EVAs without electricity: Mechanics and consciousness

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
crystallising
Embryo

EVAs without electricity: Mechanics and consciousness

•      
  •      

Postby crystallising » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:49 am

Rewatching Ep 08 and wondering about Asuka starting up Nigoki on the UN ship gave me a couple of thoughts/questions:

a) In what is supposed to be German, one of the commands Asuka gives is "LCL füllen" = "fill LCL". Where would that come from? Do EVAS have LCL containers inside?

b) How can the entry plug respond to the pilot's orders before the EVA is properly activated, i.e. to activate the EVA? Note also that in the episode where the geofront is left without electricity, we are shown how only heavy manpower can be used to even get the entry plug out in order for the pilots to enter it (with Gendo's personal attention to Shogoki, no less).

c) Since there are actual souls in the EVAs, can we assume that they are always awake and conscious on some basic level, even when not functioning? That would explain how the EVAs were started during both the ocean fight and the power outage once the pilots were inside, also how Shogoki reacted in order to protect Shinji from the debris in the first episode. The latter moment would however also imply that their consciousness is not limited to what happens inside them i.e the entry plug, but also in their surroundings.

d) How much then, do you think, does for instance Yui as Shogokis consciousness realise about the proceedings around her? We see Gendo talking to her/it a couple of times. Is the soul inside an EVA still capable of rational and/or coherent thought? Always? Or only sometimes/when triggered?

tl;dr: Do the EVAs' souls "work" (for lack of a better word) constantly even when they are inactive, and if so, on what level?
この宇宙を抱いて輝く
少年よ 神話になれ

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:01 am

a) Dodging-the-question answer: Animator's license. They need to activate the Eva since there's an Angel around, so they automatically have LCL to fill the plug with.
Fanwank answer: The Core probably holds loads of LCL, seeing as Unit-01's Core technically contains the sea of LCL. We can speculate that this applies to other units to a lesser extent given the lack of in-universe information.
Neither of these is satisfactory, but I doubt you'll get further than that.

b) Voice command, and 2015 technology.

c) Yes, definitely for Yui's case and most likely so for others. Reichu's got cartloads on this.

d) Again, Reichu's the one you want to talk to. In short, yes.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Re: EVAs without electricity: Mechanics and consciousness

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:14 am

View Original Postcrystallising wrote:a) In what is supposed to be German, one of the commands Asuka gives is "LCL füllen" = "fill LCL". Where would that come from? Do EVAS have LCL containers inside?

NERV HQ has an LCL production plant inside terminal dogma which may suggest that the EVAs need to be refilled with it after so many battles, or it could be used for sync tests done without the evas. There is an article that suggests that the core produces the LCL.

View Original Postcrystallising wrote:c) Since there are actual souls in the EVAs, can we assume that they are always awake and conscious on some basic level, even when not functioning? That would explain how the EVAs were started during both the ocean fight and the power outage once the pilots were inside, also how Shogoki reacted in order to protect Shinji from the debris in the first episode. The latter moment would however also imply that their consciousness is not limited to what happens inside them i.e the entry plug, but also in their surroundings.

I think that the EVAs would have some level of conscious but they would only be "awake" when activated. EVA 01 is hard to say, because due to it's construction from Lilith it exhibits different behaviors and abilities than the other Adam based units, which may make it conscious to everything that is going on around it.

View Original Postcrystallising wrote:tl;dr: Do the EVAs' souls "work" (for lack of a better word) constantly even when they are inactive, and if so, on what level?

I would say so because the soul is not an electrical component of the EVA so it would be rational to say that it works even though the EVA is inactive. The best way that I can think of to describe this activity would be to compare the EVA to a person who is sleeping. When a sleep the person is inactive, but at a mental level the brain and subconscious of the person is very active.
Last edited by KnightmareX13 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

crystallising
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby crystallising » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 am

View Original PostAyrYntake wrote:a) Dodging-the-question answer: Animator's license. They need to activate the Eva since there's an Angel around, so they automatically have LCL to fill the plug with.
Fanwank answer: The Core probably holds loads of LCL, seeing as Unit-01's Core technically contains the sea of LCL. We can speculate that this applies to other units to a lesser extent given the lack of in-universe information.
Neither of these is satisfactory, but I doubt you'll get further than that.

Core! That actually makes sense, but wait, what's that about 01's core containing the sea of LCL? Is this said anywhere or is this a conclusion because 01 = Lilith, Lilith = source of LCL?

And yeah, animator's license is probably the real reason, I doubt they sat down and thought about it in-depth :') still, just interested in the technical explanations one could come up with in that matter.

b) Voice command, and 2015 technology.

Hmm, but for voice command to work, you'd still have to have some basic level of stand-by - either by electricity/battery or by soul, which is how I went from that scene to the question of general consciousness...

c) Yes, definitely for Yui's case and most likely so for others. Reichu's got cartloads on this.

d) Again, Reichu's the one you want to talk to. In short, yes.

Ok. *sits and waits* Sorry, I'm a n00b to this board ;)[/i]
この宇宙を抱いて輝く
少年よ 神話になれ

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:23 am

The EGF Wiki wrote:
Eva cores also seem to generate their own supply of LCL (20, 23', 26')
View Original Postcrystallising wrote:Hmm, but for voice command to work, you'd still have to have some basic level of stand-by - either by electricity/battery or by soul, which is how I went from that scene to the question of general consciousness...

Battery seems to do the job well enough. :shrug:

View Original Postcrystallising wrote:That actually makes sense, but wait, what's that about 01's core containing the sea of LCL? Is this said anywhere or is this a conclusion because 01 = Lilith, Lilith = source of LCL?

Argh, I've gotta find this somewhere. I'm not sure it's universally agreed on, but there's definitely a bit of EoE that hints at it, if not more.

View Original Postcrystallising wrote:Sorry, I'm a n00b to this board

You've done better than quite a few of the newcomers around here =D

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:49 pm

View Original Postcrystallising wrote: but wait, what's that about 01's core containing the sea of LCL? Is this said anywhere or is this a conclusion because 01 = Lilith, Lilith = source of LCL?

This a conclusion based on information gleaned from reading the scripts and storyboards. We learned that Shinji never left Unit-01 during Third Impact. Therefore the Sea of LCL must be within Unit-01. Also remember that Seele accused Gendo of planning to use Eva as an ark. The LCL inside the Evas' cores must be vast enough on a quantam basis, at least, to hold the souls of all mankind.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Re: EVAs without electricity: Mechanics and consciousness

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 pm

View Original Postcrystallising wrote:a) In what is supposed to be German, one of the commands Asuka gives is "LCL füllen" = "fill LCL". Where would that come from? Do EVAS have LCL containers inside?

Firstly,

Don´t rely on the German that is spoken in Eva, it´s horribad.

It´s like making sense out of Kaji´s first speech in 2.22.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:35 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:We learned that Shinji never left Unit-01 during Third Impact. Therefore the Sea of LCL must be within Unit-01.

huh?
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

crystallising
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby crystallising » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:37 pm

@ thewayneiac: re Gendo using 01 as an ark, I never gave that any second thought, because for Shinji, it did serve as an ark that permitted him to break out of Lilith/Rei and/or actually allow him the choice of rematerialising which I doubt everyone else had. And the sea of LCL is around 01, not within it. At least that's how I interpreted it.

@ InstrumentalityOne: I can agree wholeheartedly as German is one of my native languages, but most of what she says in that scene is fairly correct and makes sense. What she pronounces is "LCL [fuyin], Anfang der Bewegung (beginning of movement), Anfang des Nervenanschlusses (beginning of nerve connection), [something unintelligible], Synchro Start (start sync)", and [fuyin] comes as close to "füllen" = "fill" as the voice actress probably can pronounce. Hence I assume that's what is meant.
この宇宙を抱いて輝く
少年よ 神話になれ

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:46 am

I think Fuyutsuki mentioned Eva-01 as being an ark for all humanity, at some point during the process of 3I.
As far as I know the scripted German was meant to say "LCL Füllung", though of course what we heard was something else entirely.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”