What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Finished last season's Denpa Onna. I forgot it's actually a pretty enjoyable series, even though it isn't particularly noteworthy. (feels like typical SHAFT-fare, fortunately that isn't a bad thing..) 7/10.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:36 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:no sounds. It just isn't the same without dem penguin noises or ROCK'N'ROLL MAAANNNN

No SEIZON SENRYAKU this ep. but several musical numbers which are well worth it just for Ishida's "nanto très bien".

Also beginnings of Shouma/Ringo relationship which I can only imagine is going to end in monumental failure. Also Juri from the OP plotting to...frame Kanba for murder?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:05 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Usagi Drop was great like usual. And Ren's mom might even show up in the next episode, which should make for some interesting fireworks.

Yea, Rin's mother is a little less than fit to be a parent.
Manga  SPOILER: Show
She's a manga artist who lives for her work.

The voice actors so far are great, especially the attractive single mother.

They need to hurry up with the English manga releases... They've only released up to 3 out of 9. Interesting to note that part 1 (the first four volumes) take place in the current time frame but part 2 jumps ahead 10 years.

SPOILER: Show
I just read the plot summary for all the volumes up to the final one..... All I have to say is "wha..................x12"
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Finished the last Break Blade movie, the series was pretty entertaining to watch. The first few movies had more focus on the characters and the politics but then it was more or less fighting the rest of the way. And that third nation was completely out of the picture by then. Problems with the fighting, I think I mentioned it before, is that anyone who didn't have a name was unable to fight at all and were just insta-kill fodder for any character that had a name. Only redeeming part was when characters with names fight each other. Strengths of the actual quartz-built mechas defy logic and consistency. Story was predicable, some of the action was pretty good, but still a fun watch.

Oh, and that DVD/BD cover that Dr. Nick posted in some other thread, that happened a few movies back, queen was taken hostage in her own room and was told to strip (wanted to swap clothes).

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Started watching "rose of versailles" the story in this flows surprisingly well for a 70's anime. Most of the other anime series from that era I have seen tended to have rather choppy stories imo.

Apparently this is one of the anime that influenced utena and it really shows. One other thing I noticed is that one woman who shows up in episode 3 has the same voice actress as the baroness from sadness of the belladonna.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:26 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:They need to hurry up with the English manga releases... They've only released up to 3 out of 9. Interesting to note that part 1 (the first four volumes) take place in the current time frame but part 2 jumps ahead 10 years.

I just read the plot summary for all the volumes up to the final one..... All I have to say is "wha..................x12"
I've ordered those but they haven't come in yet. The time warp I was already aware of, but I've been trying to avoid spoilers--sometimes they're unavoidable, though.

Seriously, "wha..................x12"

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:53 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:I've ordered those but they haven't come in yet.

It really is a great series despite the odd sounding ending... By the pacing of the show right now I assume that they'll end it before the time warp. From there I would assume they'll make a season 2 of the rest of the books.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:46 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:
Yes, I've heard the ending is very "WTF?!" inducing.

Watched the Penguin show. It was alright, and it looks like things might start to take off. I sure hope so.

View Original PostXard wrote:>can't watch penguindrum because internet doesn't work

;__________________;
What happened?
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Yesterday after the FMP: TSR OVA I watched the lost episode of Elfen Lied. It was subbed, but I had time to kill. At first I thought this would be a fan service based episode, then as it turns out not only did Lucy have a friend and Nana started to trust her, but THEY SHOWED HOW THE HELL LUCY WAS CAPTURED TO BEGIN WITH! Why the hell did they leave that out of the main series!? As powerful as someone like Lucy is you have to wonder how the hell she even got caught in the first place.

Also as of last night I started watching Zone of The Enders: Dolores i and watched the second ep earlier this morning. Don't like the music and so far it doesn't have much going for it aside from the art style reminding me of Dai-Guard. Sadly no heterodyne coffee, but oh well. The orbital frames (mispronounced as flame for some reason) still have obvious cock(pit)s although since the titular mecha is feminine this begs to question if the creators have shemale fantasies on the mind. O_o

And finally thanks to GasMaskAvenger The Awesome I finally managed to watch eps 40 and 41 of Combat Mecha Xabungle. Ep 40 was a good episode, but 41 not only had Katakam having a crowning moment of awesome by taking down the Govarie, but it also showed the MOTHER F**KING BLOCKARY! (spelled Brockary in the subs for no good reason).................... And this, folks, (like Zambot 3, Daitarn 3, and various Gundam shows have shown) is the reason cannon fodder soldiers don't pilot A grade mechs, they just end up failing. I can't even call Blockary taking on a landship as a feat with it's pilot as it was pretty much a hunk of junk buffalo type! (for those that don't watch Xabungle, bottom line is that it's small compared to others) I'm just glad I got to watch it though, although I still don't know how the hell it took FIVE MONTHS for the subbers to get ep 41 done. Not trying to be rude, but I have to wonder since most eps are out on a monthly basis.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:27 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:although I still don't know how the hell it took FIVE MONTHS for the subbers to get ep 41 done. Not trying to be rude, but I have to wonder since most eps are out on a monthly basis.

I know the subber, he lives practically next door to me. He was in Korea, eating cats. He also has a Master's thesis to write, but fuck that, I'm telling him to pick up the pace with Xabungle because his best customer is getting annoyed.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:34 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:I know the subber, he lives practically next door to me. He was in Korea, eating cats. He also has a Master's thesis to write, but fuck that, I'm telling him to pick up the pace with Xabungle because his best customer is getting annoyed.

:lol:

if he is interested in non-/m/ anime could you ask him to sub OVA sequels to Top wo Nerae/Aim for the Ace? :D

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:17 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:if he is interested in non-/m/ anime could you ask him to sub OVA sequels to Top wo Nerae/Aim for the Ace?

He's been very secretive about his next project, assuming he's got anything planned at all. It looks like BlueFixer, which another largely /m/-based group, is going to finish Aim for the Ace TV, so chances are they might be interested in subbing the OVAs as well.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:22 pm

He also has a Master's thesis to write, but fuck that

If the subber has something important to do then it's not an issue with me at all (because, you know, people have things called lives), I just wanted to know why it took five months.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:26 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:He's been very secretive about his next project, assuming he's got anything planned at all. It looks like BlueFixer, which another largely /m/-based group, is going to finish Aim for the Ace TV, so chances are they might be interested in subbing the OVAs as well.

oh great, they're still around ep 20...last time I looked at somebody subbing the original Ace tv series they were around ep 20 too, a bit under it perhaps so I just went and watched Dezaki's great compilation film. I'd love to see the later installments too, but at this rate it looks like I'd get to them faster by becoming fluent in moonspeak and just watching them raw :lol:

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Nichijou (17) was at it's best this week. We even got Daisuke Ono as the crow. Poor Sakamoto..

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Watched Kamisama No Memo-chou. It was bland and predictable without a single shred of originality.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:13 pm

Hungry?

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:39 pm

Watched Hana-Saku Iroha. It was alright, but relied to heavily on silly humor.

Edit: Watched Ikoku Meiro no Croisée. Very nice and sweet episode this week. Lots of great interactions between the two leads.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:39 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:It doesn't even deserve a title :tongue: .

So it does have a title after all. Jokes apart, I've not followed much of the current anime season until now (actually, I've not followed it at all), I plan to redeem myself but probably this one is going to take a "low priority".

Ro-Kyu-Bu is actually not as bad as it looks. I've seen a couple of episodes off the Anime Network website and although the coach's backstory is kind of dumb, and the girls act kind of dumb sometimes, it reminds me of Bamboo Blade, which was a pretty good show with lolis doing kendo. The girls are in elementary school, so some of the behavior (and size) is understandable. No idea if I'll bother to finish it, Anime Network has a tendency to not show the whole season of a show and make you pay for the last few episodes.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:59 am

Finished watching Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket.
It was good.
Not as good as 08th MS Team but Al and BaaniBarneyBernie were surprisingly decent characters.

Killing off Killing(unintended joke, he does not really die) in the last episode was kind of weird but whatever.
Did they get axed by the fifth OVA or something?

Return to “Old Stickies”