What anime are you watching right now? Jan 2013

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm

View Original PostPractice wrote:I haven't actually ever watched through all of DBZ, but I just finished the Cell Games saga. I kinda don't want to finish the series because I'm pretty sure I'll just bawl my eyes out when it's over.

No you won't. You'll have this feeling of completeness ;)

I will say this...take a break and watch something else. Then go back and watch the buu saga. Give your mind a break
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:48 pm

Just finished watching Gantz, on recommendation from a friend.
I really didn't like it, it sucked a lot.
We are no longer friends.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:54 pm

He was never your friend in the first place.
Last edited by Fireball on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

bedlamite
Embryo

Postby bedlamite » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Gantz is one of these series which some people really like, but I'm not able to understand why.
Red things are always faster.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm reading the manga at the moment and absolutely loving it. Up to about volume 11. Kei Kurono rules hard.

Have no interest in checking out the anime adaptation though. From what I understand, the series only follows up to about volume eight or so doesn't it?

Practice
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Practice » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:21 pm

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:No you won't. You'll have this feeling of completeness ;)

I will say this...take a break and watch something else. Then go back and watch the buu saga. Give your mind a break

Yeah that's what I've been doing. Started in the middle of December; watch a saga, watch another series, rinse and repeat.
Phil 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

sum_exsanguis
Adam

Postby sum_exsanguis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Psycho-pass and C-Control...gf watched Kamisama Kiss (not as exciting)
No weapon against us shall prosper

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:09 am

Durarara!! Episodes 11-12.5 I can't tell if Durarara!! is more reference-rich than many other anime or if I've seen so much that I'm just noticing more references. So far I've got: Shakugan no Shana, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, Fullmetal Alchemist, Baccano! and Neon Genesis Evangelion. (I had a little "moment" with that last one.) I might be missing some that I did notice, but it's not like I'm keeping track. Apart from the second cameo in episode 12.5, there's another reference to Baccano! that I haven't seen people talk about:
SPOILER: Show
The master password that Mikado created for the Dollars website is "baccano".

Also, it turns out that the predictions I'd made before were completely wrong.
I seriously thought that they weren't lying about what happened to Mika Harima. When you're already dealing with a headless Irish death-faerie, the prospect of attaching a head to a foreign body doesn't really seem so impossible. XP Mikado's status as the creator of the Dollars was a great surprise as well. I should've expected no less from the creators of a show like Baccano!.

I decided to stop short of my planned five episodes tonight this morning, since A) I've reached the point where the OP and ED change, and B) It's already 3:00 AM here....
Last edited by riffraff11235 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:01 pm

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Just finished watching Gantz, on recommendation from a friend.
I really didn't like it, it sucked a lot.
We are no longer friends.

This is why you shouldn't listen to your friends. You should listen to your doctor. http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/gantz/
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:50 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I'm reading the manga at the moment and absolutely loving it. Up to about volume 11. Kei Kurono rules hard.

Have no interest in checking out the anime adaptation though. From what I understand, the series only follows up to about volume eight or so doesn't it?

There's two big problems with the gantz anime, one is that Gonzo's budget tanks about halfway through and the directing gets really shitty after that. Also they taked on an ending which was made of fail and incoherent.

Gantz is one of these series which some people really like, but I'm not able to understand why.

I did like the first twelve episodes but yeah it had a lot of problems after that.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:32 pm

Durarara!! Episodes 13-15 I've got my hunches about the Slasher now, but I'm ready to have them proven wrong. The interactions between Celty and Shinra are really enjoyable to watch! Stopping early again today. I'll probably finish this series sometime on Saturday.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Another

Didn't expect that person to be the extra one. Seriously, fiction has tought me I'm a horrible detective. Maybe I'm thinking too rational for such shows though. Well, it was entertaining in the non-intended way, I guess. Still, plenty of eye rolling that hindered it to be genuinely suspenseful which is a pity, was the atmosphere the strongest part.

Verdict:

Man, it sure is hot in India today.

Another: The Other - Inga

Yuri, Yuri everywhere.

On another note, Zipang is pretty good so far, I just wonder if it can manage too hold the pacifistic approach without getting stale.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Cybersix.

That was an awesome show when I was a kid. It was one of those weird Japanese X Canadian shows, but it definitely has an anime look to it and it had really nice animation too. It was only 13 episodes long though, mostly because parents complained of the gender swapping main character. It played on YTV a lot when I was eight and I always wondered if the main characters boobs just sucked into her chest during the daytime.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:01 am

Durarara!! Episodes 16-20 It's all coming together now. I've really enjoyed watching the tone of the whole show change gradually over time along with my understanding of each character. Can't wait to finish it tomorrow!
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:22 am

Recently transferred my old TV recordings of DragonBall Z to DVD, so had a little nostalgia binge.
    The Ocean group's Saiyan saga remains an utter joy to watch. Randy Disher is Raditz. Dimensions lol. Mr. Popo is black and beautiful. I hate being hit....Panther soundz. THAT'S NOT FAIR. Way too many clips to link to.
    The script may be about as faithful and accurate as an adulterous, blind archer, but the damned cartoon was entertaining.
    Drummond's Vegeta and the Australian accents keep the Namek saga fun.
    Frieza saga... lordy... the killjoy Faulconer soundtrack... and those 5 minutes.
View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:DBZ Abridged ... even though its a parody
    Careful with that word, it actually suggests there's some humour to be found in that series.

View Original PostFireball wrote:Another: The Other - Inga
Yuri, Yuri everywhere.
    Glad you found this amusing, FB. That OVA put my heart through a blender.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:23 am

Hey!

I think its funny. :sniffle:

(Although technically I guess parodies can be non-humorous in nature, and meant more as an ironic commentary etc.)

All the DBZ chat prompted me to give Bardock: The Father of Goku a rewatch.

Man I forgot how much DBZ could be set up like a Greek epic or something sometimes. I'm not saying its of the same quality of the stories of Homer or Statius, but it kind of made why exactly DBZ was interesting to me as a child beyond the fighting.

Like Bardock has a tragic flaw, there's a seer that predicts the future, popular characters are present in atypical forms (IE as children in this case), there's a nigh unstoppable tyrant that will kill Bardock if he faces against him etc.

Shit this the anime version of Achilles in some ways.

Also Nappa had hair. Wtf.

EDIT: Dah, I forgot Statius was a Roman, not a Greek. Derp.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

A Brikhaus today, will keep the shitty away. BD

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:28 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote: You should listen to your doctor.

Indeed. You gave me every reason I needed to avoid OkumiDen, which I was otherwise being lead to believe was one of the best DS games out there.

Only wish you did more DS games, as there was no one to tell me how boring Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon would be. The lack of story and gameplay mechanics I had grown used to having in later versions made it both frustrating and tedious. It's like what they say "You really don't notice it, until there's a black hole sucking up all your ability to enjoy life."

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 4

Speaking of bores, the writers evidently think that they're writing a Greco-Roman play, as they seem to forgo writing any scenes that involve actual combat, only alluding to when it occurred.

The show is making frequent break of the rule "show, don't tell" with characters speaking actions that may have been interesting but that we didn't get to see. At all.

Meh, maybe they'll mix things up for this "war" that's about to happen.

In other aspects, forced coupling of the leads is still boring, and their relationship has somehow begun to make even less sense. The Hero is avoiding the Demon king because he doesn't want to see the Demon King cry after he dies in combat, which is why he keeps fighting in combat.

Female warrior is substituting in a job we didn't know the Hero had been doing before. She also built a crystal house for some reason. And The only remotely interesting character in the show, older serf girl, is thinking of taking up arms. Why? Don't know, but maybe she'll plug actual intrigue into the damn plot. I suspect revenge is on her agenda.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

busterbeam
Adam

Postby busterbeam » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:01 am

Ashita no Joe.

It's very good and deserves every bit of its success.
aaaaaa

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:33 am

View Original Postbusterbeam wrote:Ashita no Joe.

Tatake, Tatake, TATAKEEE!
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

busterbeam
Adam

Postby busterbeam » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:39 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Tatake, Tatake, TATAKEEE!

Oh shit I love that theme song so much (and the first opening in general). http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwxf4v ... P1v3PIwLTo

About halfway they switch to a different opening animation made up of existing episode footage. It's more plot-relevant at that point but it just isn't as stylish.
aaaaaa

Return to “Old Stickies”