What anime are you watching right now? Sep2011-May2012

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:07 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Azathoth, while I certainly understand why people might hate Tomino's particular brand of directing, I am tempted to tell you to go and watch some truly hideous early super robot show like Godmars to give you better perspective, because I don't think you've seen what the bottom of the barrel truly looks like.

Point taken. I probably don't want to know.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Azaroth, don't listen Dr. Nick, God Mars is one of the best anime out there. :cool:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Spud » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Installment 2-4 Break Blade.

The battles are getting more intense and its starting to move more towards combat instead of its character.
Syign Ester seems to end up naked more and more often. Their random fanservice inserts feel out of place.
Rygart seems to have gotten over his "I cant kill them" rather fast. He also seems to have almost mastered that thing in three days.
Also I see what Ornette was saying when he said anyone with a name can mow down nearly platoons of basic enemy's.

Despite all this I'm seriously enjoying it.
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Macross 7: Dynamite OVA 01

SPOILER: Show
So a musician decides to ditch on his band and go off and fuck bitches at the end of the universe. Age old story. Except this guy doesn't really seem to get the whole "fuck bitches" bit. In fact he's...sort of retarded.
In fact, he's a lot retarded.

This scene takes place with some desperate criminals trying to steal a VF, and he gets in their way for a bit. Then he gets in the way of the space police for a bit. Because there is no God, Basara does not die during this sequence.

Instead he falls off a bridge onto his guitar and is rescued by an annoying young girl with an extremely 90s character design
the things she says do not contain any information whatsoever. even Basara doesn't get it
This scene would actually be pretty funny if not for the fact that there seriously are space whales in this anime

Thankfully this girl's annoyingness is balanced by her dad, who is basically a Zentradi-sized Captain Ahab. He's voiced by Jouji Nakata and does not approve of anything.
>this ova's face
>mfw this ova's face

Anyway Basara's guitar popped a string, he needs a new one.
He carves a string, off of this whisker. And puts it on his guitar. And it works.

Why the fuck does a space whale have whiskers, anyway? to catch space plankton?

Nonetheless, Basara is pretty taken with the fact that he managed to repair his guitar with pure anti-logic, and begins to...uh...jump on top of her car and deliver an impromptu whale-themed jam. I was trying to make a joke about it, but I really couldn't. I can't quite decide whether it's retarded or great.
I mean, none of the artists I've ever known were much like this. But based on this OVA so far, maybe Kawamori is.

Ah hell, the whales are here and Ahab goes off to fight them. And the space police go out to stop him. And so does Basara. How does he fly and play guitar at the same time? Maybe they explained this in the show but it does not seem plausible.

Then again, this scene is about Space Captain Ahab harpooning Space Moby Dick while the Space Police and Space Douche With A Guitar Singing About Love try and stop him. So I guess plausibility wasn't too high on the priority list.

I guess what's happening in this scene is that Basara is singing a song to the Galactic Whales, but I honestly can't really tell because they don't bother to animate him actually playing his guitar or singing or anything.
for example this frame stays on screen for like five seconds

In a shocking tweest it turns out that Captain Ahab's daughter (not the annoying one, another one) works for the space police.

Then Space Moby Dick pulls some shit and Basara fucking explodes! Oh man, this is grea—

Oh wait, no. He actually survived. His VF exploded. And he was thrown out, completely unharmed, into space. Still holding his guitar.

I'll finish this OVA, because I said I would, but I cannot possibly be expected to watch more than one episode at a time.

what_the_hell_am_i_watching.mkv
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

WHALES! BD

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:45 pm

^ I will totally watch that if it made this reference. Or you know "round Antares Maelstrom, and perdition's flames" is good too.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:33 am

Watched Persona 4 Episode 5 and Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 17.

P4 was actually pretty good, probably my favorite episode so far. Which is kind of sad because this was just a one-off that had nothing to do with the main story. Next week will probably go back to being meh though. . . *sigh*

The penguin show was awesome this week. Proving yet again what this show can do when it stops screwing around. For once I'm actually excited for next week.

Also, that final pic at the end of the episode was both very sad and creepy. I feel sorry for you Mr. Teacher Man. Truly I do. But if you hurt Himari, you're goin' down.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Obstermaxmaster
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Obstermaxmaster » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:31 pm

So I am watching this show called His and Her/ Kare Kano. OMG this show is soo wonderful. THANK YOU C.A.P.
LIKE I DON'T NOT KNOW HOW TO DESCRIBE IN APPROPRIATE TERMS.
EPISODE 1

Ok, so the show starts off with this girl. Her name is Yukino Miyazawa. She is the smartypants of the class. She also has a big ass rival. His name is Soichiro Arima. He is also another smartypants. They both compete to become the top of their class. Miyazawa, from the first episode has soo many personallites. LIKE, You learn that she does everything at school for show, and at home she is different. She goes on about how she hates Arima, but later on you can tell that he will become POTENTIAL BOYFRIEND NUMBER ONE, BUT ONLY TIME WILL TELL.
I WISH DAYLIGHT SAVINGS NEVER HAPPENED SO WE CAN WATCH MORE KARE KANO ~ C.A.P. ON SKYPE

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 pm

Just when you think I'm done, I convince more people to watch it.

Ain't I just a devil? :heehee:
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:21 pm

^
Priceless. :rofl:

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

"Smile", except when watching. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:27 am

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Just when you think I'm done, I convince more people to watch it.

I'm onto you! Don't let my sig fool you, I got only to episode 4 before I dropped that boring ponderous trap!

And has there ever been an anime more inconsistent with it's character designs? I ASK YOU!

Slice of slice must be funny, OR CEASE TO EXIST!
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Guilty Crown 04:

Literally every episode so far, I just go into it thinking "this show couldn't be any more retarded." But it could, Az. It could. The "take my hand" scene with the gravity gun may have been the most stupid thing I've ever seen in an anime, and I'm watching Macross Dynamite.

Viral and the girl whose hips can't move on their own remain pretty entertaining, though. I really hope there's going to be awkward cripple sex doujinshi of this

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Re: "Smile", except when watching. Bl

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:43 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I'm onto you! Don't let my sig fool you, I got only to episode 4 before I dropped that boring ponderous trap!

Funny, it's the opposite for the trapped fans/people who seen it already; they wANT to see more after it.

Isn't that right OB?
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Recently subscribed for a year on Crunchyroll because the ads started to break and made it so I couldn't watch more than up to the first ad. Normally with my setup it just skips the ad completely, they must have changed something. Figured I'd leeched enough from them and the $60 annual subscription is half as much as one night out for drinks.

So now I watch all the current shows in 720p, watch their library of countless shows, and can finally get through some long series like Galaxy Express 999 and Gintama. But mainly Gintama, because keeping up with shows that are 200-300 episodes long can be a pain in the ass, and now I can just stream them whenever. And Gintama, by the way, is a hilariously awesome show, and now I can start from ep 1 and leisurely make my way up to whatever they're at now.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Felt great FINALLY finishing up Hanasaku Iroha, A-channel and Dororon Enma-kun Meramera...... Been hung up on those forever.

Started watching Cross Game, which is pretty much like saying "I'm about to finish watching Cross Game" given how entertaining this series is.

I have to address the first episode which gets mentioned a lot, because it really is something special... It might be the best 1st episode hook I've seen yet in anime.. e.g I persuaded an extremely casual anime watching friend to check just the 1st episode out. Needless to say not a week later he watched about 20 episodes, heh.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:32 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:the $60 annual subscription is half as much as one night out for drinks.

I hope you're talking about your entire crew's drinks and not just your own.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:39 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I hope you're talking about your entire crew's drinks and not just your own.

It's expensive to drink at a bar in NYC, where even at a dive a double jamie is $10-12. If I was out with my usual crew here, it'd be in the $500's.

Nevertheless, $60 is cheap for a year of unlimited HD streamed anime. Already finished 2 25-26 ep series.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:38 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Recently subscribed for a year on Crunchyroll because the ads started to break and made it so I couldn't watch more than up to the first ad.

Happened to me too with the CR android app, I'm pretty sure CR has some kind of invisible free cap going on to encourage subscriptions.

Gintama's awesome, I recently just picked it up and started watching it weekly.
It's not too continuity heavy and I can just pick out an episode with a title that interests me and just watch it.

OT:
Currently kind of enjoying Macross 7.
It's actually quite fun if you know what you're getting yourself into.
Gamlin's stupid though.

Obstermaxmaster
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Obstermaxmaster » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:46 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Isn't that right OB?
SO TRUE SO HARD. YOU ALL DON'T KNOW WHAT WHAT YOU'RE MISSING. OKAY I WILL BLABBER ABOUT SPOILER FOR NOW ON, YOU NO LIKE NO LISTEN.

EPISODE 6
This episode has to be the best in the world. Like, Episode is about MORE ANGST, but in a good way because it makes you want more. Anno's silly antics are so clever. He makes you expect the world is dying, but he can change the atmosphere like THAT. BAM LOVE SCENE. MY HEART MELTED AND I CRIED SO SOOO MANY TEARS. THEY KISSED FOR THE FIRST TIME. AND IT ONLY TOOK 6 EPISODES IT WAS THAT FAST. GODDAMN ANNO, YOU ARE A WIZARD.

EPISODE 7
ANOTHER EPISODE BRINGS ANOTHER CHALLENGE. Everyone, THEY WERE MADE FOR EACH OTHER. Because their grades are slipping, the SCHOOL BOARD GOES WACK AND TRIES TO STOP THE RELATIONSHIP. THIS IS A NO NO. So in the end, THANK THE LORD, PAPA COMES TO THE RESCUE WITH COMMON SENSE. LIKE, FROM THE HEAVENS. THUS EVERYONE IS WELL AND MERRY.

FOR NOW...... I SWEAR ANNO DON'T MESS THIS UP.
I WISH DAYLIGHT SAVINGS NEVER HAPPENED SO WE CAN WATCH MORE KARE KANO ~ C.A.P. ON SKYPE

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:53 pm

View Original PostObstermaxmaster wrote:I SWEAR ANNO DON'T MESS THIS UP.

he messes it up

Obstermaxmaster
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Obstermaxmaster » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:27 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:
he messes it up

AHH C.A.P TOLD ME THAT TOO, BUT I STILL DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE IT

EPISODE 8:

SO SUPPA BOYFRIEND NUMBA 1 THINKS ABOUT HOUW HE LOVES MIYAMAWA. This of course, flashes back to his feelings about school and other girls. I love how ANNO uses his magic to give the series a dramatic feel. In short, at the end of the show, ARIMA IS BUMPED ON THE HEAD AND REALIZES THAT HE CARES FOR HER, MIYAMAWA CARES FOR HER, AND ALL IS WELL.

EDIT

EPISODE 9:
SO WE START ANOTHER EPISODE WITH LOVE AND HAPPINESS, BUT IT IS INTERUPTED BUY HATERS. BIG MEANIE MAHO HATES MIYAMAWA AND GETS THE WHOLE CLASS TO HATE HER. :( ALSO SUPPA CHIBI STAR TSUBASA COMES IN AS ANOTHER RIVAL TO MIYAMAWA! CAN OUR MAIN CHARACTER FIGHT HER OFF? TO BE CONTINUED!

EPISODE 10:
From were we left of Maho and her haters are still dissing on Miyamawa. I mean, she looks like a jerk, but when you get to know her, you learn that she just wants to be noticed and hates to be in second place. She kind of symbolizes that kind of person we would be if we showed others how much we hate another certain person. IT'S SO SAD. IT REMINDS ME OF MYSELF. ANNO YOU HAVE TOUCHED MY SOUL AGAIN AND YOU WILL DO IT ONCE MORE SOON.

Return to “Old Stickies”