Sun/moon/earth visual lexicon

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

Sun/moon/earth visual lexicon

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:38 am

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays

Misato: "People cannot live without the mothers of life -- the Sun, Earth, and Moon. But an Angel that isn't dependent on them would be a new form of life, capable of surviving the harshest conditions."

This seems like a rather key element to why the sun/moon motifs are used for Asuka and Rei, and also represented in other mindtrips..

Xard
Banned

Re: Sun/moon/earth visual lexicon

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:51 am

FallenTabris wrote:
This seems like a rather key element to why the sun/moon motifs are used for Asuka and Rei, and also represented in other mindtrips..

it doesn't have anything to do with sun/moon motifs

lol, sorry, I'm being rather rude :lol:

Context:

Misato: "Shinji-kun... what's made you fight up until now?"
Shinji is silent.
Misato: "The Angels. Enigmatic, non-communicative entities. The 18th Angel remaining in the end is mankind. The Angel called Lilin, born from Lilith, who is like Adam.[5]"
Misato: "Angels and Man are fundamentally the same thing. Angels are merely another possible humanity: humans that cast aside human form."
Misato: "People cannot live without the mothers of life -- the Sun, Earth, and Moon. But an Angel that isn't dependent on them would be a new form of life, capable of surviving the harshest conditions.
Misato: "Eva was its model."
Misato: "People will probably perish, any which way. But right this moment, we can't just sit back and let humanity get annihilated."
Misato: "Okay? Destroy the entire Eva Series. Preventing Third Impact is the only way everyone can stay alive."

it might be as well random reference to humanity's post-HIP status

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:16 am

Xard wrote:it might be as well random reference to humanity's post-HIP status

It just says people are highly dependent on their natural habitat, and Angels are beings that can live practically anywhere.

If this is true, how much random was Lilith's Black Moon collision with Earth? Humans can't live everywhere.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:22 pm

Allemann wrote:
Xard wrote:it might be as well random reference to humanity's post-HIP status

It just says people are highly dependent on their natural habitat, and Angels are beings that can live practically anywhere.

If this is true, how much random was Lilith's Black Moon collision with Earth? Humans can't live everywhere.

O.O Mind Freak! Funny how everything happen like it did huh?
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:10 pm

Strictly in the visual sense... Asuka: sun (mentally bright, how outgoing she is), Rei: moon (Lilith. The Black Moon helping to create the Moon during 1I. Also the Black Moon itself), Shinji: earth (Staying grounded in Reality).

Other than that, I figured the sun/moon/earth motif represents what people need to survive.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:28 pm

Misato is simply stating here that life on earth needs the safety of the earth, and energy from the sun. Why the moon is here explicitly is probably for poetic reasons. Essentially, Misato is stating that humans need outside natural forces in order to sustain them.

Angels however, with their S^2 organs, need none of these things. Perhaps here "harshest conditions" comment was meant to suggest that Evas could be used for colonisations, or at least a different form of colonisation than, say, ordinary panspermia or colony ship exercises.

In any case, we have plenty of evidence for Angels adapting to their environment. Gaghiel and Sandalphon in particular. Angles don't need a pre-existing environment capable of supporting life like humans do.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:14 pm

She does say, though, that an Angel who could survive outside of those things would be "a new form of life." She might've been implying that the Angels need it too.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:55 pm

So, along with here words that Eva was the model for this new form of life, perhaps the Angels cannot survive simply anywhere but instead permanently adapt to their environment in a potentially irreversible way? Perhaps Misato is referring to one of the earlier goals of project E.

That goal might have been to create a new being that could survive indefinitely anywhere. Does this tie in to Yui's words in EoE about the Eva lasting after the sun, earth and moon are all gone? Is it this early goal that Misato is referring to, or has come across? Is this in fact Yui's final objective?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:19 pm

The Evangelions are clones of Adam, a Seed of Life, so you can't compare it with the normal Angels.

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Sorry for the ancient topic bump but, on re-watching the series and reading through that screenplay again, the "three mothers" thing does seem kind of deliberate. Rei, Misato and Asuka are always grouped in Shinji's mind-trips (in ep. 16 as well as in EoE) as his collective view of a woman. Given the other shots where Asuka is shown with the sun and Rei with the moon, I do feel that this grouping is deliberate.

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:36 pm

What sun/moon motifs are you referring to? The only one I noticed was in the monologue in NGETV Episode 26, when Asuka laments the midday sun and Rei laments the sitting sun.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:40 pm

Pretty sure this ANF thread covers it: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/4438/Rei-and-the-Moon/

Can't find the thread(s) about Asuka = sun, but I know it was discussed a lot in the past.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:13 am

I discuss these motifs in a larger context in these threads:

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/15461/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-is-an-Occult-Grimoire/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/16014/Beyond-the-Monster-Mother/

Associating Misato with the earth makes sense and I must contemplate it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:46 am

View Original PostCompiling_Autumn wrote:What sun/moon motifs are you referring to? The only one I noticed was in the monologue in NGETV Episode 26, when Asuka laments the midday sun and Rei laments the sitting sun.

Rei is shown against the moon in episode 6.. not to mention the outtro, for what it's worth.
Asuka's reveal in ep. 8 shows her against the sun atop her eva, if I recall correctly. And then there's her clutching at the sun in EoE, though I know that's a loose association.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:17 am

In EoTV, underneath the folding chairs, they're represented by the sun/moon.

strawhatpatriot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby strawhatpatriot » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:28 pm

Asuka's plugsuit and eva are red, and hair is orange (liek the sun can be)

Rei's plugsuit is white, liek the moon, and she's pretty pale.
Congratulations!

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:19 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:In EoTV, underneath the folding chairs, they're represented by the sun/moon.

Oh yeah. That's subtle enough that I'd forgotten.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”