A very fair review of Evangelion I found

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:39 am

View Original Postshinseiki wrote:Here are a few of the false assumption-laced negative Eva reviews I'm talking about.
Cracked are of course being their usual irreverent selves; themanime have some valid points (that the writing style doesn't talk down to the audience, how horrible the female dub voices are), and even undisputedtruth is right a couple of times (that the driving concept probably doesn't work if you're not into abstract thought, and how EoE!Shinji is painful to watch).

The flip-side to "Evangelion is like a puzzle, you know. Any person can see it and give his/her own answer." is that to get the answer, you have to first have the problem. If you don't, then the series will be at most, a super-robot sci-fi drama with not terribly sympathetic characters.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Zenithfleet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zenithfleet » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:15 am

Argh argh bloody argh. Away for the weekend and look what happens. And only have time for a quick post tonight. Must... resist... wall of text urge...

Okay, most important thing: hey JesuOkatu! Glad you could stop by. It's great to hear your thoughts. And that you haven't been unduly alarmed by us rabid fans obsessively dissecting an anime series all about getting rabid fans to stop obsessing over anime and get out more. Ahem.

Also, this:

JesuOtaku wrote:I was caught in a serious, psychologically damaging depression from December to April of the following year. My life is now compleeeeetely different as a result of all that happened in that span of time. No specifics, obviously, but now I know how it feels to be set adrift that way.

:( I'm truly sorry to hear that, and I hope everything has brightened up for you now. *Zen hugs*

JesuOtaku wrote:Shinji is still an unrealistic extreme and an unsympathetic dumbass to me. The series' proposed "answer" to his problems, whether he embraces it or not (an ambiguous factor) still strikes me as bull-hockey. Now more than EVER now that I've been there. So yay~ I have an answer for that now~ ^^;

Blasphemy! You have been licked by the Black Dog and therefore must sympathise with Shinji on pain of pain. So decrees Mr Stripy Liquorice Orb of Psychiatric Physics. :tongue:

Seriously, no worries. I have no idea of your personal situation, so I hope I'm not being too intrusive by saying this, but I guess Shinji's "answer" isn't the right one for you. Which is only fair; after all, you're not Shinji or Anno. I have no idea of your personal situation, so I hope I'm not being too intrusive, but it sounds to me that although you've suffered depression, the reasons for that depression are probably totally different to Shinji's reasons. You're probably not the same kind of person, so even if you suffer through the same distress, the "truth" that Anno discovered about himself and then apparently drew on for NGE won't necessarily work for you.

(It didn't actually help me much either - I saw the parallels between his experience and mine, but it was only a year later that I realised the deeper causes that had steered Shinji in the direction of depression. I think he was always at risk of it because of his childhood experiences and personality type. That was what made me suddenly 'connect' with him, not the actual depression he sinks into toward the end of the series.)

To use a slightly sketchy analogy, if you lose a leg and end up in the hospital alongside other amputees, you might all experience similar treatment and share the route to recovery... but if you lost that leg because somebody hit you with a blunt instrument (e.g. a truck), you probably won't have the same goals or motives as the fellow who's always had a damaged leg that eventually turned sickly.
Did that make any sense, or am I talking like a Manga dub now?

Will try to catch up with everyone else's posts sometime soon...

View Original PostDIDDY wrote:You remind me of Alaska Slim.

:???:
*wonders if that was a compliment*
*checks Wikipedia*
Clyde 'Slim' Williams?
*is still unsure if that was a compliment*
:look:
*chooses own reality and decides to consider it a compliment*
Arigatz! :kawaii:
Proud fan of the ADV TV dub.
And the on-air episodes.
And Magma Diver.

Sorry.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:27 pm

View Original PostZenithfleet wrote:Did that make any sense, or am I talking like a Manga dub now? |
Made sense to me -- it's not too far from the analogy I've used before for Shinji and Asuka (just because you have the same medical condition doesn't mean you are going to ever like each other).

*wonders if that was a compliment*
*checks Wikipedia*
Clyde 'Slim' Williams?
*is still unsure if that was a compliment*
http://forum.evageeks.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2324
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:55 pm

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:Actually, I agree with her. For the first two thirds of the series, it really is a monster of the week.
Yeah, and I like her point that it's DAMN GOOD MOTW purely on that level. Now, I get Shinseiki's point that there's all kinds of other stuff happening, but I don't think that defeats this point. NGE basically uses the MOTW as part of its setup, but it wouldn't be very effective setup if it wasn't so convincing and if it didn't work so well on that level to begin with.

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:Evangelion is very controversial, and saying her review is invalid just because she couldn't connect with it or be impacted by it is very unfair.
True. The only reason we all care about all of NGE's deep elements to begin with is because it connected to us on some emotional level first. If you take away NGE's ability to make a connection/impact on a viewer who goes into ignorant of it, then all of its depths and complexities probably wouldn't matter since nobody would deem it worthy of the kind of analysis required to uncover that stuff in the first place.

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:I would suggest looking at her review from the point of view of a normal person, an outsider looking in if you will. Then you will see how Eva is on the surface, and realize that this surface is like the Earth's crust. The outside is hospitable and full of life, but it is also plagued with problems and diseases. The deeper you go, however, the more pressure builds up, and only certain things can survive down there. It takes a certain person to truly grasp all of Eva's meaning, and it's unfair to judge JO on her not being that type of person. In fact, it's a more unbiased review than we could ever even hope to accomplish.
Wow... that's a SUPERB metaphor/analogy. Well done sir! I think you make an excellent point about how Jo is basically expressing the POV of an outsider, and it's not an irrelevant or trivial POV. We have to realize that art criticism--and, indeed, life in general--is made up of a variety of perspectives and that we need most are people with an ability to express each perspective as eloquently and intelligently as possible. We need this perhaps just as much (if not more so) than we need to come to some kind of conclusion as to what perspective is "right", which usually only comes with time and increased knowledge. The fact is that NGE simply DOESN'T connect with some people, but what has always been missing is a voice from that community that could eloquently express why it doesn't connect, and that's what Jo has provided.

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:Reviews cannot be objective like we all want them to be. Rei IS emotionless, Shinji DOES whine a lot. It may be justified in both cases, but it makes them very hard to like. This is a negative aspect, and is a very valid one.
Well, it is theoretically possible to be objective, but the problem is that the more objective you become, the more you just start writing about banal facts than anything related to how the work effected you. FWIW, I think Rei is only "superficially" emotionless; as Zuggy once proved, she actually shows a pretty wide range of emotions through her facial expressions, but they're easy to go unnoticed. And I'm not sure if either of those count as an objectively negative aspect. The fact that Shinji whines and Rei is emotionless is more or less descriptive rather than qualitative. You can't downright make the claim that every character that whines is bad and every character that isn't overly emotional is bad too...

View Original Postshinseiki wrote:Evangelion IS a monster of the week anime ON THE SURFACE, but if you look past the black and white, you'll find that Eva used typical anime tropes as a vehicle to tap into something much greater than anime's familiar conventions, something greater than anime itself.
Not that I disagree with this, but I think its important to consider that all of these levels--NGE as MOTW, NGE as piece of subversive metafiction, NGE as existentialism, NGE as high drama/suspense, etc.--essentially work together toward a common goal. So while it's fair to say some of these elements are superficial, even the superficial element exists for an important reason.

View Original Postshinseiki wrote:What I take issue with in the negative Eva reviews I've seen is that they make up unfair OBJECTIVE negative criticisms because of their SUBJECTIVE experience with it (like me hypothetically saying that the well-prepared sushi is no good); it's rather dishonest.
Is it any more honest that we transform our positive subjective experiment into positive subjective criticism? The fact is that I don't think you can completely separate the subjective experience of art from the objective analysis of that art. The reason why artistic standards (or any standards, really) exist at all is because people experience art, react positively to some, and try to create some kind of standard based on that positivity. So it's like saying "Birth of a Nation works wonders dramatically/technically, it does so because of its editing, so let's create a standard by which to measure dramatic editing in film." That's how the process happens. People don't create standards from BAD art, unless they're standards of what NOT to do.

Even if we assume that such objective standards exist that are free from the subjective experience, that doesn't mean that they are definite and absolute. One of the fascinating things about art is that opposing methods can be equally valid, and which is better will merely depend on what the artist is going for. And even if they go for the typically technically "right" choice, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be good. I mean, there's the typical "three act structure" in screenwriting, but that doesn't mean that every script which utilizes it is good and everyone that diverts from it is bad.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:26 am

If there was such a thing as an objective review, it would be a rather useless review. It would be like a computer reviewing a movie. It can only go on data and objective truth, and it can't form its own opinion. The only way to review Eva objectively is give a brief plot synopsis. That's it. Everything else, in every form of media, requires emotional connection, and as soon as you say the word "emotion," it becomes subjective. An objective review is damn near impossible, and certainly useless.

Also to add to my earth's crust metaphor; When you go down that deep, you find some of the most valuable things we have. Diamonds and gold and other metals are the emotional valuables that people who connect with Eva can reap the benefits, or detriments, of.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Good review. Even better thread. Took me a long time to read, but everyone made excellent points. Just wanted to say that. Thank you guys.

As for her criticisms of Shinji being weak and the show's principal philosophy, it is literally G. K. Chesterton's criticism of "materialist madmen" and "excessive free thought" at the beginning of his Orthodoxy.

Chesterton wrote:The old fairy tale makes the hero a normal human boy; it is his adventures that are startling; they startle him because he is normal. But in the modern psychological novel the hero is abnormal; the centre is no central. Hence the fiercest adventures fail to affect him adequately and the book is monotonous.

As for the philosophy, the simple argument against is total free thought always produces the thought of thoughtlessness, which I assume Chesterton to mean to be Nietzschian up to Sartrian ideas about the importance of pure will and authenticity.

In the end, all these so-called paradoxes can easily be resolved with Lacan's triad. Existentialism is nothing more than admitting immediate reality as only Symbolic. Reaching the absurd is reaching The Real.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:05 am

^ awwww, hells yeh, planet news just went all philosophicetical on our azzes.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:01 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:^ awwww, hells yeh, planet news just went all philosophicetical on our azzes.

Well, I THINK I disagree with him, but who knows.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:56 am

View Original Postplanet news wrote:As for her criticisms of Shinji being weak and the show's principal philosophy, it is literally G. K. Chesterton's criticism of "materialist madmen" and "excessive free thought" at the beginning of his Orthodoxy.

Shinji can also be criticized from an existentialistic viewpoint. Kierkegaard and Nietzsche emphasized the individual who must live his life passionately, but Shinji is reluctant and meek till the end. The epiphanies to which Shinji comes are always on the theoretical level, and we are put in the dark of what happens after EoE, which is against the spirit of existentialism as a practical philosophy applicable to everyday life.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:11 am

Existentialism is nothing more than admitting immediate reality as only Symbolic. Reaching the absurd is reaching The Real.

As much as this sounds flawless (and awfully pretentious) it's somewhat silly to follow Lacan's model THAT FAR because the absurd is too difficult to grasp. The division is indeed there, (though we cannot grasp its entirety) but we're only human, therefore we operate on the plane of the symbolic. Reaching the absurd is like reaching another level we can scarcely fathom. Psychoanalysis is certainly helpful, but even Freud and Jung noted its limitations.

That's how I compromise my love of Zizek and Sartre, really.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:44 am

View Original Postshinseiki wrote:http://www.cracked.com/funny-2150-evangelion/

You DO realize that this wasn´t written by an official Cracked editor and that Cracked is a HUMOR site.

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:33 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:You DO realize that this wasn´t written by an official Cracked editor and that Cracked is a HUMOR site.

I do, but the assessments in that particular article were obviously made with serious intent even though they were presented humorously.

Welp, since this thread has been necro'd, I may as well give a blanket reply to the replies to my last post in this thread. Yes, I understand that any objective assessment one makes will be influenced by if not defined by the subjective and experiential, but sometimes the assessments we make are unfounded, born of lack of research or otherwise wrong. Most of the popular negative criticisms of Eva are. For example, Rei being "emotionless" or "scarcely sentient". (This is a case of nature versus nurture: she does have emotions and feelings, but having lived like a lab rat for most of her life, she doesn't express them the way most people who've had more exposure to society do. See this essay written by her seiyū Megumi Hayashibara.) And then there's the assertion that the psychological undertones (or at some points overtones) of Evangelion are just a bunch of psychobabble from Anno. (Nope.) And finally the obnoxious assumption that the religious allusions are meaningless mind games with no relevance to the actual story taking place. (Nuh-uh.) So no, it isn't that I have a problem with anyone disliking and/or harshly criticizing Evangelion, but if you're going to do so, have a legitimate reason for it and get your facts straight.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:26 pm

Sorry to reanimate a dead thread, but since we were discussing Shinji so much, I thought that I should share how, recently, I've realized that he is a realistic character. I was wrong in my previous judgment, and I now see that he is a realistic, but improbable character.

Sanada Yukimura
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Sanada Yukimura » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:40 pm

This is finally a negative opinion of NGE that I'm willing to admit has some value and merit. It features the best aspects of criticism without falling into its easy fallacies and pitfalls.

I think she has a point.She has spoken well(although I was not able to understand all the stuff),her arguments are well developed mainly envolved with sarcasm but... she lacked deep knowledge required if u want to analyse Evangelion in Philoshycal or Psychological point of view.

And I really don't think Evangelion is solypstic as she says,at surface Evangelion seems like a drama with bunch of dark and sick side of human being(and maybe the exuberant dramatic scenes could be criticized,as she did in some part,although that's a characteristic of Anime series ),but in its core the message is positive.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXa7fnaI-Qs&feature=related[/url]
This guy seems to know more about what he is talking when he speaks about Existencialism.
I didn't understand so much about what she said about it,but one of her major mistakes was about Atheism....Existencialism became solidified and today's well known by Sartre and, in spite of his version is atheistic,there are now branches of Existecialism that claims Christians at same time(there are some books about Christian Existencialism in every library)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:06 pm

View Original PostSanada Yukimura wrote:[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXa7fnaI-Qs&feature=related[/url]
Interesting link. I'm watching this now.

Seph
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seph » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:25 am

She's watching it in English!!
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:31 am

^I liked the EoE english dub.

The TV series dub was just unwatchable.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:28 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:^I liked the EoE english dub.

Same actors though, isn't it?

I actually agree, though. Much as I love Spike Spencer, he can't act Shinji as bipolarly as he's portrayed in the series, and usually just defaults to playing him for comedy. It does not work. God knows that in NGE, Shinji gets played enough for comedy that will become more than a little disturbing by the time the End rolls around. But in EoE, Spike actually seems to take matters quite seriously, and although his action still isn't great, he's lost the prepubescent squealing most of the time in favor of a kind of my-voice-just-broke-and-I'm-really-insecure-about-it mumble - which is actually a lot more like Ogata's voice than the one he's been using. It helps, I guess, that there's basically nothing in all of EoE that he could conclude was supposed to be played for comedy.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Sanada Yukimura
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Sanada Yukimura » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:27 pm

After reading some of the recent posts ,I think it would be good to relate some quotes:
View Original PostBorn of Lilith wrote:I understand what you're saying. Evangelion was created by a hurting person and it certainly connects with the hurting more than it does with anyone else.
View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:If you don't, then the series will be at most, a super-robot sci-fi drama with not terribly sympathetic characters.
JesuOtaku wrote:
Shinji is still an unrealistic extreme and an unsympathetic dumbass to me.

I think one reason why some people thinks NGE is just overrated is that they don't want or can't feel/understand the suffering and internal problems of the characters.Or they just overreact in face of Shinji (because he exposes us to our own fragility and doubt)in order to protect themselves or their personals' value.Because if you rip out all character's internal problems and drama,you will see just a mecha fight against aliens who wants to destroys the world in a catastrophic way.

But one proof NGE is touching is that the main protagonist can't be ignored,Shinji arouses the most radical depth empathy and scorn of all people (at least until today).Or does Goku and Ichigo arouse such radical sides?

And maybe that's because Shinji is a character that exists in each one in major or lesser level,he is like the weakness of one of us,the sick side of one,Anno's fragility exposed in Shinji can be seen not as a particular case,but in general case of human condition-even some all-powerful son's of papa can not be neutral to this fragility of human being in the world,they surely will overreact in face of Shinji if they watch NGE.

People who have already experimented depression and social phobia and other stuff like that can easily identify his personal problems in NGE.

But u don't need to be depressed to appreciate NGE's art.For some people who likes a lot art and cinema,but has never had a dark crisis in their life ,I think they can appreciate NGE.The matter is on the perspective of the one who watches.

You can't watch NGE the same way you watch Dragon Ball,Death Note,Bleach.You need to watch carefully each scene in order to look to the subtle details,and then relate it with other scenes that you've seen.You need to interprenetrate in the world of Shinji ,Asuka and the others to understand a bit the way they see the world.You need to extract some information that is implicit behind of some scenes and images.You need to feel inside the plot to appreciate some images like those wide-shots.
Last edited by Sanada Yukimura on Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Seph
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seph » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:34 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:^I liked the EoE english dub.

I hate them both, but the EoE dub is watchable, if I don't have anything else. I'm trying to introduce a friend to the series, and I've lent him one of my Platinum Collection sets, but he refuses to listen to the Japanese version!

I mean, Spike does ok-ish for the humour and MOTW part of the series, but I just can't see him taking Spike seriously once the shit hits the fan :(

Also, he's missing out on the amazing Hayashibara and Miyamura, switching them for Amanda Winn and, *shudder*, Tiffany Grant :sadomaso:

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”