WTF is yer avatar & sig from?! (f)

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:00 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:See their arguments for Concurrency (or rather, against it). The only Eva-related point where they strongly disagree concerns Asuka's value as a character.

Well Concurrency is a good point... but really, Tines doesn't really come of as EoE or DC "hater" to me and he seems to just consider it very depressing bad end which leaves other merits it might have. Besides, if not liking EoE qualifies for a reason I'd have to add Shinchan there too which is just lol idea.

EGF is quite hivemindish on most qualities of Eva anyway.

Tines is more off a old school geek schooled on the proud traditions of tabletop RPGs and SF books to me while NemZ is predominantly a gamer as far as I can tell. That alone creates many differences in viewpoints regarding geeky things IMO.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Note I wasn't saying they're the same by any stretch. I was just noting that they have similar viewpoints on Eva, and I think they do (or rather, they're lone dissenters on common points, such as the rottenness of EoE Shinji, a hard separation on the two endings, the view that Instrumentality was successful in the TV end, etc). The main difference seems to be in their views of Eva ladies; Tines is hot for Ritz and fatherly towards Asuka, while NemZ is more of a Rei fan and dislikes Asuka. But apart from that they have a lot in common when it comes to Eva.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:40 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:You guys do tend to agree on a lot of stuff, so it seemed oddly fitting to me. :lol:

Yeah... that's also part of why it was weirding me out. :lol:

The main difference seems to be in their views of Eva ladies; Tines is hot for Ritz and fatherly towards Asuka, while NemZ is more of a Rei fan and dislikes Asuka.

Yep, pretty much (though Maya is my eva waifu of choice, unlikely as that may be) and in terms of political views, though I tend to be more moderate than Tines according to that graph thread from forever ago. We both tend to antiship LAS, me because I think Rei deserves him regardless of squick and Tines because he thinks Asuka deserves much better than Shinji. And the EoTV = Gendo wins transhumanism good end fanclub / EoE = world over, GG, you get nothing, good day sir.

And yeah, I've done my share of old school tabletop RPGs and sci fi reading, though not in Tines' league.

I don't really hate EoE... it's fine for what it is. I do hate Shinji's characterization in it and I get very annoyed at the retcon's inevitable result that makes newer fans discount the original ending. I'd prefer EoE didn't exist (or that the original 25 script had been produced leading to 26 as intended), but it's still somewhat enjoyable on it's own terms.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:36 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:We both tend to antiship LAS, me because I think Rei deserves him regardless of squick and Tines because he thinks Asuka deserves much better than Shinji.

Just out of curiosity, in which way does Rei "deserves" Shinji? I don't really care either way (although i think it would be better if Shinji ended up alone) But i just found it an odd choice of words.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Yeah, probably not the best phrasing. I'm just saying she deserves to be happy and Shinji seems to be just about the only person who makes her that way. Maybe as a couple, maybe as a family if that squicks you out. Either way, the two of them should stick together since just about nobody else really gives a damn about them. On the other hand Asuka is a destructive influence on both of them so she really needs to be elsewhere, whether it's her fault she acts that way or not.

...and why are you still here? Go away already. :lol:
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:20 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Yeah, probably not the best phrasing. I'm just saying she deserves to be happy and Shinji seems to be just about the only person who makes her that way. Maybe as a couple, maybe as a family if that squicks you out. Either way, the two of them should stick together since just about nobody else really gives a damn about them. On the other hand Asuka is a destructive influence on both of them so she really needs to be elsewhere, whether it's her fault she acts that way or not.

The funny thing is that your explanation is exactly why I think Shinji and Asuka have a shot post-3I, even though she's way out of his league and they both know each other's dirty little secrets. Of course, I tend to think Asuka would settle down a lot once she had the opportunity to heal and got some much-needed attention. No one likes to think they're worthless or unneeded, after all; she just self-destructs loudly instead of quietly when she's made to feel that way. But if you take that away . . . well, it will take awhile, of course, but I imagine she could become a lot less abrasive with time.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:37 pm

I think they're worse off then they were at the start of EoE and they won't live anywhere near long enough to work those issues out, so that argument is a non-starter with me, Bags.

Granting for the sake of argument a buttload of 'Ifs' to make any of that feasible however, I still think it's far more likely they go their own ways and end up with completely unrelated people... if anyone at all.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

The next iteration... BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:15 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Yep, pretty much (though Maya is my eva waifu of choice, unlikely as that may be) and in terms of political views, though I tend to be more moderate than Tines according to that graph thread from forever ago.

I suspect we (myself and Tines) do have differences in that regard, but as it stands, I've yet to find one. In terms of Eva canon, the only real separation I have with him his on Concurrency. Besides that, we've both trolled SSD and the Kawrou shippers in the past, among other things.

We both tend to antiship LAS, me because I think Rei deserves him regardless of squick and Tines because he thinks Asuka deserves much better than Shinji.

^ My sentiment exactly, though it's somewhat broadened for me to say "Asuka has the qualities Shinji needs, but not the life experience necessary to manifest those qualities in a constructive manner".

In short, the shortcomings go both ways, my criticism isn't strictly on the boy.

@topic: What I'm thinking of for next year.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 am

having an Eva waifu is a terrible idea. You're not supposed to fuck with crazy.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:39 pm

SPOILER: Show

We interrupt our regular Rei programming to bring you greyscaled normalcy.
Man, I still can't believe that SZS ended this year.

And it's not even a perfect square!
Shaved off 3 pixels in height, but with only 125x125 available to me it should look a little different from the usual 1:1 width to height ratio.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:51 pm

It's weird to not see Rei but it's a cute avatar nonetheless.I need to start Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:57 pm

"Let's do panzer tonight, Erwin!"
"Ohh Fireball, and I will leave my hat on!"

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:26 pm

JIIIIIIIIIII :liplick:

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:36 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:JIIIIIIIIIII :liplick:

I second this. Does this mean I have to start watching Girls Und Panzer now?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Hey, isn't November the month that some of you folks stick that curleh moustache to your avatar because of that video you all watched some years back?

View Original PostFireball wrote:"Let's do panzer tonight, Erwin!"
"Ohh Fireball, and I will leave my hat on!"

bring back Haman
Voluntary Illusion.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:41 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Hey, isn't November the month that some of you folks stick that curleh moustache to your avatar because of that video you all watched some years back?

What video would that be?
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:51 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:What video would that be?

This.. kind of

And the Avatar template

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:54 pm

No, this one.

And yes, it's Movember so time for mustaches.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:02 pm

My avatar already has a slight 'stache. Does that count or should I edit a handlebar onto it.

@ZapX I didn't think ducks could do that.... Carry on, then.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Asuka has a stache.

And is still Kawaii As Fuck.

Return to “Old Stickies”