What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:25 pm

Yuki Yuna was straight inspiring. Great character work, music and art. Glad people posted about it here, otherwise I wouldn't have picked it up.

EDIT: Though now that I go back and read Tines' spoilered posts I realize there were bits I didn't understand.

SPOILER: Show
So what, the main characters are relieved of their duties and a new group will deal with vertex leaks in the future? Will those groups be in similar danger?

Hm, looking back at summaries it looks like I've misunderstood the nature of the world too. I was under the impression Shikoku exists somehow separated from the rest of the world, which is replete with vertices, and shinju-sama puts up borders to keep them out. The Yuusha are necessary to harness Shinjuu's power to repel vertices every once in a while (I haven't read the prequel manga). How wrong am I here?
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:50 pm

^
You're pretty on-target about the nature of Shikoku. The Shinju-sama is forming a barrier between Shikoku and the rest of Earth; everything outside the barrier has been destroyed by the Vertices.

Basically at some point in the past the gods decided to destroy all of humanity, and the ones which still sided with humanity formed the Shinju-sama to preserve the survivors. The Vertices are products of the hostile gods aiming to exterminate the remnants of humanity by taking out the Shinju-sama, and the girls have to repel them/destroy them to stop that.

As for the fate of the main characters, it seems they have been relieved of duty but when the Vertices return another group will have to take their place and they will probably be in similar danger. The Shinju-sama was able to return the girls' sacrifices because it got some power from the big Leo Vertex Yuna knocked down in the final battle, but unless the next group can do something similar their Mankai sacrifices will be permanent.The Sonoko After light novel implies that the Taisha actually intend to make the whole Hero system available to all girls around that age (and the possibility of revealing the whole thing to the public is mentioned in Episode 8) but it's unclear whether that would be a good thing or not because not everyone would be able to handle the truth; furthermore allowing anyone to become a Hero runs the risk of creating a Madoka Magica-type situation in which some people use their powers for good while others use them for evil and might even try to destroy humanity in the way Togo did.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:41 am

It's worth tracking down the fan translations, stilted though the translation might be.

Yuusha system v3 infodump  SPOILER: Show
—The introduction of the advanced Hero system. They say as long as we have this it will be okay. Apparently, the next update will be mass-production.
—What about Sange?
— Gone. The fact that it can be mass-produced means that an invincible barrier is no longer feasible. Sacrifices will no longer be required, but in return the heroes will be weaker than before. However, everyone will be able to fight~. I think that any young girl will be able to transform, as long as they remain pure. That's just me speculating, though. I don't know exactly what kind of system they'll be implementing after all~
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:29 am

^
That sounds nice. Weaker power might mean an increase in fatalities but at least they won't have to worry about getting crippled anymore.

Let's just hope they don't decide to make another season and pull a Rebellion -o-;

And I'm nothing like you

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:52 pm

Is Yuki Yuna really any good? I see it being talked about a lot. I read the plot synopsis, and it sounds generic as fuck. People on this forum that know me well, is this worth my time?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Psycho Pass episode 1

First things first: seeing the criminal rape his victim in a supposedly mainstream anime felt surreal to me since I usually get my fill of that in hentai. Akane is a sympathetic rookie who you root for despite whatever rookie mistake she makes because you know deep down that she's gonna toughen up in time. Kogami is a mystery as well as the rival whose name I forget and the other characters haven't really made an impression on me aside from the humorless boss.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:40 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Is Yuki Yuna really any good? I see it being talked about a lot. I read the plot synopsis, and it sounds generic as fuck. People on this forum that know me well, is this worth my time?

I would say it is worth watching; it seems pretty generic on the surface but it's actually pretty emotional and moving, especially in later episodes.

And I'm nothing like you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:26 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:People on this forum that know me well, is this worth my time?
But Brik, you don't even like Planetes!

Otherwise, I said my piece here.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Atropos » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:18 am

Dude, that show touched your friggin' soul. Admit it. :D

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:27 pm

Cross Ange episode 18

Jill going bonkers with power trying to make Ange see things her way is not a good look for her in the moralistic department so really hoping she dies a horrible death. Hilda putting the moves on Ange in the shower was SO HOT! I think Ange LIKED IT, despite any denial she may have on bisexuality. Drunk Emma with her Perolina doll was hilarious and acknowledging that she was too harsh on Normas was right of her.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:51 pm

the fucking QUALITY of this episode. I thought I was watching Sailor Moon Crystal.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:17 am

So yeah, i started watching this somewhat infamous anime, OreImo, a bunch of days ago. And i'm glad i did, because where i expected to be little more than an anime best-seller with fanservice, i found a sweet story of a teenager trying to work out her feelings and accept her own hobbies despite the environment she lives in, coupled with some mending of broken sibling relationships and some exploration of otaku culture.

It certainly helps that the characters are, both visually and narratively, very appealing. If i didn't feel so self-conscious about post length I'd probably end up gushing on what i like and dislike about every character. It has been a long time (Kill la Kill) since an anime made me feel like that.

Now, certainly the show isn't without it's issues. I'm not even referring to the fact this isn't exactly Nadia or Eva (Anyone expecting/demanding that from this show would be better served elsewhere, really) but even as purely entertainment light-hearted drama it's sweetness can a lot of the time turn into saccharine and the writing can feel rather contrived at times ranging from primary plot points hinging on unlikely turn of events to feeling overly simplistic at times. The animation and line-usage being rather clumsy at times only reinforce "you're watching a cheap melodrama" feeling that sometimes nags at the back of my mind when watching the series.

Kirino's Dad is probably the character that suffers the most of the "overly simplistic" flaws although that's just probably me reading things into his character that weren't intended. Another example is how in the first episode Kirino's modeling job is introduced as a secret yet in the third episode the writing acts as if it was common knowledge for their family. Up so far i think the climax of episode 3 has been the most visible example of all these flaws within the show and the occasionally melodramatic ("I WON'T DROP THEM, THEY'RE PART OF MY SOUL") presentation of the whole otaku lifestyle thing.

But none of that really matters when i see Kirino's face light up the moment she starts talking about some strange otaku eroge or fawning over her collection. Even if it's a bit strange, such love and passion for something is just adorable. Similar things could be said about the tactiturn Kyousuke going throught all sort of things to provide support to her little sister, making the few times he actually smiles all the more meaningful. The story might be simple, but it's very sweet. And i like to think that the sentiments behind it, even if they get a bit off-key at times, are honest (maybe it's even further proof of their honesty). At the very least you can tell they really enjoy all the digs at the otaku lifestyle.

So yeah, starting the show i expected a completely shallow product with little more going for it than cute girls and sexy art/designs, and instead found a set of genuinely likeable characters within an engaging story as well as cute girls and sexy art. Sadly going by some reviews here a while back it seems the show goes progressively downhill before culminating in a trainwreck but at least for now i'm very happy to have watched it.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:06 am

The show starts focusing too much of a harem aspect if you really want to know:
culminating in her marrying her brother
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:08 am

Stop while you still can.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:24 am

Over the past year or so I been really getting into the Megami Tensei series.
Since everyone seems ga-ga over these Persona games and I don't own Playstation anything
I decided to do the next best thing, check out the anime version!

Persona 4 The Golden Animation
There seems to be more anime adaptations of the other games
I shall watch them after I finish P4
Last edited by Dataprime on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:26 am

Emulators are your friend.
i recommend either persona 3 FES or persona 3 portable because female MC is win
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:11 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Over the past year or so I been really getting into the Megami Tensei series.
Since everyone seems ga-ga over these Persona games and I don't own Playstation anything
I decided to do the next best thing, check out the anime version!

Persona 4 The Golden Animation
There seems to be more anime adaptations of the other games
I shall watch them after I finish P4

please, please for don't watch that abomination, watch a play through of the game on youtube over watching that garbage. the only good episodes in that adaption are the Adachi episodes (and even those episodes are brought down by them pushing Marie down your throat) if you do want to watch a anime adaptation watch the original persona 4 the animation at least while not nearly as good as the game and suffers from problems it's far better than that piece of shit golden anime. Still though watching a playthrough would be better than watching any anime adaptation.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:09 am

Gee is it really that bad?
Thats unfortunate news...

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:56 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:OreImo

Director Hiroyuki Kanbe was a guest at FanimeCon last year and was pretty popular. He was only alternating doodling Kirino and Kuroneko with his autograph, but I managed to get both with my sister's help lol. One of the color sketches he did sold at the charity auction for a couple $K IIRC.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:32 pm

It looks as if I forgot to write here that I finished Beast Player Erin. I could say much more, but really all that needs to be said is that it's marvellous. Yes, it can be slow, and repetitive. But like a Bruckner symphony the cumulative effect is that it builds and builds, inexorably. Just watch it, and your patience will be rewarded. Oh, and it's beautiful. And the repetitions are structural, not padding; often the different context throws a new light on them. Did I say: watch it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've said a lot of rude things about Death Note at various times, but people continue to like it. So I thought I'd give it another chance by watching the films. I've stopped barely half-way in to the first one, as the more compressed story-telling of the film format just emphasises all the things I didn't like before. The character of Light is obnoxious from the start, and the story built around him shows no signs of using him to teach us something about the bad side of humanity to justify the series's existence.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my lunch break today I rewatched Pupa - the whole of it, as it's only 36 minutes (37 with a single OP and ED). I liked it as much now as when I first saw it, and no less for having read the manga (which has more detail and explanation to the story, but doesn't really add anything essential). People criticised it for being so brief, but I think the compression only focusses the mind more; I can't imagine it done with even as few as six full-size episodes.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Old Stickies”