Why they never built an AT-field gun ?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Is it just me, or is anyone else getting District 9 vibes from this topic?

District 9 would have been greatly improved if bosnian Shinji appeared, having found his true calling as a pig-cannon projectile.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:49 pm

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:

The flying Kaworu's made me giggle a bit. :smirk:

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Allemann wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:Oh, right, sure, let's just HAND OUT components for Third Impact to the Angels. Great idea thar.

Then Rei it is, same principle applicable.

That's even WORSE. More dangerous to give to the Angels, and less effective at killing them.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:28 am

I don't know why they don't just use nuclear energy to power their weapons. Same punch, more portable.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Layla
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Layla » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:20 am

AuraTwilight wrote:Because it's not really physically possible.

This is going to be my new argument for everything in this forum. :jiggy:
In the sunlit garden, hand in hand, we drew close and soothed each other with the words, "Neither of us will ever fall in love again."

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:07 am

Taekmkm wrote:I don't know why they don't just use nuclear energy to power their weapons. Same punch, more portable.

Which is not only a bureaucratic legal clusterfuck, but is also absolutely useless against superbeings who can just deny reality at a subatomic level, killing fucking everyone in Tokyo 3 through the fallout while doing nothing to the Angel. Good show.

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:58 am

You could probably find a way to partially invert an AT Field on itself so that it forms a blade or a type of offensive weapon, but it's impossible to use an AT Field in a cannon. I know the sauce is good, but you gotta lay off dude.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:01 am

Taekmkm wrote:I don't know why they don't just use nuclear energy to power their weapons.

[URL=http://img42.imageshack.us/i/jetalone.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:21 am

That's why I said weapon. A good ole Beam bazooka is good enough for most of the Angels. [/i]
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:04 am

Taekmkm wrote:That's why I said weapon. A good ole Beam bazooka is good enough for most of the Angels.

Arael called. He would like to chat with you. Besides, most won't cut it in the end, considering just one angel could eliminate an entire city in less than 24 hours.

In all honesty, I cannot see any way an AT field penetrating gun could ever be feasible. AT fields are almost a complete mystery to the scientists (even with the years of research). They don't know what they are made of, so they couldn't possibly know what would be needed to penetrate one.
Take a wild guess at what the AV means....
Adult Video? -The Eva Monkey

You raise the blade...
You make the change...
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane...

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:20 am

Taekmkm wrote:That's why I said weapon. A good ole Beam bazooka is good enough for most of the Angels. [/i]

No it wouldn't; and Operation Yashima was so fucking inefficient, risky, and ultimately irresponsible that if you're seriously suggesting they try and use it on every Angel, you're several different kinds of daft.

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:19 am

AuraTwilight wrote:
Taekmkm wrote:That's why I said weapon. A good ole Beam bazooka is good enough for most of the Angels. [/i]

No it wouldn't; and Operation Yashima was so fucking inefficient, risky, and ultimately irresponsible that if you're seriously suggesting they try and use it on every Angel, you're several different kinds of daft.
Although they did use the positron cannon again against Arael, I think. Granted it didn't work.

You raise the blade...
You make the change...

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:43 pm

Yea, and it was sitting stationary in orbit, not doing anything. The Positron Cannon only works if the Angel is nice enough to sit still for many, many hours.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:50 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:Yea, and it was sitting stationary in orbit, not doing anything. The Positron Cannon only works if the Angel is nice enough to sit still for many, many hours.

Just had to point out that like at least half of the angels were conveniently stationary at one point or another :pwnd:

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:26 pm

Yea, but not for 12+ fucking hours.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:24 pm

It's not cost-effective: it would take the same time and resources, and a missile can only be used once whereas an eva can be used multiple times.

Kamina
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamina » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:20 am

Im assuming that you guys are talking about the original series, within that timeliness context you would have to basically take a test body and put it into a casing and make it a giant at field sword or blade by inverting a at field onto itself but the length would never be long enough to be on the level of a gun. This isnt really worth the trouble.

You would be far better off finding a controlled way to manage anti-at fields in weaponized form to and make the angels at fields disappear, then their kinda out of luck since tanks and artillery suddenly work and that's if they don't get tanged. Since AT fields are impossible to explain in math that's mean this is nearly impossible since man relies on the flawed concept of mathematics far to much.

SPOILER: Show
In the context of rebuild it would seemingly be possible for eva in certain circumstances to use a AT Cannon per say. Unit one turned its energy arm into a death cannon to majorly hurt Zeruel, but so far eva have only been able to do this when they are triggering third impact so only the spawn of adam could do this if the same rules from the series applies.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:54 am

Since AT fields are impossible to explain in math that's mean this is nearly impossible since man relies on the flawed concept of mathematics far to much.

Wrong.

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:14 am

Kamina wrote:man relies on the flawed concept of mathematics far to much.
Um......what?

You're lucky ObsessiveMathsFreak hasn't showed up yet. You will be lectured at.

You raise the blade...
You make the change...

Kamina
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamina » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:00 pm

Me and math don't get along to well sorry lol, largely because i struggle with it and if you think about it a lot of formulas are ultimately incorrect but are the closest thing to finding a pattern of truth in reality that we can.

Im pretty sure that Anti AT fields were clearly stated and show in the End of Evangelion to be impossible to analyze with mathematics, they even showed a computer going insane as it tried to analyze it.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”