57 pm

I'll probably continue to watch NGE once I'm done watching a few other anime's (one being Mobile Suit Gundam).
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:00 pm

The last time I watched it was in the company of friends, from the animu club I ran in high school, so a lot of subtlety was lost. Of course I also just didn't know nearly as much about certain things at the time and a lot flew over my head that feels blatantly obvious now.

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

Postby Xeroko » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:08 am

Witchblade, I'm a big fan of the comics so I'm hoping its of a similar level of quality. The first episode seemed pretty cool.
Clocks and Maids
Don't believe in yourself, believe in the maid who believes in you! <3
The Ewan McGregor and Jaime Lannister Fangirl of EGF
My cakes will pierce the heavens!
Maidly Quote: "I'll punish you in high heels!"

[url]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/Xero103/1297051910683.jpg[/url]
~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:13 am

Well I saw the last episode of DBZ on the DVD.

SPOILER: Show
Only thing I didn't like is that Goku tells Uub that Uub has to be the one to defend the planet if something should happen to Goku. But that's something to tell to Vegeta, even if Uub is Kid Buu's reincarnate. I also wished the whole tournament was shown and Goku didn't leave to finish with Uub in the middle of the fight. The whole end felt so much like the Dragonball era.

I think it would have been better if Goku and Uub finished there fight and the tournament proceeds and then he leaves with Uub. And as or after they leave a recap of the beginning of Dragonball to the end of DBZ is shown like GT did. Ugh I can't believe GT had to be the one to do it.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:20 am

Xero102 wrote:Witchblade, I'm a big fan of the comics so I'm hoping its of a similar level of quality. The first episode seemed pretty cool.

Witchblade was surprisingly good for what I was expecting (tits). And it didn't have a typical LOL GONZO ending.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:45 am

Now that I have finished watching Gurren Lagann, I'm going to watch Now and Then, Here and There.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:30 am

Oz wrote: Now and Then, Here and There.

What's this about, and is it good?
MAL

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:38 am

Monster episode 44

ok, now this show is probably officially my favorite show ever. Fucking BRILLIANT episode. I never expected THAT.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:34 am

Rabid-Sachiel wrote:
Oz wrote: Now and Then, Here and There.

What's this about, and is it good?

I've watched two episodes so far and the basic idea is something like this: An over-energetic boy meets a mysterious girl and shit happens.

There are certainly others who know more about the show so I'll let them do the writing (I'm looking at you, Xard and Jimbo).
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:41 am

backseatjesus wrote:Monster episode 44

ok, now this show is probably officially my favorite show ever. Fucking BRILLIANT episode. I never expected THAT.

This is why I keep saying this show is better than NGE. Something like that isn't easy to pull off with this much dramatic effect (that smile just makes me want to piss myself). Not just that, it has more to do with the overall story than you can imagine.

Re: NTHT: look it up on animenewsnetwork for a synopsis. More or less a happy-go-lucky boy with a happy-go-lucky life gets thrusted into the most horrible place imaginable (teenage girls locked up getting raped over and over again, boys conscripted to kill in order to allow that to happen).

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:28 am

I finish re-watching Tenchi Muyo: Ryo- Ohki for the second time, I still think the older episodes where better but it still great never less. I hate how the 3rd disc is just one episode.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm

I thought the first Tenchi OVA was very good. It had some great plot twists and a real quality opening.

Anyway, I'm watching Serei no Moribito and Visions of Escaflowne. They're pretty good.
MAL

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:42 pm

I liked the first Tenchi OVA (eps 1-13?), started watching the new one from a few years ago and never finished it. The animation was sharper, but I kinda liked the hand-drawn roughness of the first one. It added to the atmosphere of the series. The new one felt too... I dunno, clean, I guess. I might finish it if I ever get bored.

Watched Mad Bull 34 (internetz).
SPOILER: Show
Sleepy/Mad Bull wrote:"I had a feeling this evening would turn out like this, so I used these grenades for a jockstrap!"
It doesn't get any better than this.
Rewatched Steamboy last night with my folks--first time I'd watched it in about a year and a half. The visuals still impressed me, and this was the first time I'd watched it with the dub (which was actually pretty good). I liked it.

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:31 pm

I saw part of the second one. I didn't really see enough to evaluate it's quality, though.
MAL

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:56 pm

Put Noein temporarily on-hold to finally continue Welcome to the NHK. Brilliant show. It's hilarious, and yet the drama and characters are awesome. The episodes that dealt with otaku culture and eroge were really well-done satire. I have a feeling that if I were a bit more of an otaku I'd be genuinely bothered by how accurate the portrayal is...luckily I haven't sunken to the level of an eroge otaku...(No offense to any of those we might have here...)

Basically, if it remains this good, it'll worm its way into my top five. Noein, on the other hand...as long as it sticks around the 7.5-8/10 range, I'll be happy. Six episodes left.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:54 am

NHK is definitely a great show. If you're into the developments thusfar, you'll like the end. Noein was a show I thought i'd hate, but it turned out better than I expected. I don't think that makes it a good show though.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:38 pm

Watched the Battle Angel OVA for the first time. It was cool, but for some reason I was expecting more.

Started Speed Grapher. Hilarious. The animation's a little clunky, but hardly worth most of the flames some of the critics launch at it. And the story and narrative are so over-the-top that I can't see the bottom, but at least it plays itself out as nothing more than an over-the-top neo-noir thriller. I'm liking it so far. It feels like a modern retake on the early-90's craziness.

Return to “Old Stickies”