What anime are you watching right now? Dec10-Apr11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Many fans in Japan are saying the same things. Not sure what it is about and what focus it wants.

Yeah. Sometimes its all "adventure story!" but the last few have kinda felt like a love story slowly morphing with FMA.

SPOILER: Show

:lol:

-- it is more effective when he restrains its use.

This one hundred percent. Instead of being bombarded by lolShinbo (like Bakemonogatari or even both seasons of Arakawa for instance) its really only present in the witch scenes which in turn makes the scenes seem more memorable, IMO.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:17 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:^^^ I WANT A LITTLE IKA!!!!

This is the first pic that popped up when I googled Little Ika pic, so here you go... :lol:

I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:34 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Seriously most people in Japan do not share the same moral "looseness" (if I have to use a word) common in anime/manga industry, but there is still no denying that Japan is quite easy with material that would surely sound the overreacting pedophilia alarm bells in the west. For example many dismiss Bakemonogatari as just pandering to pedophilia fetish but the fact is the sale of the novels and the anime include many women and this is something one would never expect to see anywhere else. The truth is many do not see problem in reading those so-called pedophilia material and they are not offended by it, and thus they can enjoy the novel/anime without being bothered by pre-existing views of what is "proper" or "moral". On the other hand Japan does have its questionable practices that smack of pedophilia '(you have named some) but we are not touching on that level here.

I don't mind the 2D world in the least. That was just more generic "damnit Japan" rant, not really related to anything... not even animu

and really, extremely rarely have I heard "pedophilia zomg" argument against Bakemonogatari. Usually reasons for hatan' are bit more complex and different. Well, excluding trolls who like to use that but trolls are trolls

View Original Postsymbv wrote:The problem is the right-wing zealots threatened cinemas not to show THE COVE and the film ended up in only tiny cinemas. Even the fact that the film won Oscar was not widely broadcast. I am sure many Japanese would have been shocked to know that one remote fishery village has this "tradition" but self-censorship prevents news from circulating. This is the main problem.

Well that sucks. I sav The Cove and it really looks like most Japanese are simply ignorant about it...How did they manage to do that? Ahh, I hate right-wing Japanese so much...

unless they're The Imperialist. Then it's amusing!

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Take away the word FAMILY and you will be fine :lol:

sure :P

I don't remember how much fanservice ep 2 had, certainly some groping...

View Original Postsymbv wrote:You have not used that smiley, but I could see your face just by reading what you wrote :) :)

Truth to be told I don't yet have a favourite...

Do my eyes deceive me or is Hana-saku slice of life anime featuring....adult women? oh gawd :gasp:

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:It´s not that I HATE shoujo manga and it wasn´t bad at all, it´s just...
I expected something more satisfying to justify the whole painful MISUNDERSTANDINGS MISUNDERSTANDINGS thing.
Still getting another two volumes, because they´re having a special sale on them here in europe.

Well, I haven't read manga but I enjoyed anime enormously especially early on. How far are you in it? :shrug:

Truth to be told I've had some troubles enjoying the show in second season as the romance has been getting more and more focus

View Original Postschismatics wrote:Fractale - Not too shabby, but I'm really not sure where this show's going. At first it felt like Nadia, but now I really don't know what to expect of it. Also lolrandomfanservice.

yeah, while I like the show it hasn't lived up to the potential it had in early episodes when I was in love with it. My main criticism would be that it indeed has been rather aimless in its focus during last 3 episodes. I can see they're doing kind of exploring-the-world anime but I can't help but think tighter, more central narrative driven writing would've be beneficial.

View Original Postschismatics wrote:Star Driver - Somehow this show manages to be predictable and unpredictable at the same time. Great ass writing nonetheless. Really hope this gets an American license and BD release. I would die of awesome.

yeah, the "predictable and unpredictable" pretty much sums up the writing.

Any new favourite episodes? I rank the last one and ep 20 really high both. :D

Takuto is a rare thing: cool male protagonist.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Many fans in Japan are saying the same things. Not sure what it is about and what focus it wants. Even for a group that famously not mind fanservice, fans in Japan are irritated with the fanservice trolling done here and there. Artwork quality is superb but that seems to be about it.

Well the fanservice really sticks out in show like Fractale - I'm not sure why it is there (thankfully there isn't much) when even SHINBO has been able to control himself.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:
SPOILER: Show

oh god :rofl:

View Original Postsymbv wrote:*mini-Ika*

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Fuck yeah. I actually need to get off my ass and watch movies 6 and 7, I planned to start them right after Paradox Spiral but it was so wtfawesome that I decided to just sit back and think about it for a couple hours and never got around to the rest of the story.

Expect Nasu in all his nonsensical glory - although the scripts were written in-house at Ufotable afaik, so there shouldn't be any mollusk sex

Film 7 is the best one excluding Paradox Spiral and truly fantastic coda for the whole thing.

Ep 6 is...well, let's just say that it was definetly worth it for one and only reason :whistle: :shifty:
:D  SPOILER: Show

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:49 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Well, I haven't read manga but I enjoyed anime enormously especially early on. How far are you in it? :shrug:

2 volumes, the part where Sadako befriends those two girls after she tries to clear up the rumors and that new girl shows up(rival?).
And there are NO fuwafuwa sparkly stuff in the manga.
Paper does not sparkle.
:)

as the romance has been getting more and more focus

And how is that bad?
Last edited by InstrumentalityOne on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:51 pm

View Original PostXard wrote: Do my eyes deceive me or is Hana-saku slice of life anime featuring....adult women? oh gawd :gasp:

It's just the way the characters are drawn. In the top page of the anime website, 2 are 16 and 2 are 17, only the woman wearing green apron is 28.

View Original PostXard wrote: Ep 6 is...well, let's just say that it was definetly worth it for one and only reason :whistle: :shifty:

Now this looks extremely promising! If Ep.6 is not the best as you seemed to be saying, then I really need to check this movie series.....
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:15 pm

View Original Postschismatics wrote:This one hundred percent. Instead of being bombarded by lolShinbo (like Bakemonogatari or even both seasons of Arakawa for instance) its really only present in the witch scenes which in turn makes the scenes seem more memorable, IMO.

Umm what? The whole thing is throughougly Shinbo, from the way scenes are edited to colours used and the SHAFTesque art designs lying around everywhere and prettying the scenes :)

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:2 volumes, the part where Sadako befriends those two girls after she tries to clear up the rumors and that new girl shows up(rival?).

Oh, you already passed the part that had biggest emotional impact on me (the bathroom encounter as climax of the "lolrumours" arc)...I really like the upcoming "rival arc" too, Hirano's performance is really good.

Sawako's fembros (as I call those two girls) are just awesome and pretty much the best thing about it. :D

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:And there are NO fuwafuwa sparkly stuff in the manga.
Paper does not sparkle.
:)

That is indeed problematic... :chinscratch:

shift to anime? :D

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:And how is that bad?

Very good question. All I know I've been most of the time annoyed during second season's autistic antics, especially since end of first season was developing so nicely...

View Original Postsymbv wrote:It's just the way the characters are drawn. In the top page of the anime website, 2 are 16 and 2 are 17, only the woman wearing green apron is 28.

ahhh, how disappointing... here I was thinking Japan was doing something different for once

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Now this looks extremely promising! If Ep.6 is not the best as you seemed to be saying, then I really need to check this movie series.....

How familiar are you with Type-Moon and Nasu stuff? Namely Tsukihime and Fate stay/night?

I guess Merri can hype the series for you, I feel a little bit drowsy...

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:24 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Umm what? The whole thing is throughougly Shinbo, from the way scenes are edited to colours used and the SHAFTesque art designs lying around everywhere and prettying the scenes :)

But the series seems rather restrained even by SHAFT standards. I'm not saying its bad, its just that SHAFT is going completely over the top.

But yeah, I can't argue with your points, they're pretty much everywhere in the series (random German and whatnot).

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:30 pm

View Original PostXard wrote: That is indeed problematic... :chinscratch:

shift to anime? :D

Look closely the sparkles are in the manga, but in Kimi ni Todoke its use is very subdued and thus makes it feel more down to earth, which actually I quite like.

View Original PostXard wrote: Very good question. All I know I've been most of the time annoyed during second season's autistic antics, especially since end of first season was developing so nicely...

My take is you have lost patience after the Kurumi arc as you want something to happen between the two instead of yet another round of 3rd party + misunderstanding. But here misunderstanding and its resolution is the biggest force to push those two to face their true feeling and sum up the courage to say it out....

View Original PostXard wrote:ahhh, how disappointing... here I was thinking Japan was doing something different for once

Well, moyashimon and tatami galaxy already have main characters all being grown-ups, no?

View Original PostXard wrote:How familiar are you with Type-Moon and Nasu stuff? Namely Tsukihime and Fate stay/night?
I guess Merri can hype the series for you, I feel a little bit drowsy...

Why is Type-Moon=Tsukihime and Nasu=Fate Stay/Night?
I know what they are about but have not seen the anime. I have the Tsukihime manga though. I know Merri is FSN-fag but he is also fag for Tsukihime and kara no kyoukai too?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:36 pm

I used to want to watch KnT but from seeing threads and posts about it on the internetz I get the feeling it's a series that will make me wanna want to punch a hole through the screen several times each episode. Symbv, I'm imagining that KnT is like the polar opposite of BGHK, am I close? :tongue:

View Original Postsymbv wrote:but he is also fag for Tsukihime and kara no kyoukai too?

I'm not sure if you realize that:

1. That's not how the "-fag" suffix is usually used
2. What you said is much, much funnier

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:49 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:My take is you have lost patience after the Kurumi arc as you want something to happen between the two instead of yet another round of 3rd party + misunderstanding. But here misunderstanding and its resolution is the biggest force to push those two to face their true feeling and sum up the courage to say it out....

Well, there's that yeah. And maybe it's that I've been watching it on weekly schedule (for first season I caught up when 20 eps were already out), everything develops oh so slowly.

In general I guess I've been in wrong mentality, with the overdramaticism and endless blabbering characteristic of romantic shoujo either coming off as corny or annoying to me.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Well, moyashimon and tatami galaxy already have main characters all being grown-ups, no?

Can't say I've seen Moyashimon and Tatami Galaxy is wrong genre but I was just finding "adults + slice of life + moe" to be rather novel concept... :lol.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Why is Type-Moon=Tsukihime and Nasu=Fate Stay/Night?
I know what they are about but have not seen the anime. I have the Tsukihime manga though. I know Merri is FSN-fag but he is also fag for Tsukihime and kara no kyoukai too?

oh god it looks like we gave you bad idea with our use of word "fag". :lol: Calling people "fans" is still preferrable... :P

Type-Moon is prominent game company and Kinoko Nasu is the creative force behind their famous works, including Tsukihime and FSN - both of which have only had supbar anime adaptations (to the point /a/nons say "there is no Tsukihime anime"). I was just wondering that if you were familiar with their works you'd know pretty well what to expect from Kara no Kyokai as they're novels written by Nasu in 90s and often considered a kind of prototype for Tsukihime.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:58 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:I used to want to watch KnT but from seeing threads and posts about it on the internetz I get the feeling it's a series that will make me wanna want to punch a hole through the screen several times each episode. Symbv, I'm imagining that KnT is like the polar opposite of BGHK, am I close? :tongue:

I wouldn't say Kimi ni Todoke and B Gata H Kei are polar opposites. They're 2 different genres.

I'm not sure if you realize that:

1. That's not how the "-fag" suffix is usually used
2. What you said is much, much funnier

Talking as if you're on 4chan when you're not makes you sound like an idiot anyways.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:22 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I wouldn't say Kimi ni Todoke and B Gata H Kei are polar opposites. They're 2 different genres.

uh, what?

KnT is a romance isn't it? So is BGHK. Just because one might be more of a drama and the other one comedy doesn't mean that they're "2 different genres"

It's like how TTGL is often though of as the anti-NGE despite the only real connection between them (excluding the studio..) is that they are both mecha series. And even then they feature totally different mechs.

I just meant that KnT sounds like a real slow paced and soft romance while the relationship in BGHK moves at warpspeed (for the most part) compared to most romance anime.

Talking as if you're on 4chan when you're not makes you sound like an idiot anyways.

You people sure are touchy about that :um:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:26 pm

The mangas might have been more similar, but you have a shoujo slice of life in KnT and the other is ecchi comedy. Romance can cover a lot of things (Ragnarok is labeled as "Romance" but I'd hardly put it in that genre).

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:46 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I was just wondering that if you were familiar with their works you'd know pretty well what to expect from Kara no Kyokai as they're novels written by Nasu in 90s and often considered a kind of prototype for Tsukihime.

And kind of for FSN as well: Araya Souren and Tomoe, at least from how they're portrayed in the film, are prototypic of Kotomine and Shirou respectively.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:20 pm

A Dragon Crisis episode (9) that wasn't utter shit..What the fuck... :cringe:

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Spud » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:10 pm

Just watched the first episode of Cyber City Oedo 808
Its not bad, I think I'll enjoy this one

I'll watch the other two episodes tomorrow or the day after
I saw this video (its an official music video too surprisingly) and I wanted to find out what it was from. I looked it up on Wikipedia and the plot looked interesting.
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:17 pm

Merri & Xardimouto & Macross Musical FFFFFFF:

In other words, the lolwtfgirly stuff is EXACTLY what makes this series attractive for the fans? :lol: Oh you mahoushoujololimoutobois you!

Kawamori: :emogendo:

symbv wrote:chibi ika musume

Oh so perhaps THAT is the "BD extra" that got my acquaintance to pre-order the BDs? :lol: I see... :tentacles:

Finally! Started Star Driver (ep.1).
So far, looks like they put 8 parts of Utena in the mixer with 2 parts of TTGL and a pinch of Rebuild...

It should be interesting? :tongue:

ALSO: LEVELELEVELELEVELE! IT MAKES MY LIFE BRIGHTER!
Last edited by LiLi on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:31 pm

symbv wrote: Now this looks extremely promising! If Ep.6 is not the best as you seemed to be saying, then I really need to check this movie series.....
Ep 6 is the breather between the narrative mind-bludgeoning of Paradox Spiral (Ep 5) and the somewhat depressing climax/denouement of Ep 7. Whole set of films are excellent, and as good as its best parts are, KnK is undoubtedly an example of bringing together a unified whole that is greater than the sum of its individual pieces. I’m rewatching it with a friend of mine currently, for the first time in about half a year or so, and man… it holds up incredibly well to my first viewing. In some respects it’s even better, actually.

I don’t want to ruin anything, so I’m not going to tell you anything about it aside from some superficial things. Its animation is god-tier gorgeous, between the fluidity of motion and attention to detail to make even Production I.G. jealous, and jaw-dropping background art to rival some of the best I’ve seen from the last decade. What makes it even more delicious is the fact that each work is still directed remarkably well. The Epilogue is a little stale formalistically, but… well that’s what happens when it’s all dialogue. But the others? Christ. First film is one my favorite speaking strictly on formalistic grounds; it does an incredible job sculpting the atmosphere and setting the tone for the works that follow. Plus it has DAT SOUNDTRACK.

But the fifth film is where it’s at, man. Paradox Spiral is one of the best anime films I’ve seen from the last decade—I’d probably put it in the top 10, if I were to make such a list. I don’t know for sure, but the point is that it’s fucking awesome. The narrative is a bizarre collage of several stories, all formed around the pillar of this central “experiment” by this complete psycho that does whatever the hell he wants. The parts of the film that aren’t mindgasm tension-release scenes or chaotic action sequences are masterfully-edited montages and perfectly placed dialogues. It’s fantastic, cramming mindbending dualistic craziness into knife fights and robots like nobody’s business. Severed limbs, spiraling apartment complexes, absurdist protagonists, revelations everywhere, Type-Moon magic insanity, Shiki & Touko being boss, shit is beautiful.

Seventh film is the second best of the set, primarily because it resolves the romantic tension that comprised the strong undercurrent of the whole series. It’s good, too. Whole series is good—whole series is awesome—but damn, No.5 is a breed apart.

I know it probably isn’t saying much, but if I were to put together a list of the top 10 animus of last decade—films, series, OVAs all on the same flawed list—the KnK films would likely get an entry. I don’t know exactly where, but IMO it’s certainly one of the best anime pieces to come out of the 2000-2009 decade. Its animation and direction are all pretty near perfect, and its narrative—arguably the only place that can be criticized, and even then only on what are IMO rather minor points—is a well-crafted, somewhat nonlinear, solidly-presented piece of work with its share of ups & downs.

symbv wrote: Why is Type-Moon=Tsukihime and Nasu=Fate Stay/Night?
;____;

Don’t bother with Tsukihime anime. /a/nons are a little extreme when they obnoxiously proclaim that there IS no Tsukihime anime, but in all honesty—even without comparing it to the VN—it sucks. It’s not quite utterly and totally unwatchable, but it’s unbelievably boring given how awesome the subject matter had the capacity to be. The Fate/Stay Night series doesn’t fare much better either, I’m afraid—dull visuals and bad directing made an otherwise interesting story very tedious to watch. BUT, FSN has the Unlimited Blade Works movie, and for DEEN, it was pretty impressive. Action out the ass, and entertaining action to boot. It’s pretty incomprehensible to anyone who didn’t already know the UBW story, but whatever.

But Kara no Kyoukai! Man! ufotable put bitches in their place. I'm certainly looking forward to their upcoming Fate/Zero adaptation. :)

Azathoth wrote: And kind of for FSN as well: Araya Souren and Tomoe, at least from how they're portrayed in the film, are prototypic of Kotomine and Shirou respectively.
In character design, but the characterization is a lot different. Shirou isn’t as much of a victim, and Kotomine isn’t quite as much of a stoic hardass. Stoic, sure, but man, dat curry. WANT SOME?! He was also a bit more ambiguous than the Araya Souren “in case you hadn’t noticed, I’m fucking EVIL” attitude. Other thing is that Tsukihime deals directly with Mystic Eyes thing, while FSN lacks just about everything else in the Nasuverse except for fucking creepy-weird teethpenisworm magic shit. ughgahghghehghhghh. Heaven’s Feel seems like it was Type-Moon at its creepiest.

Spud wrote: Just watched the first episode of Cyber City Oedo 808
that OVA rocks. Try to find Goku: Midnight Eye 1 & 2 (lolinternet probably, no western DVD release exists of it anyway) afterward for more Kawajiri cyberpunk greatness. There’s other stuff in that vein I can rec if you’re interested.

One thing I really liked about that OVA was its cityscape. There are quite a few cyberpunk OVAs from around the same time that was produced, but that one had a really alien, desolate, gargantuan sense of scale in its setting. I don’t recall many others like that.

LiLi wrote:In other words, the lolwtfgirly stuff is EXACTLY what makes this series attractive for the fans? :lol: Oh you mahoushoujololimoutobois you!
hell yeah! I mean, between that and Ozma being a badass whenever he's on screen! And Sheryl being hot. And stuff.

Star Driver is awesome, btw.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:00 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:In character design, but the characterization is a lot different.

Well yeah, they're hardly the same people. But you can see where Nasu was going with those ideas

View Original PostMerridian wrote:FSN lacks just about everything else in the Nasuverse

And is mostly the stronger for it, IMO - Nasuverse has a tendency to overwhelm if not carefully regulated.

View Original PostMerridian wrote:ughgahghghehghhghh. Heaven’s Feel seems like it was Type-Moon at its creepiest.

I dropped Heaven's Feel pretty early in and so don't know much about it besides that it has vagina worms and also one of the bad ends is supposedly better than the good end.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

kuwisdelu
Lilith

Postby kuwisdelu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Knk 5 made my brain hurt and blew my mind at the same time. And I mean that as a compliment in the best possible way.

I had a few quibbles with the narrative in places, but overall, they don't really matter. Awesome stuff.

And yeah, those screenshots of movie 6 offer quite a different tone than the rest of them, much like 6 itself, but it's still a great series of movies.

Finally got them in HD. Will probably watch again over Spring break next week, or otherwise sometime soon. :)

Recently finished FSN, and I definitely felt that — despite the impressive visuals — it's delivery didn't really live up to its potential. Haven't seen the movie yet, though. Soon.

Return to “Old Stickies”