What anime are you watching right now? Dec10-Apr11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Finally watched Disappearance. Even though I didn't adore it as much as some other people, it was really good and reminded me again why I love the 1st season (S2 can go fuck itself right up the ass, even ignoring E8).

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Watched Arakawa Under The Bridge Season One.

Hilarious shit.

What the fuck am I reading? Arakawa was promising imo for 3-4 episodes and then totally lost it.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:33 pm

I thought Arakawa was hilarious. Even the 2nd season.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:55 pm

The ending to Shiki was awesome. Just about everyone I wanted to survive did, and some I wanted to see dead finally got what was coming to them. I haven't been this completely satisfied by an ending in a long time.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:10 am

I thought Arakawa was pretty funny, though I liked the second season a bit more then the first.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:54 am

Arakawa's humor was pretty lazy by SHAFT's standards. The first episodes only work because the characters are introduced, but after that the mangaka obviously ran out of ideas. Also, Shinbo's form is in its most generic and boring condition in Arakawa. I guess Shinbo's creativity was not activated due to the lack of sexual fanservice. That damn pervert. :lol:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:00 am

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
The 2nd season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:06 am

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
The 2nd season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Higurashi: NIPPAAH~
Haruhi: Enjoy your Endless Eight. Hope you can take it since Disappearance revives the whole franchise and makes it even better than it was. Just hang in there!

---

Finished Jyu Oh Sei yesterday. Good God, this series was so damn awful. The worst love triangle ever. Terrible and generic characters. Rushed and random plot development. DEEP and laughable themes revealed via "shocking" reveals during the two last episodes. The finale was simply confusing due to its random deaths and the awkward conclusion. The art direciton was pretty much as generic and dull as it gets and the animation was only decent at best. Jyu Oh Sei is pretty much the worst series I've ever finished. I wonder how it ended up being aired on noitaminA.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:11 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Higurashi: NIPPAAH~
Haruhi: Enjoy your Endless Eight. Hope you can take it since Disappearance revives the whole franchise and makes it even better than it was. Just hang in there!

I haven't quite gotten into NIPPAH territory yet with Higurashi : p
Endless Eight wasn't THAT bad, but it got to the point where it became something to have in the background while I was doing something else. Either way, I'm definitely not loving it as much as the first season. I can't wait until I get to The Disappearance!

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:14 am

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:Endless Eight wasn't THAT bad, but it got to the point where it became something to have in the background while I was doing something else.

Oh yeah, that's the only way to stay sane during Endless Eight.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:31 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Fixed.

Arakawa is awesome.

Read the manga if you don´t like the anime.

Nissling
Embryo

Postby Nissling » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:09 am

I'm currently watching Death Note and it's quite good, got the complete series in christmas but there still are about 15 episodes left for me to watch.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:34 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Read the manga if you don´t like the anime.

SHAFT always follows the original's story like a slave. In other words, the terrible writing is not SHAFT's fault. It's the mangaka's.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:54 am

Meh, I like it.

Plus, Gendoubird is awesome.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:13 pm

I'd like to point out Arakawa is based on books, not manga so usage of word "mangaka" here is wrong.

And SHAFT differs greatly in how true it stays to original - with SZS difference is barely notable because Shinbo's style works wonderfully with it but then again SHAFT's Negima adaptation is infamous and much reviled even by original author. Similarly Soremachi manga (I've read couple of chapters) differs pretty much from the feel of the animu

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:38 pm

Darker than black season 2 - Wasn't as bad as I feared it'd be, but it is quite a trainwreck and feels extremely different from the 1st season. Hell, it just isn't as plain cool as season 1 was.

Meh, stupid Murphy law of second seasons. 7/10

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:44 pm

Kuragehime ended in a weird way. It left way too many things open-ended without feeling like an actual closing episode. It makes me think a second season and/or extra episodes will be announced at some point. Nevertheless, what was resolved was very well and in overall the series was very impressive. Liked it a lot.

I started watching the second season of Honey & Clover. Excluding the recap episode, it has been as brilliant as the first season so far. I seriously hope they don't screw it up before the end.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:59 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:I seriously hope they don't screw it up before the end.
:hitthetable:

Oh, are you in for a treat!

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:44 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Oh, are you in for a treat!

Judging from the comments it's not going to be a feel-good ending - but I'm not sure how successful it will be.

---

As a reminder, those of you who have not voted in the 2010 anime poll, you still have time until the 8th of January. The shows eligible for the vote are over already so you better start thinking about your votes in advance!

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Don't judge me, for I am but a simple man.

Postby Killer Bee » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:19 am

After spending the last six months bitching about how moe is killing anime as we know it, I decided to man-up and start watching K-ON!.
SPOILER: Show
it's adorable

Also, I had my mom watch the Gunbuster OVA with me. She said it was better than she thought it would be.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:54 am

Awesome, more and more people see the light. Azunyann~ Watching Gunbuster with mom? LOLWTF

Return to “Old Stickies”