Should Rei have been classified as an angel?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Eva Naut
Banned

Should Rei have been classified as an angel?

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Naut » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:30 am

Do you think Rei shoul have counted as an angel in Eva? I argue yes, because of Kaworu. Since he had the soul of Adam and an AT field, even though he appeared human, they counted it. Rei had the sole of Lilith. Furthermore, Rei's AT field was detected and pattern was blue.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:25 pm

Yes -- she's really the 2½th angel.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:38 pm

She already is, as a member of the 18th Angel.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:48 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:She already is, as a member of the 18th Angel.

By that logic we're all Angels....oh crap.

Nah, she doesn't count as an Angel, despite having the abilities of one. If she did, she'd have been the third angel instead of Sachiel.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Eva Naut
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Naut » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:01 pm

CyberXIII wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:She already is, as a member of the 18th Angel.

By that logic we're all Angels....oh crap.

Nah, she doesn't count as an Angel, despite having the abilities of one. If she did, she'd have been the third angel instead of Sachiel.

IMO, if they counted Kaworu as angel, by SEELE's logic they have to count Rei too.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:48 pm

I would have to say no, Rei should not be counted as an angel. While the Rei-Lilith connection is clear, the Rei=Lilith equality is far from certain.

As suggested by the "I'm Home"/"Welcome Home" dialogue between Rei and Lilith in #26', Rei is only a part, albeit a significant one, of a greater whole. While she does retain some power, as evidenced by here breaking through Kaworu's barrier in #24', it's probably not on par with a complete angel, or indeed Kaworu himself. Not on her own anyway.

Rei is some shard or part of Lilith. It possible that the same holds for the Rei clones in the dummy system. Since Rei herself is not whole, I don't think an angel classification is appropriate.

As to the GNR Rei/Lilith/Kaworu combination in End of Evangelion, well, I think and Angel classification is appropriate in this case. Or perhaps we've transcended even that point?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Instead of the classifications of Angels and humans it's much easier to distinguish them by saying "Adam derived organism" and "Lilith derived organism". Even though Rei is a kind of amalgam of Lilith's soul in the form of Yui she's still clearly derived from Lilith unlike the other Angels.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:39 pm

...She's classified as an Angel in Episode 24', but despite that, what EvaYojimbo said.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:...She's classified as an Angel in Episode 24', but despite that, what EvaYojimbo said.

heh, I was about to mention Ep 24'

She also gets the angel classification as Lilith too

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Were Rei is in the angel numbering is in my opinion an over site of the original show. I like to think of her as a lost angel :ting:
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:13 pm

It's never stated in 24' that Rei is an angel. She just generates an AT field. The Evas do that. I don't think this alone can push Rei up to Angel status.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:45 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:It's never stated in 24' that Rei is an angel. She just generates an AT field. The Evas do that. I don't think this alone can push Rei up to Angel status.

refresh my memory mathis is that the ep kaworu tell her they are the same or what ever?

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:07 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:It's never stated in 24' that Rei is an angel. She just generates an AT field. The Evas do that. I don't think this alone can push Rei up to Angel status.

Doesn't Kaworu say something to Shinji about the AT Field being "the light of the soul" and that all living things have one? I'm guessing only Angels can use AT Fields defensively...

That said, I think of Rei and Kaworu as being technically human/angel hybrids of a sort (would that make them Nephillim, I wonder?).
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:11 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Instead of the classifications of Angels and humans it's much easier to distinguish them by saying "Adam derived organism" and "Lilith derived organism". Even though Rei is a kind of amalgam of Lilith's soul in the form of Yui she's still clearly derived from Lilith unlike the other Angels.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:...She's classified as an Angel in Episode 24', but despite that, what EvaYojimbo said.

I think we're done here. What more is there to say?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:20 pm

That you once again disturb me with your avatar mr monkey. but other then that meh

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:24 pm

DatDude wrote:refresh my memory mathis is that the ep kaworu tell her they are the same or what ever?

There are many parallels between Rei and Kaworu, but Kaworu does not have huge main body hanging down in Terminal Dogma. Remember, Rei had to merge with the larger Lilith mass before Third Impact began.

I think Rei, by herself, is altogether to frail and impotent to be considered as a complete Angel of the same degree as Kaworu and the rest. I'd suggest that not only is her power limited by her separation from the main Lilith mass, and by here human form, but she is also kept suppressed by here cocktail of medications.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:29 pm

MatrixRefugee wrote:I'm guessing only Angels can use AT Fields defensively...

But isn't our AT Fields what we use to keep other people out of our hearts?

:toothy:
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
DatDude wrote:refresh my memory mathis is that the ep kaworu tell her they are the same or what ever?

There are many parallels between Rei and Kaworu, but Kaworu does not have huge main body hanging down in Terminal Dogma. Remember, Rei had to merge with the larger Lilith mass before Third Impact began.

I think Rei, by herself, is altogether to frail and impotent to be considered as a complete Angel of the same degree as Kaworu and the rest. I'd suggest that not only is her power limited by her separation from the main Lilith mass, and by here human form, but she is also kept suppressed by here cocktail of medications.

Not what I asked. .

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:27 am

Well then, yes it was. I thought you were being rhetorical.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:15 am

You're all failing to understand that the numbering system of "Angels" has no real basis in reality and is fairly inaccurate, and only really serves to categorize figures antagonistic to humanity. Rei does not fit this, and does not get an Angelic status for the same reason the Evangelions do not. It's pretty much a reference to how the Ender series categorizes aliens.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”