Who wrote the original dead sea scrolls in eva?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

Who wrote the original dead sea scrolls in eva?

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:58 am

Well, this may turn out to be a boring topic but I figured, hey, why not get the ball rolling, maybe it will inspire greater minds with more intersting topics :) So here goes...

Even though a great deal of what happens in Eva is the design of man (i.e. Seele) and not necessarily "written" or "devine", it seesm plausible that the inspiration for the idea of instrumentality does indeed come from the dead sea scrolls (i.e. that third impact could occur as the result of Adam and Lilith's joining). So my question is who exactly wrote them and when (in the world of Eva, not in our world)? Were these individuals who were simply speculating on the nature of God and a plan for man (and Seele just figured out a way to bring these musings to a physical reality)? Did they have some knowledge of the Angels and the true source of mankind? Was there a "prophet" that brought them some kind of devine message regarding the nature of Adam and Lilith?

Talk amongst yourselves...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:00 am

Personal i think at some point a human cam into contact with adam or lilith and then wrote the scrolls.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:00 am

Well, seeing as Eva is grounded in the real world, it's possible that it's the same person (or people) that wrote them in real life.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:13 am

wildarmsheero wrote:Well, seeing as Eva is grounded in the real world, it's possible that it's the same person (or people) that wrote them in real life.

Its possible...I guess I am more curious as to what the inspiration behind the scrolls was. More specifically, did the original authors truly have some priveleged knowledge as to the origin of man and the potential for third impact, or was it merely conjecture that Seele decided to turn into a reality (made possible through technological advances)? In Eva, the idea that god (or someother supreme/superior beings given the rumors surrounding the PS2 game and previous Gainax statements) or any of its/their disciples actually 'speaks' to man and reveals the nature of being to him is really never dealt with. You are left with more of a view that if god exists, it is content to watch the actors (man and angels) as if it were a play, never really intervening in everyday life. Man and the angels are responsible for their own destiny. Given that it's odd that there would be some link to priveleged knowledge in the form of the scrolls unless there was some early prophet who revealed the true secrets of existence....
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:53 am

I have found this coment from the game :

"Before humanity is born, a prehistoric civilization on the Earth in possession of extremely advanced technology exists in two phases. The initial civilization makes EVA, which is the cause of its destruction, and the next civilization makes the Lance of Longinus to successfully contain EVA. After this, it was a countermeasure for the time when someone revived EVA, putting the angel(s) to sleep with a safety device (to prevent) all self-motion, so to speak."

Maybe, the Dead Sea Scrolls are just a name for something else. Not necessarily the ancient scrolls of the dead sea, but simply a name for something like an agenda that has all SEELE's plans. We all know that in the series they give cool religious names to all kind of things (magi, eva, etc). But i don't like this opinion.

I think that there were realy some people that had more knowledge about Adam, Lilith and the angels. I don't know if the Eva 2 game have the official answers, but some of them are very nice. :wink:
*insert cool signature here*

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:11 pm

I always just thought that they were writtion by some anchiet prophet/pothead who thought he knew a lot about the future
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:49 pm

EVA-01X wrote:I always just thought that they were writtion by some anchiet prophet/pothead who thought he knew a lot about the future

No....NO... *slaps with ruler*

It certainly cannot be knowledge passed on by divine means, the production has repeatedly stated that there is no actual religious truth in it. The Angels aren't actually Angels, and God does not exist in that world. The mythos has been shaped by later spin-offs and offshoots to suggest that there may have been a previous ruined civilization.

Given the level of foresight, that rules out that Seele or any other human wrote these scrolls. Given the prophetic nature of the scrolls it is not likely a written tradition as we would think.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:25 pm

That is why I tried to use "god" as simply a more advanced being/group...so is the game our new 'gospel' then regarding the origin's of man, the angels, etc.??

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

fools

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:54 pm

u fools!!!! the jews wrote them, they don't know who, but they were written i think about 3000-2500 years ago. sry if my dates are wrong.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: fools

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:21 pm

cain luppus wrote:u fools!!!! the jews wrote them, they don't know who, but they were written i think about 3000-2500 years ago. sry if my dates are wrong.

This thread is about the Dead Sea Scrolls in Evangelion, not the real ones.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:21 pm

He is talking about the Seele's SECRET Dead sea scrolls,
Those scrolls were made by people that knew about the angels, and adam and lilith, but why? how? when???? PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME !!!
I can't take all the mistery !!!! :roll: hehe
This scrolls were made maybe by jewish people, but why they knew about the angels and adam and all that?
*insert cool signature here*

yjs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby yjs » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:24 pm

I think the Dead Sea Scrolls (in real life) was written by Jewish scholars a few thousand years ago, and it's most likely to be prophecies. There was a book at the library about the Scrolls, should've picked it up.

Personally I reckon in Eva it's probably the same deal, although divine intervention in the writing of the Scrolls is probably a lot more significant. Whatever higher being governs the world of Eva, be it 'God' or something else must have got someone to write all this stuff down.

Maybe SEELE, being a secret organisation/society was involved in this right from the beginning, when the Scrolls were written.
"Go kill the lights, we'll glow till morning comes..."

My LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/yujin_34/

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:04 pm

Thats one thoery I was thinking of. You know maybe SEELE were those prophets/crackpots? It would explain how they found the damn things in the first place.
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:14 pm

I guess it could have been SEELE, though I'm in doubt. I'm not sure about the anime, but in the manga, there's a flashback sequence of Gendo and Fuyutsuki talking, Gendo says that the plan to "regenerate the original Adam" will continue, but they will now begin "The path to god we have yet to try: The Instrumentality Project." There is, of course the chance that he was lying.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

yjs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby yjs » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:22 pm

'Path to the gods'. Interesting. Would that suggest a proper higher being 'God' or just a general phrase they coined to describe Instrumentality?
"Go kill the lights, we'll glow till morning comes..."

My LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/yujin_34/

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:01 pm

I believe that it was SEELE's plan to merge humanity into their own god. It fits in with Anno's picture of man creating their own destiny.

This post borrowed some phrases from bp32.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

SEELE's history?

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:51 pm

i don't think SEELE had been organized a long time ago, my idea is that they were formed quite recently when the dead sea scrolls had been found and they relized the first, second and third impacts after translation. all i know that the scrolls came from jewish scholars, they were made again (sigh) from about 3000 years ago, why? good question, some say the dead sea scrolls have secret codes, maybe anno thought these codes foretold the ending of the world and the angels and all the good shit. the dead sea scrolls are writings of the torah (the old testament) and some insights on its meanings, the torah was handed down by G-d to Moses and the Isrealites (Jews), so SEELE is using the book given by G-d which might hold the future of man and what not.

hope that clears up everything, i think that should be enough, and if u don't get.....well not much more we can do for u......

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:57 pm

yjs wrote:Whatever higher being governs the world of Eva, be it 'God' or something else must have got someone to write all this stuff down.

ProjectEva, including Anno himself, have stated time and time again, there is no religious truth in Eva. There is no God. The Angels are not really Angels. They used the concepts to differentiate themselves from previous works.

Religious intervention is not a possibility. There is no way of passing down the word from a god that doesn't exist. Humans are not capable of telling the future of man. And the future has been layed out in Eva. Recent works, such as Evangelion 2 have explained issues like this, that the Angels are in fact aliens. Humans were born from one "Seed" (Black Egg) and the angels were born from another seed (White Egg). Whether you consider it canon or not, thats what it essentially is. The dead sea scrolls are remnants from another civilization. Thats what people have been hypothecising for some time now, and Evangelion 2 merely confirmed it for them.

For a bit more on this:

http://www.evaotaku.com/blog/2004/05/secrets-of-evangelion.html

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:58 pm

hmmm, i never really looked from the point of view that eva never included the concept of a higher governing being. i always took a relegious kinda look on it, probably because of all the relegious references. but my view is that it incorparates lots of judeo-christian thoughts in it, supoorting the idea of the judeo-christian god.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:15 am

The religious concepts are something I myself have had to disassociate, in the light of recent statements. Its hard to look at it outside of that Judeo-Christian perspective. But you should, because it will help you rule out certain theories that are tied to religion.

For instance, the theory of Kihl as the wandering Jew is ruled out because there is no actual wandering Jew. The people may believe in one from the bible, but there is no real life wandering Jew. It is simply a myth. And we know this, because of the lack of religious truth in the show.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”