The Light That Dies Like a... Spider?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

The Light That Dies Like a... Spider?

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:52 am

Sachi posting this image in the Lights/01 thread:
made me think about a curiosity I've often had: why do 01's wings of light "die" like a spider? As if they fold under itself. That seems like a very odd way to depict that sequence and an even odder association to make...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:55 am

I figured it was just Eva-01's pretty wings of light folding back into herself in a creative manner. But maybe I'm wrong.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:58 am

Even the wings themselves look remarkably like spider's legs. Maybe I'm just seeing things, but we'll see what everyone else has to say.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:07 am

That sequence has always stuck out in my mind as well, and I even made that same relation to a spider. It is quite an odd way to depict that and I wonder if there is any significance behind it.

If anywhere, a good place to start looking would be the shots of Adam's wings in 2I, the clip of Unit-01 spreading it's wings in the Opening Credits, and when Unit-01's wings first come out in EoE.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

J_Faulkner
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby J_Faulkner » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:33 am

Quite clearly, there are 12 branches, so the image is more reminiscent of a decapod rather than an arachnid. The orange color reminds one of a crab or a lobster. We all know that crabs and lobsters live in the water, and thus, the imagery gives a sense of depth in the downward direction. This is in contrast to the wing imagery that is reminiscent of a bird, especially the orange wings of a Phoenix that reminds one of a spiritual rebirth. Thus, the imagery shows how the psychic energy invested in the emergence of the Self to consciouness (wings) is being channelled back to the unconscious (water), leaving behind the Self to shine in all its radiance (Evangelion's eyes).
Examine me, O Lord, and prove me.
Try my reins and my heart.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:59 am

J_Faulkner wrote:Quite clearly, there are 12 branches, so the image is more reminiscent of a decapod rather than an arachnid.

Nobody was claiming it to actually be the legs of a spider. We're merely remarking on the way the legs of each wing are spread and subsequently fold resembles that of a spider.

The orange color reminds one of a crab or a lobster. We all know that crabs and lobsters live in the water, and thus, the imagery gives a sense of depth in the downward direction.

Using only a single color to give such a bold statement is quite a stretch. If you could find supplementary detail in regards to this theory, I'd be quite receptive to it.

This is in contrast to the wing imagery that is reminiscent of a bird, especially the orange wings of a Phoenix that reminds one of a spiritual rebirth.

This I do like. The concept of Rebirth is a evident theme seen several times throughout the entire movie. So perhaps the relation to a Phoenix is a solid direction to take this explanation.

EDIT: I also snatched these pictures from the movie:
SPOILER: Show

ImageImage

And when Unit-01 awakens:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:56 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Even the wings themselves look remarkably like spider's legs. Maybe I'm just seeing things, but we'll see what everyone else has to say.

"It looks cool." - Anno

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:15 pm

Lilith is Loloth.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:37 pm

Probably Anno liking the way a spider crumples when it dies; he often has fascinations with certain movements in all manner of things. As for the symbolism I'm not even going to try. It is pretty tho~
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:48 am

Allemann wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:Even the wings themselves look remarkably like spider's legs. Maybe I'm just seeing things, but we'll see what everyone else has to say.

"It looks cool." - Anno

/thread

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:57 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I figured it was just Eva-01's pretty wings of light folding back into herself in a creative manner. But maybe I'm wrong.

Allemann wrote:"It looks cool." - Anno

This is how I look at it, and until someone can factually prove what it was meant to represent, I'm looking at it as a Rorschach test. It's up to you to draw your own interpretation.

Personally, I think it was meant to be visually interesting, like so many other elements in that sequence.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:27 pm

honestly i never gave it a second glance, but as some have mentioned crab, crab is representative of death, but i doubt this was what he was going for.
ANATA BAKA !?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:38 pm

There is a general "insect" motif to the Angel/Eva wings though(Example here). Adam's wings are also similar, and even Lilith's to a degree.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm disappointed no one seemed to get my terrible joke.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:29 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:I'm disappointed no one seemed to get my terrible joke.

I was going to mention something about Drizzt escaping her clutches, but I figured that'd be even worse.

Also, that shot is more of a personalized artistic motif than anything. You make what you will of it. To me personally, it represents the death of instrumentality and the withdrawal of Yui back into Unit-01.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:28 pm

I think it's an intentional reference to spider legs. Symbolic visual cue on death.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:01 pm

Maybe it’s supposed to represent a regression of sorts. From the way the wings are folding in on them selves, it looks like all the potential power unit 1 had is falling back on itself and becoming nothing once again.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:35 pm

VoidEater wrote:I think it's an intentional reference to spider legs. Symbolic visual cue on death.
ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:There is a general "insect" motif to the Angel/Eva wings though(Example here). Adam's wings are also similar, and even Lilith's to a degree.
I think these two succinctly answer the question; Anno wanted to give a visual representation of death and since he already had an "insect" (yes, technically, spider isn't an insect; for the purposes of this it doesn't really matter) motif associated to Angel/Eva wings then that was just a natural choice.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: The Light That Dies Like a... Spider?

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:23 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Sachi posting this image in the Lights/01 thread:
made me think about a curiosity I've often had: why do 01's wings of light "die" like a spider? As if they fold under itself. That seems like a very odd way to depict that sequence and an even odder association to make...

A spider's method of locomotion is by running blood through it's legs at varying speeds. A spider curls up when it dies because the blood had ceased running through it's legs. And will all of the references of blood=LCL, one can see the poetic similarities as the wings curl up like spider legs after losing all of the LCL from her body.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: The Light That Dies Like a... Spider?

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:34 am

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:A spider's method of locomotion is by running blood through it's legs at varying speeds. A spider curls up when it dies because the blood had ceased running through it's legs. And will all of the references of blood=LCL, one can see the poetic similarities as the wings curl up like spider legs after losing all of the LCL from her body.

That is an interesting perceptive on it. But LCL never comes out of the body of Unit-01. But I like the concept.

Let me provide an alternative to LCL: One every occasion we see those wings (other than the OP), it's been in an attempt significantly alter life as we know it. With Adam, it was to wipe out all Lilith-based life; in EoE it was when Instrumentality has about to start.

Perhaps the wings are more related to Instrumentality? In EoE, Unit-01 spreads its wings right before Instrumentality takes place and things begin to get all crazy. However, at the end of the movie, with Instrumentality being rejected, the wings curl up and die, as if the lifeblood of Instrumentality stops flowing.

It's just a thought; I could be way off with this one.
Last edited by Sachi on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Sachi

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”