Why they never built an AT-field gun ?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Hurray for Reichu!

I would think that a pure AT field bullet could be possible

SPOILER: Show
In rebuild, didn't TT Unit 01 sorta blast its arm off to repel Zeruel?
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:39 pm

"TT"? And as far as I could tell...

SPOILER: Show
I'm not completely sure what you're referring to... When Eva-01's ATF-arm had shit pop out of it and Zeruel got pushed away? That would just be typical "I push you away with my Ego Boundary now" stuff, albeit inflated by Enhanced Budget / Eye Candy.

In 19, Yui throws her ATF at Zeruel and really messes his shit up. If the Evas can already do stuff like that, why bother with something comparatively sissy like bullets?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Rodeo wrote:Assuming that they don't, how do you know that the FAR do have A.T. Fields? If they do, wouldn't it kinda make sense for the Lances of Longinii have them too, since they derive from the FAR just like the seeds.

The FAR/Elohim have features that are realized in Lilim's and Angels' fruits. They have them naturally, so it can be concluded they don't have S2 engines, for instance, but they do have all its effects. According to my fanwanking, the closest physical resemblance of a FAR/Elohim member an NGE character has is Kaworu. I'd add avian appendages too.

Now, the Lance doesn't derive from the FAR in the literal sense. It's a manufactured object. Given FAR/Elohims vast scientific knowledge, it isn't hard to see why they can break A.T. Fields without another A.T. Field and Lilim can't.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Allemann wrote:According to my fanwanking, the closest physical resemblance of a FAR/Elohim member an NGE character has is Kaworu. I'd add avian appendages too.

lolwut

First off, a bit of advice. Assuming you came up with "elohim" yourself (I see what you did there), try not to force your own meme too much. People thought it was obnoxious when I did it ("I have pet names for things! I'll use them in my posts until you use them, too!"), and I assume they think it's obnoxious when people other than me do it.

Second, no idea where you've come up with the idea that the FAR would look like Kaworu, unless you've been taking certain scenes in NGE2 super literally. Kaworu's appearance is a reflection of (A) the donor (a Lilin), and (B) albino-like pigmentation perhaps not unlike what Adam had.

If you want the best possible idea of what the FAR might have looked like, check out their envoys. Lilith's a bit ... bizarre, so maybe she's not the best indication, but Adam (judging from the Evas) is suspiciously biological for a god meant to be powered by unlimited energy. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense -- unless "Man created God in his own image", as it were. Conveniently, FAR who look like little versions of Adam would bear a rather close resemblance to the Grays of lore, but a lot cooler. I mean, four nostrils. How awesome is that.

Oh, and something about guns.
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Reichu wrote:
Oh, and something about guns.

Yes about that. Why not just take samples of the LoL for new weapon creation? Maybe guns but even swords would be cool...The Sword of Longinus SoL!?
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:00 pm

wonderluster wrote:Yes about that. Why not just take samples of the LoL for new weapon creation? Maybe guns but even swords would be cool...The Sword of Longinus SoL!?

If some ancient and failed attempt of mine to read Yamashita's comment about the Spear of Longinus in Sore o nasumono wasn't a complete failure, I do believe he had considered making the Spear a firearms. The staff of the Spear was like the barrel, and the Eva would load some kind of rounds into it, or something. Whatever it was, I was very glad the idea didn't make it, because it sounded utterly retarded.

The Spear spitting out little Baby Spears (think Cell and Cell Jr.), on the other hand, might work, though it would be cheap as hell.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:16 pm

Reichu wrote:The Spear spitting out little Baby Spears (think Cell and Cell Jr.), on the other hand, might work, though it would be cheap as hell.

I see what you did there. ^_^
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Starasp
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Starasp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Allemann wrote:
Rodeo wrote:Assuming that they don't, how do you know that the FAR do have A.T. Fields? If they do, wouldn't it kinda make sense for the Lances of Longinii have them too, since they derive from the FAR just like the seeds.

The FAR/Elohim have features that are realized in Lilim's and Angels' fruits. They have them naturally, so it can be concluded they don't have S2 engines, for instance, but they do have all its effects. According to my fanwanking, the closest physical resemblance of a FAR/Elohim member an NGE character has is Kaworu. I'd add avian appendages too.

Now, the Lance doesn't derive from the FAR in the literal sense. It's a manufactured object. Given FAR/Elohims vast scientific knowledge, it isn't hard to see why they can break A.T. Fields without another A.T. Field and Lilim can't.

I am of the opinion that the FAR are life forms of pure energy. I base this opinion on absolutely nothing, because there is nothing use as a base on them.
My handwriting is atrocious, so I cannot sign my signature. Sorry for any trouble this may cause.

"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you." -Legion

"The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!" - Ford Prefect, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:17 pm

Starasp wrote:I am of the opinion that the FAR are life forms of pure energy. I base this opinion on absolutely nothing, because there is nothing use as a base on them.

I'm pretty sure that, shortly before I left, there was a thread arguing about the nature of the FAR, and that the inescapable conclusion was that, based on the little evidence available, anybody who claimed they weren't a naturally-evolved biological species was just making shit up. Or something like that. (I totally would have linked to the thread, but I'm a failure at finding it right now. A total failure.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

EVA X
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Well, in EOE, Unit 2 uses its AT Field as an explosive wave to destroy a bunch of aircraft. I figure NERV could just build a gun or equipment that channels that energy from the EVA.

*shrug*
Last edited by EVA X on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:21 am

Well, in EOE, Unit 2 uses it's AT Field as an explosive wave to destroy a bunch of aircraft.

No.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

EVA X
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:13 am

AuraTwilight wrote:
Well, in EOE, Unit 2 uses it's AT Field as an explosive wave to destroy a bunch of aircraft.

No.

Um yes. EVA Unit 2 waves its arm, an AT-Field flashes, cue explosions.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:45 am

EVA X wrote:Um yes. EVA Unit 2 waves its arm, an AT-Field flashes, cue explosions.

Unit-02 uses her AT Field to cause the aircrafts to explode; her AT Field doesn't become an explosion itself.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

EVA X
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:55 am

Sachi wrote:
EVA X wrote:Um yes. EVA Unit 2 waves its arm, an AT-Field flashes, cue explosions.

Unit-02 uses her AT Field to cause the aircrafts to explode; her AT Field doesn't become an explosion itself.

Ok well I worded it wrong, but it did become a weapon, no?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:00 am

EVA X wrote:Ok well I worded it wrong, but it did become a weapon, no? Ho

Correct. And it is the first case in which a pilot has utilized the AT Field as such and not for defensive or neutral purposes. Though, in 19 the Beserk/Awakened Unit-01 does something similar to Zeruel, completely destroying the Angel's AT Field. Otherwise, Angels, particularly Sahaquiel, have been able to make use of their AT Fields offensively; in fact, that's the only case I can think of now.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

EVA X
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:13 am

Sachi wrote:
EVA X wrote:Ok well I worded it wrong, but it did become a weapon, no? Ho

Correct. And it is the first case in which a pilot has utilized the AT Field as such and not for defensive or neutral purposes. Though, in 19 the Beserk/Awakened Unit-01 does something similar to Zeruel, completely destroying the Angel's AT Field. Otherwise, Angels, particularly Sahaquiel, have been able to make use of their AT Fields offensively; in fact, that's the only case I can think of now.

So it can be used as a weapon, we know that much. But could the defense feature be adapted into a rifle? I don't see why not....thought I think the weapon would need to be organic, or within the EVA itself. It'd be one hell of a weapon methinks. If you take the defense capabilities and adapt that into rifle or cannon shots, you got one devastating weapon.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:31 am

If we decide to deviate from canon and look to the works of Re-Take, Eva 01 shoots its AT Field at Arael to prevent Asuka's mind rape.

'Course, in this situation, the pilot had a ridiculously high synch ratio, and an Eva, so it might be possible to make some Eva along the lines of Rebuild's Gogouki (i.e. a device where the Eva itself is the cannon and fires AT Field projections like that).
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:36 am

I guess you missed all that AT-field mojo involved with Sahaquiel? I know it was already mentioned in this thread...

EVA X
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:36 am

Agentomega wrote:If we decide to deviate from canon and look to the works of Re-Take, Eva 01 shoots its AT Field at Arael to prevent Asuka's mind rape.

'Course, in this situation, the pilot had a ridiculously high synch ratio, and an Eva, so it might be possible to make some Eva along the lines of Rebuild's Gogouki (i.e. a device where the Eva itself is the cannon and fires AT Field projections like that).

KamehameAT-Field? :shifty:

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:08 am

EVA X wrote:
Agentomega wrote:If we decide to deviate from canon and look to the works of Re-Take, Eva 01 shoots its AT Field at Arael to prevent Asuka's mind rape.

KamehameAT-Field? :shifty:

Hehehehe... That made me think of
BWAAAAAH!
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”