What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:42 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:You also neglected to mention that the ending was a complete train-wreck.

I see what you did there. That scene would have been both funnier and more logical if a Monty Python style cut-out animation of God suddenly appeared and handed Treize a "Get out of mortal danger free" card.

And let's face it, that was how best to approach the series -- like it was the Famous Five or similar.

I wish it had been more like Biggles instead. Besides, you can't have Famous Five without fetishistically elaborate depictions of foods.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Finished Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei...

Errr...ehh.... Not that it wasn't enjoyable, but I was hoping for so much more.
Some skits were drawn out WAY too long and weren't funny at all after the first joke (like, the Mikoshi thing in episode 7, or that "prove you aren't a clone" one later on).

I found that a lot of the jokes would be what I'd consider "funny", but maybe because I'm reading it or whatever it doesn't come off as good. I dunno.

Also I kept finding myself pausing after the OP, skipping a minute and a half back and then watch it again. Multiple times. I was sad when they swapped it for the last 3 episodes ;_; (also what was the deal with ep 12 having the non-animated version that was in the first 3 episodes? lol)

Comedy anime has left me in despair. Why are there so few that actually make me laugh and not just smile a bit or do that "exhale a bit through your nose" thing.
Last edited by toe mash on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:57 pm

Good.

Now watch Zoku and have your mind blown into beautiful little bits of grey matter and sperm

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:05 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Good.

Now watch Zoku and have your mind blown into beautiful little bits of grey matter and sperm

I was planning to.
It should be ready by tomorrow morning, in fact :whistle:

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Watched Paprika. A perfect complement with Inception. The movie's all the more amusing when you have the voices of Yui, Batou and Kaji all in there. :lol:

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Halicat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:48 am

Is it true Paprika was an inspiration for Inception? [I still haven't seen the film yet, but when I heard that that grabbed my interest even more.]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:19 pm

View Original PostHalicat wrote:Is it true Paprika was an inspiration for Inception? [I still haven't seen the film yet, but when I heard that that grabbed my interest even more.]

Here:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/php ... p?t=132619

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:45 pm

I just read a little into Volume 8 of the Toaru Majutsu no Index light novel.

I hereby forgive J.C. Staff for putting out 6 sub-standard quality-wise episodes because the source material was shit and they saved money for the following episodes.

Looks like we´re going to see the Imoutos, Misaka Misaka, Misaka, the Accelerator and Kuroko again.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Next arc will be Kuroko arc.

and it should be helluva EPIC based on the rumors...oh, and it has Accelerator and Last Order, yay :D

haven't actually watched anything in days due to being too depressed and when not depressed too busy

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Up to episode 45 in Aura Battler Dunbine. Well, not too much happened except
SPOILER: Show
They killed Todd!
, although since this is a Tomino anime that's to be expected. The battles are still neat, although you'd think one of the four massive battleships would have been taken out by now.

I also watched episode 6 of SRW OG The Inspector, still actiony like it should be. :bigguns:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Giant Killing looks to be in line for being one of the top 3 series for the year -- up to episode 8 now, and it's got to the point where my wife is the one suggesting we watch another episode (or two). Yes, an anime about football.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Ore no Imouto 6: They go to bed early. I believe this show deserves the best musical score of the season. Between the harmonica, the band, and the other casual music. It's the most diverse and I enjoy it a lot.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:13 am

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:Ore no Imouto 6: They go to bed early. I believe this show deserves the best musical score of the season. Between the harmonica, the band, and the other casual music. It's the most diverse and I enjoy it a lot.

Ep 6 was pretty nice, but I found it stupid how they keep showing Kirino for 3 seconds at a time either for just fanservice or to show how annoyed she is that her brother isn't home. It looks pretty retarded.

And best musical score? Maybe the music is good, I didn't really notice, but too bad for this series Panty and Stocking is also here :lol:

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Halicat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 am

I watched Cat Soup and it was definitely my cup of tea. I am disappoint I can't find any DVDs of it in my region D< I can't Angel's Egg either.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:35 am

View Original PostHalicat wrote:I can't Angel's Egg either.

I'd Angel's Egg too.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:32 am

Just finished New Story of Aura Battler Dunbine. Well, not as good as the series, but still very awesome even though the ending is a little questionable. Sirbine and Zwauth were pretty awesome in their own rights and the creatures were nothing short of neat even if the Jigas were kind of weak. It's a definite watch for anyone that likes fantasy or wants to try something new.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:59 am

Watched the 80s movie They Were 11 last night, followed by a rewatch of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Paprika.

Eleven had some nice backgrounds but was pretty run-of-the-mill otherwise, and even the settings and whatnot were standard fair for 80s anime sci-fi. I must have fallen asleep at the end because I don't remember the last ten minutes. I should watch that part again tonight.

TGWLTT was, as always, great. The ending still makes no sense at all, but Hosoda's form is impeccable and his manipulation of tension through the length of time between cuts is awesome. The pacing of the ending was still a little disjoint but not as crazy as it felt the last time I watched it, especially since it fell neatly into a pretty solid 3-act narrative structure.

Paprika was a very recent rewatch, since I first saw that last month. Stunning visuals, insane plot, surrealism everywhere, fuck yeah who cares about narrative coherency when it looks this fucking cool. That's about all I have to say on Paprika, even after rewatching it so soon.

And Marmalade Boy continues to be kickass. I ordered the first two sets of the series (the first half) for pretty damn cheap. I’ll get the rest next month.

Does anyone know how the You’re Under Arrest series stacks up to the OVA? I’ve heard it’s basically more of the same with poorer animation (to be expected), but other people who also liked the OVA have said that the series is pointless episodic shit with unrealistic physics and wacky characters (which seems like complaining over nothing, since you could say the same about the OVA).

View Original PostXard wrote:haven't actually watched anything in days due to being too depressed and when not depressed too busy
:dejected:

It's because you're not watching enough shoujo.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Halicat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:05 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:I'd Angel's Egg too.

Ok I laughed out loud there. Damn me and my typos :lol:

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Luckily it's easy to understand what you meant. :lol: The situation was too tempting so I just had to point out how you can turn that typo into a certain meme.

Damn. That reminds me of one thing: I need to rewatch Angel's Egg ASAP.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:33 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Does anyone know how the You’re Under Arrest series stacks up to the OVA?

Brace for QUALITY and a sloooowly progressing romance. But the series has its awesome moments, too. Episode 10 is especially hilarious with its Scooter Mama antics, and the beach volleyball episode (I think it's episode 39) is gloriously animated.

Return to “Old Stickies”