What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:23 pm

View Original PostNatTheWriter wrote:general over-the-top-moe-ness

Warning: overexposure to moe may cause moe tolerance to develop! Soon, you'll require more and more ridiculous moe tropes to satisfy the cravings!

Anyway, I guess I look at it this way: I don't expect Gurren Lagann to realistically depict physics; I don't expect Kanon to realistically depict personalities. That's why it's fantasy. Think of it as Platonic ideals of a portion of reality.

That being said, it's also probably true that most male authors have trouble writing realistic female characters, and the way that they are presented in these works probably says as much about the male authors as it does real women.

Incidentally, the K-On! manga was also written by a man.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:44 am

KUROKO ARC KUROKO ARC KUROKO ARC KUROKO ARC

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:04 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:That being said, it's also probably true that most male authors have trouble writing realistic female characters, and the way that they are presented in these works probably says as much about the male authors as it does real women.

Incidentally, the K-On! manga was also written by a man.

I just had to mention that B gata H kei, a 4koma about a 15 year old girl wanting to bang 100 guys in high school who has a slutty sister that's several years younger than her was written by a woman.

I mean, I think the anime adaptation is fantastic (and oddly enough much closer to real high school life than 95% of all these damn romcom anime), but I was surprised when I learned a woman was behind this. huh

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:43 am

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:surprised when I learned a woman was behind this. huh
If anything, women are much more likely to indulge in the perverse than men are. Consider, for instance, the example of Kaworu Watashiya.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:26 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:If anything, women are much more likely to indulge in the perverse than men are. Consider, for instance, the example of Kaworu Watashiya.

KnJ was written by a woman?! Goddamn Japs and their unisex names!
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:02 pm

I´m currently watching the original MSG Gundam series.

Damn, this is good.
I should stop watching bad spin-offs which thrive upon this masterpiece.
(I´m looking at you, something(optional)-Gundam-somethings.)

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Yeah, Tines stealth-ninja'd me but Kodomo no Jikan's author is indeed a woman.

And so is author of Mitsudomoe (and she was very cute too... O_o)

It's also well-known piece of apocrypha that /d/ has huge female population and that many of the most popular H-doujin authors are women. Especially in the loligurovore-variety...

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:How is it boring/sterile? It's got plenty of fighting and explosions. :bigguns:

Combat is uncreative vanilla in execution and show doesn't properly motivate the action anyway: there's rarely any reason to give a fuck about what goes on screen. I love good action. This isn't good action. This is mecha anime equivalent to Michael Bay films.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:27 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Like TM said, the Fuuko arc at the beginning of Clannad is probably paced too slowly. This is the studio that later gave us Endless Eight, after all. But I would argue that these shows depend heavily on the viewer's investment in the characters, which takes time. For an animated show, the physical cues between people can be very subtle (or very exaggerated). And the Fuuko arc is good for starting the relationships that become more important as the series progresses.
yeah I might try it again next year. At the moment there's just too much stuff that's supplanted its place on my list.

InstrumentalityOne wrote:KUROKO ARC KUROKO ARC KUROKO ARC KUROKO ARC
well said. This episode should be the start of something awesome. I can’t wait to see more Accelerator being completely badass with his Last Order sidekick-mascot. It’s about damn time he made his debut for the season.

-----
Finished the 10-ep long Dirty Pair OVA from '87 or so. Shit was great. Since I'd only seen Project EDEN prior to this, the OVA series made me far more invested in Kei & Yuri than I expected. I'll definitely be checking out the rest of this franchise soon enough.

I'm also thinking of writing a short blurb about abandoned characters from the 80s and submitting it to Forced Perspective sometime.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:49 pm

I love good action. This isn't good action. This is mecha anime equivalent to Michael Bay films.

I think you're confusing the words drama and action, to say Michael Bay films don't have good action is just idiotic. Why? He does his job, as does this series.

Anyway, I finished Aura Battler Dunbine. For the most part it ended very well, much better than I thought, although it felt anticlimactic to a small extent. I don't know, the really big "final explosion back to Byston Well" attack seemed a little random. Ah well, still an awesome series. :bigguns:
Damn, this is good.
I should stop watching bad spin-offs which thrive upon this masterpiece.

Char's Counterattack and Nu Gundam are ridiculously over rated, proceed with caution when you get to it.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:44 pm

I really wanted to put my new monitor to use so I started on Darker than Black. So far watched 6 episodes. I like the 2 episode formula, and the story so far looks very interesting.

It's a bit funny that I'm watching both Monster and DtB simultaneously and both main characters have the same seiyu.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:17 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I think you're confusing the words drama and action, to say Michael Bay films don't have good action is just idiotic. Why? He does his job, as does this series.

Fuck no. Bay can't direct an action scene worth a shit. For someone who can't direct drama but does decent action, see Zack Snyder - he has one gimmick (ramping) and it's annoying if you think about it, but it works. Bay is equally bad at action, drama and wiping his ass on the way out of the bathroom.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:32 pm

Fuck no. Bay can't direct an action scene worth a shit.

Bwahahahahahahahaha! Last I checked his action scenes had action, not talking, and they were executed very well and kept attention going. You're thinking James Cameron.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:46 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote: Last I checked his action scenes had action, not talking, and they were executed very well and kept attention going.
what is your definition of 'well executed'? Bay just tries to mask his god awful camerawork with explosions. I'm all for explosions, but good god Bay can't shoot a scene for shit. It's worse than watching music videos and tv commercials. Zach Snyder is only above him because he keeps the camera steadier, but an overreliance on pointless slow motion isn't necessarily better.

this tangent should probably go someplace else, though

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:52 pm

I don't like shaky camera angles either, but there is an exception to this rule: Chaos. Do you really think war and fighting occur at a steady pace? Hell no, it's chaos, pure randomness with the possibility of death at every corner. Fighting rarely ever goes "steady" and war is no excuse to that either, if anything you need more of it because it makes it more serious and real from a visual standpoint, like you are actually there.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:19 pm

TOPIC.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:23 am

I don't get to watch much anime lately... but just recently, I finally saw Karigurashi no Arrietty in the theater.

And I loved it. :sachi_blush:
Been a while since a Ghibli movie has captivated me right away like this.

Next, I'm planning to go see Murdock Scramble and SnF _ Heaven and Earth (the latter no sooner than December, alas...)

@Prof Tines
Woah, I didn't know there was a woman behind THAT! :lol:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:18 am

LILI! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :glomp:
I finally saw Karigurashi no Arrietty in the theater.
I wish theatres around here played cool stuff like this. Ghibli did not disappoint, I take it? :D

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:19 am

Since it became available on Netflix Instant Watch I have been watching the previous Full Metal Alchemist anime.

I know once or twice in the past here I've stated I didn't like FMA or never got into but after watching episodes of FMA: Brotherhood via FUNimation's official YouTube channel I figured that maybe I didn't give the previous anime a fair chance to begin with.

I also haven't seen any Panty & Stocking lately. I need to fix that.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Halicat » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:47 am

View Original PostLiLi wrote: I finally saw Karigurashi no Arrietty in the theater.

Ooooh how was that? I'm slowly but surely trawling my way through Ghibli films by adding them to my DVD collection, so I'm wondering if I should get my hands on it when it comes out. I liked Ponyo, but it wasn't the best.

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Today I have finished Battle Commander Daimos. Nice ending to a great series, although there were a hell of a lot of deaths from beginning to end it still had much going for it. The only real downside is that the final battle with Daimos and Goddoamon lasted what 3 minutes? Real shame, it could have been better. Ah well, it's still awesome. :bigguns:

Also watched a couple eps of SD Gundam Brave Battle Warriors and Devilman as well as getting around to seeing episode 2 of Unicorn Gundam; looking forward to the Delta Plus. :cool:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Return to “Old Stickies”