What anime are you watching right now? Dec10-Apr11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:12 am

SPOILER: Show

A 15-year-old financial genius who can magically heal people will come in handy, you know.

Yeah, I suppose it completely makes sense that she kinda feels like this 15 year old might be better than her for her husband, she would just accept this and set them up together. Totally. (Did they even insinuate that she told the mother she'd only heal her daughter if she married her husband? I can't check up on the episode at the moment)

Sugata always knew how to use the King's Pillar, he just didn't do it for the obvious reason that it makes you comatose. Or has a chance of doing so, anyway.

Yes, I know it makes him camatose, they say it every 5 minutes or so. What I mean is how when he was about to use the King's Pillar before, Wako stopped him saying it doesn't work on cybodies anyway. So basically he had to suck it up and watch Takuto (easily) win, as usual. And then we get some random move where he..uh...powers him up, or whatever. Not like they tried to explain what's happening, he didn't even Aprivoise.

This is hardly brain-turn-off material, but if you're still analyzing the particulars of the basic plot this may not be your kind of show.

That was more of a general complaint. This show is still trying to be some kind of mecha/action anime, after all. The fights are just embarrassing is all.

Also the character designs are atrocious.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 am

Lol, I still managed to forget Detatoko Princess from my OVA list. Added it in thar.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Ivrogne, leader of Bougainvillea/East Maiden (probably)/Class Rep. And you best be caring about her because her arc comes after this one (as far as we know). Also she's scheming and planning and shit and we don't know what she's up to.

Ah yes, Ivrogne. Why would you call her by her first name? I can't remember it being mentioned, like, ever. And it's indeed possible that she's East Maiden, given the interesting framing of four girls we got in ep 8's Hell Bus (seriously, talk about evaesque design. Whole scene was pretty damn surreal and not corresponding with literal reality. MY BUS CAN'T BE THIS WIDE) but at this point it's just theory. Other theory I have is Marino being Maiden too. Not all that likely but it would be interesting: and getting both of them caught and having their seals broken at the same time would be huge time saver for writer and huge victory for Glittering Crux that practically MUST happen sooner or later.

And indeed, Ivrogne is damn mysterious character...but then again, possibly excluding Wako and her friend, who isn't? (edit: well scratch that, apparently even Cute Mascot Animal and Sakamoto's character are loldeep important)

There IS something wonky going on with Marino in any case:

––The West Maiden, Mizuno You appeared as if to take the place of the North Maiden. Along with her twin sister Marino You.

Igarashi: I think everyone thinks that, with the older sister in the Crux and the younger sister being a Maiden, the older sister joined the Crux to protect the younger sister, but that’s exactly how it is {I don’t believe you}. Presently, the only people who know the West Maiden’s identity are Marino and the audience, that’s the “gulf” in the second arc. How will Marino protect Mizuno and why does Marino need to protect Mizuno in the first place? Pay close attention to those questions.

:think:

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Head is without a doubt my favorite after UTSUKUSHII SHOUNEN~ (seriously when was the last time Ishida Akira voiced a guy that wasn't homolust) but with the addition of BOXING EPISODE next week Kanako is officially rule 63 Touga so I may have to give her more attention than before.

I've found Head irresitible (in completely non-homolust way that is) since his "I can't sleep, Sakana-chan. Tell me a story ;__;" act in first (or was it second) ep.

Ishida is so awesome.

Also, lol@Igarashi (Enokido is corrupting him, hard)

When I was discussing ‘What is adolescence?’ with Enokido, we ended up with some really weird ideas. The story progresses around the structure of love.

"Sugata-kun's libido is flowing into my Peijent~ <3" much? :hahaha:

Star Driver is most fun series to think about since Sora no Woto. Glorious SPECULAH. With SD and Fractale both airing next season I'll propably go into overdrive mode. :lol:

...damnit Igarashi. Enokido certainly has taught to him the glorious ways of trolling in interviews
––So after all, it’s because each Maiden holds a big secret?

Igarashi: That’s, well… For example, there’s a significance to the North Maiden staying on the island even after her seal was broken. Of course, there’s significance behind the tale of Sam the Squid Piercer she told head too. By the way, the story of Sam the Squid Piercer that the North Maiden told, it’s sort of like “episode 2.” So, naturally there’s an “episode 1,” and if it’s like Star Wars there’s an “episode 3″ too (lol). {IGARASHIIIIIIIIIIII THE FUCK IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN}

the fuck :lol:

I'll reply to toe_mash later

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:43 am

Xard wrote:Blue Submarine No. 6 (1998-2000)

MAEDA I AM DISAPPOINT

I cannot hate a show whose main villain wants to grow trees with asses.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:56 am

My common sense is tingling, it's telling me a huge backlash is approaching

Bakuman 11 - Since I'm used to the slow pace and all, this episode was actually pretty nice.

Ore no Imo 11 - Damnit, will this series stop being so good and making me uncomfortable about liking it? :lol:

They really know how to do "cringe humor" well, the bit with the mom, or Manami or the whole maid scene had some funny jokes. Also Kirino sure took her sweet time in doing the "dere" thing. HHNGGGG'd

Also, in the next episode preview, "GOOD END" is written at the end of the episode name, heh.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:03 am

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:My common sense is tingling, it's telling me a huge backlash is approaching

My Xard sense is off the charts, it's a shitstorm.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:07 am

View Original PostXard wrote: I don't think even I would be that bad if I was tsundere imouto... :P

Be my imouto, Xard. :tentacles:

TBH I am surprised at my amazingly high tolerance of Kirino... (Maybe living here with RL Tsundere people has built me some resistance? :lol:)

You haven't seen the first one yet? Well, as you're in Japan you should just go and buy Itsuwari no Utahime because it's totally awesome :D

CONFESSION TIME:
Macross F is still on my to-watch list... :chair: If it helps any, I occasionally sing songs from the show at the karaoke though... hahah...

*  SPOILER: Show
and they should be resolving the triangle too this time around unless Kawamori is being asshole troll once again...

That's the vibe I got from the PV they showed... but why would you want them to solve it? 8D

Lili Can't Be This Much Joshikousei :D

Actually, it was more like, Lili Can't Be This Much of A Fujoshi... I kinda wanted my friend to take a pic of me with the Heaven & Earth (next Ubukata movie after Scramble) poster but... :blush:
Still, I did get me a Magical Ranka leaflet! (and thought of you :nyao:)
It was too cute to resist! :lol:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:49 am

Xard steals my OVA thunder  SPOILER: Show
Xard wrote: Gosenzozama Banbanzai! (1989-1990) […]Only reason this isn't 10 already is because I have to see and think about it more before I feel secure to give it that rating.
:lol: I had the same reaction upon completing that gem. I still haven’t made up my mind about it, and I saw that almost a year ago at this point.

Oh and hell yeah about time :w00t:
Xard wrote: Violence Jack (1986)
did you watch all three parts, or just the first? Part one was easily the worst of the lot, but part 2 was beautiful. Rape orgies and chainsaw dismemberment fuck yeah
Xard wrote: Good Morning Althea (1987)

Really delightful scifi action piece from 80s.
“delightful” my ass. That shit was terrible. Craptastic animation, terrible story, and boring as fuck. I'd rather have watched Roots Search again.
Xard wrote:Trava: Fist Planet (2002)
hell yeah, the animation in that was slick. Now go watch Birth: A Legend of Two Worlds. AKA more of the same except produced 20 years earlier.
Xard wrote: Blue Submarine No. 6 (1998-2000)
I don’t know which blue submarine no 6 you watched, but the one I’ve seen wasn’t artsy in the slightest. The whole reason it was cool was because it looked badass back in 2001. At best it could be a failed attempt at being grouped into that GitS-cerebral action thriller category, but given the amount of times the narrative said “Fuck it, let’s fill the rest of the episode with explosions”, I don’t think the crew were even trying to go THAT far.

Oh and it had fishgirltits.

Or maybe I’m just waxing nostalgic. It’s crappy, but come on man, giving it a lower rating than The Choujo or Good Morning Althea or Outlanders? That’s just cruel. :lol:

@toe mash: it’s anime, man. What are you expecting? Compared to other shows that try to be all sophisticated and DEEP, Star Driver’s been pulling it off pretty damn well. Nothing you’ve commented on is a plot hole anyway, it’s just typical lolanime-isms being used in typical lolanime ways. You see the same shit in Evangelion. And given Bones’ track record for mecha shows, this has been a huge surprise.
toe mash wrote: Yeah, I suppose it completely makes sense that she kinda feels like this 15 year old might be better than her for her husband, she would just accept this and set them up together. Totally.
Japan. Also, upper class finances are on the line. It’s not really that far-fetched.
toe mash wrote: That was more of a general complaint. This show is still trying to be some kind of mecha/action anime, after all. The fights are just embarrassing is all.
So did Evangelion, since it averaged an angel fight only about once every other ep (OK, a little more than that at 17/26 with one two-parter). Star Driver’s at least packing in the action in literally every single episode, which is more than can be said for many post-NGE mecha shows.

And considering how incredibly well-animated the fights are, I don’t see how you could call them embarrassing. Disliking the character models is just a preference thing, but personally I think you’re nuts.

LiLi wrote: TBH I am surprised at my amazingly high tolerance of Kirino...
I think people have been overreacting to Kirino, TBH. She’s kinda bitchy, but no worse than most people IRL. She’s just got a complex with her brother.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:18 am

Macross F is still on my to-watch list

You'll be fine, just remember it has absurd amounts of talking so proceed with caution.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:36 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:You'll be fine, just remember it has absurd amounts of talking so proceed with caution.

You should get used to it, now that action and violence have been banned.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Wait, what? There's a ban on the action genre?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Katanagatari ep 4

I haven't been this scared of sickly loli since ever

also, fantastic trolling!

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Katanagatari ep 4

I haven't been this scared of sickly loli since ever

also, fantastic trolling!

Ah yes the infamous episode 4, seriously this episode trolled me worse then.... pretty much any anime. Endless Eight really has nothing on this single episode.

But yeah there's a reason why Nanami is my favorite character on this show.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:01 am

Ah, you guys had me thinking episode 4 would be really rage worthy. I thought it was kinda funny. It reminded me a bit of the first episode of NGE, or maybe some extremely super cheap SHAFT animation technique.

Yosuga no Sora 11 - Why haven't you watched it yet? They did not disappoint

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:05 am

That's because you weren't waiting a whole month to see that hyped up fight between shichika and sabi. :zer_sweatdrop:

Though that being said the Nanami story was lots of fun anyway.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:12 am

I was planning on watching Rebirth tonight, but Surprise!Tummyache has me incapacitated... :shinji_boohoo:

:EDIT: I actually (re?)-watched Rebirth and ended up rewatching all of EoE too...

Still cannot tell any significant differences between Rebirth and corresponding part of 25' - nor do I remember whether the Italian release of D&R is the same as the Japanese one or not... and I can't check right now... :(
Last edited by LiLi on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Re-watched the last 30 minutes of DYRL.

I love that last part of the last song.
HITORIBOCHI JA NAI
IRU KARAAAAA
It still gives me chills all over.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Heromaster111 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:35 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Re-watched the last 30 minutes of DYRL.

I love that last part of the last song.
HITORIBOCHI JA NAI
IRU KARAAAAA
It still gives me chills all over.

DYRL is greatest jpop in the history of jpop sync'd to one of the greatest endings in anime history=win
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

MasonFighter
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby MasonFighter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:02 am

Bored enough to be watching Saki. I'm not sure I really enjoying it as much as I could be, because when I started it way back ago, it was because I was thinking something like, "Holy shit Akagi was good, what's another anime that's just all mahjong, all the time?"

Saki's about Mahjong in the same way K-on is about music.

Also, seeing if my torrent of Legend of the Galactic Heroes will finish before my BakaBT account gets warned.
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."
"Wars are rarely fought between good and evil; Most are between one good and another good."

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:37 am

If you want more Mahjong action, I highly suggest you to pick up some more manga, there are plenty of those.

The anime format is just simply not suited for Mahjong, IMHO.
How dare you compare Saki to K-On!, Saki sucked.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:58 am

View Original PostMasonFighter wrote:Saki's about Mahjong in the same way K-on is about music.
The mahjong picks up when they finally get to the nationals in the second half of the series; though it is all pretty hax stuff that even Akagi would be flummoxed by. The later parts of the series also show that in that world, mahjong prowess correlates positively with one's Kinsey scale rating.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Old Stickies”