Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:dude we know Ranka lost

she is still best girl
I won't argue with you about it, it's too volatile a subject. I will say that she lost in the best way possible, like Minmay. That's worth a lot.

Not sure what to watch next. Might take a break and just finish on learning grorious nihongo while watching currently airing stuff.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Heads up, this post will have unmarked spoilers since IO already led the discussion down that route.

View Original PostKatana wrote:Just finished watching Abenobashi and I'm about to start FLCL.

When it comes to very good series almost ruined by single episode I can't ever come up with example more blatant or more painful than Abenobashi. Fucking gainax endings.

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:guys, I think this reminds me of something

It's not like I want to sound any more faggy than I usually do on these matters but this scene was genuinely painful watch for me. Though I have absolutely no idea what it reminds you of.

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Regarding the ending: I've read that Kawamori confirmed that Alto is alive, and upon his return Sheryl makes a full recovery, and that he was shocked that fans interpreted the ending as a bad one. I'm all about word of god, especially when it validates an outcome I was earnestly hoping for, but if the story ended before these things could happen and the tone (at least pertaining to Alto/Sheryl) is interpreted by many as downcast, does it really matter? I still think it does, but if I had to read something to be fully at peace with the ending, there's cause for doubt.

Well I'm completely with him on this. The issue is that many thought the final Macross Cannon barrage from half-dozen Quarters or so wiped out the Vajra Queen and Alto with it. Why this boggles me so is that it's very clearly shown the Queen warps the fuck out before the beams hit - and even if there's some room left for cofusion here Ranka's closing monologue about Vajra as well as how she speaks of Alto and lyrics for Hoshikira don't make much sense if Alto and Queen croaked. So yeah. I love the skillful, meticulous use of music in construction of the film narrative that reveal surprising layers of depth (one reason why Sayonara asks for rewatches though not only one) and that actually culminates in the ending scroll. Film's not over yet and the remainder of narrative is told during the credits, largerly through music. But as for Sheryl at very end of Hoshikira we see signs of Ranka's song trigger reaction hinting at Sheryl waking from her sleep (focus on the earring) and THEN we get to the musical epilogue to the whole thing dshudistab which is really upbeat, happy song about relationship of two idols ending the feature on high note. To be precise it takes place after Sheryl as woken from her coma and she and Ranka do a gig together. I dunno, it shouldn't require much in terms of Japanese language proficiency to understand lines like "Iku wa yo, Ranka-chan" "Hai, Sheryl-san!".

Final scene ends with the paper airplane lifting up to skies carrying Ranka's "prayer" to wherever Alto is with it in a shot that is more symbolic than anything. The film opens with the shot of this very airplane "traveling" through the vacuum of space with voice over narration describing the situation of three lead characters at end of story. Where does this airplane lead to? To a church with bride Sheryl waiting for the groom to show up. On first viewthrough it's just misleading intro to Kindan no Elixir (love those proggy keyboards yo) but on rewatch it becomes really clever, somewhat metaish "nod" to fact Alto will eventually come back and they get married and shit. Basically wtfmindblown.

So there's ample amount of hints in film itself. Second mistake to make is to underestimate the general metaness of Frontier project at large and enormous importance the music carries. I just said dshudistab is the final note on the story but that isn't quite true, the film soundtrack comes afterwards and adds two tracks after dshudistab that reflect where Ranka and Sheryl ended up at. F Refrain ends with Ranka singing the most hauntingly empty AiObo ever (meaning of this not too mysterious) while Sheryl is send off with one final version of Diamond Crevasse that crucially changes one line and how she's no longer alone in the world.

Also the cosmic cuune Christmas album that came ou few months before Sayonara no Tsubasa has tons of foreshadowing the way the anime ends and character growth and relationships. "Merry Christmas Without You" sounds pretty dickheaded before one realizes it's about Christmas without one particular character indeed.

Of course this extends to the massive Budokan concerts which in fact are legit parts of MacF's narrative. The 2010 Christmas Concert had frame story about Christmas party and concert Sheryl and Ranka held some year Alto wasn't around for "some reason" (hence Merry Christmas Without You) which bordered on spoilering the ending of films months before premiere.

Then the gigantic Macross Crossover Live this month had absolutely surreal, fragmented frame story and at the end of the concert it was revealed in-universe the whole thing was a dream Coma Fairy was having. It was also confirmed she was waking up from it and that Alto was returning.

So basically we need to go deeper and not everyone did. All the crucial hints and information is in the film itself but all the extra material leaves no room for confusion, whatever Kawamori has said or left unsaid.

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Also, I loved the connections with Zero in the movie. Plus is still my favorite entry in the franchise, but Frontier is close.

I think you now know why I had you see Zero before Frontier. :lol:

Choosing the best Makurossu is bit like choosing the one you love the most among your children. I mean, even if one is retarded and other was born with hideous physical defects they're all still your kids y'know. Still, if I'm forced to go all Aryan eugenist on them Frontier films » Plus Film = Plus OVA = Frontier TV » DYRL » SDFM » Zero » Dynamite 7 » 7 Film » 7 TV » II OVA

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:That last scene with Rider and Gilgamesh was beyond my wildest expectations

Easily the best episode in the series, yeah. Truly majestic scene and one of the year's best in any series. You dun goofed though watching this before playing FSN because Fate/Zero spoils many of its best and most shocking tweeests.

View Original PostJune wrote:Nope.
SPOILER: Show

Klan Klan is walking sack of every fetish known to man, only kimoi otaku looking for ultimate fapbait would choose her. :tongue:

Oh, wait.

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I won't argue with you about it, it's too volatile a subject. I will say that she lost in the best way possible, like Minmay. That's worth a lot.

Huh? Anyway, she has her song fans

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Not sure what to watch next. Might take a break and just finish on learning grorious nihongo while watching currently airing stuff.

Finish learning grorious nihongo? That takes 6-7 years in full focus mode on uni. :hahaha:

Well, there's always Karamazov of anime left: Macross 7 in its whole, unadulterated glory. You've passed the gnostic rites, might as well get intimate with God now.

Alternatively I second my earlier recommendation for more Macross-except-not in form of AKB0048, one of the best series of 2012. It's Macross with love triangle replaced by No Fun Policce and idol guerilla wars. Basically it's bastard love child that resulted from Kawamori fucking female Basara on crack and äfter birth the kid was adopted by Frontier Foster home where it had happy childhood untill russian mob known as AKB48 marketing team came and kidnapped him.

The only considerable hurdle for viewer to overcome is to accept the 3D pig disgusting CG models used for aidoru in most music scenes out of necessity (have fun animating complex choreographies for 10+ idols almost episode by episode). Which kinda sucks bit too often though not always and it helps the scenes are directed well per se. Sasuga Kawamori idol bullshit.

Also it starts to feature bizarre rambles on Jungian concepts and the unity of identity reached in concerts as modern manifestation of fevered religious matsuris of past overseen by miko or some such wacky LOLKAWAMORI shit. Which is to say it's awesome.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:10 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Finish learning grorious nihongo? That takes 6-7 years in full focus mode on uni. :hahaha:
I meant to write focus. Not sure how I switched the two.

I did finish reading f/sn before watching f/z. It was painful at times; really wish there was a way to let me speed up the text, but I couldn't really justify watching the prequel first. It seemed silly. I'm a sucker for mythology (was big into it when I was younger) and Zero's focus on the figures as they were spoken of in history was more fun for me than it was in f/sn.

The scene that cap reminded me of was the one in DYRL where Hikaru gives Minmay the lyrics.

I seem to bring on a lot of misunderstanding when I try to use as few words as possible, but even more when I write something a little more lengthy. I'm going to tread carefully from here on so I don't inexplicably switch one word for another or some other such foolishness.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:13 am

Dangan Ronpa episode 4
so much subtlety

but yeah I enjoyed the episode new opening was hilarious and I am looking forward to next week since
our friendly neighborhood serial killer gets animated
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:55 pm

man, the Watamote show really crushes the heart. OP and ED of the year, though.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:07 pm

^I second that.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:16 am

What happened to these recent batch of Yamato 2199 episodes? It's like their animation budget tripled. Some of it is like high budget movie quality.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:48 am

So there's this Katsuhiro Otomo anime anthology called Memories
you've probably heard of it, but here's a xardpost for everyone anyway

Episode 1 - Magnetic Rose [title card]
smooth jazz saxophone! Yoko Kanno! in space!
I'll start with what sticks out: Magnetic Rose is equal shades 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris (1972), and also a little of Macross Plus and Otomo's earlier The Order to Stop Construction in certain regards. As a result of Kanno's presence the first seven or so minutes feels a little like Bebop regardless of the fact that it had not yet been made. But I digress.
Magnetic Rose, I suppose, can be broken down into a few key points: the crew of a space garbage hauler identify an emergency signal, it's coming from a region of space that they'd rather avoid, only because they've heard it they are obliged by maritime law to answer it. The twist: the emergency signal is the voice of a woman singing opera. The two engineers, Heintz and Miguel, go on a rescue mission. Here is Heintz's face:

ImageApparently they have to record their identification and why they are there before they go in. In case there is an accident or something, I suppose. It is a good idea, but one you'd never see on Star Trek.

And so begins the sort of ghost story atmosphere that you would expect from any episode of Star Trek when somebody has to look around on an abandoned or wrecked ship. And, like Star Trek, our pair of rescuers eventually decide to split up to cover more ground and save time. As you should be well aware, decisions like these do not have good outcomes in science fiction - as the audience we're safe, so we keep watching. But I'm a bit ahead of myself.
The ship - or station - still has its internal atmosphere going, the elevator still works, and upon inspection the interior the interior is rather lavishly decorated. It all appears to be a monument to a distinguished opera singer from years past - and it is the vision of this woman that occupies this space, both physically and psychologically.

more pictures because i'm nice  SPOILER: Show

I am not going to say much more about the story, though it is my favourite of the three shorts, so I'll offer a few notes:

spoilurz  SPOILER: Show
a) if you have seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, or The Order to Stop Construction, you should be as aware as I am that computers, left to their own devices in isolation, are not to be trusted
b) if you have seen Solaris (the original, not the remake), you should be as aware as I am that, in deep space, visions and/or manifestations of beautiful women are not to be trusted.

having said that, I advise allowing yourself a moment to observe the plight of the other guy
as I'm sure you will agree, he dead

As a note on the aforementioned similarity to Macross Plus, I am referring to the character of Sharon Apple. It is worthwhile however to observe that Sharon Apple, who had ambitions of world domination through the power of song, is in a different league to the echo of Eva Friedal. Eva Friedal - who uses an emergency signal as bait to lure unsuspecting victims to her gargantuan space rose so that she can sap their memories and their desires to claim new vessels for the memory of her beloved Carlo, whom she murdered after he decided to back out of her marriage, and in said 'memory' Eva's Carlo never changed his mind. Conclusion: Eva Friedal eats men for breakfast and is not waifu material

I found the animation of this short to be nothing short of superb, and as was the case in those days, the computer-assisted sequences are fine; although it could be obvious where the computers where helping out, I did not find it at all awkward or out of place.
If you have not yet had a reason to see Memories, I can safely say that you should not find yourself disappointed by Magnetic Rose. It also has lazors. Lazors!

It's good stuff  SPOILER: Show

Episode 2 - Stink Bomb [title card]
oh no!

Stink Bomb is not high art. It's probably not art, either. But it is funny, probably borderline hilarious, if you like the kind of stories where the inept employee somehow becomes the cause of a national epidemic. I do not believe there are many of those stories, so I'll elaborate: Nobuo Tanaka, who works at a medical research facility, has the flu. It's not going very well for Nobuo - he's already had his shot, and the over-the-counter stuff he's been taking hasn't helped. So a co-worker makes a recommendation: 'borrow' some experimental pills from the boss's office.
How the epidemic unfolds is a rather unsurprising tale - but having said that there is an epidemic, and that our character becomes the cause of it, rather than being the cause of it, I've probably spoiled plot of the story. But that's okay - because Stink Bomb isn't really a story about plot, or complexity: it is a comic tale. To illustrate my point, here are some pics (yay pics) from when Nobou is recommended to the pill's in the boss's office, and scene in said boss's office:

PICS YA HEAR  SPOILER: Show
Fellow on the side with a tissue to his face is Nobou. Note the detail here: blue capsules in the red case. CAN YOU GUESS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT???

:nod:

:|

:um:

DO NOT HIRE THIS MAN

So anyway, he takes the pill, things happen off-screen, and when he awakes ... everyone in the joint is unconscious. The alarm was turned off though, so he turns it on, talks to the boss of the company - who tells him to bring the medicine and the documents to Tokyo and not tell anyone about it or that he works for the company. Fiasco ensues, as do discussions between officials in a NERV-like command centre. It's all very over-the-top, following the unbelievable for the sake of it, but I don't feel it overstayed its welcome.

I am skipping over a few lines of dialogue between those two shots, but I think you get the point: Stink Bomb is something unusual indeed

As to how Stink Bomb fares when compared to the entries in Otomo's other film anthologies, I think I can forgive its simplicities on account of how unusual its premise is, and how once it recognises it is going beyond the point of believability, it does not stop and it doesn't hold back. It goes with it, and so should you.

Episode 3 - Cannon Fodder [no pics for this one][/url]
Nineteen Eighty-Four!

Cannon Fodder is is the third and final short in Memories I have not taken any screenshots of. Or at least not yet. Anyway, this is the one that is directed by Otomo himself, but in contrast to his previous outings, the illustrated style employed here is fairly distinguished from his other works and probably also from a fair few other titles around that time and since.
Cannon Fodder is a short day-in-the-life-of style stories that isn't really there to tell some grand narrative, instead its aim is to paint a portrait of a society through a few short glimpses into the daily lives of a father, mother, and son. In this regard, the title is descriptive, and playful: the entire society is fortress, and from the exterior shots that were are shown, every building either has a turret built into the top or has been built out of a turret; their lives revolve around the operation of said turrets: the father works in a turret operation time, the mother works on an ammunition plant, and at the school the teacher is lecturing the students on how trigonometry is required to aim the turrets, etc.
All of the machinery shown in this short steam-powered by the way, and there is a a fair presence of computer-assisted animation - it is used or the motion of set pieces, either by the movement of the machines or of the surroundings that the characters move through. Now that I think of it, speaking it reminds me a little of the laying of campus in The Adolescence of Utena (aesthetically speaking, that is) - but stylistically speaking, it is clear evidence of the direction that Otomo would move towards for Steam Boy (2004).
As a last note on Cannon Fodder, it is fairly plain that there is some social commentary going on - and by noting George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, I am mostly referring to the Goldstein book sections therein, for the exposition in those sections are more or less applicable to the society that Otomo has set up here. Not that it should surprise anyone that the novel could have inspired Otomo's in this short (and the manga it was based from), but let us not forget we're talking about the creator of Akira, and so Cannon Fodder is not at all a departure from his form.

So yeah, go see Memories. Or don't.
It's your choice, really.

Just don't make that psycho-woman your waifu. Or if you do, don't say it here, because I'll tease you about it. And because maybe she's mine. Now shoo, shoo! I've watched an anime! leave me alone!
Voluntary Illusion.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:53 am

Magnetic Rose was one of the most stimulating things I've seen. I watched it three years ago and I thought that it was bloody amazing.

As to what I'm watching right now, I'm getting Hellsing ULTIMATE V-VII in the mail today. The watching spree shall continue!

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:What happened to these recent batch of Yamato 2199 episodes? It's like their animation budget tripled. Some of it is like high budget movie quality.

orly? I meant to follow 2199 but real life distracted me before I got more than a few eps in, and now that I pick it back up I'm pretty impressed with how good-looking a cartoon this is right from the beginning. (Though the pacing is a little rough - has anyone seen the movie versions? if so, do they flow a little better?)
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:05 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:(Though the pacing is a little rough - has anyone seen the movie versions? if so, do they flow a little better?)
The 2199 films and episodes are one and the same, no differences except for the exclusion of repeating OP's + ED's.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:58 pm

Been waiting to be able to access Ep 19, looking forward to it.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:05 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:orly? I meant to follow 2199 but real life distracted me before I got more than a few eps in, and now that I pick it back up I'm pretty impressed with how good-looking a cartoon this is right from the beginning.

There seemed to be a lot more CG, and good looking CG. The battles looked pretty epic. The characters themselves looked pretty good from the start, just seemed the space animation looked even better.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:30 am

Finished Boogiepop Phantom: Great anime, a must watch in my opinion.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Katanagatari Episode 4:
Oh man that was a great troll you went even as far to animate the fight you'd never show in the preview , now that was a 10/10 troll. Also never forget the ninja insect bros :salute:

I've also started sword art online to experience it, as expected I enjoyed the first 3 episodes but after episode 3 it took a huge nosedive. Welp looks like my journey with Kirito jesus-Sama has just begun and I'm told it only gets worse from here.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:08 pm

Dropped Silver Spoon, show was too boring for me. Picked up Blood Lad on Ornette's recommendation, this one is balls to the wall crazy, good crazy, feels like Hataraku Maou-Sama on cocaine.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 am

The Madoka movies were great. I still can't really get behind Kyouko's backstory (something about it's delivery seems really awkward and forced to me) but that was the same in the TV series.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Yamato 2199 20-21

Ep 20 is so far the best combat ep in the series, better than the Yamato vs. the Gamilas fleet back in Ep 18. Unlike the previous ship vs. ship battles it's very old school World War II like, fighters, torpedo bombers, carrier flight ops, and of course the ships duking it out. Ep 21 is a good follow up.

Also I gotta say that the women in this series are certainly lookers, even the unnamed Zaltzi woman who gets some fan service in Ep 20.

And it doesn't stop there:
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Silver Spoon might just be one of the best shows this season

Fuck

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:51 pm

A Tree of Palme: Two hours of Salvador Dali's Pinocchio, 20 minutes of Akira. Phallic symbols everywhere. An arthouse endurance test that feels thrice as long as its running time.

And then there's this double feature of fail. I don't claim to be an expert in fictional worldbuilding, but even I can spot it when it's really badly done. I've already bitched about the first few episodes of Busou Shinki TV, and no, it doesn't get any better later on - it's still utterly soulless fan service shlock. Even more frustratingly, the later episodes do dabble with intriguing concepts like terrorist-programmed suicide bomber shinkis or underground shinki societies built by abandoned pet dolls, but it's all depressingly half-assed, and this world-transforming robot technology isn't explored or utilized in any meaningful way (nor is it played for laughs). Considering shinkis are small, armed AI robots not bound by Asimov's Three Laws, you'd think their ownership would be severely regulated, but nope, they can be bought and sold like Xboxes. Similarly, the underground shinki society episode implicitly raises the question of shinki personhood, considering their AIs are so advanced they could easily be categorized as persons, but again, the show does absolutely nothing with this. The "robots" are more like pixies, and everything is handwaved away as magic. It's a re-skinned show about Tinkerbell's dumb cousins living in slavery and forced to wear slutty clothes.

Tacticool shinki is the best girl by far, and the entire series should have been a vastly expanded version of the road movie episode in which she appears.

Are you sure you have enough hot glue?

Meanwhile, at the manlier and cyberpunky end of the anime spectrum, Viper's Creed suffers from its own crippling worldbuilding failures. First, the good: it's refreshing to see a show from 2009 try to be all old-school gritty and non-moe, and the Megazonesque cell-shaded motorcycle mechs look great in action, despite the show's obviously rather low budget. However, instead of enumerating what is broken with this series, it's probably easier to give you just one staggering example. The main characters are corporate motobot pilots who patrol the massive cyberpunk superhighways of the future. So far so good. Unfortunately, the show has some sort of stupid compulsion to justify these superhighways - apparently, they're the only feasible mode of transportation left after WWIII filled the atmosphere with aircraft engine busting nanomachines. That's somewhat silly, but I could live with it, considering how A Tale of Seven Cities used a similar conceit to enable wide-spread use of battleships in its flooded post global warming world. However, Viper's Creed doesn't do the sensible thing and stop there, oh no: apparently, the nanomachine warfare also ruined world's oceans for ship traffic, filling them with tiny glass shards or something, never the fuck mind that such an Ice-9 scenario should've probably wiped out all living things. It's utter nonsense - Bubblegum Crisis didn't feel like justifying its superhighways, and it chugged along quite perfectly. And the stupid doesn't end there. First of all, there's no internal consistency, as we see military choppers flying just fine in the last couple of episodes. Secondly, since the highways are the only mode of transportation left, you'd think they'd be packed with traffic, but that's not the case at all. In fact, you could have a really miserable drinking game with this show: take a sip every time you see a car or a truck. The roads are empty something like 96% of the time. God, I wish I could know if the staff ever discussed this tiny oversight. It's like watching 12 episodes of Cops in a row without a single domestic disturbance.

Fun fact: when a one-eyed person loses his eyesight completely, his piloting skills increase tenfold. Also, that's a hilarious choice of idiom in the translation.

Return to “Old Stickies”