How disgusting...

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:39 am

Esion wrote:The entire series has judeo-christian themes and then this ps2 game comes out and says that it's really all about aliens. Very disapointing if that's really what gainax and anno were going for. I very much doubt it though.

Oh well...to get back on topic. Like I said before...I wouldn't change a thing. It had a wonderfully open ended ending.

Show me the part of the dead sea scroll that says aliens
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Asuka Loves Toji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Loves Toji » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:41 am

*shows him somthing written in with ball points pen "and yes Religion is totally about aliens - Anno"*
Last edited by Asuka Loves Toji on Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
comming soon so a siggy near you

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:42 am

Well to defend the ps2 game (although I hate it), the idea is that it was written about in the dead sea scrolls but humans are the one who made it into a religious thing. These aliens are so far advanced that they appear to be like gods. At least something along those lines. I dunno....I guess I should just find where I read it.

*searches*
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Asuka Loves Toji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Loves Toji » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:43 am

theres a link to it around here somewhere, cuz thats where i found it

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Guidelines...

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:35 am

Olin of Xephon wrote:Alright vulkurt, I guess I did start this thread with very few guidelines.
Although I find Guidelines have a way of killing a good discussion. :?

*snip*

Hey whatever you think. wether you want to change the entire ending or just make a adjusment here or there.
Eva is over. But how would you have it end?

Given your scenario, I would keep it as Anno intended and not change a thing. I have no problem with his ending.
Done. Guarding.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:59 pm

One must remember that the term "alien" simply refers to a being foreign to, in this case, earth. It still seems a bit odd to classify all angels as "alien," in episode 8, they found an angel still forming in a volcano.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Asuka Loves Toji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Loves Toji » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:08 pm

yeah they seemed to comefrom all over the place though like the couple that were above the atmosphere

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:39 am

Esion wrote:The entire series has judeo-christian themes

no it doesn't. it has judeo-christian symbols and mythology thrown at you from every angle, but it has nothing to do with religion. there are no religious themes at all.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:45 am

coff wrote:

no it doesn't. it has judeo-christian symbols and mythology thrown at you from every angle, but it has nothing to do with religion. there are no religious themes at all.

Oh they're are religious themes, but they have nothing to do with Judaism and Christianity. Mostly Eva draws upon Japanese religious beliefs (a mix of buddhism and shinto..ism..).
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:59 am

all the themes in Eva are psychological.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:08 am

A giant Amateresu like being floating above Japan is pyschological?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:06 am

Dave wrote:A giant Amateresu like being floating above Japan is pyschological?

That's not a theme.

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:32 am

Dave wrote:
coff wrote:

Oh they're are religious themes, but they have nothing to do with Judaism and Christianity. Mostly Eva draws upon Japanese religious beliefs (a mix of buddhism and shinto..ism..).

Well it has plenty of Judeo-christian items in it. As well as the fact that the people believe in a god(s) that they strive to become similar too with complimentation. Crosses galore, the existence of souls, the use of the word angels, the dead sea scrolls and Seele (soul) in German. It has judeo-christain themes...are they what the series is built on? Probably not, but I think they are there.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:15 am

Well, I think Anno is using allusions to Judeo/Christian beliefs. An allusion is used to broaden the scope of the piece. So all these references and allusions to relegious ideas makes Anno's work seem larger on the spectrum since relegion is one of the most influential things on people. And another huge topic of relegions is what is the end? When is the end? Anno acts like Eva IS answer to the end, the acpocalypse, the judgment day, the sabbatical. I think all of this is too make Evangelion a work of monumentous porportions.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Free your mind...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:44 pm

I think it's pretty damn pretentious to say "Eva is about Aliens" or "Eva is about Chistianity" or even "Eva is about people" Because to a point each of these three satements is true.

Eva is about everything and nothing. It depends on what you choose to take out of it.
Eva has undeniable Judeo-Muslim-Christian symbolism that (like cain Luppus said) broadens the Anime's scope.

Turning a blind eye to eny one of the influences cheapens the work, and totally disregards the depth the writer was struggling to input.

Everybody has a different idea about how/what/where/why/what is Evangelion about. The beutiful thing about it is nobody's really wrong.

Eva breaks a lot of rules. Projecting these rules back onto it is just assinine.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:39 pm

To quote the Red Cross Book: "Eva is about people's hearts."
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:05 pm

Phaze wrote:To quote the Red Cross Book: "Eva is about people's hearts."

I remeber that.

If you look at the whole series what do it focus on besides the angels , etc. Peoples heart's that's what
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:17 pm

Timesplitter 01 wrote:Just getting back to the topic , in EoE , Asuka say's how disgusting.

She says this becasue there is no "I" in the japaneese language.
If this had not been the case , it would have said " I feel sick".
Listen to the commentary in EoE

:wink: :wink: :wink:

There's a really big problem with this; the commentary is wrong. Japanese does have a word for the pronoun "I". In fact it has several, including Watashi, Atashi, Boku, and Ore, and probably a few more that I've forgotten. The EOE commentary is infamous for being full of mis-information.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:07 pm

What Evangelion is is a rubberband ball of themes and ideologies that spring out when sumoned by the viewer. Religious themes do exist in Evangelion; whether or not Evangelion was engineered to posess them is another matter. The intentions of the creators have become secondary to the individual experience of every viewer. One could argue that all themes are psychological, one could say that there is a strong Christ/Antichrist parallel, and at the same time one could easily point out that Evangelion stands out as a giant metaphor for East Asia's economic history during the 20th century. All are true. Were they meant to be true? Perhaps not, but when you answer, you must answer each question one at a time, and those answers are based only on individual opinion, since we sometimes forget that even a creator may try to cover their tracks. It's easy to read too much into things, but it's just as easy to deny that there is any substance to whatever illustration one might draw out of them. Does it matter which themes were written into the show, and which ones appeared by sheer coincidence? What is, simply is. Evangelion is not a show about religion, but Evangelion is religious. Evangelion is not a show about the economy, but it holds some fascinating archetypal semblances. Evangelion is a show about the human mind; what it is saying about the human mind may never be agreed upon by its audience at any time.

If somebody says that Evangelion is about something, it's impossible to say that it isn't. That is Eva's true power: it is both the mask and the face being masked.

---
BTW, did somebody already mention Tristan McAvery's theory that Asuka says wha she says because she's pregnant? Just trying to stay on-topic....

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Ditto.

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:33 am

If somebody says that Evangelion is about something, it's impossible to say that it isn't. That is Eva's true power: it is both the mask and the face being masked.

Exactly. I'm saving that one.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”