What anime are you watching right now? Sep2011-May2012

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:27 am

Picked up Gundam Wing, as it's there on Crunchy. Three episodes in, I have gathered that the Gundam pilots are unlikeable superhuman teenage brats (oh hai, I upgraded ur newtypes); and Relena is giving me very strong Asuka vibes (and yes, I know that she's universally hated). I think I preferred the 80s animation of the UC classics to the 90s style here.

Being the best part of a month behind on even the airing shows, I'm rather glad no-one here seems to be discussing any of the titles I'm watching: it's bad enough to have to keep hiding Miniskirt Pirates threads on /a/ to keep away from spoilers.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:40 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Being the best part of a month behind on even the airing shows, I'm rather glad no-one here seems to be discussing any of the titles I'm watching: it's bad enough to have to keep hiding Miniskirt Pirates threads on /a/ to keep away from spoilers.

Kato Marika's mom is actually her dad.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Mr. Tines picks up a gundam series and slams it only three episodes in. Come now, at least wait until half way through when upgrades start happening.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:17 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Picked up Gundam Wing, as it's there on Crunchy. Three episodes in, I have gathered that the Gundam pilots are unlikeable superhuman teenage brats (oh hai, I upgraded ur newtypes); and Relena is giving me very strong Asuka vibes (and yes, I know that she's universally hated). I think I preferred the 80s animation of the UC classics to the 90s style here.

lolwhat

Give it some more time, it gets a bit better after a while. Definitely not on the top of the list of my Gundam favorite series, but it's not as bad as you make it sound.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:26 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Mr. Tines picks up a gundam series and slams it

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:Give it some more time, it gets a bit better after a while.

I think you are interpreting my remarks rather more harshly than I intended. It's just that from what I've been shown so far, simply because one lot have the Gundams doesn't mean I'm immediately going to be rooting for their team. Tell me there are Bright-slaps (or local equivalent) in their futures.

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:lolwhat
There's just something about what I've seen of her so far that triggers Asuka-associations for me.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Wing has some redeeming features:

- Several strong, independent females with tasteful character designs
- Excellent grunt mecha designs
- Treize's ridiculously overblown fabulous mastermind shtick
- Duo is a fun guy
- I like the endless waltz metaphor, and the OAV has some good animation

Other than that, it's a rather "meh" show. The Gundams are gaudy, and the pilots have plot armor up the ass. The plot is nonsensical mess of faction-switching, and the whole thing ends with "a wizard did it" cop-out.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Coincidentally enough I just finished Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz

So far this is the Gundam series I enjoyed the least. It's not outright bad but it doesn't really have anything going for it. Story? Lolpolitics. Action? Plenty but the animation is limited (Endless Waltz has great animation though) and choreography is usually grunt units lining up to get wrecked by overpowered Gundams. Music? Openings are great but the rest eh. I prefer Zeta, CCA, Unicorn, Victory in this regard. Well, I did like the Gundam designs, especially Deathscythe and the Epyhon which are almost too metal for mecha.

I wish there would have been more dynamics between the Gundam pilots and their different characters but they are all just this super kakoii stoic badasses that do their thing and only really team up at the end. Treize I expected to be a magnificent bastard when he turned out to be a magnificent bastard but in a heroic way than a villainous act. Though most of the series all he does is sit in the background doing nothing and than throwing himself into Wufei's lance. Whatever. And Zech? I liked him up to the part were he went full Char's Counterattack and we all know you never go full Char's Counterattack. He then returns back to normal in Waltz and everything is okay again. Okaaaaay.jpg.

Speaking of Endless Waltz, aside from a 7 year old toddler conquering earth this was really good ova and much better conclusion to end the series. It elaborated on the backgrounds of the pilots and freed them finally of their responsibilities, opening a path for everyone into a new future.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Picked up Gundam Wing, as it's there on Crunchy. Three episodes in, I have gathered that the Gundam pilots are unlikeable superhuman teenage brats (oh hai, I upgraded ur newtypes); and Relena is giving me very strong Asuka vibes (and yes, I know that she's universally hated). I think I preferred the 80s animation of the UC classics to the 90s style here.

At the beginning she is that snobby sweet 16 girl, but she develops for the better in my opinion. Her infatuation with Heero and her pacifistic agenda can get annoying, but she tried to use her position and talent for the best a girl at her age could possibly do in such a setting.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:00 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:And Zech? I liked him up to the part were he went full Char's Counterattack and we all know you never go full Char's Counterattack. ..

There is one other char clone that goes bat shit CCA insane but I won’t spoil which one and which series he is from.

Anyhow watched episode 23 of Persona 4 another good episode and for them to skip the opening was a very good call. The next episode title “this world is shit” is very appropriate for the villain of the next episode but I wonder if they will wrap all that up in one episode.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 pm

I thought it was one of the better episodes of the show, but that stupid Aiya beef bowl challenge part totally threw off the flow of the episode. I really hate it when anime and games throw comedic parts in the middle of serious ones. So irritating. Still, it was a good episode.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Watched Persona 4 episode 23. Very good episode, especially the scenes outside the hospital with the MC and Yosuke. Only weak point was Teddie leaving and its effect on Nanako. It happened so fast it felt arbitrary and devoid of the importance it deserved.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Orange road

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:11 am

View Original PostAquaMan wrote:Nothing left to do except finish Nanojunk 2: The sucking book.

First Nanotrash, now Nanojunk.
Dude, what's your beef with nanotechnology?

==============================

View Original PostOrnette wrote:you should check out the Movie after finishing the series (Kimagure Orange Road)
This.

If you do get sick of the 40+ episode series, 12 episodes is more than enough set-up to enjoy the movie (I Want to Return to That Day), so don't miss it.
I posted this once before:
CowBoy BeBop/KOR   SPOILER: Show
I know which one I found the most moving.
If nothing else, the end credit song will rip your heart out of your chest.

I'm not particularly fond of the second movie (Summer's Beginning). The human body doesn't grow past age 19 for crying out loud.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:22 am

Dude, what's your beef with nanotechnology?

A lack of ketchup and buns, I can tolerate my beef being a little burnt though. :biii:

Sorry Chaz, but you set me up for that one.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:47 am

P4 Episode 23 was excellent (I loved the fakeout to the Bad End :lol: ) and I cannot wait for Episode 24, I hope it will make the viewer feel the same emotions as that part of the game.

I've also been watching Nichijou (need to finish it sometime soon) and started Princess Tutu with online friends. Both are great.

More thoughts of mine in the P4 Anime thread.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Watched episode 1 of Ozma, seems good but reminds me of Gundam Unicorn. the main character Sam resembles Banagher, and that girl he picks up seems to have something similar to Mineva going on.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Frankly, my dear, F*CK YOU! B(

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:42 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Picked up Gundam Wing, as it's there on Crunchy. Three episodes in, I have gathered that the Gundam pilots are unlikeable superhuman teenage brats (oh hai, I upgraded ur newtypes); and Relena is giving me very strong Asuka vibes.

That will change the moment she discovers she's a PEACEcraft. Even still, while Asuka may have overestimated her importance, Relena was never anything more than something to get captured and attract Heero's attention for one reason or another. She's damn useless, and at times just a puppet.

Seriously Heero, WHY DIDN'T YOU SHOOT HER?!? Or at least the English VA who kept saying your name in that eery, shrill tone of hers.

the_seventh_child wrote:Give it some more time, it gets a bit better after a while.

Uh, no it doesn't. Not only does the constantly fractioning and shifting loyalties make no sense (and f*ck, WHERE DO THEY KEEP GETTING THE CARGO PLANES?!? Those things are size of C-5s!) character progession is flat. Heero goes from being a cold and distant killer, to a cold and distant anti-socialite who kills only occasionally.

"Heero has the strength to act on his feelings". Yeah, there's a term for that, poor impulse control.

The fact they had to, in the film, rescue their Gundams at the last second in order to put down armed extremists, undermines the entire damn moral of the story, "War is bad". Well, yes, yes it is, unless there's something even worse at stake.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Xana
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Xana » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:03 am

Just watched Mirai Nikki episode 21. Apparently, the world is turning to shit sooner than foreseen. Good thing I saved this episode for today 'cuz tomorrow I get to see the continuation to this epic climax! :leekspin:

Also:
Spoiler of  SPOILER: Show
My favorite character Minene dies in this episode. I cried buckets of tears.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Re: Frankly, my dear, F*CK YOU! B(

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:12 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:The fact they had to, in the film, rescue their Gundams at the last second in order to put down armed extremists, undermines the entire damn moral of the story, "War is bad". Well, yes, yes it is, unless there's something even worse at stake.
You forgot to mention the genius level decision the pilots make at the end, further underlining the true message of this movie.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Frankly, my dear, F*CK YOU! B(

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:30 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:You forgot to mention the genius level decision the pilots make at the end, further underlining the true message of this movie.

What , succcesfully destroying their Gundams?

Well gee, now they have nothing to stop any more extremist rampages, as everything else they had sure turned out useful for all of 5 seconds it was on screen.

Great work guys, hope you like your communists overlords, as after Neo-Monarchist and Neo-Nationalistic movements, I believe they'd be next.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:36 am

Well, let's not kid ourselves. Total pacifism is never going to happen. It's one of the things I didn't like about Wing. It was too goody-goody for its own good. I prefer Tomino's way that you have to make sacrifices in war. Though story-wise there is indeed total peace at the end so whatever, my suspension of disbelief is gnashingly satisfied. For future straw fires there are the Preventers.
Last edited by Fireball on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:59 am

And so I finally finished Nanoha A's; not as bad as the first series but that is not saying much. It did have a better ending battle and the Book of Darkness's protection program Black...... something (I forget) was kind of neat, but otherwise there wasn't much to it. At least I didn't get diabetes and I can safely say that the magic girl genre is pretty deplorable unless someone wants to recommend me something that states otherwise. I mean it's not like there is anything else I can take o-

Oh yeah, that. :raincloud:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Return to “Old Stickies”